Sounds like Russell Wilson’s camp is going scorched earth.

T0mShane

I want Wilson, but Zach rather than a 33 year old. 

But there would be something deliciously funny about the Jets publicly offering Seattle their Jamal Adams picks back for Russell Wilson.

Seattle would say no, but to see the Twitter reaction from @Prez would be the greatest moment in Jets fan's history since the overtime versus the Pats. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I've admired him as a player for a long time but do we really want someone his age and making his money playing QB on our team?  I think not.  I'm concerned about the "it's someone else's fault" vibe.  And do we want to be reading about him and his wife on Page 6 every day?  That would be annoying, I think.

I want him.  He can play, he's 32, will give you the 5 years you want and taking him away from Seattle will make the 1 we got from them better than our 1.

What do we hear or care about his wife?  Did we her about Melos wife?  Overrated noise 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Man, teams are weird and I swear, it's like they never learn there lesson.  

Who you want to hang your hat on, Russ or 70 year old Pete Carroll who was a perennial loser in the NFL and cheater in college before Russ came to the rescue.  Below .500 until he got to Seattle, have only missed the playoffs 1 since, and they were still 9-7.  

Look at BB and the Pats.  They're ****ed because they chose a perennial loser over the guy who brought them glory.

Unfortunately, the Jets never take advantage of these situations.  So that's fun! 

Seattle hasn’t made it past the divisional round since 2014. Inexcusable. Carroll should have been long gone already with his archaic offense and lousy defense.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here - but given the cost to acquire him and the state of our roster I wouldn't do this. Assuming he will cost the #2 pick, and 2 of #23 and our 1s next + more... RW's contract expires after 2023 season, which means we'd have three years to build around him before signing him to a new mega deal as a best case scenario. 

Don't know what his cap hit would be with the Jets  b/c it always changes based on what the team trading him has to eat - but even is its subsidized and in the high 20mms I can't see us building a competitor in that window unless JD completely changes his philosophy and starts signing more 1-2 year deals at high #s for established veterans. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the NFL is going to have to deal with how they account for signing bonuses/guaranteed payments/salary cap.

If a player pushes for a signing bonus, and then wants out, do they blow up their team, and its other players, by making the current team take a huge cap hit to off load the player?

NFL teams have to post-guaranteed salary in a deposit account.  Really?  NFL teams don't have credit.  I could securitize the TV revenue.  

I would superstars guaranteed contracts, for injury and skill.  If you want to retire, or if you get convicted or violate the substance rules, you don't get paid.  If you want to hold out and force a trade, you don't get paid.  

The problem with your last paragraph is if players actually do start retiring or holding out, especially the ones who are already set financially, then you are damaging the franchises future to spite the player.  What good does that do?

Let's just pretend Russell Wilson walks in to Schneider's office tomorrow and says I'm done here.  You either trade me or I retire.  And he is steadfast that he will retire.  What good does it do the future of the Seahawks to just let him walk out and get nothing when you could get a good return for him?

If DK Metcalf walks in and says the same thing, it's a different discussion.  Go ahead and retire.  

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I just read this:

"The Seahawks’ offensive line ranked 16th as a unit in pass-blocking grade this season. That may not appear all that impressive on the surface, but it’s the highest they’ve ranked in that area since Russell Wilson has been in Seattle."

What gives?

Russell Wilson holds the ball too long. It's that simple.

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The problem with your last paragraph is if players actually do start retiring or holding out, especially the ones who are already set financially, then you are damaging the franchises future to spite the player.  What good does that do?

Let's just pretend Russell Wilson walks in to Schneider's office tomorrow and says I'm done here.  You either trade me or I retire.  And he is steadfast that he will retire.  What good does it do the future of the Seahawks to just let him walk out and get nothing when you could get a good return for him?

If DK Metcalf walks in and says the same thing, it's a different discussion.  Go ahead and retire.  

