Betty’s Final February Thoughts

BettyBoop

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

Free agency

• I think Douglas’s first move in free agency will be to sign Corey Linsley to shore up two spots on the OL.  
  • Next, I think he goes after an Edge by trying to sign Trey Hendrickson or Bud Dupree. He’ll get one of them.  I think Judon’s recent shenanigans has taken him out of consideration.  
  • His WR wish list will likely be shredded by the franchise tag.  My sources (ESPN) tell me they’ll make a big play for Juju with Bourne as his backup plan.  As a result of not getting a legit #1 WR he will have to spend a first or second rounder on one.  If ARob or Godfrey were available a WR would move down his priority list to the middle rounds.
  • Thuney would be the crown jewel of free agency but he may price himself out of the Jets market.  The Bengals are the team du jour to sign him but I think that’s Thuney’s camp just trying to drive up his price.
  • Unless Douglas is willing to give up a day two pick (and more) to get his hands on Marcus Lattimore, the most Douglas can hope for is a solid #2 CB.  One os the first rounders (or #34) will likely be a corner.  Many Jets fans will lose their marbles when this happens but it will.
  • With Douglas unlikely to spend a high pick on a TE (with apologies to Kiper) Douglas will target guys like Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett.
  • In a surprise move, Douglas re-signs Teddy Bridewater to a one year deal to provide real competition at QB.

The Draft

Gotta love the binary thinkers on this board.  Those that think their guys are the only way to go and if Douglas goes in another direction then he “doesn’t have a plan”.  One guy (?) bloviates that if they don’t take Wilson or trade for Watson we’re dead.  There are many ways Douglas and Saleh can go and several of them can be successful.  Here’s what I think will happen, not necessarily what I want to happen.  

This draft assumes Douglas trades back to the #6-8 range to pick up a second this year and a first next year (probably more).

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR
  • #23 -Alijah Vera-Tucker, G (this assumes we don’t sign Thuney)
  • #34 - Kelvin Joseph, CB
  • #41 - Jaylen Phillips, EDGE
  • #66 - Kenny Gainwell, RB
  • # 86 - Quinn Meinerz, G/C
  • #107 - Nico Collins, WR
  • #147 - Ellerson Smith, Edge

In a week or two I will post another possible offseason which will likely be much different than this one.

Almost seems like Kendrick Bourne is guaranteed to be a Jet.  The 49ers connection aside, he seems like exactly the kind of second Tier FA Douglas would go after.  Wouldn't be surprised if we headed into the Draft with Mims, Bourne, Crowder and a couple of our depth guys like Berrios, etc. comprising the WR group.  That's not enough for me, but I think it might be for JD going into the Draft if he has accomplished other things in FA on the OLine, Edge, etc.

14 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Free agency

• I think Douglas’s first move in free agency will be to sign Corey Linsley to shore up two spots on the OL.  
  • Next, I think he goes after an Edge by trying to sign Trey Hendrickson or Bud Dupree.  He’ll get one of them.  I think Judon’s recent shenanigans has taken him out of consideration.  
  • His WR wish list will likely be shredded by the franchise tag.  My sources (ESPN) tell me they’ll make a big play for Juju with Bourne as his backup plan.  As a result of not getting a legit #1 WR he will have to spend a first or second rounder on one.  If ARob or Godfrey were available a WR would move down priority list to the middle rounds.
  • Thuney would be the crown jewel of free agency but he may price himself out of the Jets market.  The Bengals are the team du jour to sign him but I think that’s Thuney’s camp just trying to drive up his price.
  • Unless Douglas is willing to give up a day two pick (and more) to get his hands on Marcus Lattimore, the most Douglas can hope for is a solid #2 CB.  One os the first rounders (or #34) will likely be a corner.  Many Jets fans will lose their marbles when this happens but it will.
  • With Douglas unlikely to spend a high pick on a TE (with apologies to Kiper) Douglas will target guys like Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett.
  • In a surprise move, Douglas re-signs Teddy Bridewater to a one year deal to provide real competition at QB.

