Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been some time since I did my first version of this plan and things have really changed since then, we've lost Lawrence and the 1st pick, DW wants out, reports coming that Darnold will stay at ce

Great job and thank you for taking the time to do this.  I enjoyed it, liked the FA moves.. but I two major concerns with the draft.. Trading down from 23 to 40 - to pick up a 3rd - just doe

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

It's been some time since I did my first version of this plan and things have really changed since then, we've lost Lawrence and the 1st pick, DW wants out, reports coming that Darnold will stay at center for 2021, Saleh was hired and many more rumours.

I will start by saying that to me the Jets have really three options, one is to draft a new QB at 2, second is to trade for DW, and third is to build more draft capital to trade for DW next year if Houston decides not to trade him this offseason.

In this mock I went with the Jets staying put and drafting a QB at 2, I really like the ideia of trading for Deshaun Watson but I fear that the Texans may want to much for him, something in the neighbourhood of three 1st rounders and a stud like Quinnen Williams and that's not a price that I am willing to pay because after deep diving on this QB's prospects from the past couple of months I really believe that they're FQB material.

 

Getting started -

First things first after hiring Saleh the Jets offense and defense will have a major turn a round scheme wise, changing to a 4-3 defense and a west coast offense some players that we have right now just don't fit the system that well, as many reporters have said I think we'll see the Jets sign a couple of veterans that already know the system all will help the young guys make the transition, and that's the approach I will take on free agency.

 

Free Agency - 

Cuts: 

Henry Anderson, DE - No brainer has done nothing since Maccagnan signed him to this terrible contract.

Alex Lewis, G - Actually liked him in 2019 but could not replicate the same success in 2020 and also has some off the field issues so he's cut.

Ryan Griffin, TE - I mean talk about dead weight, the guy has 9 catches in 2020.

Greg Van Roten, G - Too inconsistent of a player.

Jamison Crowder, WR - I don't think he really fits what the Jets would want on offense, he could maybe be traded for a late pick.

 

Re Sign:

Marcus Maye, S - Franchise tag prove it deal that you can produce in the new system - 11M year

The 2020 Jets were bad, Poole was the only other Jet free agent that I consider bringing back, but as of right now that does not seem likely.

 

Free Agents (93M in cap):

Joe Thuney, G - He was said to be the priority for the Jets last offseason, NE tagged him not allowing we to get him, he will be 28 going to 29 next season but is still one of the best guards in the league and will make a great left side of the line with Becton. 

Will Fuller V, WR - I think Fuller gets a deal close to what Robby Anderson got last year, he's a similiar player to RA skinny speed guys that can really bring headaches to defenses.

Kendrick Bourne, WR - Decent wr that knows the system.

Gerald Everett, TE - He have to get some production of the TE position, Herndon was terrible last year but I believe that he can bounce back, Everett and Herndon should be a good duo.

Carl Lawson, DE - The sack numbers are not there, but check the QB hits you will be surprised, he would be my second priority on free agency.

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB - We need help at corner, he knows the system, plays well, perfect match.

K'Waun Williams, CB -  Looks like he's a Saleh favorite, place holder at slot corner.

Matt Milano, OLB - The Jets seem to like Milano, will be a good fit for the defense.

Kerry Hyder, DE - Reunite with Saleh, depth at DE.

I will not point all of the free agency moves, but just wanted to give a ideia and show the most polarizing ones.

 

Trades:

Sam Darnold, QB - The Jets will go with the rookie QB at 2 so the only logical move is to trade Sam Darnold away, in this mock I have him going to the WFT for a second round pick.

 

 

Draft - 

1st Round -

Pick 2: Justin Fields, QB - Ohio State. I'll be the first to say that I was off the Justin Fields train when he had those two bad games but to me is very clear what is happening to Justin Fields in this draft, he's not Trevor Lawrence that is his major flaw, as Deshaun Watson in 2017 the guy is suffering from prospect fatigue, we've been hearing from Justin since he was a senior at HS, and is common that we start to nitpick everything he does on the football field.

