Good interview with Zach Wilson

JohnnyLV

In reading the opinions of Wilson it seems there are two camps:

One who are impressed with his QB skills and how and where he throws the ball and a second who want to dismiss him out of hand for level of competition, having a young face or being a mormon, with some valid concern of frame and injury thrown in on both sides. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Something about this kid and his sudden rise to QB #2 just screams Mitchell Trubisky. I know Fields has to have a chip on his shoulder the size of Brooklyn after everything he’s gone through this season. If I was a betting man my money is on Justin becoming the best QB In this entire class 

What does Mitch Trubisky have to do with anything? Sure he was a 1 year production QB that had his stock rise before the draft, but even b ack then no one thought he was remotely worth the position he was taken and even then it was considered a reach.

Wilson is a far more talented QB than Trubisky and is largely consider the 2nd best QB in the draft and a consensus Top 5 player.

Not impressed with Fields at all. He can be good in the NFL but he needs an offense like Baltimore's so I just do not see him as a fit for the Jets. We are not scrapping the Shanahan offense to build one for Fields IMO

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Has nothing to do with what I’m saying.

Also that was based in his attitude/personality.

Wilson’s knock is his durability and size.

If Zach Wilson was 6'6" it would make a difference in his draft value.

Ps his personality is also terrible. Diet Rosen

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If Zach Wilson was 6'6" it would make a difference in his draft value.

Ps his personality is also terrible. Diet Rosen

Odd that no one has mentioned anything about Wilson’s personality in a negative light.

While Rosen’s was constantly talked about throughout college and the lead up to the draft.

Height barometer has been shattered by Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. As long as you’re hitting 6’0 now you cross the height threshold.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Odd that no one has mentioned anything about Wilson’s personality in a negative light.

While Rosen’s was constantly talked about throughout college and the lead up to the draft.

Height barometer has been shattered by Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. As long as you’re hitting 6’0 now you cross the height threshold.

scouts hate it when players have other options 

Zach Wilson could just walk away. He doesn't need to play football. Through no fault of his own that wealth makes him a liability. 

this is 2 overall the highest the franchise has picked for 25 years

just passing a threshold isn't doing it 

it's not just height. it's size, durability and competition. All the working out pre-draft he's not going to improve his passer rating vs power 5 teams. 

there's a place for Zach Wilson in this draft, I'm baffled how everyone has him at 2 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is 2 overall the highest the franchise has picked for 25 years

just passing a threshold isn't doing it 

it's not just height. it's size, durability and competition. All the working out pre-draft he's not going to improve his passer rating vs power 5 teams. 

there's a place for Zach Wilson in this draft, I'm baffled how everyone has him at 2 

He has ELITE skills. If you cannot see that you are just being obtuse. Even Greg Cossell is really high on him. Passer rating vs Power 5 teams, yeah could be that the CBs are way better than the WRs. Also if you actually looked at any of the pics of him lately he is WAY taller than Brees and around the same size as Fields. Plus in the video you did not watch he looks bulkier than his college tape.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

He has ELITE skills. If you cannot see that you are just being obtuse. Even Greg Cossell is really high on him. Passer rating vs Power 5 teams, yeah could be that the CBs are way better than the WRs. Also if you actually looked at any of the pics of him lately he is WAY taller than Brees and around the same size as Fields. Plus in the video you did not watch he looks bulkier than his college tape.

im not a QB scout but there was a twitter guy who broke down all their longest passes. Fields has the longest range and easiest getting it out there. His biggest pass was vs Clemson a 69 yard TD. TL was second around 66 yards. Wilson has to run and step into his 61 yard throw. He's getting a super clean pocket in most of his film. Whatever he does post season doesn't change he's not proven vs legit athletes and has no signature win to speak of. I do not buy he's the same size as Justin Fields. But I guess this is a non-combine year so anyone can be anything. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He has ELITE skills. If you cannot see that you are just being obtuse. 

No, he had ELITE time to throw. He was under pressure 0% of the time for the first half of the season.

