Jump to content

Mike Tannenbaum: Daniel Jones 'clearly ahead' of Sam Darnold


Recommended Posts

For me, the only way we keep Darnold is either we draft a future QB or sign/trade for a QB such as Bridgewater, Trubisky and let them compete against Sam. Either scenario would provide some cushion at the QB position and a possible trade asset down the road.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/27/mike-tannenbaum-new-york-giants-daniel-jones-clearly-ahead-sam-darnold/

When the New York Giants passed on quarterback Sam Darnold in the 2018 NFL Draft, they were the subject of much criticism. When they then selected quarterback Daniel Jones with the sixth overall pick in 2019, that criticism intensified.

How could general manager Dave Gettleman have gotten it so wrong? Darnold was a future superstar in the eyes of many — even better than the likes of Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson.

Don’t let the hindsight chatter fool you, either. That’s exactly how it went back in 2018. Those who were on the Jackson and Allen bandwagon were outliers; exceptions to the rule rather than the rule itself.

Even after the 2018 season, many still believed Darnold was QB2 to Baker Mayfield. After all, Allen and Jackson were still finding their way at the time and weren’t close to the superstars they are today.

Those who wanted Darnold on the Giants or believed he would have been the right choice would not relent. Even when Jones came aboard, the comparisons and criticisms were both abundant and constant.

However, those crickets have ceased chirping of late. The reason? Gettleman got it right when he passed on Darnold, and precious few still cling to the notion that he’s a superstar in the making. Rather, in two years, Jones has completely outshined Darnold and proven that his ceiling is substantially higher than his East Rutherford counterpart.

Even former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum can now admit that.

“I think [Jones’] ceiling has shown to be higher than Sam’s. They both have the same problem with turnovers and questionable decision-making, but his athleticism shows up,” Tannenbaum told Big Blue View.

“[Jones is] a great athlete and that shows up, that translates. You see a lot of good things and if you believe in the axiom that the tape sets the floor and the character sets the ceiling, boy you want to bet on this guy.”

The Giants certainly see things that way. Head coach Joe Judge is every bit as sold on Jones as Gettleman, and that speaks volumes.

In terms of development, Tannenbaum believes Jones is “clearly ahead” of Darnold and heading for a better and more successful overall career. But at some point or another, Jones has to take his potential and turn it into consistency.

“At some point greatness is gonna show up. Let’s go! Take the team over and show that you’re a great quarterback,” Tannenbaum said. “There’s always going to be excuses … I think he’s flashed, but at some point we need to see it multiple weeks in a row.”

The Giants believe that will come in Year 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bronx said:

For me, the only way we keep Darnold is either we draft a future QB or sign/trade for a QB such as Bridgewater, Trubisky and let them compete against Sam. Either scenario would provide some cushion at the QB position and a possible trade asset down the road.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/27/mike-tannenbaum-new-york-giants-daniel-jones-clearly-ahead-sam-darnold/

When the New York Giants passed on quarterback Sam Darnold in the 2018 NFL Draft, they were the subject of much criticism. When they then selected quarterback Daniel Jones with the sixth overall pick in 2019, that criticism intensified.

How could general manager Dave Gettleman have gotten it so wrong? Darnold was a future superstar in the eyes of many — even better than the likes of Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson.

Don’t let the hindsight chatter fool you, either. That’s exactly how it went back in 2018. Those who were on the Jackson and Allen bandwagon were outliers; exceptions to the rule rather than the rule itself.

Even after the 2018 season, many still believed Darnold was QB2 to Baker Mayfield. After all, Allen and Jackson were still finding their way at the time and weren’t close to the superstars they are today.

Those who wanted Darnold on the Giants or believed he would have been the right choice would not relent. Even when Jones came aboard, the comparisons and criticisms were both abundant and constant.

However, those crickets have ceased chirping of late. The reason? Gettleman got it right when he passed on Darnold, and precious few still cling to the notion that he’s a superstar in the making. Rather, in two years, Jones has completely outshined Darnold and proven that his ceiling is substantially higher than his East Rutherford counterpart.

Even former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum can now admit that.

“I think [Jones’] ceiling has shown to be higher than Sam’s. They both have the same problem with turnovers and questionable decision-making, but his athleticism shows up,” Tannenbaum told Big Blue View.

