Nightmare scenario: What does JD do in the draft and free agency if Deshaun Watson ends up in Miami?

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Dolphins are going to have to send 4 first round picks for Watson.  He just went 4-12 with the Texans.  He’s not Aaron Rodgers enough with this hysteria already

The Jets went 0-2 against the Dolphins with Fitzpatrick at QB.  Watson isn't Aaron Rodgers.  At Watson's age, Rodgers had 10,000 less passing yards, no winning seasons, 75 less passing TDs, a lower completion percentage, lower QB rating, and more interceptions per game.  Also, much lower rushing numbers.  And that's not to say that Watson is going to be a better QB than Rodgers.

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

The Jets went 0-2 against the Dolphins with Fitzpatrick at QB.  Watson isn't Aaron Rodgers.  At Watson's age, Rodgers had 10,000 less passing yards, no winning seasons, 75 less passing TDs, a lower completion percentage, lower QB rating, and more interceptions per game.  Also, much lower rushing numbers.  And that's not to say that Watson is going to be a better QB than Rodgers.

Ok you say you like to be fair right?? Rogers sat for 3 years behind Farve until he was 25..LOL

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

umm “nightmare scenario”? With all the picks they give up for Watson they wont be able to put a good team around him, plus hes never won anything. Watson to Miami = JETS dynasty babey ?

We'd have just gone 4-12 forever with Watson!  And to think we'd have missed out on the great Alex Leatherwood!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, genot said:

Nobody knows what the future holds. In years gone by, New England was predicted to be a bottom of the division team. Won the division that year. The rest is history. I would love Watson with the Dolphins. Maybe, (along with internal competition), it will light a fire under Darnolds ass. 

This is hilarious. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

You are making a very tenuous assumption that the Texans would see Tua as their QB going forward.  I have no such sense that he's viewed that way.  Removing him from the equation, our picks slightly trump MIA's.  Everything really boils down to the fact that they probably need to bring in the QB of the future this season.  It could be Tua.  It could be the #2 pick.  It could be the #3 pick.  This is why I don't think CAR really has a chance unless there is a second trade up involved.

I agree with this except the Panthers don't offer them a chance at a franchise QB either.  Sure CMC is the best RB but he's much more easily replaced than Watson would be.  That's why they would be even willing to include him in the trade package.

It depends on the compensation.

If JD doesn't bid and Watson goes to Miami for three firsts or less.  Then he's committed GM suicide and we'll start a fire JD thread.

If Miami beats our 3 firsts and Quinnen with like four firsts and Tua, then so be it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I agree with this except the Panthers don't offer them a chance at a franchise QB either.  Sure CMC is the best RB but he's much more easily replaced than Watson would be.  That's why they would be even willing to include him in the trade package.

We agree on that too.  I said I don't see CAR being a threat at all unless they spin the #8 pick up to a top-3 pick (which means a trade with either MIA or NYJ).  Otherwise, HOU has no certainty of getting either Fields OR Wilson.  Could you see them offering the fans Mac Jones as the replacement for Watson?  

7 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

The Jets are currently set up to create winning culture. They have assets & money. Gotta build a competitive team thru Drafting & Free Agency. Missing out on Watson would sting but this organization is headed in the right direction.

We were in this exact same spot with draft assets and money with our last two GM's, and we got worse each time. 

Let's try something different this time, like trade for a FQB.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dcJet said:

We were in this exact same spot with draft assets and money with our last two GM's, and we got worse each time. 

Let's try something different this time, like trade for a FQB.

Well to be fair, Maccagnan thought that the five huge guys standing in front of the QB were referees paid by the NFL.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because clearly the biggest problem with Sam Darnold is he isn't getting pushed enough.  As if the possibility of a $25M fifth year option and a massive 2nd contract aren't enough incentive.   

What a mook.

Your wrong all the time. Your the last person who should be calling anybody anything. Believe it or not, competition is a good thing. Has nothing to do with money. A lot of athletes are more interested in what they do as a player, and what they can accomplish on the field. On the field, he hasn't been pushed at all. This is according to you, because of the old men he had behind him. Flacco and Mccown.Still think Trevor is god. Mook.

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

With 3, 18 and Tua, Fins are in best shape to get Watson. And Fins are not shy with cutting their losses like the Browns have done over the recent years.  That seems to be a better package than we could offer unless you go full Mike Ditka and trade away 4 1st's and a few players.  Don't see or want to see JD do that.    I'm really leaning with trading back, not to far, where we can draft one of Fields, Wilson, Lance.  They all are young, raw and have similar skill sets.  If we can trade Darnold and the #2 to Atlanta or Cincy, we could get a couple extra first rounders and a 2nd or 3rd in the least.

I don't think they want Tua. The high pick will be for a QB and we can give them the choice of whom to pick. They will want to reset the QB clock. We have the better package to offer based solely on that. Also, they would look stupid to ship their best asset for the picks they traded away - a really bad look. Why more people don't talk about this is crazy IMO.

6 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

It’s a scenario no Jets fan could stomach but it’s certainly possible. I would think with Watson and Allen in our division along with the Patriots always lurking, JD would probably go with the slow and steady approach of building a winning culture knowing we have little chance to compete in our division for several years. I can envision us keeping Sam and trading back the #2 for more picks. Any thoughts???

