Nightmare scenario: What does JD do in the draft and free agency if Deshaun Watson ends up in Miami?

It’s a scenario no Jets fan could stomach but it’s certainly possible. I would think with Watson and Allen in our division along with the Patriots always lurking, JD would probably go with the slow and steady approach of building a winning culture knowing we have little chance to compete in our division for several years. I can envision us keeping Sam and trading back the #2 for more picks. Any thoughts???

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

If the Jets make a fair offer for Watson and he ends up in Miami, so be it. But if we're looking for a template to model, it's not Miami's, it's Buffalo's. 

Buffalo did a great job evaluating Allen coming out of college. They didn't fixate on his level of competition or struggles against Power 5 opponents. They saw his physical traits and coachability, and understood he could succeed at the next level in the right environment.

The Jets have the same opportunity now. Let's how we don't over-think it again. 

Absolutely... Some of the best QB's did not go to the big 3 schools, like BAMA, OSU etc... This staff needs to evaluate a QB based on his skills. I don't care if he didn't go to those premier schools, Phil Simms, Allen, Rapelesberger, etc came from schools that most would shun taking a QB from. 

You build the best possible team you can and let the chips fall where they may. If I told you 6-7 years ago that the NFC South team that would win the Super Bowl first would be Tampa you’d think I was nuts. 

Look at the QBs in that division at the time:

Newton, Brees, Ryan. Tampa had Josh McCown. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Good question because the reality is we suck in our division because the offseason is a competition and we have consistently lost that competition especially compared to our division rivals.  Miami is much better than us and ahead of us on the rebuild with or without Watson.  You could also ask what happens if we pass on a QB and the Pats get Lance, Fields or Jones and they turn him into a stud?  We could be in the basement for years.  

This is a huge off season for the Jets.  The object is not just to get better but to get better compared to the competition.  We have lots of options to improve our team but every action has a reaction that our competitors will try and exploit.   The Pats need a QB and if we pass on one it's another opportunity for them to get one. 

• Upvote 3

Nobody knows what the future holds. In years gone by, New England was predicted to be a bottom of the division team. Won the division that year. The rest is history. I would love Watson with the Dolphins. Maybe, (along with internal competition), it will light a fire under Darnolds ass. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 3

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

It’s a scenario no Jets fan could stomach but it’s certainly possible. I would think with Watson and Allen in our division along with the Patriots always lurking, JD would probably go with the slow and steady approach of building a winning culture knowing we have little chance to compete in our division for several years. I can envision us keeping Sam and trading back the #2 for more picks. Any thoughts???

With 3, 18 and Tua, Fins are in best shape to get Watson. And Fins are not shy with cutting their losses like the Browns have done over the recent years.  That seems to be a better package than we could offer unless you go full Mike Ditka and trade away 4 1st's and a few players.  Don't see or want to see JD do that.    I'm really leaning with trading back, not to far, where we can draft one of Fields, Wilson, Lance.  They all are young, raw and have similar skill sets.  If we can trade Darnold and the #2 to Atlanta or Cincy, we could get a couple extra first rounders and a 2nd or 3rd in the least.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Nobody knows what the future holds. In years gone by, New England was predicted to be a bottom of the division team. Won the division that year. The rest is history. I would love Watson with the Dolphins. Maybe, (along with internal competition), it will light a fire under Darnolds ass. 

Well if that's your goal, then mono wasn't quite the right communicable disease.  Keep trying, Sam.

• Haha 1

Just now, Wonderboy said:

With 3, 18 and Tua, Fins are in best shape to get Watson. And Fins are not shy with cutting their losses like the Browns have done over the recent years.  That seems to be a better package than we could offer unless you go full Mike Ditka and trade away 4 1st's and a few players.  Don't see or want to see JD do that.    I'm really leaning with trading back, not to far, where we can draft one of Fields, Wilson, Lance.  They all are young, raw and have similar skill sets.  If we can trade Darnold and the #2 to Atlanta or Cincy, we could get a couple extra first rounders and a 2nd or 3rd in the least.

You are making a very tenuous assumption that the Texans would see Tua as their QB going forward.  I have no such sense that he's viewed that way.  Removing him from the equation, our picks slightly trump MIA's.  Everything really boils down to the fact that they probably need to bring in the QB of the future this season.  It could be Tua.  It could be the #2 pick.  It could be the #3 pick.  This is why I don't think CAR really has a chance unless there is a second trade up involved.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well if that's your goal, then mono wasn't quite the right communicable disease.  Keep trying, Sam.

Either Sam, as a QB, is what he is, or his play, and the play of the offense was a product of weak talent, and history making bad coaching. If it's the later, i expect some great rivalries over the next 5 years. Hopefully the AFC east doesn't beat the hell out of each other, so one of us can advance to the big game

• Upvote 2

If the Texans pick the Dolphins over the Jets, the Jets need to at least drive up the price as high as possible.  Unless the Texans actually think Tua is the answer at QB, they are going to have to make up the difference between #2 and #3 in a big way because the Texans aren't getting Zach Wilson at #3 and Justin Fields has the same agent as Watson.

If Watson goes to Miami, the Jets are not going to contend for a division title for a long time.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You are making a very tenuous assumption that the Texans would see Tua as their QB going forward.  I have no such sense that he's viewed that way.  Removing him from the equation, our picks slightly trump MIA's.  Everything really boils down to the fact that they probably need to bring in the QB of the future this season.  It could be Tua.  It could be the #2 pick.  It could be the #3 pick.  This is why I don't think CAR really has a chance unless there is a second trade up involved.

That's the same point with Darnold.   Darnold doesn't make a trade happen it's the 2 pick for a QB in this draft that makes it happen.  I believe Tua or Darnold would be traded elsewhere if there was a trade for Watson by either team.

I honestly think Miami will be where he goes.  They have lots of draft picks to trade and the team as a whole is further along...therefore giving up picks hurts them much less than us.  
Miami beat us 44-3 in 2 games last year with Fitz as Qb.  Stay the course, build the team....don’t go wild trying to outbid Miami and deplete all of our much needed resources to rebuild this team.

High profile trades of superstar players often times do not work out....lots of examples across all 4 major sports. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

If the Texans pick the Dolphins over the Jets, the Jets need to at least drive up the price as high as possible.  Unless the Texans actually think Tua is the answer at QB, they are going to have to make up the difference between #2 and #3 in a big way because the Texans aren't getting Zach Wilson at #3 and Justin Fields has the same agent as Watson.

If Watson goes to Miami, the Jets are not going to contend for a division title for a long time.

The Dolphins are going to have to send 4 first round picks for Watson.  He just went 4-12 with the Texans.  He’s not Aaron Rodgers enough with this hysteria already

The Jets need to focus on the Jets. Build up the roster into a bully, create pipelines at key positions. The Steelers and Ravens haven't had the best QB, yet their records over the past 2 decades... 

image.png.16185e742829818f17f782ff9b5de8cd.png

And no, I'm not trying to compare the Jets to historic organizations. The point is that you need to build your own program before you worry about what others are doing. For the past 2 decades our entire philosophy was build teams to beat the Patriots. Where did that get us? Baltimore moved over from Cleveland, had the right team building philosophy and have thrived throughout their existence. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2