Anyone see Kiper’s new mock?

1 minute ago, GreekJet said:

Has Jets trading with Falcons and selecting Kyle Pitts at #4. At #23 Michigan edge rusher Kwity Paye. 

He has 5 QBs in top 9.

1. Lawrence-Jax

2. Wilson-Atlanta 

7. Fields-San Francisco *trade*

8. Jones-Carolina 

9.  Lance-New England *trade*

Some of these mocks are ridiculous. There’s no chance we are taking Pitts with our first pick 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Has Jets trading with Falcons and selecting Kyle Pitts at #4. At #23 Michigan edge rusher Kwity Paye. 

He has 5 QBs in top 9.

1. Lawrence-Jax

2. Wilson-Atlanta 

8. Jones-Carolina 

What were the term of the Jets/Falcons trade?

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I hate that.

People love Pitts and I get it to an extent, but I would be very upset if we took him at 4.  I would be upset if we took him in the Top 10.

Paye at 23 would be fine, but there are red flags with him.  Seems like Boom or bust to me.  Absolute stud athlete, but production in college was meh.  Some people say that is scheme, but still concerning.

• Upvote 1

Taking Pitts wouldn't surprise me at all...especially with our new offense.  But I would suspect they'd trade down into the 8-9 range to take him, even if it meant two separate trade downs.

Unless the new coaching staff loves Herndon...for whatever reason that might be.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I mean, I want a QB, but Kyle Pitts is one of the best players in the draft in an offense that thrives with a good pass-catching TE. I wouldn't have an issue with the player, more about the plan or lack thereof regarding QB.

I think the biggest problem that so many here on the forum have with keeping darnold and trading back, it’s not that we take pitts or chase.  It’s that there’s still an underlying assumption that a year from now the jets will still need a new qb.  It’s almost as if douglas is deferring the issue for a year, but odds are that darnold is not the answer even if they keep him and improve his surrounding talent.  And at this point, if douglas keeps darnold and doesn’t draft a qb, darnold is douglas’ qb even if he didn’t draft him.  And it’s a great question if douglas wants to be married to darnold.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah, I hate that.

People love Pitts and I get it to an extent, but I would be very upset if we took him at 4.  I would be upset if we took him in the Top 10.

Paye at 23 would be fine, but there are red flags with him.  Seems like Boom or bust to me.  Absolute stud athlete, but production in college was meh.  Some people say that is scheme, but still concerning.

Curious about your opinion. Excluding qb, what are you looking for at that spot if you had to pick?

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I mean, I want a QB, but Kyle Pitts is one of the best players in the draft in an offense that thrives with a good pass-catching TE. I wouldn't have an issue with the player, more about the plan or lack thereof regarding QB.

how many of the top 10 TE's in the NFL were first round picks? picking "non premium" position in the top 5 is how you end up in the bottom 5.

10 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

He has 5 QBs in top 9.

1. Lawrence-Jax

2. Wilson-Atlanta 

8. Jones-Carolina 

I don't have a problem with the Jets taking Kyle Pitts, but not at #4.  You got to assume that both Lawrence and Wilson will go #1 and 2 respectively.  The Jets are sorely lacking a #1 wide receiver, and either LaMarr Chase or Jaylen Waddle will be there at #4, and you can't pass up on that.  If the Jets went down to say #7 or 8, and the best 2 wide receivers are gone, then Kyle Pitts might be the pick.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah, I hate that.

4 is def way too high. You should be able to trade back again. I wonder if people would be as upset if he was listed as a WR.

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Some of these mocks are ridiculous. There’s no chance we are taking Pitts with our first pick 

1 minute ago, Alka said:

I don't have a problem with the Jets taking Kyle Pitts, but not at #4.  You got to assume that both Lawrence and Wilson will go #1 and 2 respectively.  The Jets are sorely lacking a #1 wide receiver, and either LaMarr Chase or Jaylen Waddle will be there at #4, and you can't pass up on that.  If the Jets went down to say #7 or 8, and the best 2 wide receivers are gone, then Kyle Pitts might be the pick.

What if I told you Kyle Pitts frequently lined up out wide, like a 6’6, 240 lb WR. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

What if I told you Kyle Pitts frequently lined up out wide, like a 6’6, 240 lb WR. 

I believe that what the Jets are lacking is a deep threat wide receiver who can stretch the defense and allow players to get open underneath.  Since we lost Robbie Anderson, we don't have that player.  Having that type of player would open up the game for the tight end, assuming they finally try to use the tight end in the passing game.  Robbie Anderson was never a #1 receiver, so you get an immediate upgrade at that position to boot.

Kid Fury Reaction GIF

Hard Pass

100 career receptions

I get the 12 TDs and 17 Yard average in 2020 is stellar..

I'm not spending a top #5 pick on a TE. No matter how awesome one of his years of production is.

F*** Kiper, he literally seems functionally re*******. He is never right I don't know how he stays employed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alka said:

I believe that what the Jets are lacking is a deep threat wide receiver who can stretch the defense and allow players to get open underneath.

Yes, but the Jets are also lacking everything else.  Mims to an extent is a field stretching X with his 4.38, and of the top-3 WRs only one has wheels you speak of (Waddle). 

The WRs we can draft at 23/34 are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the TEs we can find after Freiermuth.  

33 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Pitts, Smith, Waddle, and Chase are all elite. If the Jets go that route they might as well trade with Carolina since one of them will be able there at 8. 