After a extensive back and forth between Fields and Wilson i've finally come to a decison and to me Fields is just the better overall prospect, I really like Zach and think that he has a chance to be a great QB in this league. I will give a quick scouting report after watching every game he played that its availabe on youtube, reading and studying his numbers.

Pros - 

Though as nails - Played trough injury multiple times in his career, Clemson game this year was legendary.

Accuracy - He's the most accurate QB in this draft on all parts of the field even under pressure. Lawrence is very good all-around, Zach Wilson underthrows constantly on deep balls and is not good against pressure.

Athleticism - 6'3 228 Fields is built like a tank, he's a tough guy to bring down and is a threat to run every time a play breaks down.

Running Ability - He's a dual threat QB, he's more on the Deshaun Watson mold of runners than Lamar Jackson. To me he has a big edge here on Wilson and Lawrence, even though both can run, Wilson will not survive the NFL hits with that frame and Lawrence looks to stiff to be a great runner.

Decision making: Has shown some good decision making through his career (only 9 career ints), he's not perfect but none of the QB prospects are.

He's raw - Wes I will put that on the Pros category, Fields only have 1,5 year of experience as a starting QB and showed so much in that time. I think the Jets did a great job hiring the offensive staff and will be awesome to mold a prospect like Fields.

 

 

Pick 23 (Seattle): Trade - Broncos. Trade this pick to the Broncos, they select Trey Lance (I just don't think we'll go that high as people are saying). 

Broncos get - 23, Lance, 162 (6th) 2021.

Jets get  - 40 (2nd) 2021,  71 (3rd) 2021, 2022 5th.

 

2nd Round - 

Pick 34: Azeez Ojulari, EDGE - Georgia. Speed and hands, that what you're getting with Ojulari, it's not a great EDGE class IMO, but I really like what I see from him, he looks like a faster Ngakoue, a little undersized for the position but finds a way to get it done with technique. 

 

Pick 40 (DEN, trade): Asante Samuel Jr., CB - FSU. He and Jaycee Horn are my favorite corners in this draft, really really physical guy, that thrives in man coverage.

 

Pick 51 (WFT, Darnold trade): Rondale Moore, WR - Purdue. Eletric with the ball in his hands, he's a YAC monster with speed for days, everything that you want on a Shanahan offense.

 

Round 3 - 

Pick 66 : Josh Myers, Center - Ohio State. Worked out pretty well last time we drafted a Ohio State center right? Myers can start day 1 IMO, pushing McGovern to RG and giving Fields some familiarity with his college center.

 

Pick 71 (Denver😞 Jabril Cox, LB - LSU. Changing to a 4-3 we need some OLB with speed and who can cover, Cox is that. He can be the next Deion Jones to Jeff Ulbrich defense. Fits the new mold of linebackers like Darius Leonard, Telvin Smith, Deion Jones.

 

 

Pick 87 (Seattle): Spencer Brown, Tackle - UNI. Raw prospect tackle that showed out in the senior bowl, really like what he brings to the table, he can develop one year behind Fant and take over the starting spot next year. 

 

Round 4 -

Pick 107: Chuba Hubbard, RB - Okl. State. I like his speed and skill set, I think he can fit the offense well, maybe even start at some point. Stock has fallen off a cliff, not a great 2020 season.

 

 

Round 5 -

Pick 147: Cornell Powell, WR - Clemson. Not gonna lie, I have a soft spot for Powell, I love his route running and his physicallity. Reminds of Enunwa, not the YAC beast but everything else.

 

Pick 155: Keith Taylor Jr., CB - Washington. Great size and speed for the position, did very well at the senior bowl.

 

 

 

Depth Chart -

Offense:

QBs - Justin Fields - Veteran QB - James Morgan.

RBs - Chuba Hubbard - La'Mical Perine - Ty Johnson - FA RB.

WRs - Will Fuller V, Denzel Mims, Kendrick Bourne, Cornell Powell.

Slot -  Rondale Moore.

TEs - Gerald Everett, Chris Herndon, Trevon Wesco.

LT - Mekhi Becton, Conor McDermott.

LG - Joe Thuney, Pat Eflein.

