PFF said that Penei Sewell is the best tackle "EVER"!!! A generational player at the position.

Alka

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

This is my dream draft if we're sticking with Sam:

603892050_ScreenShot2021-02-27at3_21_21PM.png.e1d2340a8f6f8f232f5983f5fa8e8503.png

-Big Ticket goes to RT and I'd let his buddy Clark play alongside him at RG.  

-McGovern goes to LG to stabilize the two rookies and to help with protection calls.

-Marshall can play on the outside opposite Mims with Crowder in the slot.

-Carter is a feature back that can do it all.  Very nice rotation with Johnson and Perine.

-Throw some cash at a pass rusher and let's win the east.  

Not a draft guy but bring back Teddy Bridgewater and that could be something nice. 

29 minutes ago, Alka said:

If he really is that good, then the Jets have to draft him.  He would transform the offensive line to perhaps the most dominant line in the NFL.

If we get Thuney or Lindsley, having Sewell and Becton as bookends, then Darnold can just sit back in the pocket.  Our running backs don't need to be great, just good.  Get a wide receiver at #23, and a running back at #34, and we're set.

The Jets will have the identity they have been looking for finally for the next decade.  

It's that time of the year to dream, and that is my dream!

Ummmm huh????? Sounds like a great plan ?

Orlando Brown Jr. wants to play left tackle, which may mean leaving Baltimore

Michael David Smith
3 weeks ago

Ravens offensive lineman Orlando Brown Jr. raised eyebrows last month when he tweeted, “I’m a LEFT tackle,” and as he continues to insist that’s the position he wants to play, it may mean asking the Ravens to trade him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/07/orlando-brown-jr-wants-to-play-left-tackle-which-may-mean-leaving-baltimore/amp/

———————-

Per Pro Football Focus, from a clean pocket, Darnold ranked 30th in the NFL in accurate-pass percentage (56 percent) this season. Drew Lock (60 percent) was better. Gardner Minshew (59 percent) and Nick Mullens (59 percent) were better.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There would be nothing more depressing than having the #2 pick, seeing guys like Watson, Wilson, stafford and Wentz available and settling on Teddy bridgewater.

It could be you instead of Sam and I would have more interest in watching Jets Football than I did this year. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Alka said:

If he really is that good, then the Jets have to draft him.  He would transform the offensive line to perhaps the most dominant line in the NFL.

If we get Thuney or Lindsley, having Sewell and Becton as bookends, then Darnold can just sit back in the pocket.  Our running backs don't need to be great, just good.  Get a wide receiver at #23, and a running back at #34, and we're set.

The Jets will have the identity they have been looking for finally for the next decade.  

I think Sam is done with the Jets. I know a lot of people will disagree but for me, its not just about Gase or the lack of playmakers or bad o-line. Sam is just not the guy and its clear. Even when the O-line was playing well he kept making bone-headed plays that cost games. Plays that you cannot possibly put on the coach, even if a better coach with a better system might have done a better job covering up those mistakes. If Darnold had another 2 years on his rookie deal I'd consider giving him another shot. But considering his contract, I'd say I've seen enough to NOT pass up on this opportunity to draft a potential FQB at #2.

Now, if JD is simply not sold on Fields or Wilson as NFL caliber FQBs, sure, attempt to trade down or take Sewell. I personally am not that worried about Sewell wanting to move to LT 3-4 years from now. Nobody really knows what type of player he will turn out to be despite the hype. And maybe Becton turns into an injury prone LT and we will NEED Sewel at LT. Maybe Sewell is fine to play RT as long as the Jets pay him top dollar. You can't really think about these things when evaluating a prospect. I think if you were to ask him right now he would say he can play any position on the O-line if was asked to, period.  

