PFF said that Penei Sewell is the best tackle "EVER"!!! A generational player at the position.

Alka

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We have a slot (Crowder) and Mims I will anoint I think he’s the real deal and takes a significant step next season regardless of who is the qb.  Berrios is fine as depth 

NFL is all about 4-WR sets right now to spread out the field even on obvious rushing downs

It’s very unlikely the Jets are running a lot of 4 WR sets next year. It’ll be 2 or 3 on the field if SF and GB are any indication - which I imagine they are.

They need one really good one but not a lot besides that.

LOL at all the posters trying to justify Sam having the 33rd ranked accurate passes from a clean pocket! Do you realize that our WR's have zero impact on how accurate the QB throws the ball? It isn't a completion percentage where things like separation come into play....it's the percentage that Sam is able to take the football and throw it on target from a clean pocket. Can he get the ball from point A to point B. The answer is a resounding NO! You may recall there are 32 starting QB's in the NFL....Sam is ranked behind ALL of them, PLUS 1 backup! 

• Sympathy 1

Tackle rankings From dane brugler, athletic 

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon (6-foot-6, 300 pounds)

Malaeimi, American Samoa (Desert Hills); Age: 20.56

A two-year starter at Oregon, Sewell lined up at left tackle in former offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo’s scheme and allowed only one sack in 1,376 career snaps for the Ducks. He made an immediate impact in Eugene (first true freshman lineman since 1997 to start a season opener at Oregon) and leaves as one of the most decorated players in school history. He, LaMichael James and Marcus Mariota are the only Ducks to earn unanimous All-America status.

For a blocker with his size and strength, Sewell is astonishingly efficient with his movement patterns due to his natural flexibility and footwork. Not only does he offer impressive physical traits, but his split-second reads and reflexes are also advanced for a player his age. (Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal: “I think of him as overall the best football player I’ve been around … the combination of football IQ, want-to, work ethic and raw ability.”) Overall, Sewell must fine-tune his body angles, timing and finishing skills, but he has prestigious big-man balance, mobility and football instincts. He projects as an immediate NFL starter at left tackle with Pro Bowl potential.

• Upvote 2

Oregon OT Penei Sewell

Being the draft sicko I am, I couldn’t resist a Sewell question to Ducks head coach Mario Cristobal when he joined us live for Yahoo Sports’ draft show last Thursday.

Cristobal said Sewell was “345 pounds, and really, he could play comfortably at 375 if he wanted to.”

Whoa. Three. Seventy. Five.

Take that, Mekhi Becton! Cristobal, a man who knows OL talent as well as anyone, added that Sewell has “the most explosive power that I have ever seen as an offensive line coach or a head coach,” saying he’s “nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/early-top-25-prospects-for-the-2021-nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-tops-the-list-but-other-q-bs-lurk-150718632.html

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2021 at 4:22 PM, JetFreak89 said:

LOL at all the posters trying to justify Sam having the 33rd ranked accurate passes from a clean pocket! Do you realize that our WR's have zero impact on how accurate the QB throws the ball? It isn't a completion percentage where things like separation come into play....it's the percentage that Sam is able to take the football and throw it on target from a clean pocket. Can he get the ball from point A to point B. The answer is a resounding NO! You may recall there are 32 starting QB's in the NFL....Sam is ranked behind ALL of them, PLUS 1 backup! 

That Chris Hogan if only he had a more accurate qb he wouldn’t be playing lacrosse now

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

Oregon OT Penei Sewell

Being the draft sicko I am, I couldn’t resist a Sewell question to Ducks head coach Mario Cristobal when he joined us live for Yahoo Sports’ draft show last Thursday.

Cristobal said Sewell was “345 pounds, and really, he could play comfortably at 375 if he wanted to.”

Take that, Mekhi Becton! Cristobal, a man who knows OL talent as well as anyone, added that Sewell has “the most explosive power that I have ever seen as an offensive line coach or a head coach,” saying he’s “nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/early-top-25-prospects-for-the-2021-nfl-draft-trevor-lawrence-tops-the-list-but-other-q-bs-lurk-150718632.html

If we have both Becton and Sewell is that technically the biggest OL ever?

Maybe 90’s Cowboys or Jaguars were bigger or the same size

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

Oregon OT Penei Sewell

My god!  This to me is a no brainer pick to immediately improve the whole offense.  We live in a Lotto "I need to win Now" mentatality and many will point to the QB.  Adding Sewell with Becton and another nasty guard via free agency or the guard from Tenesssee Vols will immediately improve our QB, our running game and give receivers time to get open..

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

My god!  This to me is a no brainer pick to immediately improve the whole offense.  We live in a Lotto "I need to win Now" mentatality and many will point to the QB.  Adding Sewell with Becton and another nasty guard via free agency or the guard from Tenesssee Vols will immediately improve our QB, our running game and give receivers time to get open..