The Draft

Gotta love the binary thinkers on this board.  Those that think their guys are the only way to go and if Douglas goes in another direction then he “doesn’t have a plan”.  One guy (?) bloviates that if they don’t take Wilson or trade for Watson we’re dead.  There are many ways Douglas and Saleh can go and several of them can be successful.  Here’s what I think will happen, not necessarily what I want to happen.  

This draft assumes Douglas trades back to the #6-8 range to pick up a second this year and a first next year (probably more).

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

In a week or two I will post another possible offseason which will likely be much different than this one.

You have to like a RB named Gainwell..B)

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

nkers on this board.  Those that think their guys are the only way to go and if Douglas goes in another direction then he “doesn’t have a plan”.  One guy (?) bloviates that if they don’t take Wilson or trade for Watson we’re dead.  There are many ways Douglas and Saleh can go and several of them can be successful.  Here’s what I think will happen, not necessarily what I want to happen.  

Could not agree with this more even if you added a bit about how handsome and funny I am.

18 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

I'm starting to shift my mindset to Waddle over Smith (assuming Chase is gone).  I can't get a good feel for how the overall winds are blowing on this one, but Waddle, if he's fully healed, might be the better pick because of what he brings to punt/kick returns on top of his obvious speed and skills.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Teddy Bridgewater isn’t a free agent and he’s not worth trading for. 

That’s true but I think if Carolina trades up for their QB Teddy could be had for a fifth rounder.  They’ll need to recover picks.  And Douglas will likely get another fourth or fifth pick when moving down.  I’m not a capologist so I’m not sure how much of his salary the Jets would have to pick up but he’s cuttable after 2021 and would be an ideal challenge for Sam.  It’s highly unlikely that Douglas will not have a real backup in the event Sam sh*ts the bed again.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Free agency

• Next, I think he goes after an Edge by trying to sign Trey Hendrickson or Bud Dupree.  He’ll get one of them.  I think Judon’s recent shenanigans has taken him out of consideration.  
  • His WR wish list will likely be shredded by the franchise tag.  My sources (ESPN) tell me they’ll make a big play for Juju with Bourne as his backup plan.  As a result of not getting a legit #1 WR he will have to spend a first or second rounder on one.  If ARob or Godfrey were available a WR would move down priority list to the middle rounds.

The Draft

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

The Jets need a young, talented RT.  Several good ones will be available with the #23 pick, but JD should definitely take one no later than #86.  If they sign Linsley and move McGovern to RG, he shouldn't take a G early. If they don't sign Linsley, then taking a quality young C in round 2 or 3 is a must.

3 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

The Jets need a young, talented RT.  Several good ones will be available with the #23 pick, but JD should definitely take one no later than #86.  If they sign Linsley and move McGovern to RG, he shouldn't take a G early. If they don't sign Linsley, then taking a quality young C in round 2 or 3 is a must.

I don’t disagree but with Fant on the roster and so many holes elsewhere I’m not sure that’s a luxury we can afford.  And Vera-Tucker has successfully played both T and G at USC.

One of my goals was to replace both Lewis and Van Roten this year.  I think they’re both terrible.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Free agency

The Draft

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

Very good analysis. On Thuney, though, I think we can afford to be the top bidder. We have the space and few long term commitments. I say let’s invest big on the OL. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This scenario plays out as follows:

• QB: Darnold/Teddy.  I actually think Teddy could beat Sam out in the preseason
  • WR: Smith, Mims, Crowder or Juju, the rest
  • RB: Gainwell, Perrine, Ty Johnson
  • OL: Becton, Vera-Tucker, Linsley, McGovern, Fant
  • TE: J. Smith, Herndon, Wesco

That’s a big improvement in one year.  Only Adam Gaze could screw this up.

