Quinnen Williams wants to be a Jet for life

DonCorleone

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/26/new-york-jets-for-life-quinnen-williams-trade-rumors/

With trade rumors swirling, Quinnen Williams wants to be 'a Jet for life'

1179861266.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
February 26, 2021 7:20 am

Quinnen Williams wants to stay with the Jets for the rest of his career.

Williams was on CBS Sports Radio’s “The Zach Gelb Show” on Wednesday and was asked about his name being brought up in trade rumors this offseason. The 23-year-old defensive tackle expressed his desire to remain with Gang Green.

“I’d be disappointed… I really want to be a Jet for life,” Williams said. “I like New York, and I want to play in New York and everything like that, so I’d be disappointed if they traded me… It’s a business, man, and whatever’s best for the organization, I want to do whatever’s best for the organization.”

This is not the first time in Williams’ career that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors. Before last year’s trade deadline, Williams was garnering interest from teams around the league, but the Jets made it known that they were not interested in shopping him.

At the time, a deal involving Williams would have brought premium draft picks to New York. This offseason, however, his name has been mentioned as a potential trade chip for Texans QB Deshaun Watson. The Texans have yet to make Watson available in a deal, though, and it is unknown if the Jets would be willing to include Williams in any such trade.

Rather than worry about all that, however, Williams is hoping for the chance to play under new Jets head coach Robert Saleh.

“I just handle what I can handle, just control what I can control,” Williams said. “Just go out and work as hard as I can and play for the team that I’m on. Hopefully, it’s the Jets so I can play with Coach Saleh, but anything that comes along, I just work my hardest so that when that comes around I can be the best player I can be.”

Saleh was impressed with Williams’ 2020 season and said that he was looking forward to utilizing him in his system during his introductory press conference. He got to see Williams up close and personal this past season when the Jets faced the 49ers in Week 2. Williams recorded seven tackles, four for a loss and two sacks. Williams had 55 total tackles, seven sacks, three pass defenses and two forced fumbles for the entire season.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I’d trade him if it was the only thing standing in the way of my team getting Watson. This is probably a super unpopular opinion but as great as Q can become, as awesome as it is to hear he loves NY, as cool as it is to have a very young player with a high ceiling and improving numbers, it’s still star QB > star DT. 

Watson at his absolute best versus Q at his absolute best, you take the QB every time. It would be very disappointing to lose Q, but, structurally speaking, in terms of moving the needle on the field, you have to choose the QB. DT is easier to find and replace than a Pro Bowl QB. The replacement may not have the athletic gifts of Q but they have a chance to produce at a higher level at DT than any QB not named Watson could produce for us.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Texans have put themselves in a box, and they did that because they know they are dealing with their crazy fans on one end and Woody Johnson on the other.  

There should be a QB at 2 that is a viable replacement for Watson, with only a bit more compensation required to make it happen.  That compensation could be QW.  But as we have discussed, if we start trading too much for Watson the ability to improve the team around him goes away.  

This Jets roster needs a lot of help, and I believe the Jets would be in better shape today if they drafted players other than Davis, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan.  There were better players on the Board when they were picked. 

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

This Jets roster needs a lot of help, and I believe the Jets would be in better shape today if they drafted players other than Davis, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan.  There were better players on the Board when they were picked. 

Lol, you can say this all day about any GM on any team at any point of time in history. It’s called hindsight and it’s not really something you should use as weight in any discussion involving draft pick misses. I think Morgan wasn’t an awful pick as much as awful timing. I wouldn’t of selected a back up QB in the 4th round - seems kinda soon - but I don’t know jack about being a professional scout or GM. I think his first draft was hit & miss as most GM’s drafts wind up being. You see something you really like and you cling onto it, the player is still there when you pick, you feel like you have to take him. It’s works and then again it doesn't work sometimes. 

