Nightmare scenario: What does JD do in the draft and free agency if Deshaun Watson ends up in Miami?

23 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Does that mean we are waiting for them both to retire before we try to compete? 

If at first you don't succeed, throw your bike.

Ha, no training wheels for this girl. Basically what happened was my Daddy would hold on to the back of my bike seat while I pedaled on 189th Street in Flushing and then he'd let go. Several crashes into a chain link fence and several scraped knees and elbows on the concrete sidewalk later, I stopped wiping out. And that's how little jeto learned how to ride a bike. What was this about again? The Jets blowing pineapple chunks most of my life. Right.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, chad2coles said:

At Watson's age, Rodgers had 10,000 less passing yards, no winning seasons, 75 less passing TDs, a lower completion percentage, lower QB rating, and more interceptions per game.  Also, much lower rushing numbers.  And that's not to say that Watson is going to be a better QB than Rodgers.

No shlt, at Watsons age Rodgers hadn't had a season of starting football.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:59 AM, DonCorleone said:

There was a time when we had Marino and Kelly in our division. Talk about a nightmare. In my opinion, should that happen, you create a balanced football team. Keep SD, trade back and get as much smart talent as you can. Balance is key.

Who’s playing qb again 

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What are you even talking about?  

You brought up shot gun offenses and that Houston geared their offense around Watson as if that was a detriment.  

I like Sam.  Hes not Watson.  Will never be Watson.  

It was my fault for not being clear. The assumption is if Watson is in Miami, we don't have a chance in the division, with Allen also. I'm not buying in to that assumption. Watson is a very good QB. In a spread offense. I also don't by into absolutes about Watson can't be outperformed by a Darnold led offense. As far as Watson coming here, he isn't a fit in a WCO. So unless LaFluer changes his offense, that would be one more reason why he won't be here

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Every so-called doubter would find it “cool” to be proven wrong as well. I just want the Jets to have a top-notch starting QB; I don’t require the luxury of picking or discarding people from the mix for whatever other reasons (let alone because I have outed myself as having expressed doubts about this or that one). 

No doubt competition can be a heavy (and necessary) motivator for some, but I don’t see a primary or secondary problem of Darnold’s as stemming from a lack of motivation. There haven’t been any leaks in 3 years that he’s dogging it in the weight room, missing meetings, not really knowing the playbook, or is giving only minimal effort because he’s had 100% job security with no competition. 

Point well taken. Putting my self in his shoes, i'd be rather angry with the non stop speculation about QB''s coming in to take my job. Anger can be a great motivator.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:50 AM, Sammybighead said:

Nightmare? No, it’s not. That means we have all our draft capital still and JD can continue to build an actual talent rich team.

Yes, kicking the QB can down the road stinks. Yes, watching Miami and the Bills compete for the division stinks. But the desperate search for quick fixes has put this team behind for a decade.

I agree that the Jets can build a great team with all the draft picks they have. I agree that in the past they have tried quick fixes in FA and via trade and failed, often putting themselves in cap hell. However, this scenario with Watson is unprecedented. You just don't see a Pro Bowl caliber QB in his prime come on the trade market like this and you just don't see the Jets in one of the best positions (both financially and with the draft capital they have) to make a move for him without having to strip their team of assets or cashflow for the foreseeable future. I mean, this just doesn't happen very often, if ever, and certainly not to the Jets. 

Missing out on Watson and having him go to your rival wouldn't necessarily be a nightmare scenario. The Jets can't worry about what other teams are doing, they need to focus on getting better themselves. But I think if JD did not make a real push for Watson it would be a mistake and could potentially put us in a position where we are stuck without a FQB and at best an average team despite talent around him, leading the Jets to mediocrity for years and years. THAT sounds like a nightmare scenario to me. I think JD needs to make a serious push for Watson and if the price is too steep or the trade simply doesn't happen, draft a QB at #2 and take a swing for a FQB. Darnold is done with the Jets, IMO, and his contract situation does not help his case. 

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Point well taken. Putting my self in his shoes, i'd be rather angry with the non stop speculation about QB''s coming in to take my job. Anger can be a great motivator.

It absolutely can be for some, but there’s been no indication that a lack of motivation is or has been an issue with Darnold (let alone such a major one that it rises to the level of such significance). 

On 2/26/2021 at 7:57 AM, long time suffering Jets f said:

It’s a scenario no Jets fan could stomach but it’s certainly possible.

After 20 years of Tom Brady, the possibility of Watson on Miami really isn't that scary for a Jet fan - kind of like trying to warn Covid-era NYC that we're in for a heavy pollen count this spring. Yeah, okay. Got it.  

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It absolutely can be for some, but there’s been no indication that a lack of motivation is or has been an issue with Darnold (let alone such a major one that it rises to the level of such significance). 

All this Watson speculation. What we might do in the draft at QB. What Darnold's worth on the trade market. This has all occured after the end of this season. We haven't really heard a whole helluva lot from Sam about hiw he's viewing all this.

