The Sharps Know Watson Will Be a Jet

T0mShane

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I liked both Chad and Coles so we do agree on that.. Watson shouldn't have signed that contract if he wanted out.. And there is a big difference dealing with college media and NY NFL media which is much worse then when Joe played..

Haha common ground is a good thing. But he was on the biggest stage a 21 year old qb has ever been on and he handled it. I don’t hold it against Watson for wanting out with the stories coming out of Houston. He’s been nothing but a pro in every instance that he’s been in the spotlight. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold or a placeholder vet like a mariotta or bridgewater or winston or both.

That is my number one preference.

Ok, so after our losing season in 2021, when Darnold isn't extended and goes into Free Agency, or one of your Castoff Vets puts up a typical castoff JAG Vet level of performance, what then?  

I mean you don't really see any of those guys as a long term starter or winning a title here with the Jets...do you?

So you've kicked the can down the road a year, fine, maybe we're a bit better in 2022 at this point, but what then? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok, so after our losing season in 2021, when Darnold isn't extended and goes into Free Agency, or one of your Castoff Vets puts up a typical castoff JAG Vet level of performance, what then?  

I mean you don't really see any of those guys as a long term starter or winning a title here with the Jets...do you?

So you've kicked the can down the road a year, fine, maybe we're a bit better in 2022 at this point, but what then? 

You've kicked the can down the road and built a much better team that at this point is totally talent-less in many positions.

You then look at the draft for your next QB or look to trade for a higher end vet (see the trend thus year of good vets being available) and you have draft pick ammo to make a move.

Qb is the most important position on a team but its been proven time and again if you do not have one it is folly to force up value.

The league is littered with tribiskys, mariotas, bortles, gabberts, lockers, winstons etc

The Jets finally have lots of draft resources over the next two drafts to get better very quickly, to shoot the load on a Qb or gamble on a QB at #2 if you are not sure is not the way to go.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jet fans have been conditioned to be happy to be mediocre.  

a 10 win - WC, first round loss seems to be the bar around here....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

to shoot the load on a Qb or gamble on a QB at #2 if you are not sure is not the way to go.

What's makes you think the Jets don't love the QB they would take at 2?

And let's say you're right - Do you think it would be better to trade up to 5 from 8 to take a lesser prospect QB you love less next year?

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not just the draft picks, it's also the money.  Paying him what needs to be paid removes the ability to fix the team with free agents as well.

The Jets are not in a position to give up 4 first rounds picks and pay a 4 win QB $30mm with the current talent on the roster.

Bottom line, the Jets roster is by far worse than the Texans, not sure why anyone thinks we'll be any better with Watson as the QB.  Maybe we'll win 6 games instead of 2 (or the 4 Watson won with a better roster) but upgrading the roster with whatever cap space is left.

Watson is a great fit for a team that has an established roster, missing a QB (much like Tampa last year)

Sorry man, I had to thumb you down. He is going to cost 10m this year + Darnold's trade.

2 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Sorry man, I had to thumb you down. He is going to cost 10m this year + Darnold's trade.

You have to look at the whole contract not next year.  GM's have to look at big picture when signing people - it's not a one year projection.

It's not like they can sign Thuney to $50mm deal next year - it has to be spread out.   His overall contact will prevent the Jets from signing the players they want next year - over and above his cost next season.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You have to look at the whole contract not next year.  GM's have to look at big picture when signing people - it's not a one year projection.

It's not like they can sign Thuney to $50mm deal next year - it has to be spread out.   His overall contact will prevent the Jets from signing the players they want next year - over and above his cost next season.

If this is the case, we should just keep recycling QBs and cut/trade as many restricted/unrestricted players.

At some point in time, we need to spend. If it means getting Watson, then we pay now.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You've kicked the can down the road and built a much better team that at this point is totally talent-less in many positions.

Facts not as yet in evidence. 

So far, Douglas is a 50/50 at best, with only one real hit (Becton), a guy who is a beast in the run and an average guy in the passing game.

The rest of his FA and draft picks are a wasteland of "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" to-date.  We'll see in 2021 in they amount to anything, but we don't know that yet.

You then look at the draft for your next QB or look to trade for a higher end vet (see the trend thus year of good vets being available) and you have draft pick ammo to make a move.

I think that's a massive presumption as well, that we won't find ourselves once again in QB-hell in 2022 wondering how many #1's we'll have to trade to move up to draft a QB, a low-probability act in and of itself in every cycle (we're 0-3 the past 25 years, with Pennington, Sanchez and Darnold).

Qb is the most important position on a team but its been proven time and again if you do not have one it is folly to force up value.