“[Jones is] a great athlete and that shows up, that translates. You see a lot of good things and if you believe in the axiom that the tape sets the floor and the character sets the ceiling, boy you want to bet on this guy.”

The Giants certainly see things that way. Head coach Joe Judge is every bit as sold on Jones as Gettleman, and that speaks volumes.

In terms of development, Tannenbaum believes Jones is “clearly ahead” of Darnold and heading for a better and more successful overall career. But at some point or another, Jones has to take his potential and turn it into consistency.

“At some point greatness is gonna show up. Let’s go! Take the team over and show that you’re a great quarterback,” Tannenbaum said. “There’s always going to be excuses … I think he’s flashed, but at some point we need to see it multiple weeks in a row.”

The Giants believe that will come in Year 3.

 

Sam zombies be like: 

“No, no no!!!! These guys are just silly, Sam cannot be criticized or held accountable for anything(including college) up until this point because of the evil and powerful Adam Gase.
 

Silly writer you’ll see when we get Sam some weaponZ and a RT, he will magically fix all the flaws in his game like reading defenses, throwing accurate passes, not turning the ball over etc 
 

Even though Sam’s the worst QB in the league, his contract is expiring and the league is going through unprecedented QB turnover, we should stick with Darnold.
 

But hey, maybe we can bring in another teams toss away like Bridgewater or Jimmy G because why go for a cheap high upside rookie or Deshaun?

On top of that Sam is such a good kid he will say all the right things but do all the wrong things on the football field. 

Don’t ever bad mouth The Great Sam, he needs all the help he can get, even though he was the #3 overall pick and should be elevating the players around him “ 

 

🙄

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

 

Sam zombies be like: 

“No, no no!!!! These guys are just silly, Sam cannot be criticized or held accountable for anything(including college) up until this point because of the evil and powerful Adam Gase.
 

Silly writer you’ll see when we get Sam some weaponZ and a RT, he will magically fix all the flaws in his game like reading defenses, throwing accurate passes, not turning the ball over etc 
 

Even though Sam’s the worst QB in the league, his contract is expiring and the league is going through unprecedented QB turnover, we should stick with Darnold.
 

But hey, maybe we can bring in another teams toss away like Bridgewater or Jimmy G because why go for a cheap high upside rookie or Deshaun?

On top of that Sam is such a good kid he will say all the right things but do all the wrong things on the football field. 

Don’t ever bad mouth The Great Sam, he needs all the help he can get, even though he was the #3 overall pick and should be elevating the players around him “ 

 

🙄

for after the draft...

image.thumb.png.5fdf4871b0450ddf17be96d7d85f952d.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bronx said:

For me, the only way we keep Darnold is either we draft a future QB or sign/trade for a QB such as Bridgewater, Trubisky and let them compete against Sam. Either scenario would provide some cushion at the QB position and a possible trade asset down the road.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/27/mike-tannenbaum-new-york-giants-daniel-jones-clearly-ahead-sam-darnold/

When the New York Giants passed on quarterback Sam Darnold in the 2018 NFL Draft, they were the subject of much criticism. When they then selected quarterback Daniel Jones with the sixth overall pick in 2019, that criticism intensified.

How could general manager Dave Gettleman have gotten it so wrong? Darnold was a future superstar in the eyes of many — even better than the likes of Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson.

Don’t let the hindsight chatter fool you, either. That’s exactly how it went back in 2018. Those who were on the Jackson and Allen bandwagon were outliers; exceptions to the rule rather than the rule itself.

Even after the 2018 season, many still believed Darnold was QB2 to Baker Mayfield. After all, Allen and Jackson were still finding their way at the time and weren’t close to the superstars they are today.

Those who wanted Darnold on the Giants or believed he would have been the right choice would not relent. Even when Jones came aboard, the comparisons and criticisms were both abundant and constant.

However, those crickets have ceased chirping of late. The reason? Gettleman got it right when he passed on Darnold, and precious few still cling to the notion that he’s a superstar in the making. Rather, in two years, Jones has completely outshined Darnold and proven that his ceiling is substantially higher than his East Rutherford counterpart.

