Pauline: NYJ going to be big players in free agency and targeting Trey Hendrickson

Not sure why anyone would be against signing Hendrickson.

The guy is a great athlete, plays a premier position, is only 26 years old and has gotten better every year.

Those are the types of guys that you spend big money on in FA.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BLA BLA BLA. He said the same thing last year, Jack Conklin was a lock. 

I'd love if they signed this guy. Would be huge on this defense.

I don’t know much about this guy honestly but his highlights above did not look as impressive as one would think. I feel like some of those sacks were mainly coverage sacks. We do not have the seconda

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The guy is a great athlete, plays a premier position, is only 26 years old and has gotten better every year.

Because we need offense.  It's an offensive league and we have no one that's any good at it.

Spending so big on defense would be a very large sign to me that JD doesn't know what he's doing.

• Thumb Down 1
6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I'm not against it.

It is a little worrying giving someone a huge payday when their 4 year sack history is 2, 0,  4.5, and 13.5

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm not against it.

It is a little worrying giving someone a huge payday when their 4 year sack history is 2, 0,  4.5, and 13.5

He played at FAU. Very raw when drafted. He was handled well by the Saints. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

No sh*t we need offense but we’ve also needed a quality edgerusher for the last 15 years and counting.

It’s also clear that Saleh highly values guys who can get after the QB above all else. Two years ago the 49ers went out and traded a 2nd round pick for Dee Ford and gave him an $85 million contract in addition to also drafting Bosa #2 overall.

Signing Trey Hendrickson doesn’t prevent the Jets from upgrading the offense.

?

• Thumb Down 1
Just now, FidelioJet said:

?

What’s confusing?

The Jets could sign Hendrickson and still have plenty of cap space for one of the top wideouts, one or even two of the top OL and then go bargain shopping for the rest of FA.

Then they’re set up with a boatload of draft picks to further bolster the offense.

• Upvote 1

Very few are happy to sign with the Jets.   Mosley.  Barr.  Paradis. Cousins.  I don't think Bell wanted to be a Jet, but they made the best offer.

Seems like the Jets get stuck having to spend money on turds like Trumaine Johnson.

Believe it when I see it...

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Very few are happy to sign with the Jets.   Mosley.  Barr.  Paradis. Cousins.  I don't think Bell wanted to be a Jet, but they made the best offer.

Seems like the Jets get stuck having to spend money on turds like Trumaine Johnson.

Believe it when I see it...

Well, it's cause the team is always losing.

People are excited to win.   Who is excited to go to a team with a psycho eyed coach that wins 3 games?   Hopefully JD and our new coach can change that.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

What’s confusing?

The Jets could sign Hendrickson and still have plenty of cap space for one of the top wideouts, one or even two of the top OL and then go bargain shopping for the rest of FA.

Then they’re set up with a boatload of draft picks to further bolster the offense.

I'll try and explain this as best I can....

Let's say the Jets have $50mm in open cap space....

If they use a minimum of $15mm on this guy - that means they only have $35mm to the others.  It's pretty straight forward math.

There are high level Guards, Centers and WR's available in FA this year - all top 10 players at their positions.  Our premium resources should be focused solely on offense.

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

They aren’t going to have $50 million in cap space.

They’re set to have $68 million and that’s before getting rid of guys like Henry Anderson, Alex Lewis, Josh Doctson and potentially Crowder.

The Jets could have around $90 million in cap space when all is said and done.

I’d gladly take $15 million from the stash and devote it towards a guy who can put the QB on his ass regularly and is just hitting the prime of his career.

Okay then.  That's fine to have an opinion - just as long as you agree that signing this guy will absolutely limit what we can do on offense.

My opinion is all premium resources should be dedicated to offense over the next two years - go ahead and build your defense after you have an NFL caliber offense - which we haven't had in a decade. 

You want a pass rusher.  Fair enough.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

Hendrickson was a small school, plus athlete who was always going to need some developing.

