All the Chess Pieces are Beginning to be Positioned for the Inevitable Watson Push!

https://nypost.com/2021/02/23/panthers-flurry-of-moves-all-point-to-deshaun-watson-push/

1 Jets Dr. awfully quiet. 

It’s been quiet on the Deshaun Watson front recently, as the disgruntled star QB appears to be at a stalemate with the Texans. But that hasn’t stopped teams from apparently planning for that stance to change.

The Carolina Panthers made a number of roster moves this week that flew under the radar – but may be designed to clear cap in case Watson became available. Once a “dark horse” to land the star QB, the team appears to be positioning itself to be a major player.

Carolina has cut four players in the past week: former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kawann Short, safety Tre Boston, defensive end Stephen Weatherly and punter Michael Palardy, according to CBS Sports. The moves collectively freed up $25.7 million in cap space, now putting them around $40 million under the cap.

Then, Carolina converted a majority of center Matt Paradis’ base salary into a signing bonus, pushing that money into the future and creating another $5 million in cap space, according to ESPN.

On Monday, Sports Illustrated also revealed that the team is planning to move on from current quarterback Teddy Bridgewater due to his “physical limitations.” Bridgewater does have $10 million guaranteed in 2021, making a cut a bit tricky, but all signs point to the team moving on under center.

All of the moves suggest Carolina is trying to make a run at Watson, who played college football at Clemson – one state away. CBS Sports reported that Panthers owner David Tepper is “fairly consumed” by the prospect of landing the star QB, and they are expected to be major players if he becomes available.

The question, of course, is whether or not he will become available. Houston continues to insist they have no interest in trading Watson. But if the stalemate continues and if the Texans loosen their stance, expect Carolina to make a major push.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For those complaining that the Jets would have to give up too much to get and accommodate Watson, the team you’re really referring to is the Panthers.

Yeah I can’t help but continue to think that folks seeming to believe the Panthers are the front runners is favorable for the Jets since Douglas should be able to top any trade offered from Carolina with relative ease.

• Upvote 4
8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

For those complaining that the Jets would have to give up too much to get and accommodate Watson, the team you’re really referring to is the Panthers.

I would thoroughly enjoy any team other than us giving up all that is necessary to acquire Deshaun and go to successive 4-12, 5-11, 4-12 seasons until Watson demands another trade.

Although, those records will probably be 4-13, 5-12 etc. argh the damn maths!

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
10 hours ago, Wit said:

I think they make a push for Russel Wilson if they are unsuccessful. 

I’m not interested in Wilson due to his age. If there is a trade for Wilson the compensation to the Seahawks should be considerably lower than a potential Watson deal.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Shouldn’t that be “The Official NY Jets Another One” Thread?

You personally start more “Official “ threads than any board member! Were you elected as the Board S.S. Thread Police or did you nominate and elect yourself?

Do you think Maxman is concerned? Does he pay per thread? In a day or so it will be on page 2… so what exactly is up your ass? If you don’t want more threads, stop keeping the thread alive!

Im a Jets fan who is fascinated with the thought of getting Watson  Go piss on one of your own 100 threads you have started  

Music Video Police GIF by Andrew W. K.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Thumb Down 1
11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Shouldn’t that be “The Official NY Jets Another One” Thread?

You personally start more “Official “ threads than any board member! Were you elected as the Board S.S. Thread Police or did you nominate and elect yourself?

Do you think Maxman is concerned? Does he pay per thread? In a day or so it will be on page 2… so what exactly is up your ass? If you don’t want more threads, stop keeping the thread alive!

Im a Jets fan who is fascinated with the thought of getting Watson  Go piss on one of your own 100 threads you have started  

Music Video Police GIF by Andrew W. K.

38 minutes ago, slats said:

If you want Watson this is bad news, not good. Have to think the Texans would prefer to send him to the NFC if they can, and -as I've said before- I don't see Joe Douglas winning a bidding war. I take the man at face value when he says he wants to build thru the draft. Hard to do that when you trade away the #2 overall, another #1 or two, plus additional picks. I think if there's a competition, he'll back out once the price goes over what he's set in his mind as fair value. I think that happens well before the third first round pick. 

If so, I'd commend him for it. Takes a lot of confidence and self-belief to stick to your valuation when you're faced with something as tempting as Watson for an additional pick. I hope we get Watson for a fair value. 

• Upvote 3
13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ok, I'll bite.  What are you willing to give up to get Watson?

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

What can CAR offer in the QB department to HOU?  

Bridgewater?

The #8 pick?  That's good for Mac Jones, maybe Trey Lance. 

I don't see how they can sell that to the fans no matter what else they come up with in that trade, even RunCMC.  So is CAR just fooling themselves or do they have another plan in mind for the cap room?  Maybe a run at Prescott?

They can offer the shiny trinket of McCaffrey. He's a good player, he simply isn't as valuable as a franchise QB. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

If you’re Saleh and Lefleur, are you not salivating at the thought of Watson over 2 rookies with concerns? 

