WFT to release Alex Smith

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Most of the stats ypu just posted are nearly identical except  Flacco took a sack that was nearly 30 yards deep one game. Darnold ran for a TD that was over 50 yards I think, Darnold won 2 games, Flacco lost every game he played. 

LOL

They are not even close to identical.  Flacco leads Darnold in almost every catagory.

If your going to cherry pick a bad play by Flacco to prove Darnold is better, How about Sam sacking himself.  LOL  Better then the "Butt Fumble" IMO   Not only is Darnold "seeing ghost's"  He gets sacked by ghost's 

They both sucked, Darnold sucked worst by far.

BB19DLCl.img?h=0&w=600&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t Urban Meyer coach Smith at Utah? Seems a natural fit down there, mentoring Lawrence.

It's been a talking point on local Jax radio for a while.  I think this has high high potential as Smith is also great to be around as a culture builder. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think Alex Smith to a win now team like the Bears makes more sense for him. He’s probably going to want to start for a winning team and they are not in position to guarantee a top qb prospect. 

Here, he’d have to worry about a potential qb prospect taking over for him midseason. 

You think he wants to start?  wow.  So crazy but I guess why not?   He already put himself out there.  I kind of just penciled him as back up.  lol

• Upvote 2

Just now, flgreen said:

LOL

They are not even close to identical.  Flacco leads Darnold in almost every catagory.

If your going to cherry pick a bad play by Flacco to prove Darnold is better, How about Sam sacking himself.  LOL  Better then the "Butt Fumble" IMO 

You can't  win games with Flacco. With Sam you have a chance, and if you think there is some great difference between that makes Flacco a clearly better QB, I think you need to get your eyes examined. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean what do you want out of your backup QB/mentor? I’m not advocating him to be the starter. You want Flacco back?

You need somebody that when required to play can be effective, he can't move.  The WFT benched him in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’d fully endorse him as a Jet, if he is part of a comprehensive plan to upgrade the position - or insurance against Sam this year.

Not a chance in hell should he be brought in to play QB. Maybe to coach QB's, but not to play.

If Alex Smith goes to Chicago, that’s another team out on Darnold. We’re pretty much left with Washington and Carolina.

Why do I have the sense that Carolina has 2 contingency deals lined up with us, and will take until draft day to happen.

1. If we take a QB at 2, then we trade Sam to Carolina

2. If no other team offers us more than what Carolina is offering for the 2nd pick, then we trade down with Carolina.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

You think he wants to start?  wow.  So crazy but I guess why not?   He already put himself out there.  I kind of just penciled him as back up.  lol

I just find it hard to believe someone puts himself through the rehab he had to go through just to sign up willingly to a back-up role. But that's just shot-in-the-dark logic, I haven't read anything that says that's what he wants. Plus I think Nagy coached him with KC and as we've all heard the coach and front office are on the hot seat. I can't imagine they want to roll with a rookie given that in a trade up scenario.

29 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

not really. darnold won 2 games. flacco didnt win sh*t

Darnold happened to be on the winning team.   Saying Darnold won against the Browns is kind of silly.. 16-32  175 yards 36.6 QBR.

Yes he was on the team

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

I'd rather Flacco then Darnold.  He was better then Darnold in his 4 starts last year 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Darnold 9 TD's 11 picks  Flacco 6 TD's 3 picks.  Darnold TD % 2.5  Flacco 4.5.   Darnold int % 3.0 Flacco 2.0     Darnold yards gained per completion  10.2  Flacco 11.7   Darnold Rate 72.7 Flacco 80.6  Darnold  QBR 40.1  Flacco 58.0  Darnold sack % 8.8  Flacco 5.0

Flacco was better then Darnold in almost every metric.   Darnold was the worst QB in the league, that includes Flacco who played on the same bad team.  

Flacco 0 and 4 starting.  Darnold 2 and 10 as a starter.  Statistically Flacco would have to start the next billion games for the Jets and he still wouldn't catch Darnold in wins as a Jets QB.  

* Sample size matters in statistical comparisons 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Flacco 0 and 4 starting.  Darnold 2 and 10 as a starter.  Statistically Flacco would have to start the next billion games for the Jets and he still wouldn't catch Darnold.  

This is like Deshaun Watson 4-win logic.

It's a team game when Darnold is the QB.  It's all about the QB W-L record when its anybody else.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is like Deshaun Watson 4-win logic.

It's a team game when Darnold is the QB.  It's all about the QB W-L record when its anybody else.  

I disagree with you.  It's all about W-L when it's Joe Flacco being compared to Darnold on last years Jets.  The best argument for Darnold not sucking is that Joe Flacco who sucked on the Jets and Denver didn't suck when he was in his prime and had a good team around him.  Not an argument I would make but it's better than Joe Flacco was better than Darnold last year.

Joe Flacco, Sam Darnold and the Jets sucked last year.  

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You can't  win games with Flacco. With Sam you have a chance, and if you think there is some great difference between that makes Flacco a clearly better QB, I think you need to get your eyes examined. 

Clearly you can't read stats.  

Darnold is considered the worst QB  in the NFL, by  everyone who rates QB's, that includes Flacco who played on the same crappy team.  Flacco's stats suck, but are much better then Darnold's.  I don't know what eye optic changes that. The "Ghost Sack"?

This whole debate reminds me of Geno with some Jets fans thinking he was going to break out any second.  

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Most of the stats ypu just posted are nearly identical except  Flacco took a sack that was nearly 30 yards deep one game. Darnold ran for a TD that was over 50 yards I think, Darnold won 2 games, Flacco lost every game he played. 