Doubling down on OL only got us to back to back AFCGs

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, CTM said:

I've always maintained we cant fairly grade <insert any young jets QB here> with all pros at every position and a future HoF OC

Darnold's issue in college was turnovers. We certainly didn't do him any favors surrounding him with worse offensive talent and coaching than USC at the NFL level. That said it doesn't matter anymore at this point. Time to move on to the next dumpster fire. His time here should be over. Sometimes the breakup is good for everyone involved 

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You want to draft him at the end of round 1 where the team drafted Mangold after already securing a LT?

OK, good idea.

Who was the rt during the Rex years? Free agent and former all pro Damien woody 

So you're cool with the jets trading for Trent brown? 

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:07 PM, Alka said:

If he really is that good, then the Jets have to draft him.  He would transform the offensive line to perhaps the most dominant line in the NFL.

If we get Thuney or Lindsley, having Sewell and Becton as bookends, then Darnold can just sit back in the pocket.  Our running backs don't need to be great, just good.  Get a wide receiver at #23, and a running back at #34, and we're set.

The Jets will have the identity they have been looking for finally for the next decade.  

It's that time of the year to dream, and that is my dream!

I would love a good line but I think we could probably get a good starter with a lesser pick... It of we did spend the 2 on it. I would be fine. It would make the team better with very low risk. I e. A safe pick. I love a safe pick at 2. But if you want lineman just trade back because you can get one later on and the smart move is to add draft capitol and take advat of team who want that qb at 2.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You want to draft him at the end of round 1 where the team drafted Mangold after already securing a LT?

OK, good idea.

2 has to be either Sewell or Pitts.  No disrespect but how can you look at tape of those 2 and not fall in love

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Who was the rt during the Rex years? Free agent and former all pro Damien woody 

So you're cool with the jets trading for Trent brown? 

Yeah but no one is or was dumb enough to trade the #2 pick in the country for 31 year-old veteran Damien Woody’s almost-3 final career seasons. Never mind it’s factually inaccurate that he was a former all pro. He was a one-time pro-bowler (as a center with NE years earlier; not as a RT with the Jets), and was never once 2nd-team all-pro, let alone 1st team.

I’m totally in favor of upgrading RT via a better veteran in that mold, though, and they should have done that last season with Conklin instead of hedging with Fant because of his swing tackle flexibility. Except Fant’s not a good/reliable LT starter either, so it was a stupid hedge that missed the forest for the trees — something you and I agree upon.

So I wouldn’t trade the #2 pick in the country for Trent Brown, but hell yes I’d trade a day 2 pick for Trent Brown if the best presented alternative was to draft a RT with the #2 pick in the country. Brown wouldn’t even be such a major additional cost, since that’d free up the $9MM Douglas maddeningly awarded Fant. Of course it’d be smarter still to just sign one of these premiere linemen as FAs in the first place rather than trade for him.

The overpayment for a non-premium position ends up not being of long-term significance (it’s only 2 years guaranteed; so BFD that hyper-upgrade robs the team of $3-5MM/year it was going to leave in reserve those 2 years anyway, or would’ve used on the likes of paying one Brad McDougald, Terrelle Pryor, Ryan Griffin, Jermaine Kearse, etc.). Meanwhile what you’re getting for that small extra bite in the cap is it frees up the high draft pick(s) that should be used towards removing any thought of starting the likes of Kearse or Pryor or Perriman in the first place: to draft the above-average players at premium positions, who aren’t annually available as FAs (and when they occasionally are, they cost a hell of a lot more to sign than the $ difference between Fant and Conklin).

RT is quite obviously not a 1st tier position. Seeing how only 4 are paid over $10MM, it isn’t even 2nd tier. To suggest otherwise is to opine that every position is top-tier except TE, SS, FB, K and P. The only narrow circumstance a GM should even contemplate making a RT-upgrade such a high pick is: if the rest of the team is generally all set in place, where this 2nd-3rd tier position is one of the last 2-3 missing pieces, plus the draft is so weak up top no one is offering up close to chart value to trade up this far (e.g. 2013 draft, where Miami only had to surrender the 10th pick in round 2 to move up from #12 to #3). That isn’t the 2021 Jets by a long shot, isn’t the 2021 draft situation by a long shot, and using 1st tier picks on non-1st-tier positions is like drafting Jamal Adams over 2 FQBs all over again. A “sure thing” pick like Adams (or Sewell to upgrade RT) is big duh better than drafting a bust, but it’s not materially changing the team in a way a FA couldn’t. 

