The Sharps Know Watson Will Be a Jet

T0mShane

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Even if you look at total value of Watson's contract it's a favorable deal.

$10.5

$35

$37

$32

$32

When you consider Dak, Lamar and Allen are all going to get contracts in the $35-$40m range this off-season it's even better.

Free Agents do want to play for the Jets, or at least it appears that way thanks to the Saleh hiring. Adding a legit top 5 QB will certainly not hurt that, rolling with QB 32 or a rookie probably won't have the same effect. I mean heck we've already seen Robinson get excited about Watson to the Jets, just having people talking positively about a 2 win team is completely flipping the script on us.

This is all assuming he doesn't hold out on us.  And there's no reason to think he won't.

What's to stop a guy that just forced his way off a team from holding out on the team, that just gave up 4 first round picks for him, ransom?

Y'all are looking at that contract and saying how great it is, but it's almost certain he's going to demand a new one.  

Love Watson, said years ago we should have drafted him, that he was a winner. Many here who are willing to now mortgage the future, never wanted him.
Sorry but, Watson time has passed and although he will make some team a great starter, that team should not be the Jets. We have to many holes to fill to be giving that many draft picks away. Considering we could trade out of the 2 spot and add even more picks, this year and next could build a
winning team for the next 6 years.
With all the QB movement this year who says we will not end up with a very good starter when it all shakes out. We do not need a Tom Brady type if we fill the team with good offensive talent around that starter.
Hell we could bring back Fritz for 2 years while we develop either a young QB we drafted or even Morgan if the potential is there. What I’m saying is we need a good experienced game manager who can read defenses and play within the system. This could be a Dak, or Teddy,or Garoppolo even Winston, if any of those guys are cut lose.
Not sure if Sam can be turned around and maybe a fresh start is the best thing for him and us. Yet, with enough talent around him this year, even that becomes an option if the Jets staff feel that they can help him progress.
So trading away our future once again to bring a very talented QB with nothing but very now level talent around him will once again lead to many years of mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Y'all are looking at that contract and saying how great it is, but it's almost certain he's going to demand a new one.  

We can't build a team based off assumptions or speculations. He is a star QB and the most important player.. Pay him the money and grab him(assuming that he will be traded)!

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is all assuming he doesn't hold out on us.  And there's no reason to think he won't.

What's to stop a guy that just forced his way off a team from holding out on the team, that just gave up 4 first round picks for him, ransom?

He hasn't held out due to money before and he's signed 2 different deals.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Deshaun Watson will waive his no-trade clause to play for the Jets, but he also hates the Jets, will be shocked to find out that they have no talent (because he doesn’t have internet access) and also he will hold out for a new contract and also he will hate New York style pizza. He will also probably be the Gilgo Beach killer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:48 AM, bitonti said:

The idea that Houston has to trade him before the 21 nfl draft is an artificial time line. It's possible that Russell Wilson gets out of Seattle before Watson gets free of Houston. The Texans front office are not rational actors and are going to make him earn it. And if he does get out it has to be out of the conference. 

This could be the problem. Dealt away a primo WR for....magic beans and some recycleables. Have now let Watt go for nothing. Fired one head coach, then  empowered a Jesus freak GM not even the Pats could stomach, and then fired him. This is their laundry in public; has to be even worse in house. Suspect you get these guys on the phone, think you have a deal and then they will go back and talk about it and change their minds 180 degrees ever 10 minutes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I am impressed that you are able to think that the Jets cannot build a team around Watson because of how big his contract is, while also being confident that Watson will hold out because so many inferior qbs will be making more than him.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Only four 1st round picks?  Come on.  You know we're going to spend at least six first round picks.  Maybe seven.  Why sugar coat it?

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Only four 1st round picks?  Come on.  You know we're going to spend at least six first round picks.  Maybe seven.  Why sugar coat it?

thats what were going to spend on drafting QBs until Watson retires  in 10 or more years.

if Sanchez turned out to be our FQB he would still be here today. we wasted 7 picks on QBs in that time.

