Jump to content

Tamorrion Terry


Recommended Posts

 

What is your take on him? I loved him last year, thought the offense held him back. He was a borderline one trick pony with the go route but he had elite skills for that route. His second gear while tracking a ball was elite level skill. I figured he'd take a step up, develop his other routes this year, but it was a disaster. He left the team so it's basically like he sat out the year.

 

I see him projected in the later rounds now, and my line of thinking for late round picks is chasing skill and elite traits. He brings one elite trait to the party, which has me really intrigued.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry is a freak. Probably the most prototypical WR in the draft physically. Having a bad season and then leaving the team was a mess. He’s probably either going to be good or out of the league but I’d have no issue taking that chance anywhere on day three. I assume interviews will be key for him.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree.  Stephen Hill type vibe, but I don't think that is as bad as most here.  He is big and fast and looks liek he will put in work in the run game.  Seems super inconsistent catching the ball.  Most of the time I think that is bad because where I grew up playing we looked at it more as a natural talent than a learned skill.   Still, one look and you know he can play in the league. If he is willing to work he can probably  excel on specials.  Late round and humble, I'd love him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry is a freak. Probably the most prototypical WR in the draft physically. Having a bad season and then leaving the team was a mess. He’s probably either going to be good or out of the league but I’d have no issue taking that chance anywhere on day three. I assume interviews will be key for him.


Yeah there was a shot at Round 1 with him if he improved but I would be fine with a 4th Rd pick on him, maybe even a middle 3rd.
Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree.  Stephen Hill type vibe, but I don't think that is as bad as most here.  He is big and fast and looks liek he will put in work in the run game.  Seems super inconsistent catching the ball.  Most of the time I think that is bad because where I grew up playing we looked at it more as a natural talent than a learned skill.   Still, one look and you know he can play in the league. If he is willing to work he can probably  excel on specials.  Late round and humble, I'd love him.


His main issue is going to be his route tree and route stems. He runs the go and the double move well, but otherwise limited.

However, I think his ability to keep separation while tracking the ball is elite.
Link to post
Share on other sites
I had kind of been thinking of the late Chris Henry in terms of risk/reward although I think Henry was thicker and Terry is faster.


Honestly, not as familiar with Henry, so I don't know. I'd love to see what he runs because low 4.3, he's going to move up the boards.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Terry a lot as a late round prospect to take a flyer on. There's a number of WRs in this draft class who I wouldn't mind if the Jets took a flyer on later in the draft. In particular Smith-Marsette (who I've mentioned a few times).

I also really like Jonathan Adams Jr. out of Arkansas State. I know these are just highlights but he has great ball skills and seems like a really nice fit for the X WR spot across from Mims. One concerns you notice right away is that he doesn't seem to get much separation but then if you pay attention you will see he get mauled, held and underthrown on almost every play and STILL makes the catch. Pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see what he runs. I doubt he is slow. 

The BEST WR You’ve NEVER Heard Of || Arkansas State WR Jonathan Adams Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Size/Speed guy whose game reminds me of Demarius Thomas. Gets free releases all game on this tape, so I have no idea how he handles a physical corner. He absolutely eats up space on the CB and he can take it the distance as a YAC guy. His routes need a lot of work as he tends to round them out. As a day 3 pick, I can get on board with picking him as a developmental guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brett Kollman has him as an underrated prospect.  I feel like there will be some good finds at WR in the middle rounds this year, the fact so many WR's were drafted last year.   Clip starts at 11:37.  I like some of the other guys he listed as well

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, win4ever said:

 

 

 

What is your take on him? I loved him last year, thought the offense held him back. He was a borderline one trick pony with the go route but he had elite skills for that route. His second gear while tracking a ball was elite level skill. I figured he'd take a step up, develop his other routes this year, but it was a disaster. He left the team so it's basically like he sat out the year.

 

I see him projected in the later rounds now, and my line of thinking for late round picks is chasing skill and elite traits. He brings one elite trait to the party, which has me really intrigued.