Note: There has been speculation that the Jets may be interested in the Niners Justin Juszczyk.  I would look for the Jets to draft a late round guy like Ben Mason from Michigan to filll that role along with Wesco.  Mason is a bull and a special teams ace.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I like this team better with Zach Wilson, more cap space in 2022, and another draft pick for Darnold-if not a 1 or 2 just keep Darnold as competition.  

The cap space will go fast, and there are so many holes that the draft picks will not really fill them.  It is critical that JD’s draft picks last year turn it around.  

• Upvote 1

Teddy B has already beaten Sam out, but optics drove him to be traded away.

I wouldn’t hate it if we signed him, but Carolina needs to cut him first.

I don’t love the mock draft, but signings like Linsley and Jonnu are good and I’ve been advocating them for a few weeks now... I just resist the urge to create “Apes big thread of self importance” and prefer offering the ideas up in context to other discussion.

Ouffff GIF by memecandy

• Upvote 3

Guy has years of 111 and 97 catches, 9 tds last year and people are turning their noses up at schuster.  (A young phsyical receiver)

But Nooooo!!!! he actually did something to another teams logo!

Meanwhile we are falling all over ourselves to trade the farm for a guy who just abandoned his team and the fans a few months after signing a huge money extension by the team that went out of their way to give him his money two years earlier than they needed.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I don’t disagree but with Fant on the roster and so many holes elsewhere I’m not sure that’s a luxury we can afford.  And Vera-Tucker has successfully played both T and G at USC.

One of my goals was to replace both Lewis and Van Roten this year.  I think they’re both terrible.

I don't think Tucker makes it to #23. If thats the case, maybe Trey Smith? And yea, our guards right now are less than ordinary.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Free agency

The Draft

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

You are probably right and have inside knowledge that I obviously do not? But I disagree with some of this. It does not really make sense to me. 

1. I think Douglas’s first move in free agency will be to sign Corey Linsley to shore up two spots on the OL: Would he play C and McGovern move over to G? What would be the strategy? If so, I don't see it. Maybe as a Plan B but seems like a very expensive Plan B. This makes sense I guess if the Jets are looking down the line and already plan to let McGovern go once his contract is up so they don't have a hole at C. I just think this notion that McGovern SHOULD move to G because he struggled early on last season at C is overblown and Jets coaches and JD don't see it that way. 

2. Next, I think he goes after an Edge by trying to sign Trey Hendrickson or Bud Dupree.  He’ll get one of them.:  I don't think JD goes after either one of these high priced guys. Or rather, he MAY, but I doubt hard enough to actually have them sign. I think the Jets end up bringing in guys like Blair and/or Dee Ford (if he is cut/healthy), who Saleh is familiar with and who will fit a specific role and won't cost much. The Jets will also look closely at their current Edge/LB FAs to see who fills specific roles for the defense and attempt to bring them back- Basham and JFM come to mind.  

3. His WR wish list will likely be shredded by the franchise tag.  My sources (ESPN) tell me they’ll make a big play for Juju with Bourne as his backup plan.  As a result of not getting a legit #1 WR he will have to spend a first or second rounder on one.  If ARob or Godfrey were available a WR would move down priority list to the middle rounds.: I actually agree with this. Especially the Jets targeting Bourne. Again, a guy LaFleur is familiar with and who still has some untapped potential and who knows the offense. Not sure Juju makes nearly as much sense. The Jets need someone across from Mims at the X spot. Juju is mostly a slot guy. Now, could they cut Crowder, use that added cap to go after Juju and pencil him in at the slot as an upgrade? Sure. Does that make a ton of sense to me? Eh, not really. As far as spending a first or send on a WR- yup. I agree. That makes a ton of sense. Now, I honestly don't think the draft will go the way you predict, and thats fine. But I think the Jets can target Marshall Jr. out of LSU at 23 to play that X WR spot. He is big, fast, strong and can make tough catches over the middle. He's a great fit and its a good spot for him to go. 