Salivating over sending current starters, 3 1st round picks & additional picks (2nds, 3rds?) in exchange a "disgruntled star" QB? 

NOPE.

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I would thoroughly enjoy any team other than us giving up all that is necessary to acquire Deshaun and go to successive 4-12, 5-11, 4-12 seasons until Watson demands another trade.

Although, those records will probably be 4-13, 5-12 etc. argh the damn maths!

Yawn.

Teams with top 5 QB's don't go 4-12 year after year.  The 2018-19 Texans won back to back division titles.  The 2020 Texans were a dumpster fire, which the 2021 Jets simply will not be, even without (gasp!) the multiple 1st round picks.

Tired, silly argument is tired and silly.  

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yawn.

Teams with top 5 QB's don't go 4-12 year after year.  The 2018-19 Texans won back to back division titles.  The 2020 Texans were a dumpster fire, which the 2021 Jets simply will not be, even without (gasp!) the multiple 1st round picks.

The Jets won 2 games last year, the Jets are going to cough up their high picks. 

the Jets will not be a dumpster fire......

Your argument is tired and silly.  Not one bit of credible arguement as to how the jets are going to be a really good team with the utter lack of talent at many positions. 

Houston and Watson proved last year that just a good QB on a bad team = a bad team.

Other good QBs have faced the same thing, a guy like Stafford good QB bad teams = bad results.

• Upvote 4
14 hours ago, nycdan said:

What can CAR offer in the QB department to HOU?  

Bridgewater?

The #8 pick?  That's good for Mac Jones, maybe Trey Lance. 

I don't see how they can sell that to the fans no matter what else they come up with in that trade, even RunCMC.  So is CAR just fooling themselves or do they have another plan in mind for the cap room?  Maybe a run at Prescott?

The reason CAR could be in the drivers seat is because they can offer a superstar in McCaffrey plus the 8th pick which they could still use on a QB....the pleps love superstars so it will help them sell tickets and save face with some fans and 100 percent of the media.

If an Watson I wouldn’t be wanting to go to the jets due to their history of ineptitude, lack of talent, draft picks it would be similar to Houston. Watson will be going to team who is almost there, Miami or raiders would be my bets in the afc. I would imagine the Texans will trade him to the nfc though, no way Houston management would want to see him on a regular basis, this would put pressure on them from the fans. San Fran would be my pick.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yawn.

Fascinating how you readily oscillate between first round picks being valuable or not valuable based on the narrative you want to push. I guess the first round picks are only valuable to other teams now?

1 hour ago, sackdance said:

Salivating over sending current starters, 3 1st round picks & additional picks (2nds, 3rds?) in exchange a "disgruntled star" QB? 

NOPE.

Where are you seeing this reported...... the Texans beat writer or NJ Advanced Media?? Solid sourcing you got there!

Listen, I understand you want to spend the next decade rebuilding again and again. Let's see how it plays out. You keep complaining and I'll keep hoping.

3 hours ago, slats said:

If you want Watson this is bad news, not good. Have to think the Texans would prefer to send him to the NFC if they can, and -as I've said before- I don't see Joe Douglas winning a bidding war. I take the man at face value when he says he wants to build thru the draft. Hard to do that when you trade away the #2 overall, another #1 or two, plus additional picks. I think if there's a competition, he'll back out once the price goes over what he's set in his mind as fair value. I think that happens well before the third first round pick. 

It really comes down to the Texans.

Texans want one of Darnold/Wilson/Fields + picks - Advantage Jets

Texans want Tua + picks - Advantage Dolphins

Texans don't want a QB this year and would rather punt on the season if it means Watson is in the NFC - Advantage Panthers

I just don't see the Texans taking a deal where they trade Watson and don't get back the guarantee of the QB of their choosing. Carolina can offer a lot. But they can't offer them the choice of Wilson, Fields, etc.

Even the Dolphins can't do that.

Only the Jets can.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

It really comes down to the Texans.

Texans want one of Darnold/Wilson/Fields + picks - Advantage Jets

Texans want Tua + picks - Advantage Dolphins

Texans don't want a QB this year and would rather punt on the season if it means Watson is in the NFC - Advantage Panthers

I have to think that neither Sam nor Tua is the answer they are looking for.

Short of getting a big name in there which they can't afford anyway, they are probably going to have to look to the draft to address the position to the satisfaction of the fanbase.  So it really comes down to whether they are okay with whoever makes it past #2 or if they feel there is one guy they absolutely prefer.  If they have no preference, then MIA will have the slight edge.  Otherwise, advantage Jets.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, undertow said:

The reason CAR could be in the drivers seat is because they can offer a superstar in McCaffrey plus the 8th pick which they could still use on a QB....the pleps love superstars so it will help them sell tickets and save face with some fans and 100 percent of the media.

i had heard that they can’t move mccaffrey without insane cap issues so I don’t see it happening.

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Troll master! Why are you upset? Did he forget *** or the OFFICAL part? Troll!

11 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He is a multitasker; one hand on the mouse and the other one on his cock!

giphy.gif