 

He drops a lot of passes. Needs to add muscle and fill out his frame, get stronger. The latter doesn't really bother me as that can be done with gym work. The lack of concentration and passes being dropped bothers me a lot and is a big red flag, and automatically scratches a WR off my radar. His tracking the ball isn't elite. He misplays the ball at times. He needs to work on his hand/catching technique to avoid those concentration drops/get his hands out quicker to make cleaner catches. He's basically boom or bust. As a Jets fan... in a deep draft at the WR position, not grabbing a guy in the 2nd-3rd round with these weaknesses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Terry.  He's beastly. 

I'm telling you, the more I look at the names of these folks, there are some really good players with late round value at WR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

I like Terry.  He's beastly. 

I'm telling you, the more I look at the names of these folks, there are some really good players with late round value at WR.

I was saying this to someone privately the other day and it bears repeating.  I really think with the increase in availability of private position trainers, and the growing popularity or 7v7 tournaments (especially in the south) there is going to be an increase in viable depth at both the QB and WR positions.  

I cant even tell you how many of these small school college kids are working with the legit best of the best in terms of movement trainers, WR trainers, QB coaches... It used to be only the top prospects, but its not uncommon for guys like OBJ or or Diggs to be working in the same session as these kids from like Colorado State University or some other small school.  There has been such an increase in availability of quality position coaching and opportunity to start younger and younger at the finer parts of the position that these kids are just getting better and better.  Thats why I think we're seeing all this depth come out lately. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2021 at 10:53 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I said it in another thread, but I actually spotted him blocking while watching Cam Akers highlights.  He was noticeably bigger and faster than everybody else.  

I noticed him last year I think on Bryce Hall film.  Hall got an interception or something returned for a TD, but I thought Terry was a freak,  

I'm going to upload a gif at the end of it.  It's a simple double move and pretty much every speed WR in college will get open on this.  What I care about is his separation on a play like this.  He maintains (and possibly extends) his separation as he's tracking the ball, which I think is an elite skill.  Naturally, when you run and look backwards, you are going to run slower because your mechanics are off.  Sometimes you'll see bad skills in this where the receiver is floating towards the sidelines because they aren't great at maintaining speed while tracking.  The head and shoulder pointing inside causes them to counteract the hips, and slowly drift to the outside.  It slows them down enough that the DB catches up.  

On this play, when he first comes into the frame during the pass, he's running right on the 30 yard sign (to the outer edge), and he maintains that same area on the 40 yard sign.  He doesn't drift until the midfield mark to adjust for the ball.  You can also see the defender isn't looking back at all, running straight ahead and still not gaining any ground.  

To me, being able to keep your speed while tracking is a major advantage.  The CB isn't as well versed, so they'll lose speed if they look back, and if they don't look back, you have the advantage.  I don't want to reference Randy Moss (because Terry is not Moss by any means), but part of what made Moss so hard to defend on go routes was his ability to maintain that speed while tracking the ball.

His other stuff are all over the place, route running is basic.  And his release when pressured needs work too, as you can see he's far too used to having free releases due to his speed threat.  

On 2/27/2021 at 3:22 PM, PepPep said:

I like Terry a lot as a late round prospect to take a flyer on. There's a number of WRs in this draft class who I wouldn't mind if the Jets took a flyer on later in the draft. In particular Smith-Marsette (who I've mentioned a few times).

I also really like Jonathan Adams Jr. out of Arkansas State. I know these are just highlights but he has great ball skills and seems like a really nice fit for the X WR spot across from Mims. One concerns you notice right away is that he doesn't seem to get much separation but then if you pay attention you will see he get mauled, held and underthrown on almost every play and STILL makes the catch. Pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see what he runs. I doubt he is slow. 

The BEST WR You’ve NEVER Heard Of || Arkansas State WR Jonathan Adams Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

  

He's one I need to look at.  I'm a bit scared to deep dive into them, fall in love, and then be devastated when we pick a DL or something.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, maury77 said:

Size/Speed guy whose game reminds me of Demarius Thomas. Gets free releases all game on this tape, so I have no idea how he handles a physical corner. He absolutely eats up space on the CB and he can take it the distance as a YAC guy. His routes need a lot of work as he tends to round them out. As a day 3 pick, I can get on board with picking him as a developmental guy. 

