Jump to content

John McClain from Houston Chronicle on NFL Radio on Serius Radio 88 at 11 AM


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Id rather hear what Hans Gruber has to say.

Mclain: Expects he will be traded. Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plu

If Joe Douglas would even consider this, then Joe Douglas should not be the GM of the NY Jets.   Keep drafting QB's until you find one; don't ruin your franchise moving forward because some Jack*

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Take it for what it is but Craig Carton is saying it’s over for the Jets regarding the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes. He says the Arizona Cardinals will make a big push for Watson for a couple of reasons. One is he would be reunited with Hopkins and Watt, and Arizona can offer the Texans an up and coming QB in Kyler Murray.

i cant see the cardinals doing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Take it for what it is but Craig Carton is saying it’s over for the Jets regarding the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes. He says the Arizona Cardinals will make a big push for Watson for a couple of reasons. One is he would be reunited with Hopkins and Watt, and Arizona can offer the Texans an up and coming QB in Kyler Murray.

lol no

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

nothing about the current arrangement makes me think that Woody would make JD do anything he is opposed to doing. In fact JD strikes me like the type of dude that would get up and leave if he were to do that. 

JD's not going to walk away from $12mm just because the billionaire owner of the team, for which he is employed, tells him to make a trade.

And you really think said Billionaire is really going to give a sh*t if Joe Douglas walks away - if he refuses to do what he wants?  If Woody wants him, Woody is going to get him.  

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that this type of move if right up Woody's alley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD's not going to walk away from $12mm just because the billionaire owner of the team, for which he is employed, tells him to make a trade.

And you really think said Billionaire is really going to give a sh*t if Joe Douglas walks away - if he refuses to do what he wants?  If Woody wants him, Woody is going to get him.  

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that this type of move if right up Woody's alley.

I have worked directly with several CEO's in my career, and in none of those cases did i do "what i was told". We collaboratively made decisions that were good for our business by going through whatever process was in place (a process that everyone respected). That is how functional work environments operate. Anything else i'd be out.

BTW i am no lawyer, but i am sure JD has protections written into this contract for things like this.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Murray for Watson straight up is out of left field.  Who thinks up this stuff?  😀

 

its not crazy....but murray is very cheap for another 2 years....the cardinals would effectively be expediting their "window" because they feel like they can win now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

its not crazy....but murray is very cheap for another 2 years....the texans would effectively be expediting their "window" because they feel like they can win now.

It's crazy for Arizona.  Houston should take this immediately.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy is the Texans mouth piece. When they wanted them to say he wasn’t getting traded, that’s what he said. When they wanted him to say Q had to be in the deal, that’s what he said. Now he’s not even mentioning Q bc it’s a nonstarter  

The anti Watson people think that whatever McClain says is what the Texans are going to get and at the same time think that’s way too much. Its just one side of the negotiations he’s already backed off his original suggestion. He’s also acknowledged the value the Jets hold with the 2nd overall pick. 

If the Texans get what McClain is now suggesting, it means that the guy that got more than 2 1st round picks for a disgruntled safety added no value to the negotiations. When the trade happens to whatever team ends up w Watson, I’ll be really surprised if it’s much more than #2, #34, ‘22 1st and ‘23 1st, which would still give the Jets the draft assets and cap space to build a team around Watson. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD's not going to walk away from $12mm just because the billionaire owner of the team, for which he is employed, tells him to make a trade.

And you really think said Billionaire is really going to give a sh*t if Joe Douglas walks away - if he refuses to do what he wants?  If Woody wants him, Woody is going to get him.  

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that this type of move if right up Woody's alley.

Exactly the reason why we got that sh*tbag Revis back.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I have worked directly with several CEO's in my career, and in none of those cases did i do "what i was told". We collaboratively made decisions that were good for our business by going through whatever process was in place (a process that everyone respected). That is how functional work environments operate. Anything else i'd be out.

BTW i am no lawyer, but i am sure JD has protections written into this contract for things like this.

You are a lucky man.  I have worked with plenty of CEO's, the current one I work for is a piece of work -  but he pays me, so I do my job.  -  He listens to my ideas - and then ultimately does what he wants.  That's how it's always worked for me.  But truthfully good for you - that you have a boss that does what you tell him.  I love that.  

If this were still CJ I would agree - he seems like the type of CEO's you've worked for.  

Woody seems more like the types I've worked for.  No owner would put a contract that gives up all is power - I highly doubt JD's contract says he has 100% of all roster decisions.  

That would be insanely stupid on the Johnsons' part.   

If Woody wants a players he's going to get the player - history clearly shows that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Lol, the years of Idzik and Macagnan bidding against themselves are over.  

 HOU needs to create an auction environment to drive up the price, but nobody else has the draft capital over the next 2 years that the Jets have.   4 1st rd picks + 2 2nd rd picks  - which offer do the Jets need to beat to come up with that?    so, so, silly...  

the Dolphins. If they value Tua, then they are right there

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alka said:

As the Jets GM, I would counter with offering the Texans our second pick of the draft this year, Darnold, and our second round pick for next year.

