Sounds like Russell Wilson’s camp is going scorched earth.

T0mShane

7 minutes ago, King P said:

The Seahawks run a very vertical passing offense. You have to hold the ball longer in order for the play to develop.

He holds the ball forever and a ton of his completions are on broken plays that aren't just deep drops and 20 plus yard designed passing plays.  He's a midget that has to move to create the space to throw and he moves to both create space and allow lots of separation for his receivers.   He can't hit a lot of quick plays because he can't see them and he doesn't have a clean look on a classic short drop.  He is who he is.   

He's a great QB but pass protection isn't his problem.  It's all about the money.

What gets me is where does Wilson, or Watson, for that matter think they'll be traded? 

The teams in the hunt are not that spectacular talent wise and if they have to give up draft capital and a large chunk of cap they're not gonna compete for a championship. 

Seems like a grass is greener type of thing to me. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Who cares. Getting Wilson won’t make any sense since we’re in a rebuild. Besides next years 1st rounder just got much more valuable.

Rebuilds aren't actually a real thing if you have a competent GM/QB combo.  Which we'd have with Wilson aboard.

Trade for Wilson (if we miss out on Watson or he isn't available), sign Chris Godwin and Corey Linsley and let's roll.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Effectively he's made over 103 million in his previous 3 years and if he plays out his contract he will only make 70 million in his next 3 years.  That's over 10 million less per year.  He's signing bonus finished paying out in 2020.

Don't discount that this is all about a new contract and money.   Russ is a very good QB who has a very high opinion of himself.  Seattle broke the bank and had to jettison really good players to sign him after his rookie deal.  This isn't about team it's about Russ's pocket book. 

Seattle has paid him over 162 million to date.  They owe him another 70 if he plays through the 2023 season.  I suspect he wants at least 100 million for the next 3 years. 

....And why shouldn't he?  All of these guys have massive egos, and none of them are willing to take pay cuts.  Tom Brady got paid under the table.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

....And why shouldn't he?  All of these guys have massive egos, and none of them are willing to take pay cuts.  Tom Brady got paid under the table.  

No player in history gouged their team for every nickel harder and left them in worse cap position every year than Drew Brees and I’ve literally never seen one person mention it.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nothing but Russ isn't good enough to take you to a SB if he's the highest paid QB in the NFL.   He hasn't smelled one since he got paid.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rebuilds aren't actually a real thing if you have a competent GM/QB combo.  Which we'd have with Wilson aboard.

Trade for Wilson (if we miss out on Watson or he isn't available), sign Chris Godwin and Corey Linsley and let's roll.

Godwin isn’t going to be available though. 

Just now, Biggs said:

Nothing but Russ isn't good enough to take you to a SB if he's the highest paid QB in the NFL.   He hasn't smelled one since he got paid.

That has a lot more due to with Pete Carroll and John Schneider prioritizing Safeties and ground & pound over passing the ball than it does with Russell Wilson.  

And even if you only look at Russ's career since getting paid, he's elite.  4 out of 5 10+ win seasons, 4 straight 30+ TD seasons and never more than 13 INT in a season.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

For all the he's 32, no thanks folks  -- keep in mind because he's 33 he's not gonna cost what Watson would cost. This isn't gonna be a "three first rounders" type deal.

They almost traded him for 1 overall in 2018. I'd offer 2 overall and see if they're interested.

He's going to cost every dime that Watson is.  He's not going anywhere without a sign and trade deal.  He's pocketed his signing bonus and made over 162 million in 9 years.  He's going to ask for 40 million per in a new contract and get somewhere between 30 and 40 per.   Why do you think he wants out?

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

For all the he's 32, no thanks folks  -- keep in mind because he's 33 he's not gonna cost what Watson would cost. This isn't gonna be a "three first rounders" type deal.

They almost traded him for 1 overall in 2018. I'd offer 2 overall and see if they're interested.

I think the move here is to put out a lot of smoke that the Jets are interested in Wilson and then try to press Caserio in a week with a take-it-or-leave it package.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I would do that trade just so Seattle falls apart and gives us a top ten pick next year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That has a lot more due to with Pete Carroll and John Schneider prioritizing Safeties and ground & pound over passing the ball than it does with Russell Wilson.  

