Let's look at something JD & Saleh might look at

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The Ryan Griffen pick had me in tears I was laughing so hard.

Griffin made it obvious, but I'm curious just what he's supposed to do.  Maybe he made his cut to the middle at the wrong place, I don't know.  But one defender he was supposed to block was running two yards to his left, the other was three yards to his right, so if he continued to run a straight line like a legit receiver would, he misses everybody.

Guess he figured that he's gonna make sure at least _one_ of these guys is going to get blocked, and hope the ref doesn't notice.

2 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Griffin made it obvious, but I'm curious just what he's supposed to do.  Maybe he made his cut to the middle at the wrong place, I don't know.  But one defender he was supposed to block was running two yards to his left, the other was three yards to his right, so if he continued to run a straight line like a legit receiver would, he misses everybody.

Guess he figured that he's gonna make sure at least _one_ of these guys is going to get blocked, and hope the ref doesn't notice.

I think Griffin was just confused because nobody covered him and Darnold still refused to throw the ball to him lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

At some point this becomes JD's team.  He put out that garbage this year.  He made a lot of choices and most of them bad.

Now, I really, really hope he understood that he had to truly flip the roster and accepted last season as a throw away - and signed the crap he signed with full knowledge of what he was putting on the field.

I really have to believe that because the alternative is frightening.

Okay Fidelio, that is simply just not true that most of his decisions were bad.

This roster was the bottom-feeder for about 5-7 years.  It's amazing we did as well as we did given the poor drafting that took place for almost a decade.

He put a team and put it together with bandaids during the most upside down season in sporting history thanks to a pandemic.  Just think of this season as a complete throwaway, like it should have been.

Right now, early reports look like we have the 50 percent success rate for the draft this season.  He put together a bunch of one-year F/A contracts to see if anyone was worth keeping.  There will be a few.   He set us up for MULTIPLE extra picks the next two seasons.  

Did everything work?  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  But to me, some of the harsh criticism is just not warranted.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I could honestly see us making a go with Sam plus adding Brissett or Beathard as a backup with starting experience, and Morgan. Not sexy, but very pragmatic.

Brissett and Beathard can take over for the year if Sam bombs. Meaning, bad Sam doesn’t equal lost season.

Then we take proper steps to get a QB next year. Or, we see Sam can hang and roll.

In the meantime, we have a mountain of resources to build a great team.

It's not a bad idea while we build the team around whoever.  Then, in about two years, we go after a QB, all the while drafting guys in lower rounds and taking a shot.

As I have said in multiple threads, it appears that today's NFL QB does not come in and save a franchise like they once did.  For every Andrew Luck drafted to carry a team, there are 5-7 Mitch Trubinsky's who, if there was enough talent around them, could be good enough.  But all it took was both starting LT and RT to not play for the KC Chiefs to make Patrick Mahomes look no better than Sam Darnold has in the three years he was given complete S*** to play with and asking him to turn it into shine-ola.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It's not a bad idea while we build the team around whoever.  Then, in about two years, we go after a QB, all the while drafting guys in lower rounds and taking a shot.

As I have said in multiple threads, it appears that today's NFL QB does not come in and save a franchise like they once did.  For every Andrew Luck drafted to carry a team, there are 5-7 Mitch Trubinsky's who, if there was enough talent around them, could be good enough.  But all it took was both starting LT and RT to not play for the KC Chiefs to make Patrick Mahomes look no better than Sam Darnold has in the three years he was given complete S*** to play with and asking him to turn it into shine-ola.

And Mahomes still had his All Pro's at W/R and TE :cheers:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Okay Fidelio, that is simply just not true that most of his decisions were bad.

This roster was the bottom-feeder for about 5-7 years.  It's amazing we did as well as we did given the poor drafting that took place for almost a decade.

He put a team and put it together with bandaids during the most upside down season in sporting history thanks to a pandemic.  Just think of this season as a complete throwaway, like it should have been.