Seriously. Roll that around on your tongue for while. You want to spend the #2 pick on a fruit cake who's never been kicked in the balls, when a career in the NFL is just a matter how many nut shots can you take and still play. 

Hard pass at #2.

HARD, pass at #2

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Something about this kid and his sudden rise to QB #2 just screams Mitchell Trubisky. I know Fields has to have a chip on his shoulder the size of Brooklyn after everything he’s gone through this season. If I was a betting man my money is on Justin becoming the best QB In this entire class 

You are right, but we all know if the Jets pick a QB with their top pick whether it be at 2 or lower from the pick in a trade down, it is going to be the QB they evaluate as the best fit for the new OC's system and that could be Lance, Fields, or Wilson.

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No, he had ELITE time through. He was under pressure 0% of the time for the first half of the season.

Seriously. Roll that around on your tongue for while. You want to spend the #2 pick on a fruit cake who's never been kicked in the balls, when a career in the NFL is just a matter how many nut shots can you take and still play. 

Hard pass at #2.

HARD, pass at #2

What does this mean?

Insane to me that people are really willing to die on a hill made up of a undersized QB, with durability issues, supposed attitude problems, playing against weaker competition, and who never really beat anyone worth speaking of.  JD won't hitch his career to Wilson, hard for me to see that happening.

Draft Fields, trade down and grab Lance, trade for Watson, or stick with Darnold. Those are the options.

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No, he had ELITE time through. He was under pressure 0% of the time for the first half of the season.

Hard pass at #2.

HARD, pass at #2

Ahh yes the hate him because of his looks crowd. He is a must pick at #2. MUST, pick at #2.. Here is an analy that charts every throw and every situation the QB faces. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/qb-klassroom/quantifying-quarterbacks-zach-wilson

Some stats:

ACCURACY AND ENVIRONMENT

Adjusted Accuracy: 78.53%

Outside the Pocket Percentage: 17.78%

Adjusted Accuracy Outside the Pocket: 62.47%

Under Pressure Percentage: 16.40%

Adjusted Accuracy Under Pressure: 59.72%

Most Common Personnel Package: 11 personnel (44.47%)

Shotgun Percentage: 94.00%

Empty Formations Frequency: 5.54%

Play-Action / RPO Percentage: 34.64%

Play-Action Adjusted Accuracy: 82.13%

Designed Rollout Frequency: 7.85%

And some quotes:

That said, Wilson held up rather well against pressure. His 59.72% adjusted accuracy versus pressure is not quite elite, but it’s right on par with Lawrence, and comfortably above average relative to the 2020 class. Wilson could use some refinement with regards to pocket movement, but he plays with a rare calmness to him that makes it easy to wiggle around pressure and find ways to get the ball out cleanly. It’s rare that Wilson looks overwhelmed by pressure.

While I did just touch on how often Wilson was helped by his receivers, Wilson reciprocated that help plenty. Wilson still finished as one of the most accurate passers I have ever charted, coming in as just one of five QBs to ever clear the 75% accuracy mark. Wilson was particularly accurate from positions in which the offense gave him a bit of a helping hand, i.e. when not pressured or when using play-action concepts. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Insane to me that people are really willing to die on a hill made up of a undersized QB, with durability issues, supposed attitude problems, playing against weaker competition, and who never really beat anyone worth speaking of.  JD won't hitch his career to Wilson, hard for me to see that happening.

Draft Fields, trade down and grab Lance, trade for Watson, or stick with Darnold. Those are the options.

It's insane to me that virtually the entire NFL scouting and professional community have Wilson rated as the 2nd best QB and literally top 5 player in the entire draft..

Yet people on JetNation refuse to accept that because they're incapable of understanding the basic concept of actual NFL translatable Skills----Those skills aren't limited because who he played.  Who he played won't matter on Sundays in the NFL.  The fact is he has a top 5 QB grade based on how his skill-set will translate to the NFL.   Professionals can understand that, JetNation seems incapable of even attempting to comrehend it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

He does not have durability issues, nor attitude problems that claim was solidly debunked by his coach and teammates, Playing against weaker competition does not diminish his skills. There is a reason he is the #2 QB on many if not the vast majority of boards at this time.

