John McClain from Houston Chronicle on NFL Radio on Serius Radio 88 at 11 AM

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't see how we can build a strategy around acquiring Watson in 2022.  Too many unknowns as to how the next 12 months will play out.  Maybe Watson and the Texans kiss and make up.  Maybe our picks are all in the teens and someone (Detroit maybe) with multiple 1s can outbid us.  If we don't make a deal for Watson before the draft, I don't think we can approach the draft still thinking about how to get Watson in 2022.   

If it was up to me, if Watson is not an option, I am trading Sam, taking Fields at 2 and using the rest of our draft capital to build around the new QB.  The Watson ship will have sailed.

This is your personal opinion not reality because you don't want Darnold back no matter what.  If the Jets trade back collect extra picks in 2022 and 2023 along with Seattles 1st there's not a team in the league that comes remotely close to having the amount of 1st rounders to offer in 2022 and 2023.  You just want a new QB asap.

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

This is your personal opinion not reality because you don't want Darnold back no matter what.  If the Jets trade back collect extra picks in 2022 and 2023 along with the Seattles 1st theres not a team in the league that comes remotely close to having the amount of 1st rounders to offer in 2022 and 2023.

Well, this is a message board, which seems like an appropriate place to post personal opinions.

No, I don't want Darnold back, but I do see scenarios where it could make sense.  This fiction that if we trade back we absolutely can outbid anyone and acquire any QB we want in 2022 or 2023 is just that.  Fiction.  Detroit already has two 1s in 2022 & 2023.  If they end up with a top 5 pick and our highest pick is in the teens, they absolutely can outbid us.  And, there is no guarantee that the top QB in the draft will be available in 2022 or 23 at any price.  If you don't like Fields/Wilson, then fine, trade back, build the team with draft picks, add a vet in FA to compete with Sam and see what plays out.  But there is no guarantee we can get whatever pick/player we want next year by acquiring draft capital.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Expects he will be traded.

Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plus Darnold who can start while you groom your QB.  (He said this, not me.  I like Watson, but not for 6 picks and Sam)

If they believe Tua is franchise QB, they can deal with Phins for Tua, two 1s, two 2s and another high 2022 pick.  Does not see it being anyone but Jets or Dolphins; and if they don't like Tua, they shoud work with Jets exclusively because of value of #2.

Did not mention Carolina or anyone else as likely destination.  Just Jets or Phins. 

Kick Rocks GIF by Pokémon

They can make a game of kicking rocks with that request.

#2, #34, and 2022 Seattle 1st. Only the Dolphins can beat that offer and I don’t think they will. 

So, Houston has to either sit on their hands or take a descent offer. 

49 minutes ago, undertow said:

This is your personal opinion not reality because you don't want Darnold back no matter what.  If the Jets trade back collect extra picks in 2022 and 2023 along with Seattles 1st there's not a team in the league that comes remotely close to having the amount of 1st rounders to offer in 2022 and 2023.  You just want a new QB asap.

Seems like he’s just trying to say it’s hard to make a plan around getting Watson in 2022 when the Jets have to make a plan around getting this figured out in 2021. We have a whole entire new season and off-season until anyone is concerned with 2022. It would be harmful to the rebuild to set sights on 22’ and neglect the fact we have a season to play in a few months and a QB situation to figure out for this season. Lith doesn’t really reply out of emotions or wanting to get certain players out of town. So even though that “Wilson is bum” thread gave you all a cool little phrase to roll with like “you just want a new QB that badly”, it doesn’t really apply to Lith if you ask me. And yeah, we should all want a new QB that badly. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad or rushed decision.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Seems like he’s just trying to say it’s hard to make a plan around getting Watson in 2022 when the Jets have to make a plan around getting this figured out in 2021. We have a whole entire new season and off-season until anyone is concerned with 2022. It would be harmful to the rebuild to set sights on 22’ and neglect the fact we have a season to play in a few months and a QB situation to figure out for this season. Lith doesn’t really reply out of emotions or wanting get certain players out of town. So even though that “Wilson is bum” thread gave you all a cool little phrase to roll with like “you just want a new QB that badly”, it doesn’t really apply to Lith if you ask me. And yeah, we should all want a new QB that badly. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad or rushed decision.