The league is littered with tribiskys, mariotas, bortles, gabberts, lockers, winstons etc

In a league littered with castoff failed top draft picks, you want to wait (and play a failed top draft pick in the interim), then draft another QB who is more likely than not to be another failed top draft pick?

Because it's too risky to trade a few #1 picks for a guy who has been a top 5 guy at QB.

The Jets finally have lots of draft resources over the next two drafts to get better very quickly, to shoot the load on a QB or gamble on a QB at #2 if you are not sure is not the way to go.

To sit still and lose led by Darnold again seems to not be a great option either.

I get it, with the Evil that is Gase gone, maybe he and we won't suck so bad, right?  But then again, if that's true, maybe we would suck alot less with a legit top 5 NFL QB instead of the worst QB in the NFL the past three years?

I get it, it's risky as hell, and it's alot to give up.  But in three years would it be alot when we look back and we got a bust Edge who wasted out after two seasons, an average starting O-lineman, and a solid #2 starting CB for those three #1's?   Sure, if Douglas knocks it out of the park and drafts four all-pros, it's closer to a tossup.  

Do you think JD is going to draft three all-pros with his next four #1 picks?

I guess we'll see.  I see logic in both arguments, but passionately I'd rather go for it, to go down TRYING with an elite guy leading us, rather than sit, and wait, and hope our draft picks work out (something that hasn't happened in decades and so far doesn't look likely IMO with Douglas).

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Draft picks are over rated, lots of busts go get the QB!  We have gobs of cap space!

Draft picks are NOT overrated. The teams that win SBs have an elite QB almost always and have drafted well. Just because there is a lottery aspect to picking players does not devalue their worth.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Draft picks are NOT overrated. The teams that win SBs have an elite QB almost always and have drafted well. Just because there is a lottery aspect to picking players does not devalue their worth.

Draft picks mean absolute dick unless the QB is elite. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You keep drafting them until you find one.  That's how you do it.  

For instance, You can draft Mark Sanchez at five one year, then Geno Smith at 39 a few years later, then Christian Hackenberg at 51 a few years after that, and then Sam Darnold at 3 after that!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You keep drafting them until you find one.  That's how you do it.  

You rather see Watson with the Phins? That would make them a dangerous team. I'm not baptizing them, but they will elevate their game. We might end up last in the division until we acquire am elite QB.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For instance, You can draft Mark Sanchez at five one year, then Geno Smith at 39 a few years later, then Christian Hackenberg at 51 a few years after that, and then Sam Darnold at 3 after that!

The Jets clearly made wrong choices. No argument there...

Sanchez took us to 2 championship games and Darnold was dealt quite possibly the worst hand any top QB has ever been dealt.

We past on Pat Mahomes and Watson by kicking the can down the road because our 2nd round Hackenberg was there...

When you have a chance to take a top QB high you take him and hope you chose wisely...but then you need to support him - not drafting DT's and corners and spending big on Edge's.

Draft a QB and do everything you can to support that QB - that's how you build a winner.

8 minutes ago, Bronx said:

You rather see Watson with the Phins? That would make them a dangerous team. I'm not baptizing them, but they will elevate their game. We might end up last in the division until we acquire am elite QB.

I think the Phins are better suited to take on Watson - for sure.  Would I like him there, of course not.  But the Jets shouldn't' making choices about their QB with any other team in mind than theirs.

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Exactly, I agree this is why giving up MASSIVE draft capital to get a QB when your team stinks is a huge risk.  Monumental risk and an all eggs in one basket kind of thing.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Facts not as yet in evidence. 

So far, Douglas is a 50/50 at best, with only one real hit (Becton), a guy who is a beast in the run and an average guy in the passing game.

The rest of his FA and draft picks are a wasteland of "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" to-date.  We'll see in 2021 in they amount to anything, but we don't know that yet.

I think that's a massive presumption as well, that we won't find ourselves once again in QB-hell in 2022 wondering how many #1's we'll have to trade to move up to draft a QB, a low-probability act in and of itself in every cycle (we're 0-3 the past 25 years, with Pennington, Sanchez and Darnold).

In a league littered with castoff failed top draft picks, you want to wait (and play a failed top draft pick in the interim), then draft another QB who is more likely than not to be another failed top draft pick?

Because it's too risky to trade a few #1 picks for a guy who has been a top 5 guy at QB.

To sit still and lose led by Darnold again seems to not be a great option either.

I get it, with the Evil that is Gase gone, maybe he and we won't suck so bad, right?  But then again, if that's true, maybe we would suck alot less with a legit top 5 NFL QB instead of the worst QB in the NFL the past three years?