He will be the best QB from this class,

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

It's insane to me that virtually the entire NFL scouting and professional community have Wilson rated as the 2nd best QB and literally top 5 player in the entire draft..

Yet people on JetNation refuse to accept that because they're incapable of understanding the basic concept of actual NFL translatable Skills----Those skills aren't limited because who he played.  Who he played won't matter on Sundays in the NFL.  The fact is he has a top 5 QB grade based on how his skill-set will translate to the NFL.   Professional can understand that, JetNation seem incapable of even attempting to understand it.

So true, people just don't like him here because he is Mormon, or more baby faced or perceived to be smaller but they never look at his skills.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So true, people just don't like him here because he is Mormon, or more baby faced or perceived to be smaller but they never look at his skills.

Yes.  I have watched every throw he's made this past year - he's very impressive.  While I do have concerns with his size - I have none about his talent.  He has all the tools to be a true FQB.

Will he become one? I have no idea, QB's are tricky like that - but he's a damn good prospect, one that the Jets would be lucky to have.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yet people on JetNation refuse to accept that because they're incapable of understanding the basic concept of actual NFL translatable Skills----Those skills aren't limited because who he played.  Who he played won't matter on Sundays in the NFL.  The fact is he has a top 5 QB grade based on how his skill-set will translate to the NFL.   Professionals can understand that, JetNation seems incapable of even attempting to comrehend it.

what if Zach Wilson actually doesn't have a top 5 grade it's just a public relations blitz from some deep pocketed three initialed Super agency trying to "Gamestonk" the NFL draft 

guys think they are top 5 all the time and the mock drafts "prove it" and then they slip. It happens every year. Wilson might not actually be as elite as you and other Wilson truthers believe him to be 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

what if Zach Wilson actually doesn't have a top 5 grade it's just a public relations blitz from some deep pocketed three initialed Super agency trying to "Gamestonk" the NFL draft 

guys think they are top 5 all the time and the mock drafts "prove it" and then they slip. It happens every year. Wilson might not actually be as elite as you and other Wilson truthers believe him to be 

That's the kind of stuff that make conspiracy theorist blush.  

Expert evaluate prospects - that's what they do.  They make projections based on those assessment.  There's no hidden agenda.

For reasons I can only speculate on the bulk of posters on JetNation refuse to even contemplate the idea that he's a legitimate NFL prospect.  

Wilson will be the 2nd QB off the board.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Expert evaluate prospects - that's what they do.  They make projections based on those assessment.  There's no hidden agenda.

For reasons I can only speculate on the bulk of posters on JetNation refuse to even contemplate the idea that he's a legitimate NFL prospect.  

Wilson will be the 2nd QB off the board.

Mock drafts are group think quagmires and those that do have legitimate sources are often being lied to 

Wilson might be the 2nd qb off the board that doesn't mean he goes 2 overall 

he's a legitimate prospect he's just not worth 3 mid first round picks (3x 19 overall) which is what 2 pick is worth according to trade value chart. 

that player shouldn't have any questions and reaching for QB need has been proven dumb in recent years. Wentz, Mariota, Trubisky. The Jets can just wait and get Trubisky for free. 

Wilson is under the glare of the microscope this week on JetNation. It was Fields a month ago. Folk nit-picking and looking for reasons not to draft a QB, after getting snake-bitten by Darnold.

The Jets need to find a QB, so it's time to put on our big boy pants and draft one with the number 2 pick. No playing it safe, no trading down, no waiting around until next year, no running it back wih Darnold who has stunk the place up for three years. 

'Scared money don't make you money'. Wilson and Fields are not the finished products, but they are talented guys. I'm perfectly fine with either. Put them in the right system, surround them with talent, coach them up and let's go. 