If they can get a better deal somewhere else, then I would want to hear it and consider if I wanted to up my offer or not.

If Carolina offered their #1 pick this year, their #1 pick next year, plus their 2nd round picks this and next year, I still believe my offer would be considered better than theirs.

So... you want to offer them less for Deshaun Watson than was given up to accept the leftover QB at #3 in 2018? That one we offered #6 and two current 2nd rounders and a third future 2nd rounder. This would be less.  You can argue about chart points but that stuff goes out the window to a large degree when it's a trade involving a QB (or a pick for a QB). 

We're in a good negotiating position. We're not in that good of a position. 

Houston has two goals: 1 = make the team better; 2 = not put themselves into an even worse PR position than they're in today.  A high 1st round pick, which isn't enough to get the draft's nearly-unanimous top-rated QB, and a failed former #3 pick who allegedly has the value of a 2nd round pick (unknown slot in round 2), plus another future 2nd rounder (also unknown slot). 

I wouldn't bother making the offer. May as well just offer a late 1st this year and next year if the goal is to get out an offer that'll be turned down outright, and isn't close enough to springboard into meaningful counter-offers. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, genot said:

They could let Watson sit the year, finish 0-16, then trade down, trade Watson and rebuild the entire team. That's what i'd do.

Plus they get to sell it to the fan base that they didn't want to trade him at any price, and did everything they could to mend the relationship. Worse PR for them to take a lowball offer that's less than teams get just for trading down in round 1 for an unproven QB prospect. 

They're going to suck in 2021 anyway. Why take the double PR hit, too?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lith said:

He did not mention QW at all.  Although if Houston's starting point is Sam, four 1s and two 2s, there is likely to be a lot of negotiations where a lot of names come up until a deal would be reached. 

I can't see us agreeing to a deal that puts is into the next two drafts with no picks until R3.

Yeah, that's silly and there's no way JD pays that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Except next year they're worth just as much.  Just because people say it doesn't make it true.

And every minute Watson sits out he loses Millions.  I believe the Texans have a price and they are prepared to let Watson sit if they don't get it.

What that price is I don't know - but it's almost def. more than 2 1's and a 2.  Jets got 2 1's and a 3 for Jamal Adams.  

 

 

True but the Seattle picks are mid to late rd number 1 s

you could trade number 2 overall for more than that by itself

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plus they get to sell it to the fan base that they didn't want to trade him at any price, and did everything they could to mend the relationship. Worse PR for them to take a lowball offer that's less than teams get just for trading down in round 1 for an unproven QB prospect. 

They're going to suck in 2021 anyway. Why take the double PR hit, too?

Absolutely. They we're 4-12 with Watson having a good year. No 1st rd pick this year. They need a boatload of players. More than us.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Expects he will be traded.

Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plus Darnold who can start while you groom your QB.  (He said this, not me.  I like Watson, but not for 6 picks and Sam)

If they believe Tua is franchise QB, they can deal with Phins for Tua, two 1s, two 2s and another high 2022 pick.  Does not see it being anyone but Jets or Dolphins; and if they don't like Tua, they shoud work with Jets exclusively because of value of #2.

Did not mention Carolina or anyone else as likely destination.  Just Jets or Phins. 

Soo... four 1st round and two 2nd round picks? Is that all? I'm sure JD will be jumping on that right away 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dcJet said:

Murray for Watson straight up is out of left field.  Who thinks up this stuff?  😀

 

People who go to federal prison for fraud.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So... offer them less for Deshaun Watson than was given up to accept the leftover QB at #3 in 2018. That one we offered #6 and two current 2nd rounders and a third future 2nd rounder. This would be less.  You can argue about chart points but that stuff goes out the window to a large degree when it's a trade involving a QB (or a pick for a QB). 

We're in a good negotiating position. We're not in that good of a position. 

Houston has two goals: 1 = make the team better; 2 = not put themselves into an even worse PR position than they're in today.  A high 1st round pick, which isn't enough to get the draft's nearly-unanimous top-rated QB, and a failed former #3 pick who allegedly has the value of a 2nd round pick (unknown slot in round 2), plus another future 2nd rounder (also unknown slot). 

I wouldn't bother making the offer. May as well just offer a late 1st this year and next year if the goal is to get out an offer that'll be turned down outright, and isn't close enough to springboard into meaningful counter-offers. 

I'm assuming that Houston would take Wilson with the second pick, and have Darnold as either fodder for a trade with another team, or as Darnold fighting it out with Wilson in camp.

I would negotiate next years 2nd round pick up to next years 1st round pick, but if Houston wants 4 #1's, which include our #2 pick of the draft, plus 2 second round picks for this year and next, then that Is where I start on my end.  If they don't want to negotiate from there, let him suck an egg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alka said:

I'm assuming that Houston would take Wilson with the second pick, and have Darnold as either fodder for a trade with another team, or as Darnold fighting it out with Wilson in camp.

I would negotiate next years 2nd round pick up to next years 1st round pick, but if Houston wants 4 #1's, which include our #2 pick of the draft, plus 2 second round picks for this year and next, then that Is where I start on my end.  If they don't want to negotiate from there, let him suck an egg.