He hasn’t done a bad job at all. I think his major mistake last offseason was not being as aggressive as he should of been when addressing positions that have an immediate impact on the QB. Jack Conklin was there, Robby Anderson, you could of bit the bullet and gave him what he wanted for multiple reasons.(chemistry with Sam, playmaking ability, cap space to do so, etc) Robby could be making #1 WR money and I wouldn’t of minded because he’s a player that can actually matter on game day.. consistently. Instead you get the Great Value version of him in Perrimen and all of a sudden it feels like he wasn’t even on the team last year. Nothing he did outside of a handful of plays were good. JD could of done a few things different that would of made it easier on us offensively. I don’t think the draft picks from 2020 are the reason the Jets aren’t in better shape. FA could of gone a lot better. Good news is JD seem ready to spend a little more than last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The Texans have put themselves in a box, and they did that because they know they are dealing with their crazy fans on one end and Woody Johnson on the other.  

There should be a QB at 2 that is a viable replacement for Watson, with only a bit more compensation required to make it happen.  That compensation could be QW.  But as we have discussed, if we start trading too much for Watson the ability to improve the team around him goes away.  

Isn't hindsight wonderful?? I would never lose the lottery if I had that..:cheers:

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Different skill set, but QW's "vibe" is similar to Vince Wilfork.

He is already a good player.  He is going to become a great player.  Keep him...

At first, I thought that was a pretty good comp for QW.  Then I looked.  It took Vince 7 years to accumulate 9.5 sacks.  QW did it in two.

The tackles are similar over the first two years, but Quinnen has 14 TFL and 20 QB Hits compared to just 3 and 0 for Vince.

So FWIW, I would say Quinnen should project north of Wilfork.  If he continues to progress, he could/should be as good or better than anyone not named Aaron Donald, with Chris Jones being perhaps the best comp for him right now.

So would I trade him?  Not something I want to see happen.  If he's part of a Watson trade, then there better not be that much more included.  Maybe just one 1st round pick. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

At first, I thought that was a pretty good comp for QW.  Then I looked.  It took Vince 7 years to accumulate 9.5 sacks.  QW did it in two.

The tackles are similar over the first two years, but Quinnen has 14 TFL and 20 QB Hits compared to just 3 and 0 for Vince.

So FWIW, I would say Quinnen should project north of Wilfork.  If he continues to progress, he could/should be as good or better than anyone not named Aaron Donald, with Chris Jones being perhaps the best comp for him right now.

So would I trade him?  Not something I want to see happen.  If he's part of a Watson trade, then there better not be that much more included.  Maybe just one 1st round pick. 

I did say "different skill set."  What I meant by 'vibe' is that they both do what they are paid to do...  and are generally pleasant to be around.  Wilfork was pretty funny.   Just good-natured, smily guys that seem to enjoy playing football.

Exactly what a coach should want in the locker room.

I do agree that QW could be more disruptive to the passing game than Wilfork.  But Vince was a monster vs. the run.

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I did say "different skill set."  What I meant by 'vibe' is that they both do what they are paid to do...  and are generally pleasant to be around.  Wilfork was pretty funny.   Just good-natured, smily guys that seem to enjoy playing football.

Exactly what a coach should want in the locker room.

I do agree that QW could be more disruptive to the passing game than Wilfork.  But Vince was a monster vs. the run.

Good point and I agree.  There is some premium value to character, although some here would go the mattress arguing against that.  Or at least, you need some high-character guys on the team, not necessarily all.

Quinnen appears to be good at everything.  Run-stopping, pass rushing, and all before he has grown his first whisker.  This isn't a truculent Jamal with holes in his game.  This is a do-everything DT who is arguably top-5 at his position now and clearly on the rise.  I wouldn't trade him for less than two high first round picks so if he's part of the Watson package, he's got to be most of the price tag IMO.  And I'd still rather not include him because there aren't many Jets I genuinely like and want to see succeed with this team, but he's definitely one.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This. 

Going to be fun seeing all these 180s if/when, after this season, Williams says he wants a $24MM/year contract to replace his existing one and he's holding out until he gets it. Then 90% of the "Q is off limits in any trade" posters will quickly morph into, "We should've traded him for Watson when we had the chance. Can't believe we let Miami get him," lol.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

didn't adams say he wanted to be a jet for life? (until he didn't).  it would be good for the jets to keep qwill but that will all depend on what his future demands will be.   he doesn't seem to be a mouth like adams so maybe his desire is sincere.

Howard Cosell would have a tough time beating the Prez..

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1