John McClain from Houston Chronicle on NFL Radio on Serius Radio 88 at 11 AM

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Id rather hear what Hans Gruber has to say.

Mclain: Expects he will be traded. Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plu

If Joe Douglas would even consider this, then Joe Douglas should not be the GM of the NY Jets.   Keep drafting QB's until you find one; don't ruin your franchise moving forward because some Jack*

Posted Images

All it is is going to be more speculation from him. 

while it’s interesting when he specifically mentions the Jets, I still don’t believe he’s as much in the know about what they’d re going to do as much as anyone else. 

he’ll be asked the same question that he’s been asked over and over again. 

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Expects he will be traded.

Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plus Darnold who can start while you groom your QB.  (He said this, not me.  I like Watson, but not for 6 picks and Sam)

If they believe Tus is franchise QB, they can deal with Phins for Tua, two 1s, two 2s and Tua plus another high 2022 pick.  Does not see it being anyone but Jets or Dolphins; and if they don't like Tua, they shoud work with Jets exclusively because of value of #2.

Did not mention Carolina or anyone else as likely destination.  Just Jets or Phins. 

Interesting no mention of QW.  

• Upvote 4
13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

McClane is and has been been for a long time, the most plugged in media person, local or national, to the Houston Texans.

This interview might not offer anything new, but to dismiss anything he says about the situation is silly.

I’m not dismissing his credentials by any means but it still all feels like speculation, and nothing that he knows for certain. 

I just feel like you, me, and a lot of people are cherry-picking him out because he’s the one saying the most favorable ideas of him coming here. 

ive been trying to put this all in check until we get some other cold hard truth details. Until then it’s all speculation.  

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Expects he will be traded.

Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plus Darnold who can start while you groom your QB.  (He said this, not me.  I like Watson, but not for 6 picks and Sam)

If they believe Tua is franchise QB, they can deal with Phins for Tua, two 1s, two 2s and another high 2022 pick.  Does not see it being anyone but Jets or Dolphins; and if they don't like Tua, they shoud work with Jets exclusively because of value of #2.

Did not mention Carolina or anyone else as likely destination.  Just Jets or Phins. 

Lol, the years of Idzik and Macagnan bidding against themselves are over.  

HOU needs to create an auction environment to drive up the price, but nobody else has the draft capital over the next 2 years that the Jets have.   4 1st rd picks + 2 2nd rd picks  - which offer do the Jets need to beat to come up with that?    so, so, silly...  

• Upvote 3

He's plugged in for sure, but this is clearly just a veiled trade offer from the Texans.

"Hey, we won't deal him, but if you want, this could work" and slowly decrease until one team says "Ok, we'll bite". I don't even think it's the Jets/Phins they are targeting, I think it's one of the other teams to go "Oh man, we don't have 2/3, better offer up more first Rd picks". I don't think they want a QB this year because it's a complete rebuild. There's no reason to waste years of a premium QB prospect on rookie salary when an MVP type year from Watson led you nowhere. That team isn't going anywhere for 2 years, they would most likely want picks over the next 3 years.

I think it's a ploy to mention the Jets/Phins specifically, and ask various high value picks/players. It seems like a ploy to get a team like Carolina to panic.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Lol, the years of Idzik and Macagnan bidding against themselves are over.  

HOU needs to create an auction environment to drive up the price, but nobody else has the draft capital over the next 2 years that the Jets have.   4 1st rd picks + 2 2nd rd picks  - which offer do the Jets need to beat to come up with that?    so, so, silly...  

I agree.  That is why I find it curious that he suggested that if they don't like Tua, the Tesans work exclusively with the Jets. If it gets out that they really want the #2 pick, then the bargaining power shifts to us.  In which case four 1s, two 2s and Sam is laughable.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

What do they think of Tua? - if they love Tua that is crushing to the Jets hopes but seriously at this point what is to love about Tua?  I think Houston wants that #2 overall pick, they want Zach Wilson (or Fields) to start over and they don't want to trade for their own pick back from the Dolphins. 

I feel like this is the bulk of why the Jets are in pole position, because any trade involving Miami and Houston would require both teams to eat some sh*t to make it work, and it really comes down to whether Houston wants Tua or Zack Wilson, and I can’t see how they sell Tua to the Houston fanbase after he’s been exposed so badly and so quickly in the league. Honestly, I don’t see how either Tua or Darnold make sense as trade chips for Houston if saving face is a consideration. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like this is the bulk of why the Jets are in pole position, because any trade involving Miami and Houston would require both teams to eat some sh*t to make it work, and it really comes down to whether Houston wants Tua or Zack Wilson, and I can’t see how they sell Tua to the Houston fanbase after he’s been exposed so badly and so quickly in the league. Honestly, I don’t see how either Tua or Darnold make sense as trade chips for Houston if saving face is a consideration. 

Well they have 59 days to make up their minds otherwise all the draft capital will be used in the draft one way or the other..

• Upvote 3
16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  That is why I find it curious that he suggested that if they don't like Tua, the Tesans work exclusively with the Jets. If it gets out that they really want the #2 pick, then the bargaining power shifts to us.  In which case four 1s, two 2s and Sam is laughable.

The leverage is letting him sit out the year.