People are still missing the forest through the trees. 

The fact that we even have to debate the performances of washed up Flacco vs. 3rd year Sam Darnold is, in and of itself, an indication of how bad Sam was this past year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I disagree with you.  It's all about W-L when it's Joe Flacco being compared to Darnold on last years Jets.  The best argument for Darnold not sucking is that Joe Flacco who sucked on the Jets and Denver didn't suck when he was in his prime and had a good team around him.  Not an argument I would make but it's better than Joe Flacco was better than Darnold last year.

Joe Flacco, Sam Darnold and the Jets sucked last year.  

Given 12 starts, Flacco would have won more than Darnold's 2 games.  Why can I argue that?  Because he statistically performed better than Sam Darnold.  

Better QB's perform better.  Wins are a function of team performance and matchups.  Flacco performed about as well against Miami as Darnold did, and far better against New England than Darnold did, so when you isolate for that kind of variable, Flacco came out on top.  

29 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I just find it hard to believe someone puts himself through the rehab he had to go through just to sign up willingly to a back-up role. But that's just shot-in-the-dark logic, I haven't read anything that says that's what he wants. Plus I think Nagy coached him with KC and as we've all heard the coach and front office are on the hot seat. I can't imagine they want to roll with a rookie given that in a trade up scenario.

You find it hard to believe a guy in his thirties went through rehab after a leg injury unless he intends to be a starter on an NFL team?

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Given 12 starts, Flacco would have won more than Darnold's 2 games.  Why can I argue that?  Because he statistically performed better than Sam Darnold.  

Better QB's perform better.  Wins are a function of team performance and matchups.  Flacco performed about as well against Miami as Darnold did, and far better against New England than Darnold did, so when you isolate for that kind of variable, Flacco came out on top.  

You can argue anything but using stats based on 4 starts to prove a theory based on a huge number of other factors seems really thin at best.  

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You can argue anything but using stats based on 4 starts to prove a theory based on a huge number of other factors seems really thin at best.  

Considering that people love to air a laundry list of excuses about the Jets being a horrible place to QB, comparing him to a QB teammate is very relevant to remove a lot of those other variables.  The fact that I can even make a legit case that Flacco's carcass was better last season is sad and pathetic.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Considering that people love to air a laundry list of excuses about the Jets being a horrible place to QB, comparing him to a QB teammate is very relevant to remove a lot of those other variables.  The fact that I can even make a legit case that Flacco's carcass was better last season is sad and pathetic.  

You haven't made a legit case.  That's the point.  You're assuming Flacco over 12 games would preform at the same level as he did when he was fresh and hadn't been hit.  Teams didn't have tape on him, etc., etc., etc.  

NFL Football is a game of tape and attrition.  Flacco had the advantage of teams not having tape of him as a Jets QB and not having the attrition of a starting QB playing over the course of a season.

I'm not defending Darnold.  I would trade him before the draft.  I would also cut Flacco. 

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Given 12 starts, Flacco would have won more than Darnold's 2 games. 

Well, let' see.  Flacco had a 0.0000 W-L percentage.

Darnold had a 0.16666666 W-L percentage.

So it appears that Darnold would win more games no matter what.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You haven't made a legit case.  That's the point.  You're assuming Flacco over 12 games would preform at the same level as he did when he was fresh and hadn't been hit.  Teams didn't have tape on him, etc., etc., etc.  

NFL Football is a game of tape and attrition.  Flacco had the advantage of teams not having tape of him as a Jets QB and not having the attrition of a starting QB playing over the course of a season.

I'm not defending Darnold.  I would trade him before the draft.  I would also cut Flacco. 

I'm assuming Flacco would perform better because his stats were better.  Crazy assumption, I know!

37 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Flacco 0 and 4 starting.  Darnold 2 and 10 as a starter.  Statistically Flacco would have to start the next billion games for the Jets and he still wouldn't catch Darnold in wins as a Jets QB.  

LOL, I'm no math fan but I always love the way the number zero throws a monkey wrench in statistical comparisons. ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

their calculation could be that Darnold is a better prospect than Mac Jones, who is the only QB left on the board at 19.

We don't know that.

Other QB's are also available on the market that are better than Darnold.

It's not even a sure thing that Darnold is better than likely 3rd rounder Trask from Florida.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

If your going to cherry pick a bad play by Flacco to prove Darnold is better, How about Sam sacking himself.  LOL  Better then the "Butt Fumble" IMO   Not only is Darnold "seeing ghost's"  He gets sacked by ghost's 

Flacco didn't try - he had no interest in winning.  He didn't want to be out there.  Darnold was trying to win and pushed hard, certainly made more mistakes because of it.  

Yards per game is a telling stat that you neatly left out.  202 for Darnold, 177 for Flacco.  

Darnold wasn't good, but neither was Flacco - it's revisionist history to say otherwise.  The Jets were awful EVERYWHERE last year, including back-up QB.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Clearly you can't read stats.  

Darnold is considered the worst QB  in the NFL, by  everyone who rates QB's, that includes Flacco who played on the same crappy team.  Flacco's stats suck, but are much better then Darnold's.  I don't know what eye optic changes that. The "Ghost Sack"?

This whole debate reminds me of Geno with some Jets fans thinking he was going to break out any second.  

Some people like Alex Smith his first 3 years he was 11-19 with 19 td's and 31 picks. And he was the 1st pick in the 2005 draft.. Norv Turner was his OC