Some team will eventually trade for Watson. I think it will happen after the draft, during training camp, when Watson has not shown up, is paying his fines, and the Texas Religious Nut Case Front office realizes they have got no starting QB in house. Whatever team is the trading partner is probably going to punch a serious hole in its current and future talent to do so. I can't predict whether the price will go up or down. But if Miami decides to gut their roster and their future draft capital, that's just fine. They'll be a little better than Houston was last year because they have a coach, but that's about it. I worry more about our roster and who we draft and sigh as FA. I do NOT want to trade all out valuable draft capital, no matter how proven Watson is: he is best suited for a win-now team, not us.

7 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

It’s a scenario no Jets fan could stomach but it’s certainly possible. I would think with Watson and Allen in our division along with the Patriots always lurking, JD would probably go with the slow and steady approach of building a winning culture knowing we have little chance to compete in our division for several years. I can envision us keeping Sam and trading back the #2 for more picks. Any thoughts???

Miami getting Watson changes nothing other than if we want a QB, then we hit plan B, trade, draft of FA signing

6 hours ago, genot said:

Nobody knows what the future holds. In years gone by, New England was predicted to be a bottom of the division team. Won the division that year. The rest is history. I would love Watson with the Dolphins. Maybe, (along with internal competition), it will light a fire under Darnolds ass. 

You think Watson to Miami would light a fire under Darnolds ass?  Thats been his problem?  His career,  a payday when the contract is due etc isn't enough to get him moving?

Somehow putting a top QB in the league in our division is something we should hope for?  

32 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Except it has no basis in reality?? 

Here's the reality - Deshaun Watson has done more at 25 than almost every QB to ever play in the NFL.  He has the highest completion percentage and 2nd highest QB rating ever, and he's done it behind some of the worst o-lines in football.  You should copy and paste that to the top every post that questions whether the Jets should trade for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't think they want Tua. The high pick will be for a QB and we can give them the choice of whom to pick. They will want to reset the QB clock. We have the better package to offer based solely on that. Also, they would look stupid to ship their best asset for the picks they traded away - a really bad look. Why more people don't talk about this is crazy IMO.

They still would have their pick of Wilson or Fields and trade Tua.  3 and 18 and Tua versus 2 and 23 and Darnold.  I'd take the fins offer.  And I'm sure they'd even sweeten the deal.  

34 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Some team will eventually trade for Watson. I think it will happen after the draft, during training camp, when Watson has not shown up, is paying his fines, and the Texas Religious Nut Case Front office realizes they have got no starting QB in house. Whatever team is the trading partner is probably going to punch a serious hole in its current and future talent to do so. I can't predict whether the price will go up or down. But if Miami decides to gut their roster and their future draft capital, that's just fine. They'll be a little better than Houston was last year because they have a coach, but that's about it. I worry more about our roster and who we draft and sigh as FA. I do NOT want to trade all out valuable draft capital, no matter how proven Watson is: he is best suited for a win-now team, not us.

I think a 25-year-old 3x Pro-Bowl QB is best suited for any team not named KC right now.  He's not an 'all-in-for-one-season' solution.  He's the QB for the next 10-15 years.  So what if he's 3 years older than a rookie.  

1 minute ago, chad2coles said:

Here's the reality - Deshaun Watson has done more at 25 than almost every QB to ever play in the NFL.  He has the highest completion percentage and 2nd highest QB rating ever, and he's done it behind some of the worst o-lines in football.  You should copy and paste that to the top every post that questions whether the Jets should trade for him.

Your Rogers comparison could never have happened was the point. Would you give up 4 1st picks plus Q and Becton to insure you get Watson?? Just wondering what your limit would be or if you even had one??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

Your Rogers comparison could never have happened was the point. Would you give up 4 1st picks plus Q and Becton to insure you get Watson?? Just wondering what your limit would be or if you even had one??

I've said the whole time - #2, #34, '22 1st, '23 1st.  Q and Becton are not involved in any way.  The only wiggle room would be switching #34 with #23, or adding a day 2 pick.  No team can beat the original offer unless the Texans are willing to build around Tua, and if they are, he goes to the Dolphins.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You think Watson to Miami would light a fire under Darnolds ass?  Thats been his problem?  His career,  a payday when the contract is due etc isn't enough to get him moving?

Somehow putting a top QB in the league in our division is something we should hope for?  

Watson is a very talented QB. He. Played for a team that tailor made the offense for his skillset. He played in a very weak division. I wouldn't gamble that 2 years down the road Darniold will be as effective with the Jet's as Watson would be with a Dolphin team. It's just not a sure thing as people seem to think it is. That is , with the Dolphins getting Watson, we would have no chance of competing with them or the Bills. Why we love the sport so much is that anything can happen, that before the fact we didn't think possible. Call me a starry eyed dreamer. Call me something worse. We're Jet fans. We have a very jaded view on anything positive that could occur.

9 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It's a different league, but Watson has more yards/game, more td/game, less int/game and a higher completion percentage, higher qb rating, better winning % than peyton manning through age 25.  Obviously can't compare what Watson can do with his legs.

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, so, now it's laziness or lack of motivation that is the reason Darnold sucks...

Is someone keeping a list?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

I've said the whole time - #2, #34, '22 1st, '23 1st.  Q and Becton are not involved in any way.  The only wiggle room would be switching #34 with #23, or adding a day 2 pick.  No team can beat the original offer unless the Texans are willing to build around Tua, and if they are, he goes to the Dolphins.

Fair enough so 3 1st's and a 2nd or the switch.. We will see what Houston does or wants..

• Upvote 1

Laughs at them for giving up a ton of picks and watches them hang around in the bottom of the division because the rest of the team still sucks and they have no money or picks to fix it. 
When was the last time a big named player was traded for a bunch of picks and paid a bunch of money that it worked out for the team trading for him?