C - Josh Myers, Josh Andrews.

RG - Connor McGovern, Josh Andrews.

RT - George Fant, Spencer Brown.

 

Defense:

4-3

LDE - Azeez Ojulari, Kyle Philips, Jabari Zuniga.

DT - Quinnen Williams, Foley Fatukasi, John Franklin-Myers.

RDE - Carl Lawson, Kerry Hyder, Bryce Huff.

ILB - CJ Mosley, Blake Cashman.

OLB - Matt Milano, Jabril Cox, Blake Cashman.

CB - Ahkello Witherspoon, Asante Samuel Jr, Bryce Hall, Keith Taylor Jr. 

Slot CB - Javelin Guidry, K'waun Williams.

FS - Marcus Maye.

SS - Ashtyn Davis.

 

Special Teams:

KR - Rondale Moore.

PR - Rondale Moore.

K - Sergio Castillo.

P - Branden Mann.

 

I believe that I did a solid job in this rebuild, just like the Bills did we built a solid OL for our new QB, put some weapons around him, a defense with great potential plus still have a lot of draft capital to continue to build around Fields. The goal is not to win a SB in year 1 but build a team that can contend for years to come.

 

Sorry for the gigantic post and go jets!

See the source image

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it! In general would be happy with this. I may have a deeper post coming but in the past week or so based on a lot of videos I've watched and commentary I have switched my opinion on QB2 in this draft from Wilson to Fields. I'm actually somewhat surprised because I've gone from tepid on Fields to now really fired up for him. 

 

My nit picky dislikes: 

1) I want no part of Will Fuller in less we can play this season with Injuries turned off 

2) I'm worried Matt Milano may be an expensive signing. I love Cox and hope he lasts to where you have him selected, but I think I'd prefer to re-sign Peanut, hope Cashman doesn't break again and draft Cox and hope that combo can be a "meh" solution for the short term. 

Non-obvious parts I like 

1) I love Chubba Hubbard where he is being projected and think that can be a steal 

2) Love Rondell Moore 

3) Jonnu Smith may be TE1 but I think Everett is a very good back up plan 

 

Great Post! 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Respect the effort, not a real fan of this plan. 

This O would suck, frankly.  Same old same old, bandaid FA's and late round wishful thinking skill guys and a massive risk at QB.

And way too much investment in the Defense, also same old same old DWC thinking.  

I mean its not the Chiefs offense, but its a start, how many WR are actually hiting free agency wright? I don't see Allen Robinson coming here without DW, Golladay will probably get tagged, I like Rondale Moore better than Curtis Samuel. 

Who would you like to see drafted? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Great job and thank you for taking the time to do this.  I enjoyed it, liked the FA moves..

but I two major concerns with the draft..

Trading down from 23 to 40 - to pick up a 3rd - just doesn't seem enough.

Taking a QB at 2 and then going on to draft defense with our two remaining premium picks would be repeating the mistakes of the past.

I would prefer to have gone offense with those two picks too, but I just don't see that many offensive players worth in that range, you can make a argument for a RB like Etienne or Wyatt Davis, maybe reach for a RT. The 23 to me is a tricky spot to be in, from the mock drafts i've been doing theres not great options on offense maybe use 23 to trade up and secure one of the top WRs. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Great job and thank you for taking the time to do this.  I enjoyed it, liked the FA moves..

but I two major concerns with the draft..

Trading down from 23 to 40 - to pick up a 3rd - just doesn't seem enough.

Taking a QB at 2 and then going on to draft defense with our two remaining premium picks would be repeating the mistakes of the past.

This   

Also agree that offensive players need to be prioritzed early on

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this was our WR plan, I would vomit, make you clean it up and eat it, and then punch you in the stomach to watch you vomit it back out again. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't mind the mix.  i don't think fields is worth a two pick but it's hard to say if they can trade that pick down a bit and still be high enough to pick wilson or fields.  also good that a rookie qb won't have to be throwing to a rookie receiving corps.  i don't mind using good picks for defense as long as it's for positions of need.  they need an edge and a corner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

If this was our WR plan, I would vomit, make you clean it up and eat it, and then punch you in the stomach to watch you vomit it back out again. 

