Starting to Warm up to keeping Sam, Trading to 4 and taking Pitts (plus other draft assets)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At first glance when I saw this on Kipers Mock, I was like, HELL NO!.   Then I started to think about it a bit.  Give Sam a weapon like Pitts plus Mims with a season under his belt.  Plus the addition

There have been two TE's drafted top 10 in the last decade, and both were by the Lions. No TE has ever been drafted top 5. This seems unlikely.

You simply do not have to commit to Darnold long term this year.  Most people on here feel he is totally shot but you would know for sure next year if the gase factor is real or not. You can

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

At first glance when I saw this on Kipers Mock, I was like, HELL NO!.   Then I started to think about it a bit.  Give Sam a weapon like Pitts plus Mims with a season under his belt.  Plus the additional draft capital that can be used to add OL, RB and perhaps another receiver, especially if Crowder is traded or released.   We could also address the CB/Edge positions as well.   Maybe sign another vet quarterback to back up Sam and Morgan.   If Sam proves that he is just not the guy, we will still have 2 first round picks in 2022 plus whatever other assets and can focus on finding our quarterback in that draft whiling having a much better all around team for him to play for.    We might even have some additional trade possibilities available this time next year.   

Bottom line is we could build a really formidable team and if we are lucky, Sam shows signs of being that franchise quarterback we thought he was and if not, we are still in position to go get one next year.  

I agree; think it would be great to obtain another high pick next year, maybe have 3 first round picks next year, which give us so much flexibility if Sam doesn't bounce back in the new offense.  Yet we are a year ahead in program building, and with those 3 picks, we will have opportunity to select a QB high if we need to.  Much better chance for a rookie to succeed if we go in that direction.  Are Wilson, Fields and Lance unquestionably better than what will be available in next year's draft?  Not sure that argument can be made. 

Unless the cost comes way down for a Watson or Russell Wilson, you stand pat and acquire capital and build depth.  Bring in a vet to challenge Darnold. 

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

There have been two TE's drafted top 10 in the last decade, and both were by the Lions.

No TE has ever been drafted top 5.

This seems unlikely.

If you mean the last 10 years that's true however in history Mike Ditka and Riley Odoms were the 5 guy drafted and quite a few made the 6th pick..

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Unless we’re getting Watson, I’d also prefer to stick with Darnold and build up the rest of the roster.

And I like the idea of Pitts in a trade down, but that’s if we make a move with Carolina dropping down to #8.

If we’re just dropping back two spots, then grab Smith/Chase.

Smith might be too much of a risk in that spot. Chase to me is what we hope we have in Mims. If we pick a receiver at #8, i think Waddle or Pitts would be our best choices. Just my opinion of course. Could be wrong. I don't have all the answers like a few people here, seem to think they have.

• Upvote 1

This has always been my preference but doubt 4 is the likely partner.  I would look at Carolina at 8 (assuming no watson) as the most logical partner.  1st and 2nd in 2021, 1st in 2022 and 2022 3rd would be enough for me.  Looking at the capital this creates for building a roster factoring in Seattle liking taking a step back next year creates all sorts of possibilities.  Worst case scenario is Darnold busts in 2021 and we go into 2021 with three 1st's of which all could be high picks.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

If you mean the last 10 years that's true however in history Mike Ditka and Riley Odoms were the 5 guy drafted and quite a few made the 6th pick..

Fair enough.  I stopped scrolling at 1978.  So, it's been just under 50 years since a TE was drafted top 5.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/te

Vernon Davis was the most recent #6 and that was 15 years ago.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, King P said:

I've already warmed up to that. 

I'd rather have Chase than Pitts, but I'll take either at this point 

Give me Chase over Pitts simply from a positional standpoint. I cringe at the thought of TE at 4(and I think Pitts is the best TE prospect in awhile. Just eye popping when you watch him play) knowing what other players are there & at more premium positions. 

30 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

There have been two TE's drafted top 10 in the last decade, and both were by the Lions.

This seems unlikely.

on cue

• Haha 2

Anyone who is saying they don't want to take a TE isn't thinking about Pitts correctly. Tony Gonzalez was not just a TE. He was a weapon and a difference maker. That's what Pitt is looking like he could be. I'd be happy with him or Chase at 2 or one of them or Devonta Smith in a small trade down 4-7 range.

• Upvote 4
45 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

At first glance when I saw this on Kipers Mock, I was like, HELL NO!.   Then I started to think about it a bit.  Give Sam a weapon like Pitts plus Mims with a season under his belt.  Plus the additional draft capital that can be used to add OL, RB and perhaps another receiver, especially if Crowder is traded or released.   We could also address the CB/Edge positions as well.   Maybe sign another vet quarterback to back up Sam and Morgan.   If Sam proves that he is just not the guy, we will still have 2 first round picks in 2022 plus whatever other assets and can focus on finding our quarterback in that draft whiling having a much better all around team for him to play for.    We might even have some additional trade possibilities available this time next year.   

Bottom line is we could build a really formidable team and if we are lucky, Sam shows signs of being that franchise quarterback we thought he was and if not, we are still in position to go get one next year.  

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Love the idea of trading down, especially to #4. However, if that happens and you don't take Chase or Sewell, we're idiots

How so? Sewell has not played a game this year and Pitts is very bit the playmaker that Chase is.  We can get another good receiver in this draft but there is no other player like Pitts in this draft, period.  

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Anyone who is saying they don't want to take a TE isn't thinking about Pitts correctly. Tony Gonzalez was not just a TE. He was a weapon and a difference maker. That's what Pitt is looking like he could be. I'd be happy with him or Chase at 2 or one of them or Devonta Smith in a small trade down 4-7 range.

Honestly, Pitts almost has more in common with Calvin Johnson than he does most TEs.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
19 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

If you can trade down a few spots and get Pitts that is truly a Win Win.  You can get take receiver later in the draft who can approximate what Chase or Smith can do.  There is NO ONE else in this draft like PItts, NO ONE.  

• Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This seems unlikely.

Please provide a list showing two safeties drafted back to back 1st and 2nd round in this millennium. Thanks, 

• Haha 3

Do we really think Atlanta is ready to move off Matt Ryan ?  I do not see it considering the money, new coach and ownership. I think they are looking at Sewell to keep Ryan upright more than someone to replace him at this point.  Phiily at 6 has Hurts and will likely give him the year to pass/fail.  Think Carolina is the key.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Dude it's not 1986 everybody knows what a pass catching tight end is.

• Thumb Down 1

I have been thinking Sewell the entire time, but now I'm leaning to taking Ja'Marr Chase. If they trade down to 4, he will probably be there. If they trade down to 8, he probably won't be. In that case, I would take Pitts or Sewell, whichever is available. Later on I hope they look at edge rusher, CB, OL, WR (depending on who was taken at 4 or 8)

• Upvote 2

To those who are against taking Pitts (a TE) that early (I am also one against taking a "TE" that early):

Let's say Pitts goes out and runs a 4.5 40 during his pro day and tests high on WR type metrics. Would it be wrong to view him as a big WR (thinking Darren Waller or Calvin Johnson) instead of the traditional "TE" label? If it changes your thinking of him (as a big WR instead of a TE), do you feel differently about taking him in that 5-10 pick range?

Just curious as to what you guys have to say.

• Upvote 4
5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Please provide a list showing two safeties drafted back to back 1st and 2nd round in this millennium. Thanks, 

olympics fail GIF

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Honestly, Pitts almost has more in common with Calvin Johnson than he does most TEs.

Wow....I must have been writing my question/post at the same time you posted this.