And even if you only look at Russ's career since getting paid, he's elite.  4 out of 5 10+ win seasons, 4 straight 30+ TD seasons and never more than 13 INT in a season.  

Russ can't run a short passing game O with quick hits that replaces the running game.  He can't see on 3 step drops.  

Just now, Biggs said:

He's going to cost every dime that Watson is.  He's not going anywhere without a sign and trade deal.  He's pocketed his signing bonus and made over 162 million in 9 years.  He's going to ask for 40 million per in a new contract and get somewhere between 30 and 40 per.   Why do you think he wants out?

I'm talking about draft compensation.

As far as why he wants out? Clearly not money. He wants more input and power. If I'm Douglas and Saleh and pulling up a seat at the table and forming a triumvirate with Russell Wilson as quickly as possible.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the move here is to put out a lot of smoke that the Jets are interested in Wilson and then try to press Caserio in a week with a take-it-or-leave it package.

This is very very bad for the Texans. The only issue is that Carolina and secretly  Miami seems to have a hard on for him and they aren’t on Wilson’s list. 

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm talking about draft compensation.

As far as why he wants out? Clearly not money. He wants more input and power. If I'm Douglas and Saleh and pulling up a seat at the table and forming a triumvirate with Russell Wilson as quickly as possible.

It's all about money with him.  

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Then you give him 30 or 40 million a year.  What's the issue, exactly?  If the Jets draft Zach Wilson or Justin Fields and he works out, eventually he'll be making 45 million a year.  Yes, there'd be a delay on that, but there's also a good chance those guys won't work out, too.  QB's are risky and costly no matter what we do.  Might as well get used to it. 

We're in a unique position because we can afford a hit like that with relative ease.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Russ can't run a short passing game O with quick hits that replaces the running game.  He can't see on 3 step drops.  

So you're saying he's a bad fit here?  Makes sense.  But good coaches adapt their system to the talent they have.  Obviously Douglas isn't going to make a move like this without Saleh's blessing.  

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm not buying that, because him and Brees are the same height(give or take an inch or 2). And Brees has no problem running a short passing game O with quick hits. So why can't Russ?

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Neither are 30 year old virgins but...

14 minutes ago, King P said:

I'm not buying that, because him and Brees are the same height(give or take an inch or 2). And Brees has no problem running a short passing game O with quick hits. So why can't Russ?

How many QB's have you seen run an O like Drew Brees?  What about Russell Wilson's game reminds you of Drew Brees?  

Don't get me wrong Wilson is a great, elite NFL QB.  He makes big plays in the passing game with his feet and scrambling.   I think he's taken a ton of punishment.  He looked out of it in the playoff game against the Rams and he clearly wasn't the MVP candidate down the stretch of the season that he was early in the season.  I think he's been concussed a number of times and I wouldn't invest a huge amount of draft capital and cap space in him at this point.   I also think he's Revis when he's past his prime and looking for a last huge payday.  I would pass but I get why people love him.  

I don't think he would be a good QB in a rhythm passing game that's based on timing and precision throws.  It's simply not his game.

I can see going all in on Watson but not on Wilson.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

He holds the ball forever and a ton of his completions are on broken plays that aren't just deep drops and 20 plus yard designed passing plays.  He's a midget that has to move to create the space to throw and he moves to both create space and allow lots of separation for his receivers.   He can't hit a lot of quick plays because he can't see them and he doesn't have a clean look on a classic short drop.  He is who he is.   

He's a great QB but pass protection isn't his problem.  It's all about the money.

this is the type of person who says "Sam Darnold is good, Gase was the problem".

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No player in history gouged their team for every nickel harder and left them in worse cap position every year than Drew Brees and I’ve literally never seen one person mention it.

Russell Wilson has made 162 million in 9 seasons.  18 million per.  If he plays out his current contract it will be 232 in 12 seasons.  Brees has made 269 through 20 seasons.  Wilson is killing Brees in compensation over the course of his career by almost 5 million per.