PFF said that Penei Sewell is the best tackle "EVER"!!! A generational player at the position.

Alka

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Per Pro Football Focus, from a clean pocket, Darnold ranked 30th in the NFL in accurate-pass percentage (56 percent) this season. Drew Lock (60 percent) was better. Gardner Minshew (59 percent) and Nick Mullens (59 percent) were better. Darnold's adjusted completion percentage from a clean pocket -- considered a more predictive situation for passers than under-pressure scenarios -- was 33rd (74.0), according to PFF. 

Sam might just play worse with a better OL.

What was the % that he operated from a clean pocket and what was the % of time that he had NFL caliber WRs to throw and what % of time were they open?  

This is meaningless without the other variables, the ones that are more influential to these numbers

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

If he really is that good, then the Jets have to draft him.  He would transform the offensive line to perhaps the most dominant line in the NFL.

If we get Thuney or Lindsley, having Sewell and Becton as bookends, then Darnold can just sit back in the pocket.  Our running backs don't need to be great, just good.  Get a wide receiver at #23, and a running back at #34, and we're set.

The Jets will have the identity they have been looking for finally for the next decade.  

It's that time of the year to dream, and that is my dream!

Its too bad we already used our #11 pick last year on a LT.  Guess we'll have to move on from that idea.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

We all agree having a great Oline is important. But having a great overall team is better.

Is the team better if they draft a playmaker at #2 (Chase, Davonta Smith, Pitts) and draft a RT at 23 than taking Sewell at #2 and the 6th best receiver at #23? 

They are probably better if they take the playmaker at #2. And this is coming from someone who isnt convinced Bechton is the long term answer at LT. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

What was the % that he operated from a clean pocket and what was the % of time that he had NFL caliber WRs to throw and what % of time were they open?  

This is meaningless without the other variables, the ones that are more influential to these numbers

It’s never Sam’s fault.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

It’s never Sam’s fault.

These are facts.  A clean pocket is meaningless without receivers who can get separation and who can catch. 

I never said Sam wasnt also at fault.   Dont know how much of it is on him.  

9 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Regardless of feelings about Darnold, this stat seems a bit misleading. Clean pocket is half the equation. The other half is WRs getting separation from DBs 

Not defending Darnold at all here, but the old saying is ‘there are lies, damned lies, and statistics’ and it’s never truer than we using PFF or any other stats provider to analyse NFL or College football....pick a stat, any stat, and you can mould it to your argument any way you want....it’s gotten way out of hand.

smart use of data when allied to the eyeball test is legitimate, but simple quoting of stats is fools gold

8 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

They are not drafting Sewell, but nobody would be complaining if he turned out to be who they said he would be. A great offensive line doesn't win championships, but a bad offensive line loses championships. Look at Mahomes behind a patchwork OL in the Super Bowl. 

Yep. And that’s part of the point @PepPep made above, and that many of us have been making for weeks: Sewell is not a requirement for a more-than-adequate OL. 

KC’s OL was 4/5 “patchwork” all year long, not just in the SB, and they still won 14 games (and 2 playoff games). That line was manned by 4 weak starters & backups all year long; the lone exception was Fisher. Then he went down right before the SB to then make the line weak at all 5 positions, and that coincided with facing a Tampa team just that strong on the edges and up the middle. 

In terms of starter talent, in 2020 KC’s OL was as bad or worse than the Jets’ OL all season long. Their other talent on O made the line seem far better than it was because Mahomes + Hill + Kelce are so much better.

The Jets can and should easily assemble a good OL without burning the #2 pick on another LT after they already have one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Barton said:

We all agree having a great Oline is important. But having a great overall team is better.

Is the team better if they draft a playmaker at #2 (Chase, Davonta Smith, Pitts) and draft a RT at 23 than taking Sewell at #2 and the 6th best receiver at #23? 

They are probably better if they take the playmaker at #2. And this is coming from someone who isnt convinced Bechton is the long term answer at LT. 

The second pick debate should be Sewell vs Smith

Wilson is going to be an injury egg in the NFL and Fields is not better than Mac Jones or Trey Lance

58 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Wilson is going to be an injury egg in the NFL and Fields is not better than Mac Jones or Trey Lance

My issue with taking Smith personally isn’t an issue with the player so much as it’s too early to tell before FA. The “WR1” type FAs haven’t been tagged yet, and there’s plenty of time for that to happen between now & March 9th.

