Jump to content

Jets expected to use franchise tag on Maye


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2020 Jamal: 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 interceptions, 83 combined tackles Maye: 11 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, 88 c

Joe should see if anyone will give him two first round picks for Maye. 

Aa long as he gets at least $1 more than Jamal my fat will stay happy 

This draft class unlike last year is very deep at safety especially day 2 prospects. Some are day one talents but die to INJ maybe day 3 selections.

Paris Ford, Andre Cisco, Jevon Holland, Richie Grant and Trevon Moehrig. So tag Maye and draft a safety. It's not like Davis is shining and the team needs 3 solid Safeties anyway.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't Proclaim to be a cap Guru of any kind. This situation kind of reminds me of Leon Washington who was homegrown and humble until people started whispering in his ear.

Marcus is a smooth cool easy dude to root for. I don't think he would have any problem accepting a fair and decent contract offer.

Unless he absolutely hates the Jets behind the scenes, I don't understand why they would need to tag him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Marcus Maye

As the Jets prepare to enter free agency in pursuit of other team’s top players, at least one report has surfaced that claims they’ll use the franchise tag to retain one of their own in safety Marcus Maye.

Here's why the smart move — and maybe the likely move — for the Jets is to use the 'franchise tag' on safety Marcus Maye … https://t.co/JOf8RL2R5g pic.twitter.com/6fkxH9mJEU

— Ralph Vacchiano (@RVacchianoSNY) February 28, 2021

The last remaining player from the team’s disastrous 2017 draft, Maye has grown to become a reliable and durable safety who is solid against both the run and the pass.  Maye has started all 16 games in 3 of 4 pro seasons while racking up 266 tackles, 6 interceptions, 5 tackles for loss and 4 forced fumbles.

With plenty of holes left to fill on one  of the league’s worst rosters, tagging Maye makes sense for general manager Joe Douglas as he will look to fill at least one spot on the depth chart before it becomes another need.  As a respected veteran and locker room presence, Maye will also be a key in anchoring a secondary that could have as many as three new starters in 2021.

The post Report: Jets to use Franchise tag on Marcus Maye appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/htB7maQS69U

Click here to read the full story...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

But jamalaboutme

As a rule, I absolute hate the sophomoric nicknames this website gives to players.

That having been said... This one is funny as sh*t.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

2020

Jamal: 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 interceptions, 83 combined tackles

Maye: 11 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, 88 combined tackles

But jamalaboutme had more sacks when not blocked, poaching at the line of scrimmage, play maker!

I'm all for ripping on Jamal but that is 12 games from Jamal and 16 games from Maye

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I don't Proclaim to be a cap Guru of any kind. This situation kind of reminds me of Leon Washington who was homegrown and humble until people started whispering in his ear.

Marcus is a smooth cool easy dude to root for. I don't think he would have any problem accepting a fair and decent contract offer.

Unless he absolutely hates the Jets behind the scenes, I don't understand why they would need to tag him.

It's his only shot at a big contract at 28 years old. Budda Baker was taken 3 picks in front of Maye and landed a $15M a year deal. Maye will see himself worthy of that type of pay day.

 

Maye (16 games)

2 INT - 11 PD - 2 FF - 1 FR - 2 Sacks - 88 Tkl

Baker (15 games)

2 INT - 6 PD - 1 FF - 0 FR - 2 Sacks - 118 Tkl

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm all for ripping on Jamal but that is 12 games from Jamal and 16 games from Maye

Jamal being an all pro and Maye being on the jets should be killing him in some of those stats.

The biggest indictment about jamal adams is he can't cover and he creates almost no turnovers.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jamal being an all pro and Maye being on the jets should be killing him in some of those stats.

The biggest indictment about jamal adams is he can't cover and he creates almost no turnovers.

oo yea I'm right there with you, I just think some context is needed because some may just assume it's even comparison.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm all for ripping on Jamal but that is 12 games from Jamal and 16 games from Maye

The greatest NFL ability is availability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm all for ripping on Jamal but that is 12 games from Jamal and 16 games from Maye

Adams is not good in coverage.  2 career picks in 4 years is what it is

Link to post
Share on other sites

But Maybe was part of a 2 and 14 team last year.  Why not let him walk?  We could get a comp pick that will allow us to build a super team.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jetophile said:

Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams are 0-0 in the Playoffs 

Sorry to have to correct you.  Jamal Adams is 0-1 in the Playoffs.  Marcus Maye is 0-0 in the playoffs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It woukd be hilarious if Maye got his deal Done before Adams. It would also be hilarious  if Adams also gets tagged by Seattle. 

If Adams doesn't get a new deal this year, Maye will be making more than him. If they both get tagged next year, Maye will be making more again. Someone in Seattle has to realize that trade sucked for them. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Larz said:

They really can’t just lock him up long term?

He some kind of greedy bum or is JD cheap?

They can still work on a contract when he is tagged no?

Link to post
Share on other sites

JD should be focusing on building a team for 2022-2023. 

Franchising Maye does nothing to accomplish that unless it is a threat to get him to agree to a reasonable longer term deal.   Maye should have been extended in 2020, which would have required paying him more in 2020 (we had the money) but less later.  

I thought drafting Ashtyn Davis was also a way to build through the draft and not pay decent but not All Pro players $10mm+ to extend them.  

Maye will get hurt playing more of a SS role, particularly after he gets money in the bank. 

As I have said before, I like JD, and his expanded staff gives me hope, but his actual 2020 draft picks and signings were very iffy.

The Becton/Wirfs choice was also not a slamdunk.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD should be focusing on building a team for 2022-2023. 