Judging by the tenor of the reporting, it doesn’t sound like the Seahawks management would shed too many tears about moving Russell if they can get a bunch of picks back. Wilson has a history of wearing on people, and that team is due for a reset. Miami would be a great trade partner, with Tua going back to Seattle. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Wit said:

I would trade Seattle’s next years back to them for Wilson ?

Would you trade this years Seattle's pick and next years as well?

In essence, the trade is Russell Wilson for Jamal Adams.  And we get a 3rd round pick, and they get our 4th round pick.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t think Russ is a right fit for this team. We’re in rebuild mode, and Wilson is exactly a spring chicken. I can’t see Douglas giving up a ton of picks for him 

Definitely prefer Watson by a wide margin.  But if Watson gets sent off to Carolina and the choice is between Russell Wilson or the Mormon, I'm taking Russ all day.  Good luck, Jamal!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Definitely prefer Watson by a wide margin.  But if the choice is Russell Wilson vs the Mormon, I'm taking Russ all day.  Good luck, Jamal!

The cowardly Jamal Adams passive aggressive tweets about Zack Wilson would be ******* priceless 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Man, teams are weird and I swear, it's like they never learn there lesson.  

Who you want to hang your hat on, Russ or 70 year old Pete Carroll who was a perennial loser in the NFL and cheater in college before Russ came to the rescue.  Below .500 until he got to Seattle, have only missed the playoffs 1 since, and they were still 9-7.  

Look at BB and the Pats.  They're ****ed because they chose a perennial loser over the guy who brought them glory.

Unfortunately, the Jets never take advantage of these situations.  So that's fun! 

Yup.  Russ is no innocent in all of this, but Carroll/Schneider prioritizing conservative play and Safeties over the offensive line for half of a decade was absurd.  You pay Wilson that much of your cap only to not let him have a real say in how the offense is run?  Pure narcissism on Carroll's part.  

Yes, its true that the Legion of Boom played as big of a role or bigger in winning the SB as Russ did.  But you still weren't winning d*ck without a QB.  And those days of dominant defense are long gone in the NFL.  Carroll's failure to adapt will be his undoing.  

• Upvote 2

Effectively he's made over 103 million in his previous 3 years and if he plays out his contract he will only make 70 million in his next 3 years.  That's over 10 million less per year.  He's signing bonus finished paying out in 2020.

Don't discount that this is all about a new contract and money.   Russ is a very good QB who has a very high opinion of himself.  Seattle broke the bank and had to jettison really good players to sign him after his rookie deal.  This isn't about team it's about Russ's pocket book. 

Seattle has paid him over 162 million to date.  They owe him another 70 if he plays through the 2023 season.  I suspect he wants at least 100 million for the next 3 years. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I've admired him as a player for a long time but do we really want someone his age and making his money playing QB on our team?  I think not.  I'm concerned about the "it's someone else's fault" vibe.  And do we want to be reading about him and his wife on Page 6 every day?  That would be annoying, I think.

Not ideal, no, but beggars can't be choosers.  Wilson probably still has at least 3-4 more years of elite level play in him, and he'd instantaneously become the 2nd best QB (at worst) in franchise history immediately upon arrival.  He's annoying, yes.  But he also produces, and we'd all fall in love with him.  

• Upvote 1

If he’s available are we interested. Sure we are depends on the price. Would they accept Sam and our 23rd. Maybe an extra pick like a 3rd rounder thrown in. If Sam’s value is a late first rounder that’s a value of two first round picks plus for Wilson. Not enough? Actually Wilson is right he should be involved more in the game plan. 

41 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I want Wilson, but Zach rather than a 33 year old. 

But there would be something deliciously funny about the Jets publicly offering Seattle their Jamal Adams picks back for Russell Wilson.

Seattle would say no, but to see the Twitter reaction from @Prez would be the greatest moment in Jets fan's history since the overtime versus the Pats. 

"And we want David Putney, too."