As I've heard stated around here forever, he's so young.  They can have him sit a year and get their value next year.  They're in no rush to move him.

If they really want and think they can 4 1's and 3 2's (Darnold is a 2 value right now)

They're not taking 2 1's and a 2.  

This has been reported a lot, if they didn't think they could get that they wouldn't have it out there - If there fan base is expecting a haul like that - they can't accept half of it.

Just now, Savage69 said:

Well they have 59 days to make up their minds otherwise all the draft capital will be used in the draft one way or the other..

It seems like they want to get this done quick, though. Two weeks ago, McClain was saying there was no chance Watson is leaving, and now he’s saying it’s either Miami or the Jets. The other Texans beat reporter is saying similar stuff; that a Watson trade is inevitable. Maybe Easterby is tired of getting dunked on by the rest of the universe.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

One Dark Horse nobody has ever mentioned just occurred to me.  HOU either needs a top-3 pick or a legitimate QB to bring in to replace Watson.  Tua and Sam aren't the latter.  But what if Derek Carr was.  He's actually been pretty successful in the league but for whatever reason, he seems to carry the blame for all of LV's problems.  

So, serious question. If you're the Texans, and you're trying to save face, would Derek Carr, this year's #1 and #2, and next year's #1 from LV look better than any package the Jets or Fins could give?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One Dark Horse nobody has ever mentioned just occurred to me.  HOU either needs a top-3 pick or a legitimate QB to bring in to replace Watson.  Tua and Sam aren't the latter.  But what if Derek Carr was.  He's actually been pretty successful in the league but for whatever reason, he seems to carry the blame for all of LV's problems.  

So, serious question. If you're the Texans, and you're trying to save face, would Derek Carr, this year's #1 and #2, and next year's #1 from LV look better than any package the Jets or Fins could give?

Interesting. Can you imagine Derek Carr returning to the scene of his brother's career murder? I think any team not named the jets and maybe dolphins would have to include at least 3 number 1s (the equivalent of #2 overall)

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think that's a good point.

I doubt Darnold or Tua are moving the needle for anyone, but I could be wrong.

I'm assuming the Texans are scouting the quarterbacks in this draft and we're hoping they really like anyone not named Trevor Lawrence. 

But if they're not enamored with any of those prospects, I think the LV trade makes a lot more sense. 

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't think so.  I think Carr is seen having limitations and is more of a game manager.  Houston would be taking a medium ceiling QB on in Carr which would be a major downgrade from Watson.  Whereas a rookie with unlimited upside is the shot in the arm the fans and FO want back to justify this to themselves.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, KRL said:

All these writers are thirsty because there's no Combine this year and that's where
they get tons of rumors.  Until free agency starts (March 17) they're going to 
repeat these tired stories  

I think you're selling Mclain short as he IS the Texan's assigned leaker

• Upvote 2
38 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Let's have Cimini counter him. Put him on the radio and say "Jets would never deal 6 picks but if they can do 3 1's and Sam, I find it hard to believe that wouldn't get it done".

Still too much. This team needs a lot.

Both 1’s this year and Sam. They’re the desperate ones- the Jets can still get a lot for the #2 overall. I expect JD to give up no more than that or walk away. 

here is my question...do the texans want a QB in the draft this year? if the answer is yes...then u sit and let them negotiate with themselfs. The jets have the ultimate trump card...which is being in position to take the second best QB in the draft....and in position to trade that pick to another team to take that QB perhaps. If the answer is no, and they want a full rebuild...then by all means 2 is as good as 3....and the jets should by no means try and outbid the dolphins.

what i am saying is that the dolphins seem to be a QB away, so makes sense to sell the farm...for us...we get watson by outbidding miami and have no picks for next 2 years...we are just as sh*tty.

then there is carolina or SF...only way those guys are in play is if the jets and dolphins are just not willing to pay the price at all. which by the way is possible....JD comes from the school of building through the draft and not spending huge draft capital on splash moves.

7 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Still too much. This team needs a lot.

Both 1’s this year and Sam. They’re the desperate ones- the Jets can still get a lot for the #2 overall. I expect JD to give up no more than that or walk away. 

The Jet FO and JD haven't said anything that I recall about getting Watson or even being interested have they??

21 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Interesting. Can you imagine Derek Carr returning to the scene of his brother's career murder? I think any team not named the jets and maybe dolphins would have to include at least 3 number 1s (the equivalent of #2 overall)

That is a valid concern LOL.

Not sure if DC has a no-trade clause but that would be almost hilarious if it wasn't so sad.  

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I don't think so.  I think Carr is seen having limitations and is more of a game manager.  Houston would be taking a medium ceiling QB on in Carr which would be a major downgrade from Watson.  Whereas a rookie with unlimited upside is the shot in the arm the fans and FO want back to justify this to themselves.

Not disagreeing but I think there is a wide spread of opinion on what Carr is.  His stats are good and in some ways, he feels like a slightly less successful Kirk Cousins.  You are right in the sense that he can't carry a team and the Texans aren't "a QB away" by any stretch, but getting him means they can spend the picks on other players to fill out the roster.  Not sure if they can afford him anyway though.  Just trying to see where HOU could turn to other than the Jets and Dolphins.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1