Would love to hear what is your plan at WR

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Respect the effort, not a real fan of this plan. 

This O would suck, frankly.  Same old same old, bandaid FA's and late round wishful thinking skill guys and a massive risk at QB.

And way too much investment in the Defense, also same old same old DWC thinking.  

About the only thing you said in here that carries weight is the “too much investment on defense”. Otherwise I don’t think you have a clue what you’re talking about with regards to your assessment of the offense moves 

same old same old; Justin fields, will fuller and Rondale Moore?  The fck are you smoking these days 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Larz said:

From what I’ve read Wilson or Darnold are better fits for Lafleur’s offense than fields is


 

 

I think that Wilson and Fields are good fits for Lafleur's offense, and both could thrive in it, my assumption is that the mobility and athleticism Fields brings to the table would unlock new heights for that offense. 

Darnold is the one who does not fit that well, we have 3 years of him being inaccurate to prove it, if you go back and watch his tape most of his INT came from a clean pocket where he had to make a quick decision, thats the base for the WC offense. And if you don't trust me theres data out there to prove it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

like the effort'

---

with the Ozzie philosophy & JD history so far, I do expect to see trades & movement within the draft

the return value for moving from 23 to 40, as others have said, doesn't seem to be enough though

it does seem like he doesn't lock into a player ... but rather by moving around maximizing his payback is the focus. (i.e. - Mims)

Also we should expect some trades out of this year for picks in the next couple of drafts

---

anyway

i don't believe we' be the ones to get Watson ... so QB at 2 should be the pick, be it Fields or Wilson

---

also remaining rounds 1, 2, & 3 picks need to be primarily offense focused

---

again, like the effort

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Paradis said:

About the only thing you said in here that carries weight is the “too much investment on defense”. Otherwise I don’t think you have a clue what you’re talking about with regards to your assessment of the offense moves 

same old same old; Justin fields, will fuller and Rondale Moore?  The fck are you smoking these days 

I know people are mad because we don't have Allen Robinson in this mock, but im sure he will come beging to play for us when FA starts.

I really like what Fuller can bring to this offense and Fields played with a similar guy there in Columbus in Olave, Olave is not that fast but they are both great running the go route. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

About the only thing you said in here that carries weight is the “too much investment on defense”. Otherwise I don’t think you have a clue what you’re talking about with regards to your assessment of the offense moves 

same old same old; Justin fields, will fuller and Rondale Moore?  The fck are you smoking these days 

Fields is a misfit in our soon-to-be Offense.  I like the kid, got heart and guts, probably my favorite in this class, but he isn't pro ready day 1 and I doubt he's ready to lead a Shanny-type O right off.

Will Fuller, another 500-600 yard a year 3rd option type guy, so impressed (not impressed).  Rondale Moore is fine, 2nd round/3rd round pick type guy, same as Mims last year, i.e. a 2nd tier guy this WR class.  Who knows what he'll be or how long it'll take.

So yeah, like I said, that Offense would suck.  Maybe it might not suck in 2024.  But in 2021 it's gonna suck.

Also not smoking anything yet, but in 2024 I'm going to smoke all the Reefer once it's legal.  ALL OF IT.  Yeah boy!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I think that Wilson and Fields are good fits for Lafleur's offense, and both could thrive in it, my assumption is that the mobility and athleticism Fields brings to the table would unlock new heights for that offense. 

Darnold is the one who does not fit that well, we have 3 years of him being inaccurate to prove it, if you go back and watch his tape most of his INT came from a clean pocket where he had to make a quick decision, thats the base for the WC offense. And if you don't trust me theres data out there to prove it. 

Did you watch the Rams game. What did you see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ljr said:

like the effort'

---

with the Ozzie philosophy & JD history so far, I do expect to see trades & movement within the draft

the return value for moving from 23 to 40, as others have said, doesn't seem to be enough though

it does seem like he doesn't lock into a player ... but rather by moving around maximizing his payback is the focus. (i.e. - Mims)

Also we should expect some trades out of this year for picks in the next couple of drafts

---

anyway

i don't believe we' be the ones to get Watson ... so QB at 2 should be the pick, be it Fields or Wilson

---

also remaining rounds 1, 2, & 3 picks need to be primarily offense focused

---

again, like the effort

For sure, as I explained earlier, I don't really like the value on offense for where we are picking right now, that's why I went with defense.

