How much BETTER can the Jets be in 2021?

NYJ1

If you believe Joe Douglas is a good GM, as do I, then you have to know this off season is probably the defining moment of Douglas as our GM? You'd have to be living under a rock, not to think the Jets have a big chance to improve going into 2021. Because the Jets have plenty of extra draft capital, and there stands to be more if Douglas trades down out of 2, they could really improve the team besides QB.

My question is, right now before the draft, how much better do you think the Jets can be in 2021? 

I believe in Sammy.  I'm thinking Joe Douglas has a draft for the ages. Then to begin 2021, the Jets are pretty much the same garbage they've been for years, then sometime around the middle of the season, Sammy takes a step forward with a decent, young supporting cast. I think they have a winning record in the second half of the season and manage to ultimately win 7 or 8 games THIS season. What do you think?

12 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

If you believe Joe Douglas is a good GM, as do I, then you have to know this off season is probably the defining moment of Douglas as our GM? You'd have to be living under a rock, not to think the Jets have a big chance to improve going into 2021. Because the Jets have plenty of extra draft capital, and there stands to be more if Douglas trades down out of 2, they could really improve the team besides QB.

My question is, right now before the draft, how much better do you think the Jets can be in 2021? 

I believe in Sammy.  I'm thinking Joe Douglas has a draft for the ages. Then to begin 2021, the Jets are pretty much the same garbage they've been for years, then sometime around the middle of the season, Sammy takes a step forward with a decent, young supporting cast. I think they have a winning record in the second half of the season and manage to ultimately win 7 or 8 games THIS season. What do you think?

Probably a six to seven win team if we really hit on some draft picks. Our schedule is brutal and team don’t jump from a 2 win team to the playoffs. 

the only wild card is how bad the coaching really was. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Wit said:

Probably a six to seven win team if we really hit on some draft picks. Our schedule is brutal and team don’t jump from a 2 win team to the playoffs. 

Thats it?  We easily could have, I know, won 5 a year ago.  The number of draft picks, the cap space for FA and we can address the areas of need.  Hate the brutal schedule talk.  Its a schedule, a NFL schedule.  Never mind who knows how hard it will be today.  

I dont know how many wins but more talent and a CS that doesnt completely such ass?  I'll be disappointed with 6 wins.

At this point I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say the Jets range of outcomes is worst team in the league to a team that can compete with Buffalo to win the AFC East.

Whenever a team has a new coach and a new QB, particularly if they are replacing a bad coach and a bad QB I think there’s almost no comparison to the previous year. You combine that with the potential of adding one of the 5 best QBs in the league, more draft capital than anyone in the league, and the 2nd most cap space and this team could look nothing like the team that was on the field next year.

If the Jets said all we want to do is win next year and signed one year deals with older established veterans and got Watson, I think they could compete. However, since I think Watson is a long shot and I think JD will opt to sign middle tier and younger players in FA, I think our ceiling with a rookie or Sam is probably 8 wins next year.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Wit said:

This is pretty much exactly the way I've been thinking? I'm thinking Douglas kills the draft and FA and suddenly Sammy has a team to work with. Saleh becomes a better HC in the second half, etc.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Too many variables to say anything except better than last year. 

Wow! You're really going out on a limb with that prediction. I hope you didn't hurt yourself coming up with that. It's a no brainer when you're a 2 win team that you'll be better.....

41 minutes ago, Wit said:

49ers went from a 4 win team to the superbowl. A good free agency and draft and we could be competitive in the AFC east, also was listening to Chris sims the other night and he thinks Darnold is better than Jimmy G

Possible roster going into 2021 season

QB Darnold

OL becton thuney mcgovern van rotten fant

Rb johnson and gainwell

Wr mims ju ju toney

TE Pitts herndon

DT williams fatasuki

DE hendrickson zuniga/huff

LB mosley milano cashman

Safety Maye davis 

CB hall sherman poole 

Add in another two or three lower round draft picks and I believe this roster can be competitive but then again I still believe in Sam.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

w/Zack Wilson: 1-15

w/Justin Fields: 3-13

w/Sam Darnold: 5-11

w/Deshaun Watson: 10-6

If DW was on the 2020 Jets, how many games would we have won?