I think if the Jets were definitely not going to take a QB at #2 simply b/c they didn't like the prospects, the key would be to not move down too far. A trade with the Falcons to #4 could still yield them Sewell, while adding a 2nd and 1st first rounder in 2022. The assumption would be that Atlanta would want to take homegrown talent Justin Fields as an eventual replacement for Ryan. Miami would take Chase. At #4 Jets would take Sewell. If the Jets fall past #5 in a trade, odds are Sewell will go to the Bengals. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Per Pro Football Focus, from a clean pocket, Darnold ranked 30th in the NFL in accurate-pass percentage (56 percent) this season. Drew Lock (60 percent) was better. Gardner Minshew (59 percent) and Nick Mullens (59 percent) were better. Darnold's adjusted completion percentage from a clean pocket -- considered a more predictive situation for passers than under-pressure scenarios -- was 33rd (74.0), according to PFF. 

Sam might just play worse with a better OL.

Regardless of feelings about Darnold, this stat seems a bit misleading. Clean pocket is half the equation. The other half is WRs getting separation from DBs 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Regardless of feelings about Darnold, this stat seems a bit misleading. Clean pocket is half the equation. The other half is WRs getting separation from DBs 

Bad O-line. Yea, so. Receivers can't get open. Yea, so. Bad coach, bad play calling, yea, so. No QB coach. Yea so. Can't run the football. Yea, so. 

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ok but theres more than one way to skin a cat. The Jets have a premier talent at LT. They have a solid starting caliber RT signed for the next couple of years. You can say the same about C. What they really need is help at the G positions. Ok. So let's assume Fant is not a long term solution and/or the Jets plan to cut him to open up cap room. Well, even though Sewell is clearly the top OT, there are PLENTY of other OTs that could step in and compete for that RT spot. Guys you would not have to draft in in the first round but who could very well turn into very good O-linemen. Mayfield, Jenkins, Leatherwood, Radunz, Spencer Brown, Carman. I mean all of these guys are potentially day one starters at RT. Carman in particular intrigues me, he has experience on the left side, has great size (weight) and fantastic power. He could probably compete for the Guard position if the Jets decide to keep Fant. Radunz is another guy I could see holding down the Guard position before he transitions to RT. He also has experience at LT. 

YOU DO NOT HAVE THESE KINDS OF OPTIONS AT QB. I think that's why there is so much emphasis (every year really) on taking your choice of QB early if you have the luxury of doing so. You can't say to yourself, 'well, I should be able to get a plug and play starter at QB towards the bottom of Rd. 1 or in Rd. 2'.  It's why the top 3 QBs often times go in the top 5 selections of the draft. That and the fact that as much as O-line is important, QB is EVEN MORE IMPORTANT. It's why teams trade multiple first round picks for QBs on a regular basis. You don't see that with O-linemen.  

In the draft the order of positional importance seems to always be: QB, Edge, LT, CB, WR. And its based on rarity of elite talent. 

I don't think data backs up your claim that most successful QBs come from the top 10...regardless I'm not against taking a QB at 2 I'm against dumb comments like YoUR DreAm Is HavING A gOOd OFfensive LIne der her her. lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

My question with PFF is how are they grading offensive linemen?  I appreciate they are at least trying, but its not as easy watching a guy on OLine vs a guy on  DLine.  The guys grading have no idea what the blocking assignments are for the line when evaluating the tape I'm assuming.  

The less they look like Wesley Johnson the higher their grade.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Quick question - can he play guard or center because we'll still need both. You don't pick two left tackles in a row in the first round - poor use of resources. Sign the center and draft a guard on the second day. I'm not convinced the young guys we have can't step in and Fant is the least of our problems. The young Olineman we have never had a normal training camp and pre-season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You would need to know in advance that one of them would be fine moving to be RT. Otherwise, you can't take Sewell.

Bingo - because the difference in pay is huge. If we draft Sewell it's just a matter of time before we have a problem with one of them due to compensation and they leave the team. A huge no for me. 

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Our receivers in the second half of the year were getting open - they just weren't being identified as the open guy enough. I like Sam, but you shouldn't have to fix a QB and risk losing out on a couple of excellent QBs when you won't have to give up extra compensation to get one. Not saying Wilson and Fields are better than Sam, they just aren't as broken and will play better immediately - much like Sam did his rookie year. The difference is, we have better coaches now and the two QBs are more accurate and less prone to turnovers.

• Upvote 2

On 2/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, CTJetsFan said:

I've always maintained we cant fairly grade <insert any young jets QB here> without all pros at every position and a future HoF OC