• Upvote 3

2021 NFL Mock Draft - Charlie Campbell

2. NFL Team Logo for Jets New York Jets: Kyle PittsTE, Florida

After missing out on Trevor Lawrence, the quarterback prospects all have serious flaws, so the Jets could decide to build around Sam Darnold and attempt to move down. Some league sources believe that is the direction the Jets are trending if the Texans are unwilling to trade Deshaun Watson. It still is early in the process, however, and a lot could change during free agency and when the coaches start getting more involved, including doing pre-draft interviews.

Many teams around the league have Pitts as the second-highest-graded player in the 2021 NFL Draft and believe he is the best receiving weapon. Certainly, Pitts would be a huge upgrade for the Jets, and he'd give Darnold an elite weapon he has never had before.

Team sources say they think Pitts is a top-10 talent due to his dynamic ability as a receiver, and some scouts feel he is the best receiving weapon in the 2021 NFL Draft. Some think he could play wide receiver and be a poor man's Calvin Johnson. Others think that Pitts should stay at tight end but could be a Travis Kelce- or Tony Gonzalez-caliber weapon. The consensus among team evaluators is that Pitts is a far better tight end prospect than T.J. Hockenson, Ebron, O.J. Howard or Evan Engram.

Pitts was incredible in 2020, showing speed on long touchdown receptions, size on jump balls, superior route-running to create separation, good hands, and dangerous yards-after-the-catch skills. He was too fast for linebackers and some defensive backs while being too big for safeties or cornerbacks in coverage. Pitts is matchup nightmare and the most dynamic mismatch receiving weapon in the 2021 NFL Draft, including Ja'Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith, and Jaylen Waddle. The 6-foot-6, 239-pound Pitts also is known to be a great kid who loves football, works hard, and is a good teammate.

Pitts totaled 43 receptions for 770 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2020. He turned into play-maker in 2019, creating mismatches in the passing game while recording 54 receptions for 649 yards and five touchdowns

23. NFL Team Logo for Jets New York Jets: Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

Clearly, the Jets need more cornerback talent. Here's a potential starting outside corner with a lot of upside.

While teammate Israel Mukuamu received more media attention coming into 2020, some team sources shared they preferred Horn as a prospect for the NFL. They felt Horn is a more fluid athlete and faster. Those evaluators liked Horn's ability to run the route and prevent separation.

Horn looked very good in 2020, holding his own against Florida's dynamic receivers and dominating Auburn. He totaled 16 tackles, two interceptions and six passes defended for his season. Horn opted out of the final three games of the year after head coach Will Muschamp was fired.

Horn broke into the starting lineup as a true freshman and showed improvement in his sophomore season. He has quality size to him and has shown a nice ability to break up passes. Horn (6-1, 205) helped himself as a junior, showing improved ball skills. Jaycee Horn is the son of former Saints wide receiver Joe Horn.

34. NFL Team Logo for Jets New York Jets: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

The Jets need a feature running back to help their offense. Here's a running weapon who also will help their passing offense.

Etienne is not the biggest of backs, but he runs hard for his size and is fast with the ability to rip off long runs on any carry. He also could be an excellent receiving weapon in the NFL because he is a threat to take short check downs for long gains. Etienne totaled 168 carries for 914 yards - 5.4 average - and 14 touchdowns with 48 receptions for 588 yards and two scores in 2020. He also suffered from ball-security issues over the course of the season, fumbling against Boston College, Syracuse and Georgia Tech.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pounder played well for Clemson in 2019, showing the speed to break off long gains on any carry. He averaged 7.8 yards per carry for 1,614 yards with 18 touchdowns. He also made 37 receptions for 432 yards and four touchdowns. Etienne averaged 8.1 yards per carry in 2018 for 1,658 yards with 24 touchdowns. He also caught 12 passes for 78 yards and two scores.

66. NFL Team Logo for Jets New York Jets: Jayson Oweh, OLB, Penn State

New York could use more edge-rush talent.

Oweh flashed some edge-rush potential for Penn State. In 2019, he totaled five sacks and 21 tackles. Oweh made 38 tackles in 2020, but he didn't notch a sack. The 6-foot-5, 252-pounder could stand to get stronger and become a more well-rounded player in the NFL.

86. NFL Team Logo for Jets New York Jets: Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State

The Jets can always use more weapons at this point.

Wallace recorded 59 catches for 922 yards and six touchdowns in 2020. He had 53 receptions for 903 yards and eight touchdowns in 2019 before going down with a season-ending injury. As a sophomore, he caught 86 passes for 1,491 yards with 12 touchdowns. Wallace (6-0, 185) might fit best in the NFL as a slot receiver because team sources say Wallace is not as big as his listed numbers. They feel he is similar to Josh Doctson, but Wallace is smaller. They call Wallace a tough receiver who plays big but lacks speed. They state he runs good routes and runs well after the catch, but doesn't have a special dimension of mismatch size or speed.

• Upvote 2

Its not a good look for Shanahan to pick Fields while the Jets stick with Darnold.

Presumably, the knock on Fields was that he was not a fit with a Shanahan offense.   That may be a negative stereotype. 

If Fields is good enough to run a Shanahan offense and be picked at 7, the Jets should take him at 2 or 4, unless they think that Darnold is better.  I don't know how you conclude that. 

• Upvote 1