Jets expected to use franchise tag on Maye

Jetlife33

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Solid move. Locks him up to negotiate long-term later, but also as an asset we can shop around in trades, if needed, without his long-term contract being a scare off.

Plus keeps him from doing the Mo Wilk for a year. Not saying he would but can’t say he wouldn’t either. 

• Upvote 1

Smart move. I couldn't understand the rationale behind the articles/threads/ideas suggesting this offseason it's smart to extend Maye in the neighborhood of 4 years $60MM with 2 years fully guaranteed. That makes no sense in the current situation:

• 1 year fully guaranteed $10MM. 
  • Then next year it'd be another year guaranteed at ~$12MM. But only guaranteeing them 1 year at a time if he has an excellent (and healthy) 2021 and Saleh badly wants him back.

I doubt Maye ideally wants it that way, but the only way he should get >1 year guaranteed now is if he accepts an extension that maxes out at ~$22MM over the first 2 years. Maybe a couple bucks more just in the interest of player/team harmony, but he's also in the first year with a new coaching staff who may or may not want him beyond 2021 anyway.

After year 2 there can be a raise built in, but it wouldn't be guaranteed. Absent that, there's little incentive for the team to go that route instead of tag + tag.

There's really no one else on the roster worth tagging in 2022 anyway, and the only potential one I'm seeing would be Herndon if he suddenly has like an 800+ yard season and they can't come to terms on an extension.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Relieved to hear we intend to retain Maye, whether on a one year deal or multi. Seems like a good move for all concerned and while our D is nowhere near great, a spine of Q (and Foley) with the returning Mosley in the middle and Maye at the back-end is actually a pretty solid start. Add a pass rusher or two and another decent CB and hopefully some creative coaching and game planning and Saleh/Ulbrich have something to work with 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, redlichtie said:

Relieved to hear we intend to retain Maye, whether on a one year deal or multi. Seems like a good move for all concerned and while our D is nowhere near great, a spine of Q (and Foley) with the returning Mosley in the middle and Maye at the back-end is actually a pretty solid start. Add a pass rusher or two and another decent CB and hopefully some creative coaching and game planning and Saleh/Ulbrich have something to work with 

Returning Mosley? If Saleh can get that guy to show up and play even at 75% then the Saleh statue at MetLife deserves at least a preliminary sketch. Would be huge for this D. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Smart move. I couldn't understand the rationale behind the articles/threads/ideas suggesting this offseason it's smart to extend Maye in the neighborhood of 4 years $60MM with 2 years fully guaranteed. That makes no sense in the current situation:

• Then next year it'd be another year guaranteed at ~$12MM. But only guaranteeing them 1 year at a time if he has an excellent (and healthy) 2021 and Saleh badly wants him back.

I doubt Maye ideally wants it that way, but the only way he should get >1 year guaranteed now is if he accepts an extension that maxes out at ~$22MM over the first 2 years. Maybe a couple bucks more just in the interest of player/team harmony, but he's also in the first year with a new coaching staff who may or may not want him beyond 2021 anyway.

After year 2 there can be a raise built in, but it wouldn't be guaranteed. Absent that, there's little incentive for the team to go that route instead of tag + tag.

There's really no one else on the roster worth tagging in 2022 anyway, and the only potential one I'm seeing would be Herndon if he suddenly has like an 800+ yard season and they can't come to terms on an extension.

Completely agree, the franchise number is so low that you can actually look at using it two years in a row and it wont be crippling.

Maye is also very old for a player coming up on his first contract as he will somehow be 28 on opening day.  Double franchise tags makes the most sense.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

Wow! First Jet to be franchised since Muhammad Wilkerson in 2016 (he eventually received an extension). 

Doesn’t happen everyday. 

We haven't had many players worth franchising unfortunately.

Maye is a good player getting his second deal -- and seems like a well respected leader. Seems like an obvious move.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think the bolded is the reason you give him a real extension. Guy is a team leader -- I don't think it's a bad idea to operate in good faith and "do right by him" given where the franchise is at the moment.

• Upvote 3

Jamal: 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 interceptions, 83 combined tackles
Maye: 11 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, 88 combined tackles
But jamalaboutme had more sacks when not blocked, poaching at the line of scrimmage, play maker!

Jamalaboutme is the perfect name for him, nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Speaking of the tag -- because he's unlikely to be a franchise tag candidate as a 2-down NT, I'd like Douglas to extend Fatusaki. Do it before he has another season under his belt improving further and potentially seeing the field even more. Or even if the extension isn't made official yet, at least find out what $ he's looking for as it may affect day 3 of the draft (or this FA period) to plan for 2022 without him if the number sought is nutty.

Before the season begins - before a player has to undergo a season of injury risk - and even before the offseason when some players go on IR as well, is when the team has that type of leverage with a player who's earned a total of $2MM (before taxes) so far plus is due just $2MM this year & his risk is he could end up with nothing if he has a major injury this year. On top of that it saves on 1 less year of player/cap inflation. And do it while he's only had 1 good season under his belt, and it was while being in on less than half the D's snap counts. 

Makes more sense than Douglas getting in early to lock in Ryan Griffin in mid-2019 through his age-32 season (while making no extension offer to Anderson). Was there a huge concern there'd be teams pushing each other out of the way for a chance at 30 year-old Griffin just because he once had 3 good games in a 4-week span? He hasn't had a 35-yard game since signing it. 