Right now, early reports look like we have the 50 percent success rate for the draft this season.  He put together a bunch of one-year F/A contracts to see if anyone was worth keeping.  There will be a few.   He set us up for MULTIPLE extra picks the next two seasons.  

Did everything work?  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  But to me, some of the harsh criticism is just not warranted.  

He put out one of the worst rosters I've ever seen.  I'm not really sure you can argue that.  The team that JD assembled and put on the field last year was dreadful.  There is no way around that.

Now, I stated very clearly - on multiple occasion, I believe what he did was essentially by choice - because he had to just clean house. I don't think he's done a bad job....

He did what was necessary, but his team building skills are still a complete unknown.  We know he did what he had to do (which is a very good sign) we know he seems capable of tearing a team down (and doing it efficiently - clearing cap space and loading up picks)

But we have no idea if he's capable of building a team.  We're going to find out a lot over the next few months.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Colts build. Plug and play at WB until you get ‘the guy’, but compete regardless.

4 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

The disaster here is that we burned two years of Darnold's rookie deal fielding this dreck.  Even if he can be turned around, how can you take the gamble?  We're literally an expansion team at this stage...

Even worse was that it stunted his growth and development while people here were complaining that "if Darnold is a FQB then he'd be raising the play of guys around him like Brady does."  How do you develop a guy when he's trying to complete passes and make plays with guys who shouldn't be starting in the league?  It's like spending two years of a Little Leaguer's life teaching him to hit by giving him a hockey stick and tossing beach balls across the plate.

• Upvote 3

There is a lot of truthful statements made here... I for one think that Fidelio point about JD roster building is accurate.  When I saw the team we were fielding, I thought I was watching a script written by Rod Serling...  you know, alternate reality bad.   I also thought that he wasn't sold on AG and when the camera's caught him holding his head in his hands, I thought it was priceless and said volumes. about the HC position.   

I like JD and think he is the right man because to his credit he has admitted his mistakes and ran the new coaching search professionally and IMHO astutely (there is no way he didn't have dossiers on every coach he interview before he started the interviews coupled with an idea of what this team needed to be successful). 

Now, the ball is in his court.  Unless he fools me and takes Sewell and doesn't trade down, I believe he will trade down and get as many picks as he can to get starting caliber players on the roster... I also think he will try very hard tin FA to fix the C, G MAYBE CB positions.... he may fool me and go WR and maybe a rusher but I am thinking OL and CB.  

The pressure is on him now and he needs, as Purcell's use to say, get the Grocery's.  We'll see. 

One final thought, call me crazy but I believe they will keep SAM and try to resurrect him, i.e., build his confidence (its shot), work on footwork, keep the game simple for him - like USC and 1st year here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I could honestly see us making a go with Sam plus adding Brissett or Beathard as a backup with starting experience, and Morgan. Not sexy, but very pragmatic.

Brissett and Beathard can take over for the year if Sam bombs. Meaning, bad Sam doesn’t equal lost season.

Then we take proper steps to get a QB next year. Or, we see Sam can hang and roll.

In the meantime, we have a mountain of resources to build a great team.

This is my plan in many ways for the team.

I could even see trading down and then if a QB like Lance drops then picking them and letting them sit for a year.......  This way we are not held hostage by Darnold!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is my plan in many ways for the team.

I could even see trading down and then if a QB like Lance drops then picking them and letting them sit for a year.......  This way we are not held hostage by Darnold!

We may be few in number but I like Lance also..:cheers:

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I usually hate these videos, but that was really good. I like that his conclusion was that the talent level on the team was so bad that it was unfair for those dudes to be asked to go out and pretend to be starting caliber players.

No Doubt the video shows how inept the offensive design was and the talent level was not their either but that's not what's going to make me feel bad for Sam Darnold in any way.