I would think 7-8. 

Game 1 Bills

Game 7 Bills

Game 9 Pats

Game 10 Chargers

Game 12 Raiders

In addition to Rams (Goff Sucks) & Browns (still don’t understand how we won)  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Hard to tell before the offseason has really begun, but I sure hope to watch meaningful football in December this year.  With the draft capital and cap space we have, no reason to think we cannot be an 8-win team, and if we catch a break or two, maybe sneak into the wild card.  Until we see how free agency and the draft play out, thats my story and I am sticking to it.

• Upvote 2

Could be much better if we get Watson.

The Jets with a decent coach and Watson could win 8 games or so but that is their top end and they would win 8 games the next 4 years.

If they stick to a true rebuild they will win 5 games, but then the totals will go up from there until we win the super bowl.

1 hour ago, Wit said:

• 2008 Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5
  • 2011 Colts went from 2-14 to 11-5
  • 2013 Chiefs went from 2-14 to 11-5

So I would have to say that 11-5 feels like the right answer :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:
  • 2008 Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5
  • 2011 Colts went from 2-14 to 11-5
  • 2013 Chiefs went from 2-14 to 11-5

So I would have to say that 11-5 feels like the right answer :)

From your lips to the football gods ears brother. 

IMHO our best case is that Sam really is a diamond in the rough and that we can use our FA and draft assets elsewhere to build a winner.  Sadly I do not think Sam is all that so I think our 2021 upside is not all that promising .  Def below .500 yet on the improve.  

• Upvote 2

If by some miracle we got Deshaun, we are a five win team at best..  not much better than the Texans last year.  Our current roster is historically bad, completely new to Salehs systems, and no draft in NFL history turns around a culture train wreck of this magnitude.  If we hit on all our FAs and throw away our cap future alla Mac, we might get to seven wins.

With a rookie qb, it won’t be much better than last year.

Teams that turn it around typically had a lot of talent in place that simply took time to gel.  The 49ers and Browns are examples of that.  They managed losing seasons despite having far more young talent than we have, and it really took them two years to turn it around with that stable base in place.

• Upvote 1

I am going to be negative here. 

Although I like JD, when I look at his FA and draft last year, it objectively was not good.  Not only that, but while teams like Cleveland and Buffalo were building around their year 2 first round QB, JD was basically spinning his wheels.   The team JD inherited from Mac was drafting in the top 5.  JD pushed it into the top 2 last off season. 

The Jets still need 2 Gs, and he basically could have drafted at least 2 last year on rookie 3rd round and below contracts.  Instead he has Lewis and Van Roten signed for too much money.   Elflein was cut from Minnesota yet looked like a revelation when he was put into the game. 

I would have liked to see JD sign fewer, better players to longer contracts last year so that he can build a base.  The players he signed-Perriman, Poole, Van Roten, Lewis, Fant, Griffin, could be let go this year, for substantial cap savings, if anything close to a reasonable replacements could be obtained in the draft.

So, if I am JD, I am releasing players who can yield substantial cap savings and replacing them with players, likely more expensive, who can be signed into 2022.   Crowder for Juju, Fant for Moton, Lewis and Van Roten for one of Thuney or Scherff,  Use the draft on WRs, CBs, LBs, RBs and developmental OL.  

I would not waste the money franchising Maye.  Offer him a 4 x $9mm contract, $25mm guaranteed.  I guess we can franchise Maye for 2 years, but I think that is amoral.  

Same thing with Darnold.  His time is up.  He is not worth $20mm in 2022.  Take a chance on who JD thinks is the best rookie for the system, let Morgan or someone else play if the rookie is not ready, 

Hopefully Cam Clark, Zuniga and Davis can contribute this year.  I am bit worried about Davis, as he is a FS and so his Maye.  Maybe Davis is your slot corner.  Davis may end up being the 5th DB generally. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Here is a sad  commentary, but I feel it’s true. 

in no particular order.

I hope to root for wins and not losses.

I hope to see them NOT be completely blown off the field almost every week.

I DON’T want to know the season is already over at the final gun opening day.