Anyway, imo this is a good time to extend FF. I don't want to sit on this, only to see him have an even better 2021 season, and then he wants Kenny Clark money as a 2022 UFA.

I feel like this topic was often discussed with our previous GM and his lack of ability to do early extensions, but Fatuski is an excellent example, not just because of his earnings or injury risk, but the risk that he explodes as a player and becomes an $8 million/year player as opposed to a $3 million/year player.

The last 2 defensive systems have been odd at best for QW and Fatuski as far as scheme and playing time.  Its possibly that Fatuski is just a good run-stuffing DT, but putting him in this system, next to someone like QW and its entirely possible he could put up a 6/7 sack season and really drive up his FA price. 

He will be 26 on opening day, so getting him at 3 year $10 million with the opportunity for another payday before he is 30 seems like a good contract for the Jets and ensures that Fatuski can get some level of life changing money no matter what happens in 2020.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If I was Maye I wouldn’t be too upset with it, he probably wasn’t going to be making 10-11 million this upcoming year on a long term deal. 

• Upvote 2

This is another example of a player who should have been extended either before the 2020 season or mid-season.   We all knew that Maye is a quality player, and anyone could have predicted that his numbers would be better with Adams not on the team. 

The price of players is always higher after the season.  The great GMs are able to self-scout and extend players before their contracts expire.  

I would like and hope to see Davis and Maye on the field at the same time. 

• Upvote 1

This let's JD and the Jets punt the decision for a bit, and avoids creating yet another need in FA to address.  Maye is basically the second best defender on the team and using roughly $10.5M to alleviate a potential worry/distraction is a no-brainer.  It allows the FO to focus on the multitude of other tasks ahead in FA.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is another example of a player who should have been extended either before the 2020 season or mid-season.   We all knew that Maye is a quality player, and anyone could have predicted that his numbers would be better with Adams not on the team. 

The price of players is always higher after the season.  The great GMs are able to self-scout and extend players before their contracts expire.  

I would like and hope to see Davis and Maye on the field at the same time. 

I think the franchise tag is the perfect plan for the Jets with Maye. They can extended him any time during this upcoming year. Only 10 million. 

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons the Jets were willing to trade Jamal Adams six months ago was that they had safety Marcus Maye ready to step into a bigger role. Now Maye is the one looking for a huge contract.

He may have to wait.

Maye is the Jets’ lone candidate to get the “franchise tag” when the two-week window to use it opens on Tuesday, and several NFL sources believe the Jets will use it on him – at a cost of about $10-11 million -- to keep him away from free agency. That could buy them some time to reach a long-term deal – though there’s no indication they’re close to that, at the moment.

More to the point, it’s also the fiscally responsible thing to do for a player whose long-term value isn’t really clear. Maye played well last season, in his first without Adams by his side, but he’s going to want to be paid like one of the top safeties in the game – especially from the Jets, since they’re sitting on a mountain of salary cap space. In recent years, safety contracts have spiraled to the point where the top ones make an average of $14 million per year.

It's hard to argue Maye is worth that much.

“Maye is a really good player, but I don’t know that I’d put him up there with the top five or 10 safeties in the game,” said an NFL scout. “He might get there, especially with a better team around him and in (new coach Robert Saleh’s) defense. But I don’t think he’s there yet. He hasn’t had that kind of impact.”

It’s hard to say if that’s the prevailing thought around the league, or if there would be some team willing to pay him that kind of money. But the Jets can’t let him test the market to find out. The temptation for Maye to leave a team where he’s known nothing but losing would undoubtedly be great. And Maye is currently the only potential impact player the Jets have on defense aside from defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, so they’d be crazy to let him go without a fight at all.

That’s why the tag makes so much sense for the Jets. But it also makes some sense for Maye, who turns 28 a week before free agency begins, because this free-agent market is expected to a lot different than it’s been in previous years.

With the salary cap expected to drop from $198.2 million to about $185 million – just the second drop in the history of the cap – several teams will be forced to cut valuable players just to get under the cap. That could mean a flooded free agent market. And with more players available and fewer teams with lots of cap space to spend, the big money might not trickle down below the top tier.

That’s why there’s an expectation around the NFL that a lot of good players will settle for one-year deals in free agency, hoping to try their luck again when the cap (presumably) rises in 2022.

“That’s where the real money is going to be,” said one NFL agent. “So if you’re a guy like Marcus, not in the top tier, you might not find that big contract this year. You might have to take a one-year deal, bet on yourself, and take your shot again next year. That’s the same as getting the franchise tag, only the tag is probably worth more.”

The salary cap isn’t officially set yet, and might not be for another week or so, so don’t expect the Jets or any team to make an immediate decision on the franchise or transition tags. They have until March 9 to use it or lose it. The free agent signing period begins one week later on March 17. 

-Ralph Vacchiano SNY

• Upvote 1

Dov Kleiman

@NFL_DovKleiman

·

57mThe #Jets will place the franchise tag on Safety Marcus Maye, sources tell

@RVacchianoSNY

Maye has recorded 22 passes defended and 6 INTs in his career The tag will cost about $10-11 million. The Jets have the second most cap space in the NFL at $73.3M