23 minutes ago, genot said:

It was my fault for not being clear. The assumption is if Watson is in Miami, we don't have a chance in the division, with Allen also. I'm not buying in to that assumption. Watson is a very good QB. In a spread offense. I also don't by into absolutes about Watson can't be outperformed by a Darnold led offense. As far as Watson coming here, he isn't a fit in a WCO. So unless LaFluer changes his offense, that would be one more reason why he won't be here

And again with the "in a spread offense" nonsense.  Watson is a very good QB because hes a really good QB.  Hes top of the NFL QB.  Its not because of the spread offense.  Youre trying to lessen his impact on the Texans offense by insisting its some mumbo jumbo offense at work

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And again with the "in a spread offense" nonsense.  Watson is a very good QB because hes a really good QB.  Hes top of the NFL QB.  Its not because of the spread offense.  Youre trying to lessen his impact on the Texans offense by insisting its some mumbo jumbo offense at work

No nut, im not, lessening his impact. H e was great at Clemson and the Texans in that offense . Taking snaps under center is something he's never done. Would he be the same QB that requires that. Maybe. Probably. We don't know. He's never done it.

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Fins can top it because they will add more to the package.  JD will not trade 3 #1's. Read between the lines.

I mean, if the Fins want to go bonkers, then so be it. But in terms of a reasonable offer from both teams, the Jets would edge them out. I do think if any team goes bonkers, though, it'll be the Panthers. 

PS - I think JD could offer 3 #1's if it was spread out (like 1 of the 2 from this year, 1 of the 2 from next year, and a 2023 1st round pick). 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, genot said:

No nut, im not, lessening his impact. H e was great at Clemson and the Texans in that offense . Taking snaps under center is something he's never done. Would he be the same QB that requires that. Maybe. Probably. We don't know. He's never done it.

If you are trying to make the point that Watson doesnt take snaps from under center you need to rewatch Deshaun Watson video.  Not just highlights of passing plays and downs.  

First highlight is from under center, stop there

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If you are trying to make the point that Watson doesnt take snaps from under center you need to rewatch Deshaun Watson video.  Not just highlights of passing plays and downs.  

First highlight is from under center, stop there

Your right. Learning a lot the last few days about Texans use of Watson. Say what you want about Bill O Brian. He designed everything to help play to Watson's abilities. Wish we could have said the same thing about Gase. And the Texans are a mess. What does that say about us the last two years when Gase was here. Damn.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Your right. Learning a lot the last few days about Texans use of Watson. Say what you want about Bill O Brian. He designed everything to help play to Watson's abilities. Wish we could have said the same thing about Gase. And the Texans are a mess. What does that say about us the last two years when Gase was here. Damn.

It says the HC, especially one like Gase who also is the pseudo OC is incredibly important to the de elopement of a NFL QB.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:57 AM, long time suffering Jets f said:

It’s a scenario no Jets fan could stomach but it’s certainly possible. I would think with Watson and Allen in our division along with the Patriots always lurking, JD would probably go with the slow and steady approach of building a winning culture knowing we have little chance to compete in our division for several years. I can envision us keeping Sam and trading back the #2 for more picks. Any thoughts???

Draft Zach Wilson and trade Sam for a second rounder.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It says the HC, especially one like Gase who also is the pseudo OC is incredibly important to the de elopement of a NFL QB.

HC. OC. QC. One thing i can say with confidence. If you can't communicate well, you can't teach. And Darnold, who was 21 yrs old when Gase took over needed a teacher. Anong other things that have been discussed ad-nauseum here.

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2021 at 7:59 AM, DonCorleone said:

There was a time when we had Marino and Kelly in our division. Talk about a nightmare. In my opinion, should that happen, you create a balanced football team. Keep SD, trade back and get as much smart talent as you can. Balance is key.

Thank you!

Build a Better Team and you don't care about anyone else.  That is the essence of competition, I am not looking to beat up on a group of weak teams.....

Indeed I have seen statements from fans in our division, especially Bills fans, that say that they want us to be competitive!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, genot said:

All this Watson speculation. What we might do in the draft at QB. What Darnold's worth on the trade market. This has all occured after the end of this season. We haven't really heard a whole helluva lot from Sam about hiw he's viewing all this.

I'm saying I don't think his accuracy and pocket presence issues stem from a lack of motivation.

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

it also says how the team will take on the personality of the head guy.  it just seems the jets were so lackluster under gase and maybe it was because gase was so lack luster.

6 hours ago, Larz said:

Try to build a championship team?

to be the champ you have to be the best 

Watson won 4 games last year and I believe 1 playoff game with the Texans 

a championship team would not shiver in the face of that lol

and he won 21 games the 2 seasons before. been to a pro bowl each of the last 3 years.

you dont want him cause his TEAM had one bad year?

thats like saying you dont want a 25 yr old Derek Jeter cause his team had one bad year. or a Lebron. lol

2 hours ago, doitny said:

and he won 21 games the 2 seasons before. been to a pro bowl each of the last 3 years.

you dont want him cause his TEAM had one bad year?

thats like saying you dont want a 25 yr old Derek Jeter cause his team had one bad year. or a Lebron. lol

Did you miss the point intentionally?

the point is Watson so far has not been a formidable opponent and him being on the division shouldn’t change the plans of a guy trying to build a championship roster 

the thread assumes that he is not a jet 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, nycdan said:

I think a 25-year-old 3x Pro-Bowl QB is best suited for any team not named KC right now.  He's not an 'all-in-for-one-season' solution.  He's the QB for the next 10-15 years.  So what if he's 3 years older than a rookie.  

I was not clear - I have no question about Watson as a talent. It's just that the deals  seem too unbalanced, and we don't have a lot of excess on the roster.

32 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Rodgers had a full season at age 25. 

watson has been as productive as pretty much any 25 year old qb in league history and he’s done it behind a terrible oline every year. 

Kind of my point, Rodgers had a season under his belt at 25.  Comparing his numbers to Watsons at 25 is pointless.  Watson has 3.5 seasons of numbers by the same age