Quinnen Williams wants to be a Jet for life

DonCorleone

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Going to be fun seeing all these 180s if/when, after this season, Williams says he wants a $24MM/year contract to replace his existing one and he's holding out until he gets it. Then 90% of the "Q is off limits in any trade" posters will quickly morph into, "We should've traded him for Watson when we had the chance. Can't believe we let Miami get him," lol.

Yup.

I get it, we invest in these guys emotionally.  We WANT them to feel like we do about the Jets.  

We forget tho, that for them, the Jets are just their version of Apple, McDonalds, Amazon or Deloitte. 

It's just their job.  It ain't personal.  It's ain't fandom.

It's probably why we so deeply love guys who stay, then stay more after they retire, the Chrebets, the Mangolds, the Namaths.

• Upvote 1

Quinnen Williams overall imo is already the best DT/NT in the game alongside of Aaron Donald. 

What's scary about QW is. That. We've never been able to (just yet) witness his true dominance alongside of an outside (DE or OLB) fierce pass rusher. 

Not only would it be a crime to trade this kid out of here but it'll become a SIN not to surround him with at least one if not two elite outside pass rushing weapons. 

The NFL trenches would then belong to him. For 10+ years. HOF 1st ballot. 

Don't trade QW away elsewhere. Add multiple pass rushers around him.

He's worth the investment (pass rushers around him). 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:27 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Quinnen Williams overall imo is already the best DT/NT in the game alongside of Aaron Donald. 

What's scary about QW is. That. We've never been able to (just yet) witness his true dominance alongside of an outside (DE or OLB) fierce pass rusher. 

Not only would it be a crime to trade this kid out of here but it'll become a SIN not to surround him with at least one if not two elite outside pass rushing weapons. 

The NFL trenches would then belong to him. For 10+ years. HOF 1st ballot. 

Don't trade QW away elsewhere. Add multiple pass rushers around him.

He's worth the investment (pass rushers around him). 

He was nothing short of awesome last year.  Was robbed of the pro bowl

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:49 AM, varjet said:

The Texans have put themselves in a box, and they did that because they know they are dealing with their crazy fans on one end and Woody Johnson on the other.  

There should be a QB at 2 that is a viable replacement for Watson, with only a bit more compensation required to make it happen.  That compensation could be QW.  But as we have discussed, if we start trading too much for Watson the ability to improve the team around him goes away.  

This Jets roster needs a lot of help, and I believe the Jets would be in better shape today if they drafted players other than Davis, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan.  There were better players on the Board when they were picked. 

I’d give these guys at least the benefit of one full off season training with professionals and a real training camp before condemning all these players.   Why is everybody so quick to want to dump these kids and declare them failures??

If you need a good example of how this works, look at Quinnen Williams, who some were declaring a bust last year.   Now guys don’t want to trade him for one of the top QBs in the league.

I think it would be really cool to set up a real time virtual draft on this board.  Every participant would select every player for every team for all 7 rds in real time.  Then we could go back and see how all the forum GMs did a year or two later.   

On 2/26/2021 at 1:56 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Going to be fun seeing all these 180s if/when, after this season, Williams says he wants a $24MM/year contract to replace his existing one and he's holding out until he gets it. Then 90% of the "Q is off limits in any trade" posters will quickly morph into, "We should've traded him for Watson when we had the chance. Can't believe we let Miami get him," lol.

i can't wait for the DT Isn't a Premium position argument we're going to have next year 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

i can't wait for the DT Isn't a Premium position argument we're going to have next year 

I don't recall seeing that one. Just that people were beside themselves with the number of high picks devoted to the position in such a short window of time. 

At some point, the position is filled and the upside of incrementally improving it further doesn't yield nearly the improvement at another position - another key position - where the current starter is an outright liability.

But that aside, I do expect people to downgrade his importance once his demand or going rate jumps from under $10MM/year 2.5x that amount. Then it'll be, "We should've traded him and [the bust QB we drafted at #2] for Watson." You can set your watch to that one lol.

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This isn’t 1946.  Disrupting the LOS means nothing now

A penetrating DT who's also stout against the run is most definitely a premium position/player. The Rams' #1 defense might not even be in the top 10 outright without Donald.

Williams has a ways to go before he's truly comparing to one of the (if not outright the) best DT ever - a guy who still somehow powers/gets through double & even triple teams of 320-pound OL monsters - but if long-term he's 75% of that then he's most definitely a premium. 

I don't think he's untouchable via trade - no one on a 2-14 team is or should be untouchable if the return yields even more - but I'd be reluctant to do so in all but the rarest scenario (e.g. Watson), but even then I'd rather come up with a different package. 

A penetrating + run-stuffing DT is a hell of a lot more of a premium than RT, I'll tell you that.

• Upvote 1