We don’t know which will be available, let alone which the Jets will sign, but - unless they’re specifically targeting Smith at #2 without trading down - it’s unlikely they’ll head into the draft with just Mims  + Crowder. Douglas doesn’t seem the type to leave such a gaping hole in the lineup that he’ll more or less be forced to either reach at the position or gamble that he’ll miss out on all his WR targets (at his targeted slots) in the first round or two. 

The franchise tag amount is low this year at $15.8MM - lower than most of the big-4 would expectedly get as UFAs - so there’s a decent chance the only ones who are available are ones who, frankly, aren’t $16MM/year receivers. That’d cross off Golloday, Godwin, and Robinson. Juju is the only one that really no one sees getting a franchise tag. Even if Chicago would have trouble fitting Robinson to finish building their roster - including their need at QB - it’d still be in their interest to clear some space temporarily so they can tag him, because someone will surely offer up more than a late 3rd round (comp) pick next year. 

I was hoping for a serious FA WR because the bust/disappointment percentage is so high at the position, no matter how great these guys looked in college. Add to it this year there isn’t a combine, despite its shortcomings, to level them all physically on the same field. e.g. if Smith ran just a 4.5 at his featherweight size then he wouldn’t even be a consideration at #2 no matter how great of a college player he was.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Nope-The decision should be QB or trade down. 

Penei Sewell and DeVonta Smith would help this team, but so would Kyle Pitts, Jaylen Waddle, Jamarr Chase, Rashawn Slater, and countless others. 

If the Jets pass on a QB they ABSOLUTELY need come away with a 2022 First Round pick. 

17 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Nope-The decision should be QB or trade down. 

Penei Sewell and DeVonta Smith would help this team, but so would Kyle Pitts, Jaylen Waddle, Jamarr Chase, Rashawn Slater, and countless others. 

If the Jets pass on a QB they ABSOLUTELY need come away with a 2022 First Round pick. 

I was never a big fan of trading down. My belief is if you see a player you really covet you take him. If JD decides to trade away the 2nd pick, I’m hoping they drop no further than 5.

17 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

This is my dream draft if we're sticking with Sam:

603892050_ScreenShot2021-02-27at3_21_21PM.png.e1d2340a8f6f8f232f5983f5fa8e8503.png

-Big Ticket goes to RT and I'd let his buddy Clark play alongside him at RG.  

-McGovern goes to LG to stabilize the two rookies and to help with protection calls.

-Marshall can play on the outside opposite Mims with Crowder in the slot.

-Carter is a feature back that can do it all.  Very nice rotation with Johnson and Perine.

-Throw some cash at a pass rusher and let's win the east.  

Win the East with Sam? lol funny at best 

Many have scoffed at my thought of dreaming to have a "very good" offensive line.  No, my dream is to have the most dominant offensive line in the NFL.  

How many HOF players have the Jets had over the course of the franchise that if we didn't draft them, played a significant time where they were in their prime with the Jets organization?

The answer is three (3) players:  Joe Namath, Curtis Martin and Don Maynard.

Over the course of almost 60 years in the NFL, the Jets have only 3 players who have entered the Hall of Fame.

That to me is horrible.  Please don't try to tell me about players who were past their prime and came to the Jets in their last 2 or 3 years before they retired.  

Penei Sewell is the closest thing to a HOF player that we can draft, who along with Becton, can transform this offense into a unit that opposing players will not want to play against.

Perhaps having respect from around the NFL will help bring the rest of the team along into respectability.  I don't know, but that is my dream.  It is the start to transforming the Jets into a playoff contender, and hopefully to the Super Bowl.

Can anyone tell me the last time the Jets had a dominant offensive line?  I would argue never. Very good; absolutely.  Can anyone tell me the last time the Jets had a dominant defensive line?

Answer:  The New York Sack Exchange.  Marty Lyons, Abdul Salam, Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau.

We didn't get to the Super Bowl, but we should have.  We did get to the AFC Championship game.

I was around for that unit, and it was special.  I want special again!