If we don't lane Watson. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Mock drafts are group think quagmires and those that do have legitimate sources are often being lied to 

Wilson might be the 2nd qb off the board that doesn't mean he goes 2 overall 

he's a legitimate prospect he's just not worth 3 mid first round picks (3x 19 overall) which is what 2 pick is worth according to trade value chart. 

that player shouldn't have any questions and reaching for QB need has been proven dumb in recent years. Wentz, Mariota, Trubisky. The Jets can just wait and get Trubisky for free. 

This is where you lose me.  I'm glad to hear you accept him as a legitimate prospect.

But, if our GM believes he can be our FQB - and if he turns out to be correct and Wilson is has good as I and others think he can be - then he's clearly worth more than what we can get for trading down.

Yes, there's a risk to that, there's a risk the people we draft with those picks bust too.

I think in reality Zach Wilson will be a good NFL QB.  He appears to have a good combination of football smarts and arm-strength.  

Brees was not great physically either.  He worked it.  

If you told me we could keep Darnold for the same or less money for the next 4 years or spend a 2 on Wilson, I may keep Darnold.  

But if to keep Darnold his price practically goes up (I don't think he signs with the Jets for what he is worth), I roll the dice with Wilson, get a draft pick for Darnold, and build around Wilson.  

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think from an arm and NFL ready mindset perspective, Wilson is better than those guys. 

But his physical metrics are going to be worse.  

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is where you lose me.  I'm glad to hear you accept him as a legitimate prospect.

But, if our GM believes he can be our FQB - and if he turns out to be correct and Wilson is has good as I and others think he can be - then he's clearly worth more than what we can get for trading down.

Yes, there's a risk to that, there's a risk the people we draft with those picks bust too.

players like Sewell, Chase etc are not the same bust risks as Wilson and Fields

Wilson could get 2 concussions, decide it's not worth it and retire. There's a non-zero chance of that happening. 

believing a player is a franchise QB is not enough to make him a franchise QB that player requires support and a program around him to succeed

the Jets believed in Darnold and that doesn't help him play better on Sunday 

they need to build the program and draft the savior when they are ready to support this player 

Zach Wilson might be a franchise QB in San Francisco or New England or wherever. He will be brutalized in new york and end up on IR. Perhaps through no fault of his own. if the Jets do pick a QB at 2 i hope it's fields purely cause fields can take punishment. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Ahh yes the hate him because of his looks crowd. He is a must pick at #2. MUST, pick at #2.. Here is an analy that charts every throw and every situation the QB faces. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/qb-klassroom/quantifying-quarterbacks-zach-wilson

Some stats:

ACCURACY AND ENVIRONMENT

Adjusted Accuracy: 78.53%

Outside the Pocket Percentage: 17.78%

Adjusted Accuracy Outside the Pocket: 62.47%

Under Pressure Percentage: 16.40%

Adjusted Accuracy Under Pressure: 59.72%

Most Common Personnel Package: 11 personnel (44.47%)

Shotgun Percentage: 94.00%

Empty Formations Frequency: 5.54%

Play-Action / RPO Percentage: 34.64%

Play-Action Adjusted Accuracy: 82.13%

Designed Rollout Frequency: 7.85%

And some quotes:

That said, Wilson held up rather well against pressure. His 59.72% adjusted accuracy versus pressure is not quite elite, but it’s right on par with Lawrence, and comfortably above average relative to the 2020 class. Wilson could use some refinement with regards to pocket movement, but he plays with a rare calmness to him that makes it easy to wiggle around pressure and find ways to get the ball out cleanly. It’s rare that Wilson looks overwhelmed by pressure.

While I did just touch on how often Wilson was helped by his receivers, Wilson reciprocated that help plenty. Wilson still finished as one of the most accurate passers I have ever charted, coming in as just one of five QBs to ever clear the 75% accuracy mark. Wilson was particularly accurate from positions in which the offense gave him a bit of a helping hand, i.e. when not pressured or when using play-action concepts. 

Not interested in reading this. He did not have to manage pressure. That's a thing that happened.