1st rd. Darnold

2nd rd. Geno and Hackenberg

4th rd. Morgan and Petty

6th rd. Boyd

7th rd. McElroy 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

This could be the problem. Dealt away a primo WR for....magic beans and some recycleables. Have now let Watt go for nothing. Fired one head coach, then  empowered a Jesus freak GM not even the Pats could stomach, and then fired him. This is their laundry in public; has to be even worse in house. Suspect you get these guys on the phone, think you have a deal and then they will go back and talk about it and change their minds 180 degrees ever 10 minutes. 

This is actually a legitimate problem, as it would likely be easier to deal with an experienced GM who knows what he doing and isnt influenced by a lunatic and owner who somehow loves the lunatic.

22 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm a full blown draftnik geek. Because the Jets suck so bad, many of us enjoy the draft season more then the regular season.  The glimmer of hope, if you will but at the end of the day, picks are simply resources and bargaining chips and that is how you have to view them. You cant be a simple, one track mind on how to acquire talent.  Not everyone can draft like the Steelers and Packers and not that it was egregiously bad but it's not like JD hit a homerun with his first draft. We got 1 dude and a bunch of hope.  It's a gamble.  Always.  No matter how good you think the prospect is.  

The stars are aligning where something that never, ever happens, is happening and it just so happens that Jets for once in my lifetime are actually the team in the driver seat.   For once in my lifetime, the Jets have a chance at a top 5 player in the entire league, who is awesome, a superstar and just all around incredible man and this fan base is like, nah, I really want that Guard or that Right Tackle who may be a gigantic bust.  WTF?  

The Rams trade picks like candy and have one of the best rosters in the league.  So dumb this notion the Jets will never ever be able to acquire talent because of Watson is legit, the worst and dumbest take rolling around this board. 

I keep hearing, it HAS to be done this way; draft a QB, draft weapons around said QB.  Sure, that is one way...but then look at the Bills, who did they draft to help surround Josh Allen?  Diggs was a trade, Brown and Beasley were FA's.   Look at the Browns; Hunt, Landry, Hooper all Free Agents, OBJ a trade.

It doesnt have to be done one way, it can be done anyway, it just has to be done well and the biggest and best investment/commitment you can make is to a top 3 QB at 25 years old.

To your point about the Steelers, GB etc. the best drafting teams usually draft well because they have their QB in place and dont get their hands forced by having to move up and/or trade picks to acquire one.  They can actually let the draft come to them.

And yes, can a large contract hurt a team in FA, sure, but smart teams use comp picks to make up for the lack of cap space and continue to build around their QB.

Watson isnt a 31 year old QB who is available for the wrong reasons.   This situation is very rare in that the player is young, under contract, elite and available due to another team's inepititude. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

To your point about the Steelers, GB etc. the best drafting teams usually draft well because they have their QB in place and dont get their hands forced by having to move up and/or trade picks to acquire one.  They can actually let the draft come to them.

And yes, can a large contract hurt a team in FA, sure, but smart teams use comp picks to make up for the lack of cap space and continue to build around their QB.

Watson isnt a 31 year old QB who is available for the wrong reasons.   This situation is very rare in that the player is young, under contract, elite and available due to another team's inepititude. 

100%.  That's luxury of having a superstar at QB.  You dont have to be perfect when you have an eraser at QB.   It's how the Pats got away  away with being one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL with Brady at the helm.

The idea the salary is crippling is again, just sillyness.  Eventually, you have to pay.  I'd rather pay Watson then do something like the Eagles or Rams did an pay fools gold a mega contract.  

The league is changing, be the team that's out in front of it.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Deshaun Watson will waive his no-trade clause to play for the Jets, but he also hates the Jets, will be shocked to find out that they have no talent (because he doesn’t have internet access) and also he will hold out for a new contract and also he will hate New York style pizza. He will also probably be the Gilgo Beach killer. 

He'll waive the no trade clause because he wants out.  The Jets are one of only a small handful to teams that can afford him with both cap space and picks.