4.  Thuney would be the crown jewel of free agency but he may price himself out of the Jets market.  The Bengals are the team du jour to sign him but I think that’s Thuney’s camp just trying to drive up his price.: I must say I agree with this as well. But I must say, if ANYONE was going to go hard and overpay for a FA like Thuney it would be the Jets. To me, that makes a ton of sense. He is still young and in his prime, stays healthy, does not commit penalties, scheme versatile and not only plugs but upgrades a major hole on the line immediately. And the Jets have the money to throw at him if they wanted to. Why would he go to Ohio when he could go from NE to NJ for more money and play for a former O-lineman GM? Just saying. 

5. Unless Douglas is willing to give up a day two pick (and more) to get his hands on Marcus Lattimore, the most Douglas can hope for is a solid #2 CB.  One os the first rounders (or #34) will likely be a corner.  Many Jets fans will lose their marbles when this happens but it will.: Again, I don't have any insider knowledge and it will depend heavily on FA and who is available in the draft but I don't see the Jets taking a CB this early despite the need. I think Saleh's system can cover up deficiencies in CB play that are exposed when relying on heavy single man coverage. Instead, I think we will see the go after players Saleh is familiar with like Richard Sherman, maybe Witherspoon, maybe K'Waun Williams. And I think the Jets will attempt to bring back Poole, who is versatile in his ability to play to in this scheme as well. And with Hall and Bless, both guys that are athletic, instinctual, and very good zone tacklers who would flourish in this system, it does not make sense to use a high draft pick on yet another CB (or trading one for Lattimore). However, quality safety play is CRITICAL in the wide 9 scheme that the Jets will most likely be running. So I think re-signing Maye will be a priority and bringing in a vet replacement for Adams will be priority as well. I think we could very well see a trade for Keanu Neal. He is injury prone but boy what a tandem Maye and Neal would make in this defense. Well worth the Day 3 pick we would most likely have to give up. OR I could see the Jets signing another guy Saleh is familiar with like Jacquiski Tartt from SF. If the Jets do end up draft a CB, it would be no earlier than Rd. 3 but probably later on like Rd. 5 if the value is there. JMHO. 

*The rest I have no issue with. Signing a TE. Sure. Signing Teddy for competition? Sure.

As far as the draft, although I'm not in the camp that believes the Jets NEED to either draft a QB at #2 or trade for Watson. I DO think those two options make the most sense to fast forward the rebuild out of the plethora of options they have. We all now Teddy is not the future. And for Darnold to truly show that he can be the future of this franchise he would have to make a COLOSSAL turnaround because of his contract status. Just showing considerable improvement at this point would not be enough, IMO. It would put the Jets in a position where they would feel like they have to re-sign him while not being sold on his ability to be their FQB or risk losing him for nothing and once again having to search for a QB. 

I think if the moves I mentioned are made, you take a QB at #2 (I like Fields). You take Marshall Jr. at #23. You take OL (OT/OG) in Rd. 2- depending on if you can get Thuney (either way, Fant is not the future and neither is Edoga). Maybe you get Cosmi, T.Jenkins, W.Davis, T.Smith, Radunz, I dunno. In Rd. 3 you go after LB/Edge who are scheme specific. If you want you can flip flop Rd. 2 and 3 for the two positions of need. O-line/Edge or LB depending on value. But you want a guy like Patrick Jones as an Edge or Chazz Surratt as a LB. Both would fit Saleh's system really nicely. Jones as that versatile Leo and Surratt as an athletic OLB with an ILB skillset. I think Phillips at Edge would also be a good fit- you have him in your mock draft scenario. You could double up Edge & LB in Rd. 3. Or O-line & LB if you end up taking Edge in Rd. 2, which actually makes more sense. The rest you kind of go based on value. I mean I think if the Jets don't bring in a RB via FA they have to draft a RB so Rd. 4 would be a good spot for one. But I would also love a guy like Jamaal Williams from GB. I think he'd be a monster in this offense with Ty and Perine. In the draft I personally really like Kylin Hill out of Miss State but it seems not a ton of others are fans. If the Jets wanted a power back I love Stevenson out of Oklahoma. Maybe Gainwell will still be here in Rd. 4. You have him going way earlier, and I agree he will probably be gone- along with guys like Carter, T.Sermon and Javonte Williams. If the Jets do get a FA RB, I would look to ad more O-line depth at this point. Based on value. Josh Ball out of Marshall is a developmental OT I like who could slide to Rd. 4-5.  But like I said at this point its really about depth based on value. I also like Payton Turner out of Houston. A DE who can pretty much play all over the line depending on the system. He's 6'5, 270 but athletic enough to get after the QB from the Edge. Strong enough to move over to the interior or maintain the edge against the run. A raw but versatile talent on the front 7. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I like this team better with Zach Wilson, more cap space in 2022, and another draft pick for Darnold-if not a 1 or 2 just keep Darnold as competition.  