Franchising Maye does nothing to accomplish that unless it is a threat to get him to agree to a reasonable longer term deal.   Maye should have been extended in 2020, which would have required paying him more in 2020 (we had the money) but less later.  

I thought drafting Ashtyn Davis was also a way to build through the draft and not pay decent but not All Pro players $10mm+ to extend them.  

Maye will get hurt playing more of a SS role, particularly after he gets money in the bank. 

As I have said before, I like JD, and his expanded staff gives me hope, but his actual 2020 draft picks and signings were very iffy.

The Becton/Wirfs choice was also not a slamdunk.  

JD should be focusing on building a team for 2021 and beyond.  

Franchising Maye accomplishes this goal.  JD threw away 2020, and you want him to throw away 2021 as well, so he can focus on 2022 and beyond?  

Sorry, I don't agree. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alka said:

JD should be focusing on building a team for 2021 and beyond.  

Franchising Maye accomplishes this goal.  JD threw away 2020, and you want him to throw away 2021 as well, so he can focus on 2022 and beyond?  

Sorry, I don't agree. 

Do you use $10mm of cap space we could use for a player signed for multiple years or carried over next year to keep a FS on the roster when we just drafted one?  

I guess if we get Watson, you take one year at a time and build the best team we can for next year.  

If we are drafting a QB, don't know whether you spend $10mm for a safety who can leave in 2022. 

But it sounds like I am not only outvoted, but it also appears that the FT for Maye is JD's plan.  

JD does seem to try and do the right thing with players.   I think this is an example of why players are going to succeed with getting rid of the franchise tag.   When you invest 5 years into a QB developing him, to have him leave for a sunnier place or crazy money, then you use it.  But for a 28 year-old safety on a team that has the worst overall roster in the league, this seems wrong to me.

GIve him 3 x $10mm, $20 guaranteed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, varjet said:

Do you use $10mm of cap space we could use for a player signed for multiple years or carried over next year to keep a FS on the roster when we just drafted one?  

I guess if we get Watson, you take one year at a time and build the best team we can for next year.  

If we are drafting a QB, don't know whether you spend $10mm for a safety who can leave in 2022. 

But it sounds like I am not only outvoted, but it also appears that the FT for Maye is JD's plan.  

JD does seem to try and do the right thing with players.   I think this is an example of why players are going to succeed with getting rid of the franchise tag.   When you invest 5 years into a QB developing him, to have him leave for a sunnier place or crazy money, then you use it.  But for a 28 year-old safety on a team that has the worst overall roster in the league, this seems wrong to me.

GIve him 3 x $10mm, $20 guaranteed.  

I would have no problem with giving him 3 years at 10MM per for 30M guaranteed.  That means that he is a Jet through his 31st birthday, and still in his prime.  I like your thinking.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alka said:

Sorry to have to correct you.  Jamal Adams is 0-1 in the Playoffs.  Marcus Maye is 0-0 in the playoffs.

lol

Details, details! Neither one of them has won a playoff game, but I guess 0-1 makes Jamalmouth first place loser.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 9:59 AM, Beerfish said:

2020

Jamal: 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 interceptions, 83 combined tackles

Maye: 11 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, 88 combined tackles

But jamalaboutme had more sacks when not blocked, poaching at the line of scrimmage, play maker!

Ok but Adams had 9.5 sacks in 12 games. Maye had 2 sacks in 16 games. So that's a big difference. Lets just keep things in perspective. They are different types of players who literally play different positions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, varjet said:

JD should be focusing on building a team for 2022-2023. 

Franchising Maye does nothing to accomplish that unless it is a threat to get him to agree to a reasonable longer term deal.   Maye should have been extended in 2020, which would have required paying him more in 2020 (we had the money) but less later.  

I thought drafting Ashtyn Davis was also a way to build through the draft and not pay decent but not All Pro players $10mm+ to extend them.  

Maye will get hurt playing more of a SS role, particularly after he gets money in the bank. 

As I have said before, I like JD, and his expanded staff gives me hope, but his actual 2020 draft picks and signings were very iffy.

The Becton/Wirfs choice was also not a slamdunk.  

If you were drafting a LT it sure was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ok but Adams had 9.5 sacks in 12 games. Maye had 2 sacks in 16 games. So that's a big difference. Lets just keep things in perspective. They are different types of players who literally play different positions. 

They are both safeties and you do not have to totally compromise your defense to use marcus maye ... and he creates turnovers.

As I said, watch his sacks, he is unblocked on most of them.  He is also terrible in coverage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm all for ripping on Jamal but that is 12 games from Jamal and 16 games from Maye

Surely Jamal would have gotten 2 INTs, 1 FF and 8 PDs in 4 games to make up the difference.  😅

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ok but Adams had 9.5 sacks in 12 games. Maye had 2 sacks in 16 games. So that's a big difference. Lets just keep things in perspective. They are different types of players who literally play different positions. 

Adams' 9.5 sacks came on 98 blitz attempts.  And when he failed to get to the QB, it exposed the rest of the secondary.

Maye's 2 sacks, meanwhile, came on 23 blitz attempts.  So on a % basis, his sack productivity was nearly proportional to Adams'.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Surely Jamal would have gotten 2 INTs, 1 FF and 8 PDs in 4 games to make up the difference.  😅

Well apparently it's now some sort of great defense of a player if he doesn't play, even if over multiple years and the teams still perform as well, if not better, in his absence.

But hey, credit where it's due, it's a pretty unique bonding experience with an NFL player when the one thing most fans can always feel we have in common with Jamal is our total number of career INTs of starting QBs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...