A QB using the Jets as a patsy to get away from his current team - but always knowing it wasn't his true destination.  I guess you're right, I can't imagine that ever happening.  No QB would ever do that!

8 hours ago, chad2coles said:

I am impressed that you are able to think that the Jets cannot build a team around Watson because of how big his contract is, while also being confident that Watson will hold out because so many inferior qbs will be making more than him.

The Jets would have given up 4 1st round picks for him - he will have ALL the leverage.  He can pretty much demand whatever he wants.

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

The most recent reports I've seen is Woody is back, wants DW at all costs and willing to pay 4 1st, a 3rd and a Bringing in DW is completely his M.O.  Woody loves the back page.

7 hours ago, doitny said:

thats what were going to spend on drafting QBs until Watson retires  in 10 or more years.

if Sanchez turned out to be our FQB he would still be here today. we wasted 7 picks on QBs in that time.

1st rd. Darnold

2nd rd. Geno and Hackenberg

4th rd. Morgan and Petty

6th rd. Boyd

7th rd. McElroy 

That doesn’t include the 2 2nds end a 3rd they traded to move up from 6 for Darnold. And how much better would mims have looked last year w a good an throwing him the ball?

• Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The most recent reports I've seen is Woody is back, wants DW at all costs and willing to pay 4 1st, a 3rd and a Bringing in DW is completely his M.O.  Woody loves the back page.

Yes, I saw that in the OshKosh Examiner and echoed in the Peoria Journal News as well.  Aren't you tired of quoting the trash journalism out there that forms a giant echo chamber were all 27 articles point back to a single unfounded speculative quote from PFT yet?  Seriously, we have no idea what's happening at One Jets Drive, but the Jets are highly unlikely to be paying four 1st round picks, including the #2, and throwing in more, for Watson.

I'm curious.  If the get Watson for two 1sts and a 2nd, will you be disappointed?  Because you seem incredibly invested in this narrative way beyond any shred of actual realism.  Is it just so you can bash them for not drafting Zach Wilson?  I can't figure out if there is any other scenario you would accept as reasonable.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll waive the no trade clause because he wants out.  The Jets are one of only a small handful to teams that can afford him with both cap space and picks.

A QB using the Jets as a patsy to get away from his current team - but always knowing it wasn't his true destination.  I guess you're right, I can't imagine that ever happening.  No QB would ever do that!

BC5ADDCB-68B9-4DA3-B1C6-DE7F021124CC.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

100%.  That's luxury of having a superstar at QB.  You dont have to be perfect when you have an eraser at QB.   It's how the Pats got away  away with being one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL with Brady at the helm.

The idea the salary is crippling is again, just sillyness.  Eventually, you have to pay.  I'd rather pay Watson then do something like the Eagles or Rams did an pay fools gold a mega contract.  

The league is changing, be the team that's out in front of it.

What about making a run at TL instead?   At least find out what it would take to get to #1 and compare TL on a rookie contract vs. Watson on a market deal.  

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes, I saw that in the OshKosh Examiner and echoed in the Peoria Journal News as well.  Aren't you tired of quoting the trash journalism out there that forms a giant echo chamber were all 27 articles point back to a single unfounded speculative quote from PFT yet?  Seriously, we have no idea what's happening at One Jets Drive, but the Jets are highly unlikely to be paying four 1st round picks, including the #2, and throwing in more, for Watson.

I'm curious.  If the get Watson for two 1sts and a 2nd, will you be disappointed?  Because you seem incredibly invested in this narrative way beyond any shred of actual realism.  Is it just so you can bash them for not drafting Zach Wilson?  I can't figure out if there is any other scenario you would accept as reasonable.

You make it seem like having this sh*tty of a team is okay as long as we have Watson.  I know you watched the same team I did last year.  Do you really think Watson would have made that team good?  Seriously?  I certainly don't and maybe that's where we are at a disconnect.

Now, if we can get him for 2 1's and a 2 - Sure, go for it.  It's worth rolling the dice.   