The cap space will go fast, and there are so many holes that the draft picks will not really fill them.  It is critical that JD’s draft picks last year turn it around.  

If we keep Darnold we trade down with the number 2 and fill more holes with higher picks than the picks from trading him. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Almost seems like Kendrick Bourne is guaranteed to be a Jet.  The 49ers connection aside, he seems like exactly the kind of second Tier FA Douglas would go after.  Wouldn't be surprised if we headed into the Draft with Mims, Bourne, Crowder and a couple of our depth guys like Berrios, etc. comprising the WR group.  That's not enough for me, but I think it might be for JD going into the Draft if he has accomplished other things in FA on the OLine, Edge, etc.

I completely agree. I actually think we will see MULTIPLE guys that Saleh is familiar with (former niners) brought in before the draft because of their familiarity with the offense and defense (especially the defense) and I think these will be fairly low cost FA's. Bourne, Juszczyk, Nick Mullens, Jaquiski Tartt, K'Waun Williams, R.Blair, Dee Ford, Witherspoon, Richard Sherman, maybe even Trent Williams (although I think that's a lot less likely and would seem like a desperation move). I think a handful of these former 49er free agents will end up NY Jets. And none of them (except Trent Williams and maybe Sherman) will cost very much.  

Now, this doesn't mean that all the low-level free agents the Jets bring in will nec. end up being on the team. A lot of guys get hurt (a lot of these guys are injury prone) and there will be really good competition. But some of these signings make a ton of sense specifically to be in season contributors in specific roles. Mullens (backup QB who knows the offense), Blair (rotating LEO), Juszczyk (versatile FB), Tartt (versatile Safety), Bourne (X WR) and Sherman (outside scheme-versatile veteran CB) specifically come to mind.  

*Trent Williams might make sense if the Jets plan to use the out in Fant's contract this year to save 9mil in cap, draft an OT replacement and plug it a vet placeholder who fits the scheme. Enter Trent Williams. He would be more expensive (13mil?) but he would def. be an upgrade. Imagine Becton and Trent Williams as your bookends and then you are able to rope in Thuney for the interior? That would be a tough run game to stop.  

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Free agency

The Draft

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

nice post Betty.  It has some realism to it.

Friendly request for the next one - please don't do a trade down.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

This scenario plays out as follows:

• QB: Darnold/Teddy.  I actually think Teddy could beat Sam out in the preseason
  • WR: Smith, Mims, Crowder or Juju, the rest
  • RB: Gainwell, Perrine, Ty Johnson
  • OL: Becton, Vera-Tucker, Linsley, McGovern, Fant
  • TE: J. Smith, Herndon, Wesco

That’s a big improvement in one year.  Only Adam Gaze could screw this up.

Note: There has been speculation that the Jets may be interested in the Niners Justin Juszczyk.  I would look for the Jets to draft a late round guy like Ben Mason from Michigan to filll that role along with Wesco.  Mason is a bull and a special teams ace.

I'm hoping Wesco can fill the Juszczyk role.  I remember this before Gaze got his mitts on him.

—All ball; Trevon Wesco is a tenacious blocker, good receiver and an impressive all-around athlete who stood out in the West Virginia offense.