I get it, it's risky as hell, and it's alot to give up.  But in three years would it be alot when we look back and we got a bust Edge who wasted out after two seasons, an average starting O-lineman, and a solid #2 starting CB for those three #1's?   Sure, if Douglas knocks it out of the park and drafts four all-pros, it's closer to a tossup.  

Do you think JD is going to draft three all-pros with his next four #1 picks?

I guess we'll see.  I see logic in both arguments, but passionately I'd rather go for it, to go down TRYING with an elite guy leading us, rather than sit, and wait, and hope our draft picks work out (something that hasn't happened in decades and so far doesn't look likely IMO with Douglas).

I'll go back to the two teams in this past super bowl, both were mostly built before getting their QB.

One with a great young star in Mahoomes and one added and old vet hof QB.

Both teams were mostly built.

I simply see us and Houston essentially trading places if we trade massive resources to get watson.

Think as badly  of Sam Darnold as you like he was put behind the 8 ball with a pure shi* team talent wise.

A guy in Mark sanchez who was also not good walked into a built team and had success.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What's makes you think the Jets don't love the QB they would take at 2?

And let's say you're right - Do you think it would be better to trade up to 5 from 8 to take a lesser prospect QB you love less next year?

If the Jets have a guy they love at 2 they will pick him, nothing I say will change that.  For me there are two guys there who have some very nice traits but also big enough questions to not go all in on.

There are hot shot college guys every single year.  And often more than one we do not have slotted as a #1 guy right now.

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the Phins are better suited to take on Watson - for sure.  Would I like him there, of course not.  But the Jets shouldn't' making choices about their QB with any other team in mind than theirs.

We know that, but it still doesn't change the fact that we are.probably not going to be the best team in the division.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the Jets have a guy they love at 2 they will pick him, nothing I say will change that.  For me there are two guys there who have some very nice traits but also big enough questions to not go all in on.

There are hot shot college guys every single year.  And often more than one we do not have slotted as a #1 guy right now.

Yes, but eventually you need a QB.  I mean the Generational guys only come around..well...once in a generation.  We can't exactly wait for them.

You have to take a QB when you have a chance to take one.  

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This can happen to any QB or player.  It could happen to Josh Allen next year.  It could happen to Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.  Why is this such a fear that a move like this shouldn't happen?  Athletic, mobile QB's are the way of the NFL, and it's not going away.  All 4 of the top QB's in the 2021 class rely heavily on their legs.  

@Jetsfan80 and @Dcat  you guys are responding to a follow-up in which I quoted @FidelioJet and agreed that I disagree with the throw away of all of the draft picks, and pretty much half of our salary cap, when basically all we have to boast is that we have one good offensive lineman and one good defensive lineman.

It's a waste of the entire plan of how to build a football team and very Woody Johnsonish Lol!

Hey one can dream and of course Watson is a damn good player oh, but look around the league. Look at the Bucs, the Bills, Colts, the Saints  just to name a few. My point is all of these teams are stacked, or at least have Superstar players at several positions.

Trading away half of our top end draft capital, and taking on a huge financial strain not only ruins our ability to build our team through the draft but also through free agency.

I don't think just because DeShaun Watson comes to the Jets everybody's going to take a discount cuz they can't wait to play with him LOL! Especially when he's going to be running for his life just like Sam Darnold was last year. Not to take away from any of the All world players on our team, but come on man.

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not just the draft picks, it's also the money.  Paying him what needs to be paid removes the ability to fix the team with free agents as well.

The Jets are not in a position to give up 4 first rounds picks and pay a 4 win QB $30mm with the current talent on the roster.

Bottom line, the Jets roster is by far worse than the Texans, not sure why anyone thinks we'll be any better with Watson as the QB.  Maybe we'll win 6 games instead of 2 (or the 4 Watson won with a better roster) but upgrading the roster with whatever cap space is left.

Watson is a great fit for a team that has an established roster, missing a QB (much like Tampa last year)

This isn't true at all. Watson will count $10.5 million on the cap this year. He will attract some nice free agents and we'll have plenty of money to sign them. If we get a center/guard in FA or the draft, sign a WR, CB and Edge, and draft depth in rounds 2, 3 (two picks) and whatever pick we get for Sam, that's more than enough to be a solid team. Bring back Mosely, Hall and a few other rookies will have playing time under their belts and boom - it's a good team. Mims, Crowder, Robinson/Samuel/Godwin, Herndon will be enough to win with. I would add another WR in the draft or FA.

• Upvote 2