Thanks to years of criminal under-investment in the OL, Jets fans have reflexively become hyper-obsessed with every added person on the line needing to be a name/star - e.g. we need to sign Linsley AND Thuney, no matter how utterly unrealistic that is, or using the #2 pick in the draft to upgrade from Fant - rather than the true need which is for the non-Becton linemen to be individually adequate, and good as a group: add one upper-level FA, fill the other iOL slot via the draft or with a lesser veteran (at least for this year), and further assess what we’ve got after the season. Meanwhile use the other high-end FA $ to instead dramatically change the makeup of another position group like WR rather than incrementally change 1/5 of the OL.

Would I overpay for a free agent RT ~$15MM for a 2 years while the team has plenty of cap space (and no one really worth extending) anyway? It’s not ideal; but sure, absolutely. After those 2 guaranteed seasons (or even after just 1, if he has trade value), make an assessment whether he’s still worth keeping at that money: is the team’s better off using his $ elsewhere by going younger/cheaper at RT vs. going younger/cheaper elsewhere. But to do that, thanks to Edoga being the only other tackle prospect the team’s drafted since 2016, they’d have to start a Faneca-to-Slauson type pipeline draft investment in 2021-22 with the hopes it bears fruit in 2022-23.

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2021 at 4:30 PM, bitonti said:

Oregon OT Penei Sewell

What he said is frightening!  Imagine having Sewell at left tackle, and moving Becton to left guard!

It's 3rd down on the 1 foot line, and we need a touchdown to take the lead with 2 minutes left to go in the game. I wonder what the Jets should do?  Hmmmm!  How about 2 mack trucks who weight over 350 pounds each, plowing the way for the new running back we got at #23 in the 1st round of the draft?  

I could think of worse things.

On 3/4/2021 at 3:55 AM, Philc1 said:

If we have both Becton and Sewell is that technically the biggest OL ever?

Maybe 90’s Cowboys or Jaguars were bigger or the same size

Bring in a FA center, move our center to guard, and just punch people  in the face until they cry.

Then, you have the play action passing game that QBs dream of.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

What he said is frightening!  Imagine having Sewell at left tackle, and moving Becton to left guard!

It's 3rd down on the 1 foot line, and we need a touchdown to take the lead with 2 minutes left to go in the game. I wonder what the Jets should do?  Hmmmm!  How about 2 mack trucks who weight over 350 pounds each, plowing the way for the new running back we got at #23 in the 1st round of the draft?  

I could think of worse things.

The Jets would put Becton at RT, but the Seahawks went to a Super Bowl doing that.

Hutchinson at guard, Walter Jones at left tackle.   When in doubt, run it to the weak side for 2nd and 3.

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

They could be the greatest players ever and their positional value still won't be anywhere near a QB's value

all this assumes the QB pick is good - which is like a 50/50 coinflip

Sewell is like 90/10 to hit and be a pro Bowl player forever

mac was a moron but the one thing he got correct is that the tippy top of the draft is about managing risk. Quinnen turned out to be a really smart pick as it turns out. The one time he went away from that strategy (Darnold) that pick washed him out of town 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah but no one is or was dumb enough to trade the #2 pick in the country for 31 year-old veteran Damien Woody’s almost-3 final career seasons. Never mind it’s factually inaccurate that he was a former all pro. He was a one-time pro-bowler (as a center with NE years earlier; not as a RT with the Jets), and was never once 2nd-team all-pro, let alone 1st team.

I’m totally in favor of upgrading RT via a better veteran in that mold, though, and they should have done that last season with Conklin instead of hedging with Fant because of his swing tackle flexibility. Except Fant’s not a good/reliable LT starter either, so it was a stupid hedge that missed the forest for the trees — something you and I agree upon.

So I wouldn’t trade the #2 pick in the country for Trent Brown, but hell yes I’d trade a day 2 pick for Trent Brown if the best presented alternative was to draft a RT with the #2 pick in the country. Brown wouldn’t even be such a major additional cost, since that’d free up the $9MM Douglas maddeningly awarded Fant. Of course it’d be smarter still to just sign one of these premiere linemen as FAs in the first place rather than trade for him.

The overpayment for a non-premium position ends up not being of long-term significance (it’s only 2 years guaranteed; so BFD that hyper-upgrade robs the team of $3-5MM/year it was going to leave in reserve those 2 years anyway, or would’ve used on the likes of paying one Brad McDougald, Terrelle Pryor, Ryan Griffin, Jermaine Kearse, etc.). Meanwhile what you’re getting for that small extra bite in the cap is it frees up the high draft pick(s) that should be used towards removing any thought of starting the likes of Kearse or Pryor or Perriman in the first place: to draft the above-average players at premium positions, who aren’t annually available as FAs (and when they occasionally are, they cost a hell of a lot more to sign than the $ difference between Fant and Conklin).