Have no idea what thread you are talking about so I'll just ask how does this plan change if Watson isn't traded until after the draft?  Obviously you draft a QB if you are in love with him other then that nothing changes we aren't in a better or worse position to land him unless you think Watson is going to play for the Detriot Lions.  The premise of the post is you trade for Watson now or "the ship has sailed"  which is silly.  

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Exactly. I wouldn’t make that trade if I’m the Cardinals GM.

AZ would be much better with Watson if everything else was equal.  Murray is cheap right now so it isn't.  Murray is a freak talent but he's still a midget QB who looked like he ran out of gas down the stretch last season. 

First of all, I don’t care how “respected” this reporter is.  Right now, he is serving as a mouthpiece/shill for the Texans.  Why is anyone getting all worked up about his “starting points?”   I assume that every member of this board has been involved in numerous negotiations.  If you’re selling your house, your car, whatever, you always set an absurdly high asking price.  If anyone is stupid enough to give you that absurd amount, then great.  But, Joe is not stupid.  He will sit tight.  I don’t even think Woody is that stupid, although he is admittedly the week link here  

Secondly, I haven’t read every page of all of these threads, so maybe someone else has said this already,  but there is a huge factor that hasn’t been mentioned in this thread.  Even if we acquire Watson with a reasonable offer, we are still taking a huge risk.  That is the injury risk.  I am not going to give up the farm when it is entirely possible that Watson could wind up missing an entire season at some point.  I lived through this when Namath suffered a season-ending injury in an effing exhibition game. 

So I would offer both of this year’s first round picks, with the earlier pick being the equivalent of 3  mid-level first rounders.  So we’re talking about the equivalent of 4 average first round picks.  I might sweeten the pot with a second round pick in the 2022 draft.  No more first round picks and no players from the team. 

I wish  that Mike Tannenbaum would shut up.

One other point  Why do posters on this board care about the pr hit that the Texans might take?   If they are stupid enough to have their shill throw out absurd scenarios, that’s on them   They created this mess  It is not the job of Joe Douglas to extricate them from it  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Well, this is a message board, which seems like an appropriate place to post personal opinions.

No, I don't want Darnold back, but I do see scenarios where it could make sense.  This fiction that if we trade back we absolutely can outbid anyone and acquire any QB we want in 2022 or 2023 is just that.  Fiction.  Detroit already has two 1s in 2022 & 2023.  If they end up with a top 5 pick and our highest pick is in the teens, they absolutely can outbid us.  And, there is no guarantee that the top QB in the draft will be available in 2022 or 23 at any price.  If you don't like Fields/Wilson, then fine, trade back, build the team with draft picks, add a vet in FA to compete with Sam and see what plays out.  But there is no guarantee we can get whatever pick/player we want next year by acquiring draft capital.

the lions just traded for goff.....i'd be highly surprised if: 1. they end up with a top 5 pick, and 2. that they trade up for a qb next year

8 hours ago, Lith said:

I don't see how we can build a strategy around acquiring Watson in 2022.  Too many unknowns as to how the next 12 months will play out.  Maybe Watson and the Texans kiss and make up.  Maybe our picks are all in the teens and someone (Detroit maybe) with multiple 1s can outbid us.  If we don't make a deal for Watson before the draft, I don't think we can approach the draft still thinking about how to get Watson in 2022.   

If it was up to me, if Watson is not an option, I am trading Sam, taking Fields at 2 and using the rest of our draft capital to build around the new QB.  The Watson ship will have sailed.

I think you misread my post, I only said that we could trade down and roll with Sam having 3 firsts in our back pocket (more than any other team) and have an inside track to get Watson if Sam fails and Watson holds out.

This only works of the Jets don't fall in love with Wilson or Fields at #2.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, undertow said:

So the idea would be to hire a new head coach, bring Darnold back as our starting qb and rather than use our picks to surround him with talent to give him and saleh a chance to be successful, trade them for future picks to potentially trade for Watson next year?

I like how if the Jets trade draft capital for Watson, they'll be totally bereft of talent and not be able to field a decent football team at all, but Miami can give up the same assets and be just fine. 

Yeah, I get they have more talent than the Jets, but THAT much more? 

Jets should make a good offer and if Miami wants to beat that and empty out all it's draft stock, go for it.