Just like this video picking on a few choice plays here, there are numerous videos showing Sam Himself missing wide open receivers all over the field. There are videos of Sam not having any pocket presence at all and there are videos showing how Sam's terrible mechanics also effected his play causing him to air mail balls, under throw balls, and throw balls that just had you shaking your head. 

What this tells me is if we surround Sam Darnold with elite talent he may be able to get by, but when that elite talent faces equally elite talent in some of the defenses they face, then guess who once again becomes exposed ? Sam Darnold. What type of defenses do you face in the playoffs ? Elite ones and that's when you have to have the players and the smarts to shine and Sam will never ever be that QB. This philosophy was proven in the SB that a very solid elite type defense will more often than not shut down an elite Passing offense. When a defense is playing at the level Tampa Bay was there is only one way to beat them ...Impose your will by running the ball down their throats and giving your QB the option of play action. If you were detached from football for the past 5 years and watched that SB game not knowing it was a SB or what the teams were about in any way you would come away thinking the Chiefs sucked and that Pat Mahomes was nothing special. So if Pat Mahomes as great as he is has these issues you can magnify that 100 times over and you get Sam Darnold.

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look the time for Sam Darnold is probably over, period.  That isn’t the issue to me.  

The question that has to be asked is what are JD & Saleh looking at when they review the Jets team at least on the offensive side of the ball?

Below aren’t Sam Clips, the review comes from the time when Sam was out so that is refreshing but they show why we can be better next year regardless of who is the QB.  I like this guys take. 

Also to me pay attention to the Mahomes comment in here, it is important  

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Even worse was that it stunted his growth and development while people here were complaining that "if Darnold is a FQB then he'd be raising the play of guys around him like Brady does."  How do you develop a guy when he's trying to complete passes and make plays with guys who shouldn't be starting in the league?  It's like spending two years of a Little Leaguer's life teaching him to hit by giving him a hockey stick and tossing beach balls across the plate.

With no running game, and no QB coach. This organization should give Sam another chance, based on guilt alone.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Guy seriously, Sam’s a goner.

JD has his choice of coach, and from the looks of it, he has complete control of all football operations (thank you brothers Johnson). Something we haven’t seen the Jet organization do since Parcels.

Now, he will choose his QB. and it won’t be Sam. He’s got too many flaws for a 3rd year starter and it will be career suicide if god forbid, Fields and or Wilson are any good. And then there’s Watson. Will he mortgage the farm on his IF he’s traded? Well, we’ll see. That’s why he’s getting paid the big bucks after all.

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look the time for Sam Darnold is probably over, period.  That isn’t the issue to me.  

The question that has to be asked is what are JD & Saleh looking at when they review the Jets team at least on the offensive side of the ball?

Below aren’t Sam Clips, the review comes from the time when Sam was out so that is refreshing but they show why we can be better next year regardless of who is the QB.  I like this guys take. 

Also to me pay attention to the Mahomes comment in here, it is important  

MAHOMES II comments are always important! :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He put out one of the worst rosters I've ever seen.  I'm not really sure you can argue that.  The team that JD assembled and put on the field last year was dreadful.  There is no way around that.

Now, I stated very clearly - on multiple occasion, I believe what he did was essentially by choice - because he had to just clean house. I don't think he's done a bad job....

He did what was necessary, but his team building skills are still a complete unknown.  We know he did what he had to do (which is a very good sign) we know he seems capable of tearing a team down (and doing it efficiently - clearing cap space and loading up picks)

But we have no idea if he's capable of building a team.  We're going to find out a lot over the next few months.

Fair enough....We shall see.  I like what I saw with the first draft, and I loved the Pat Elflien pick-up part-way through the year.  He will now have to fill three starter spots by F/A, and fill in the rest of the roster.  We need 2-3 starters out of this draft, and need Perrine to fill out the back up role, Davis, Bryce Hall to take a step up, and Mann to be more consistent.  IF we get something out of Clark, this draft will start to look real good.  

BUT...He has to hit on the 2+ 1st round picks and our 2nd rounder as well.   

• Upvote 2