I don’t think, by definition, he can be called the best prospect ever at a position if more than just a handful of real draft experts think Slater is better. 

Not just one guy trying to get clicks but a bunch of guys have Slater as the better player? Is he? No one knows for sure but Sewell isn’t the slam dunk as say Trevor is at QB. 

Plus neither of these guys have played in over a year. Have other OTs passed them by? Has the year off diminished them by 10% of their true talent? Is Sewel STILL the best OT prospect “ever”?

3 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I was never a big fan of trading down. My belief is if you see a player you really covet you take him. If JD decides to trade away the 2nd pick, I’m hoping they drop no further than 5.

The NFL draft is an in exact science. Barkley turned out to be RB3 in 2017 (Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara) and the Giants drafted him 2nd overall. 

Scouts get it wrong more times than not. Chances are someone other than Penei Sewell will be the best offensive tackle in this draft. That’s just how it typically goes. 

If the Jets don’t go the QB route they need to stockpile 2022 picks. 

The Jets OL from 2009-2010 was dominant.  It is one reason, in addition to the defense, that the team made the AFCCG two years in a row. 

Gettleman took the player he thought would go to the HOF in Barkley.  I guess the jury is still out on that, but paying him a second contract will be tough.  

The Eagles bet on 2 tackles and made the SuperBowl.   I guess the question is whether we need another LT versus 2-3 of a CB, WR, C, G, RT, RB, LB and Edge.  

30 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets OL from 2009-2010 was dominant.  It is one reason, in addition to the defense, that the team made the AFCCG two years in a row. 

Gettleman took the player he thought would go to the HOF in Barkley.  I guess the jury is still out on that, but paying him a second contract will be tough.  

The Eagles bet on 2 tackles and made the SuperBowl.   I guess the question is whether we need another LT versus 2-3 of a CB, WR, C, G, RT, RB, LB and Edge.  

Brah, we have another 1st rd pick. Why cant we just grab another offensive tackle at 23?

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Per Pro Football Focus, from a clean pocket, Darnold ranked 30th in the NFL in accurate-pass percentage (56 percent) this season. Drew Lock (60 percent) was better. Gardner Minshew (59 percent) and Nick Mullens (59 percent) were better. Darnold's adjusted completion percentage from a clean pocket -- considered a more predictive situation for passers than under-pressure scenarios -- was 33rd (74.0), according to PFF. 

Sam might just play worse with a better OL.

The poor kid hasn’t had any decent coaching since he came into the league. His first head coach went back to being a defensive coordinator. His second head coach will be lucky if he coaches high school. Im not saying he’s Johnny Unitas but how about being taught the way to play the game the right way at the professional level at least. Give the kid a ******* chance 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

The poor kid hasn’t had any decent coaching since he came into the league. His first head coach went back to being a defensive coordinator. His second head coach will be lucky if he coaches high school. Im not saying he’s Johnny Unitas but how about being taught the way to play the game the right way at the professional level at least. Give the kid a ******* chance 

It amazes me. All that's come out about Gase and his inept and unexplainable failure to make life easier for his young QB, to help his receivers creat seperation, the reoccurring gameplans week in and week out. This isn't even talking about the talent level. How can anyone fairly evaluate Sam under those circumstances

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Did Sam pass your eyeball test last year? Because he certainly failed mine.

Did Mahomes pass your eyeball test in the Suoer bowl. Darnold wasn't under constant attack the whole year like that He was however one of the least protected QB''s in the NFL this year. With no kelce or Hill to throw too.

58 minutes ago, genot said:

Did Mahomes pass your eyeball test in the Suoer bowl. Darnold wasn't under constant attack the whole year like that He was however one of the least protected QB''s in the NFL this year. With no kelce or Hill to throw too.

I literally posted in this same thread that Sam had some of the worst ‘clean pocket’ numbers in the league. He’s bad under pressure. He’s bad with no pressure. He’s bad when his WRs are hurt. He’s bad when his WRs are healthy. Maybe he’s just not that good. 

If Saleh and LeFleur think they can fix him and decide to bring him back this year, I’ll be the first one in line rooting for him.. but I’m also not going to continue to make excuses for the guy. Yeah his situation had sucked but he’s done nothing to show he can be an average, let alone a top QB in this league.

• Sympathy 1