I’m saying there’s no point in making that offer, plus there is a big downside. Now you’ve offered up Darnold - which will leak out - in a package that has no chance of being accepted. Then after they turn it down, you’ve got a QB who knows he’s not wanted, and a class of free agents that don’t know what’s going on with the Jets’ QB situation when we’re supposed to try to sign some of them.

Better off making no offer than something like that. It’s in effect a 1st + a 2nd + a 3rd for Deshaun Watson. May as well ask tell them they also have to throw in one of Bob McNair’s kidneys. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Expects he will be traded.

Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plus Darnold who can start while you groom your QB.  (He said this, not me.  I like Watson, but not for 6 picks and Sam)

If they believe Tua is franchise QB, they can deal with Phins for Tua, two 1s, two 2s and another high 2022 pick.  Does not see it being anyone but Jets or Dolphins; and if they don't like Tua, they shoud work with Jets exclusively because of value of #2.

Did not mention Carolina or anyone else as likely destination.  Just Jets or Phins. 

There is no way I would trade that much. That is insane. I think McClain is on the payroll for the team.

0% chance the Jets give up that much.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The leverage is letting him sit out the year.

As I've heard stated around here forever, he's so young.  They can have him sit a year and get their value next year.  They're in no rush to move him.

If they really want and think they can 4 1's and 3 2's (Darnold is a 2 value right now)

They're not taking 2 1's and a 2.  

This has been reported a lot, if they didn't think they could get that they wouldn't have it out there - If there fan base is expecting a haul like that - they can't accept half of it.

If a trade doesn't get done by the draft it will be interesting to see how it's handled. Do the Jets opt to trade down and roll with Sam? If you can land a 3rd first rounder in 2022 then you can see what Sam has while still being in the best position to land Watson if he becomes available at the trade deadline or after the season while adding a ton of talent in FA and the draft this year.

This is assuming they don't fall in love with Wilson/Fields

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

If a trade doesn't get done by the draft it will be interesting to see how it's handled. Do the Jets opt to trade down and roll with Sam? If you can land a 3rd first rounder in 2022 then you can see what Sam has while still being in the best position to land Watson if he becomes available at the trade deadline or after the season while adding a ton of talent in FA and the draft this year.

This is assuming they don't fall in love with Wilson/Fields

Even though I don’t want the Jets to give Darnold another season, it would be the smart thing to do. You get to see if Sam takes the next step with an improved roster while being in even a stronger position to land Watson in any possible trade. The one backfire is if Wilson and Fields end up being the real deal.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s not going to Miami. Imagine the Texans trading their superstar QB to the Miami Dolphins for a generic Chad Pennington and THEIR first round pick. 
 

He’s coming here. We have the #2 pick. They get to pick between Wilson, Fields, or even trade back and accumulate as much picks as possible. 
 

Raiders scare me tho. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, nycdan said:

One Dark Horse nobody has ever mentioned just occurred to me.  HOU either needs a top-3 pick or a legitimate QB to bring in to replace Watson.  Tua and Sam aren't the latter.  But what if Derek Carr was.  He's actually been pretty successful in the league but for whatever reason, he seems to carry the blame for all of LV's problems.  

So, serious question. If you're the Texans, and you're trying to save face, would Derek Carr, this year's #1 and #2, and next year's #1 from LV look better than any package the Jets or Fins could give?

This would fail from a bad case of RFS, Residual Failure Syndrome. This city would never accept another Carr.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It continues to amaze me how people can't comprehend the difference in value of certain first round picks over others...if the asking price from the Jets is four 1st rounders and a two 2s that would mean anyone outside of the Jets and Miami would have to pay seven 1st rounders and two 2s. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

If a trade doesn't get done by the draft it will be interesting to see how it's handled. Do the Jets opt to trade down and roll with Sam? If you can land a 3rd first rounder in 2022 then you can see what Sam has while still being in the best position to land Watson if he becomes available at the trade deadline or after the season while adding a ton of talent in FA and the draft this year.

This is assuming they don't fall in love with Wilson/Fields

I don't see how we can build a strategy around acquiring Watson in 2022.  Too many unknowns as to how the next 12 months will play out.  Maybe Watson and the Texans kiss and make up.  Maybe our picks are all in the teens and someone (Detroit maybe) with multiple 1s can outbid us.  If we don't make a deal for Watson before the draft, I don't think we can approach the draft still thinking about how to get Watson in 2022.   

If it was up to me, if Watson is not an option, I am trading Sam, taking Fields at 2 and using the rest of our draft capital to build around the new QB.  The Watson ship will have sailed.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't see how we can build a strategy around acquiring Watson in 2022.  Too many unknowns as to how the next 12 months will play out.  Maybe Watson and the Texans kiss and make up.  Maybe our picks are all in the teens and someone (Detroit maybe) with multiple 1s can outbid us.  If we don't make a deal for Watson before the draft, I don't think we can approach the draft still thinking about how to get Watson in 2022.   

If it was up to me, if Watson is not an option, I am trading Sam, taking Fields at 2 and using the rest of our draft capital to build around the new QB.  The Watson ship will have sailed.

This 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...