—Asked to be a safety valve over the middle in a high-octane passing game and handled the job well; improved during the season and has improved as a route-runner and pass-catcher.

—Blocking is top-notch, best among the 2019 tight end class. Can stay in line and pass protect or get upfield to linebackers in the run game. Attacks the job with excellent aggression.

—Standout Senior Bowl performer who lined up at fullback, H-back, in line and move tight end while catching the ball flawlessly and showing good upfield mobility.

• Upvote 1

Free agency

The Draft

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

I think you make a lot of sense, and I can see this happening as you think it will.  I have been saying for a while now that the Jets will draft a wide receiver and offensive lineman with their 2 first round picks.

If it does go the way you think, then our 2020 draft for Cameron Clark and Zabari will have been a total loss. Seems like 2 losers who never made it to the field, with the exception of Zabari who when on the field did nothing. That is a 3rd round loser and a 4th round loser.  Perhaps Joe will have learned something from last years draft, and try to manipulate draft picks to keep in the first and second rounds. The 3rd and 4th rounds are a crap shoot.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Guy has years of 111 and 97 catches, 9 tds last year and people are turning their noses up at schuster.  (A young phsyical receiver)

Meanwhile we are falling all over ourselves to trade the farm for a guy who just abandoned his team and the fans a few months after signing a huge money extension by the team that went out of their way to give him his money two years earlier than they needed.

I agree.  The hate for juju is basically the old man yelling at the clouds.  We get it, he dances and he does tiktok dances. He’d probably be one of the best WRs the Jets have had.  

I also think they should try and trade for deshaun, so we’re 1 for 2 here.

15 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think you make a lot of sense, and I can see this happening as you think it will.  I have been saying for a while now that the Jets will draft a wide receiver and offensive lineman with their 2 first round picks.

If it does go the way you think, then our 2020 draft for Cameron Clark and Zabari will have been a total loss. Seems like 2 losers who never made it to the field, with the exception of Zabari who when on the field did nothing. That is a 3rd round loser and a 4th round loser.  Perhaps Joe will have learned something from last years draft, and try to manipulate draft picks to keep in the first and second rounds. The 3rd and 4th rounds are a crap shoot.

Clarke not being on the field may be a Gase blunder.  Ty Johnson was forced on the field and looked very competent 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Good points.  He probably just has a maturity issue 

4 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Clarke not being on the field may be a Gase blunder.  Ty Johnson was forced on the field and looked very competent 

I hope you're right.  If you are right, then Gase was even a worse head coach then I currently believe him to have been.  I mean, we drafted Clarke in the 4th round.  Never allowing the guy to smell the field in a 2-14 season is just baffling to me.  

• Haha 1

Free agency

The Draft

• #7 - Devonta Smith, WR

And this gets us , 3 wins , maybe ?

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

I hope you're right.  If you are right, then Gase was even a worse head coach then I currently believe him to have been.  I mean, we drafted Clarke in the 4th round.  Never allowing the guy to smell the field in a 2-14 season is just baffling to me.  

Im just saying it’s a possibility.  He has a track record of being stubborn 

That’s true but I think if Carolina trades up for their QB Teddy could be had for a fifth rounder.  They’ll need to recover picks.  And Douglas will likely get another fourth or fifth pick when moving down.  I’m not a capologist so I’m not sure how much of his salary the Jets would have to pick up but he’s cuttable after 2021 and would be an ideal challenge for Sam.  It’s highly unlikely that Douglas will not have a real backup in the event Sam sh*ts the bed again.

Bridgewater would cost $17M plus $750k per game.  So if he is rostered for 16 games, an extra $12M.  He would cost the Jets $29M against the cap.

Also, Jonnu Smith will likely get the franchise tag.  ARob, Godwin, Golladay and Judon may also get tagged.  Thuney too but thats a long shot.  Linsley may get the tag if its not Aaron Jones, but after recent reports he'll probably be able to test free agency.

• Upvote 1