Exactly. Look at his film this year. I love him as a player. Quick first step. Great hands. Great motor. He'd be just as good here, or better. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Okay then.  That's fine to have an opinion - just as long as you agree that signing this guy will absolutely limit what we can do on offense.

My opinion is all premium resources should be dedicated to offense over the next two years - go ahead and build your defense after you have an NFL caliber offense - which we haven't had in a decade. 

I’m saying they can do both.

Let’s say the Jets make Hendrickson, JuJu and Linsley their big 3 free agent signings. Then they use the bulk of the remaining cap space to re-sign Maye, add a veteran RB to the backfield, CB and LB depth, etc.

Then come draft time they have at least 3 picks in the Top 35, two 3rd’s, a 4th, two 5th’s...you’re telling me they can’t further improve the offense with that kind of capital?

They absolutely can and I strongly suspect they will.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Pass rusher's help the offense. Hendrickson will do just as much to help as a Will Fuller, would. Much less 3rd down conversions by the other teams offense. No.

• Upvote 1

Would love to see it. He’s a good fit in Saleh’s system. Hopefully JD learned his lesson last year and makes some aggressive offers. Players aren’t going to come here without overpaying. Unfortunately that’s the name of the game in free agency. If you don’t cough up the cash, someone else will.

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

They aren’t going to have $50 million in cap space.

They’re set to have $68 million and that’s before getting rid of guys like Henry Anderson, Alex Lewis, Josh Doctson and potentially Crowder.

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Okay then.  That's fine to have an opinion

• Haha 4
24 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

Just listening to Hendrickson on SXM , the host Aquib Talib was basically telling him to sign with the Jets and Saleh will make him a star. We really got a coach that every player wants play for.

That is so exciting.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, genot said:

Doesn't matter. He's got great hands, and good technique. Makes up for his wingspan

the appeal of Trey Hendrickson is that Quinnen can be like Cam Jordan. He's a secondary dude he's not the dude. He's better than they've had in ages but it's a low bar 

• Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the appeal of Trey Hendrickson is that Quinnen can be like Cam Jordan. He's a secondary dude he's not the dude. He's better than they've had in ages but it's a low bar 

Very few can get the job done without help. Reggie Wbite had Jerome Brown. That was my argument with Leo. Went to the Giants, had Lawrence and Tomlinson taking the heat off him and he exploded.

39 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The best argument for adding an established athlete on the edge is that an absolute stiff like Jordan Jenkins got seven sacks in the defense, so imagine what a dude who can move laterally could produce. I don’t think a guy like Hendrickson would even hit the market on most teams, but the Saints are so screwed cap-wise they have no choice

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

1w32tk.jpg

25 minutes ago, genot said:

Very few can get the job done without help. Reggie Wbite had Jerome Brown. That was my argument with Leo. Went to the Giants, had Lawrence and Tomlinson taking the heat off him and he exploded.

Reggie White didn't have JB in Green Bay.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'll try and explain this as best I can....

Let's say the Jets have $50mm in open cap space....

If they use a minimum of $15mm on this guy - that means they only have $35mm to the others.  It's pretty straight forward math.

There are high level Guards, Centers and WR's available in FA this year - all top 10 players at their positions.  Our premium resources should be focused solely on offense.

I completely agree, but I have a feeling Saleh is going edge with the 23rd pick. If he signs a guy in FA that may turn into a WR in the draft. I would go after the GB center, WR, Edge and Corner in FA. Whatever position gets left out from getting a premium player I would address in the first 3 picks in the draft-  assuming we don't land Watson (which I really, really hope we do). If no Watson, go QB, WR, Guard (assuming we sign an edge and corner).

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best argument for adding an established athlete on the edge is that an absolute stiff like Jordan Jenkins got seven sacks in the defense, so imagine what a dude who can move laterally could produce. I don’t think a guy like Hendrickson would even hit the market on most teams, but the Saints are so screwed cap-wise they have no choice

He would be a great signing. Have no idea why anybody would say otherwise.