Even former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum can now admit that.

“I think [Jones’] ceiling has shown to be higher than Sam’s. They both have the same problem with turnovers and questionable decision-making, but his athleticism shows up,” Tannenbaum told Big Blue View.

“[Jones is] a great athlete and that shows up, that translates. You see a lot of good things and if you believe in the axiom that the tape sets the floor and the character sets the ceiling, boy you want to bet on this guy.”

The Giants certainly see things that way. Head coach Joe Judge is every bit as sold on Jones as Gettleman, and that speaks volumes.

In terms of development, Tannenbaum believes Jones is “clearly ahead” of Darnold and heading for a better and more successful overall career. But at some point or another, Jones has to take his potential and turn it into consistency.

“At some point greatness is gonna show up. Let’s go! Take the team over and show that you’re a great quarterback,” Tannenbaum said. “There’s always going to be excuses … I think he’s flashed, but at some point we need to see it multiple weeks in a row.”

The Giants believe that will come in Year 3.

I think with what we know now Gettleman made the right choice with Barkley over Sam, but the Jones pick is still very suspect, especially where he took him.  Jones regressed in 2020 compared to his rookie year and is no sure thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Darnold has more talent than Jones.  Darnold was the higher rated prospect. 

Both regressed last year.

Lets see with the new staff and players, if Sam keeps his job, before coming to conclusions about their careers under such poor circumstances.  

Plus Tanny who picked Clemens and Sanchez, then doubled down on Sanchez really shouldnt talk QBs.  

Picking Sanchez was forgivable, even if he never materialized into the QB we wanted him to be.

Doubling down on him with a big raise after the way he melted away the team’s playoff contention to close out the prior season, at times looking like he’d never played the position before. That was a legitimate cause for Jets fan depression right from the moment it was announced.

The announcement may as well have been, “We do not want this team to get any better.”

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Daniel Jones, turns the ball over and makes bad decisions will willful ignorance.

Sam does the same, but while shrouded in fear and low self-confidence.

There is no “ahead” here.

You’re not going to contribute to which disappointing top-6 overall pick sucks less?

Pfft, excuse us, your majesty. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn’t pass in Sam. Eli was holding the team hostage so they picked the running back. Daniel Jones ain’t gonna be a great QB. Maybe he’s ok, and better than Sam, but that’s not saying much. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

At least Darnold doesn’t put the ball on the ground every time he’s so much as sneezed on.

I’ve never seen a QB with the absolutely sh*tastic ball security issues that Jones has.

29 fumbles in 27 games........

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You’re not going to contribute to which disappointing top-6 overall pick sucks less?

Pfft, excuse us, your majesty. :) 

You don’t have to be so formal. You can address me as “his holiness the Dal-Ape Lama”.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I think with what we know now Gettleman made the right choice with Barkley over Sam, but the Jones pick is still very suspect, especially where he took him.  Jones regressed in 2020 compared to his rookie year and is no sure thing.

Gettleman made the wrong pick.  It wasn't Barkley or Darnold.  

He should have picked Jackson or Allen.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think a more meaningless comparison  can be made. Comparing Darnold to Jones is like comparing MySpace to Friendster. Both have or had uses but nobody is going to use either one in today's age. 

Except by all accounts our GM and the majority of fans on JetNation are pitching the idea of keeping Darnold another year.

It's insane.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a shame COVID wound up cancelling the ticker tape parade NYC would have thrown for Gettleman for passing on the 32nd ranked QB for the 31st ranked QB. In the euphoria and pandemonium it would have been easy to forget that he also passed on the number 4 ranked QB and the 2019 MVP to select a RB 2nd overall.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Wit said:

They didn’t pass in Sam. Eli was holding the team hostage so they picked the running back. Daniel Jones ain’t gonna be a great QB. Maybe he’s ok, and better than Sam, but that’s not saying much. 

And ownership fatefully gave Eli loyalty for the 2 SB wins. It cost them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

At least Darnold doesn’t put the ball on the ground every time he’s so much as sneezed on.

I’ve never seen a QB with the absolutely sh*tastic ball security issues that Jones has.

Sam isn't a whole lot better Jones had 51 Turn overs in two years, Darnold had 44

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...