Yeah, at this point he's a day 3 pick.  I thought he had a chance at the first if he showed consistent improvement this year, but he went backwards.  He's not all that good with releases, mainly because I think corners always respected his deep speed.  He certainly needs work on his routes, but I see him as say Year 2 Robbie Anderson coming in.  He can blow the top off any defense, but isn't really running anything else, unless it's just a gimme pass.  But that potential is through the roof.  

On 2/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, Marshmello said:

Brett Kollman has him as an underrated prospect.  I feel like there will be some good finds at WR in the middle rounds this year, the fact so many WR's were drafted last year.   Clip starts at 11:37.  I like some of the other guys he listed as well

 

 

Yeah, I saw that the other day, I think he might move up the boards if he blows up at his Pro-day.

On 2/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, BklynJetsFan85 said:

He drops a lot of passes. Needs to add muscle and fill out his frame, get stronger. The latter doesn't really bother me as that can be done with gym work. The lack of concentration and passes being dropped bothers me a lot and is a big red flag, and automatically scratches a WR off my radar. His tracking the ball isn't elite. He misplays the ball at times. He needs to work on his hand/catching technique to avoid those concentration drops/get his hands out quicker to make cleaner catches. He's basically boom or bust. As a Jets fan... in a deep draft at the WR position, not grabbing a guy in the 2nd-3rd round with these weaknesses. 

I think his ability to maintain speed while tracking is elite, and transfers over to the NFL.  Everything else needs work, his release, route, and hands need to improve.  However, he has the size/speed, and I think that ability to maintain speed really intrigues me because he can probably be had in the 3rd.  

That offense at FSU was a mess, with horrible QB play, which masks some of the shine, in my opinion.  Put him with Fields, and I think he'll thrive. 

On 3/1/2021 at 12:57 PM, JiF said:

I like Terry.  He's beastly. 

I'm telling you, the more I look at the names of these folks, there are some really good players with late round value at WR.

It's a really deep draft, especially because it's hard to scout them due to the pandemic.  I'm not sure how to value their contributions this year as opposed to a normal year, which means there could be some studs that slip through the crack.  

I hope we double dip in the draft for receiving threats.  

Ideally, I want a slot/shifty guy like Moore to pair with a size/speed guy like Terry in the draft.  Can have 3 guys that can all run down the field (Mims) and open up some options.  I know JD preached speed, but I don't know if the philosophy has changed.  

On 3/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, Chrebetfan80 said:

I was saying this to someone privately the other day and it bears repeating.  I really think with the increase in availability of private position trainers, and the growing popularity or 7v7 tournaments (especially in the south) there is going to be an increase in viable depth at both the QB and WR positions.  

I cant even tell you how many of these small school college kids are working with the legit best of the best in terms of movement trainers, WR trainers, QB coaches... It used to be only the top prospects, but its not uncommon for guys like OBJ or or Diggs to be working in the same session as these kids from like Colorado State University or some other small school.  There has been such an increase in availability of quality position coaching and opportunity to start younger and younger at the finer parts of the position that these kids are just getting better and better.  Thats why I think we're seeing all this depth come out lately. 

I agree, especially in the South, even high school football feels like some form of professional sports.  Constant training, watching diets, and all forms of techniques.  

Terry 1.gif

Edited by win4ever
Edit: Forgot to add the GIF
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 3:31 PM, Chrebetfan80 said:

I was saying this to someone privately the other day and it bears repeating.  I really think with the increase in availability of private position trainers, and the growing popularity or 7v7 tournaments (especially in the south) there is going to be an increase in viable depth at both the QB and WR positions.  

I cant even tell you how many of these small school college kids are working with the legit best of the best in terms of movement trainers, WR trainers, QB coaches... It used to be only the top prospects, but its not uncommon for guys like OBJ or or Diggs to be working in the same session as these kids from like Colorado State University or some other small school.  There has been such an increase in availability of quality position coaching and opportunity to start younger and younger at the finer parts of the position that these kids are just getting better and better.  Thats why I think we're seeing all this depth come out lately. 

To my own point on small school guys and nfl stars working together in the offseason

 

Watson and trey lance have been working together down in ATL... Trying to see what WR's are there, i saw robert foster in the group trying to see who else is down there at that time. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...