Would you trade Becton, Williams and Mims for him? That's the last 2 1's and 2.

My biggest concern really is that he leaves the moment he can - so if we give up all those picks and in 3 years we're looking for a QB again - then this move was a disaster.  Problem is probably going to take that long to rebuild this roster.

Whoever the QB we end up with I'll be a fan of....Right now this Watson thing just wreaks of fools gold to me.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You make it seem like having this sh*tty of a team is okay as long as we have Watson.  I know you watched the same team I did last year.  Do you really think Watson would have made that team good?  Seriously?  I certainly don't and maybe that's where we are at a disconnect.

Now, if we can get him for 2 1's and a 2 - Sure, go for it.  It's worth rolling the dice.   

Would you trade Becton, Williams and Mims for him? That's the last 2 1's and 2.

My biggest concern really is that he leaves the moment he can - so if we give up all those picks and in 3 years we're looking for a QB again - then this move was a disaster.  Problem is probably going to take that long to rebuild this roster.

Whoever the QB we end up with I'll be a fan of....Right now this Watson thing just wreaks of fools gold to me.

I'm not arguing with that point.  I just don't think it's even remotely possible we send the package for Watson you seem so ready to believe.  

As for whether he tries to blast his way back out in 3 years, I can't say.  But isn't that true of almost any player?  My sense is, if the team is well managed and successful, it's less likely in general.  There are still malcontents (or Jamalcontents) that will never be happy, but I don't yet sense that Watson is one of those.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm not arguing with that point.  I just don't think it's even remotely possible we send the package for Watson you seem so ready to believe.  

As for whether he tries to blast his way back out in 3 years, I can't say.  But isn't that true of almost any player?  My sense is, if the team is well managed and successful, it's less likely in general.  There are still malcontents (or Jamalcontents) that will never be happy, but I don't yet sense that Watson is one of those.

It is true of any player but we're not giving up 4 first round picks for any player

It's going to be harder to be well managed and successful giving up 4 first round picks.  

You think it's 2 firsts and a second.  I think it's 4 firsts.  That's a pretty big gap, we'll see what Jax ends up getting.

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

What about making a run at TL instead?   At least find out what it would take to get to #1 and compare TL on a rookie contract vs. Watson on a market deal.  

Well, the Jaguars arent openly advertising their pick in the fashion that Watson is advertising his want to get out.  So it hasnt been a discussion in the way that Watson has but I can tell you on very good record, the Urban Meyer hire came with a caveat, he has to take Lawrence.  The Jags 100%, tanked the season.  Traded or out right cut there best players and intentionally started the QB's who gave them the lowest odds for win.  They've been all in on TL since before the start of the season and basically Meyer had to commit to taking TL.

If drafting a QB was the route, I'd rather just take Justin Fields at #2 then trade up for Lawrence, who IMO is the most overrated prospect quite possibly in the history of the NFL.  That said, the reason I'm advocating for Watson is because I have nowhere near the confidence in any of these prospects as I do Watson....and besides, I've stated numerous times, Watson's contract doesnt hold the Jets back.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, the Jaguars arent openly advertising their pick in the fashion that Watson is advertising his want to get out.  So it hasnt been a discussion in the way that Watson has but I can tell you on very good record, the Urban Meyer hire came with a caveat, he has to take Lawrence.  The Jags 100%, tanked the season.  Traded or out right cut there best players and intentionally started the QB's who gave them the lowest odds for win.  They've been all in on TL since before the start of the season and basically Meyer had to commit to taking TL.

If drafting a QB was the route, I'd rather just take Justin Fields at #2 then trade up for Lawrence, who IMO is the most overrated prospect quite possibly in the history of the NFL.  That said, the reason I'm advocating for Watson is because I have nowhere near the confidence in any of these prospects as I do Watson....and besides, I've stated numerous times, Watson's contract doesnt hold the Jets back.

I cannot see Urban trading for Watson and letting Watson soak up all the credit for any Jaguars success that may occur moving forward. If the Jags do well, Urban is going to need the story to be about him, not any player they bought.