RT is quite obviously not a 1st tier position. Seeing how only 4 are paid over $10MM, it isn’t even 2nd tier. To suggest otherwise is to opine that every position is top-tier except TE, SS, FB, K and P. The only narrow circumstance a GM should even contemplate making a RT-upgrade such a high pick is: if the rest of the team is generally all set in place, where this 2nd-3rd tier position is one of the last 2-3 missing pieces, plus the draft is so weak up top no one is offering up close to chart value to trade up this far (e.g. 2013 draft, where Miami only had to surrender the 10th pick in round 2 to move up from #12 to #3). That isn’t the 2021 Jets by a long shot, isn’t the 2021 draft situation by a long shot, and using 1st tier picks on non-1st-tier positions is like drafting Jamal Adams over 2 FQBs all over again. A “sure thing” pick like Adams (or Sewell to upgrade RT) is big duh better than drafting a bust, but it’s not materially changing the team in a way a FA couldn’t. 

Thanks to years of criminal under-investment in the OL, Jets fans have reflexively become hyper-obsessed with every added person on the line needing to be a name/star - e.g. we need to sign Linsley AND Thuney, no matter how utterly unrealistic that is, or using the #2 pick in the draft to upgrade from Fant - rather than the true need which is for the non-Becton linemen to be individually adequate, and good as a group: add one upper-level FA, fill the other iOL slot via the draft or with a lesser veteran (at least for this year), and further assess what we’ve got after the season. Meanwhile use the other high-end FA $ to instead dramatically change the makeup of another position group like WR rather than incrementally change 1/5 of the OL.

Would I overpay for a free agent RT ~$15MM for a 2 years while the team has plenty of cap space (and no one really worth extending) anyway? It’s not ideal; but sure, absolutely. After those 2 guaranteed seasons (or even after just 1, if he has trade value), make an assessment whether he’s still worth keeping at that money: is the team’s better off using his $ elsewhere by going younger/cheaper at RT vs. going younger/cheaper elsewhere. But to do that, thanks to Edoga being the only other tackle prospect the team’s drafted since 2016, they’d have to start a Faneca-to-Slauson type pipeline draft investment in 2021-22 with the hopes it bears fruit in 2022-23.

The 2 best players in this draft after Lawrence are Sewell and Pitts.  The Jets passing on both just because of position  to take a risk on an Ohio state qb and an injury prone guy who got stats facing Reno Community College just doesn’t make sense

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

all this assumes the QB pick is good - which is like a 50/50 coinflip

Sewell is like 90/10 to hit and be a pro Bowl player forever

mac was a moron but the one thing he got correct is that the tippy top of the draft is about managing risk. Quinnen turned out to be a really smart pick as it turns out. The one time he went away from that strategy (Darnold) that pick washed him out of town 

But if Sewell is pro bowler, that doesn’t move the needle as much as if Wilson is a pro bowler. So while it’s less likely Wilson will be a pro bowler, there’s more of a chance of being a successful team if he is a pro bowler. If that makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

But if Sewell is pro bowler, that doesn’t move the needle as much as if Wilson is a pro bowler. So while it’s less likely Wilson will be a pro bowler, there’s more of a chance of being a successful team if he is a pro bowler. If that makes sense. 

i get what you are saying 

Wilson is QQ vs AK a classic show down for all the marbles 

Sewell is AA and you spike an A and collect a small pot 

if you play too conservatively you'll bubble or be short stacked at the final table. Too agressive and you wash out before the first break 

you need to win coinflips the question is now the time to make that flip?

Wilson feels like an aggressive draft move for anyone to make at 2. My interpretation is JD is hoping that someone else is brave enough to trade up and he doesn't have to face that situation 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The 2 best players in this draft after Lawrence are Sewell and Pitts.  The Jets passing on both just because of position  to take a risk on an Ohio state qb and an injury prone guy who got stats facing Reno Community College just doesn’t make sense

Whatever. No one upgrades the RT position by burning the 2nd overall pick. TE neither. 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:56 PM, bitonti said:

i get what you are saying 

Wilson is QQ vs AK a classic show down for all the marbles 

Sewell is AA and you spike an A and collect a small pot 

if you play too conservatively you'll bubble or be short stacked at the final table. Too agressive and you wash out before the first break 

you need to win coinflips the question is now the time to make that flip?

Wilson feels like an aggressive draft move for anyone to make at 2. My interpretation is JD is hoping that someone else is brave enough to trade up and he doesn't have to face that situation 

I completely agree with this ... what I hope happens  ... we drop down a couple slots .. pick up some picks ... fields goes 2 and we get Wilson lower on the board mitigating the risk.