Im not ready to give the 23 pick for Kadarius Toney wet 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, genot said:

Did you watch the Rams game. What did you see.

Besides my dream of having Trevor Lawrence slip away?

Terrible gameplan by the Rams

Great game for QW again and defense as a whole

As for Sam Darnold 22-31 for 207 yards and 1 TD, game manager type of game carried by a great defensive perfomance.

If you intention was to make a point about Darnold you shoud've brought up the Packers game on his rookie season.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pointman said:

Henry Anderson should be in the next Oceans movie. With the heist he pulled on the Jets, he could be the main role. 

Trumaine Johnson got that locked up already

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Larz said:

From what I’ve read Wilson or Darnold are better fits for Lafleur’s offense than fields is

 

I see this occasionally but it all points back to the same 1-2 sources getting echoed by the internet.  So I dug a little to see if I could find some hard data and stumbled onto this.

 

 

Now I'm not making this guy out to be the top expert in this stuff, but he put the time in an even allowing for a bit of wiggle in the numbers, it was startling how Fields was just as, if not more accurate as Wilson at every distance.  Even more interesting was how much better both charted than Trevor but that's another discussion.

What I would take from this is a few things (assuming you find the data credible):

1) Trey Lance does not belong in the same tier as Fields and Wilson.  Let's put the Lance at QB3 discussion to bed.

2) Fields is just as accurate at Wilson at every distance.  Let's stop calling Wilson 'more accurate'.  

3) Fields does throw more INTs but this is where you can start talking about level of competition.  Here is another quote by Wharton:

So the two guys in his first chart who played top teams had 3-4% INT rates and the two guys who played St. Mary's school for the blind had 1-2% INT rates.  I don't think you can just project those same rates into the NFL where everything is notched up.  

My final takeaway is this:  I think Fields is everything you look for in a prospect.  Big.  Accurate.  Good runner.  Tough.  Wins a lot.  You can point to 'processing speed' as maybe the only ding but even that's been debunked largely by analysis of the system he was asked to throw in at OSU.  There really isn't anything there to balk at, and in almost any year other than 2021, he's QB#1 and nobody is feeling bad about it.  It feels at times like people are trying to create a narrative that lets Wilson slide up to QB#2 but it feels very forced to me.

Wilson has all the pretty throws and good judgment as well, but there are ways in which he doesn't stack up to Fields that you can't fix. He won't get bigger, faster, or less injury-prone (to whatever level you ascribe that as real).  I think there's a lot to be excited about with Wilson if that's who you end up with, but if I have the choice, I just don't see it as even close.  You go with the guy who has been repeatedly successful against the best competition out there and charts out as one of the best prospects in years.  If the Clemson game didn't convince you, nothing will.

Anyway, back to the original point, I think talking about Wilson being a better fit for LaFleur's system is nitpicking and avoiding the bigger issue, which is who has the most upside with good odds to achieve it in any number of systems.  For me, that's Fields.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Besides my dream of having Trevor Lawrence slip away?

Terrible gameplan by the Rams

Great game for QW again and defense as a whole

As for Sam Darnold 22-31 for 207 yards and 1 TD, game manager type of game carried by a great defensive perfomance.

If you intention was to make a point about Darnold you shoud've brought up the Packers game on his rookie season.

 

You talked about quick decisions. Please consider the fact that Gase only realized at the end of the year that running backs and tight ends are allowed to catch footballs

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I know people are mad because we don't have Allen Robinson in this mock, but im sure he will come beging to play for us when FA starts.

I really like what Fuller can bring to this offense and Fields played with a similar guy there in Columbus in Olave, Fuller is not that fast but they are both great running the go route. 

On what planet is Fuller not that fast?

There are things you can criticize about his game, but that is literally the one you can't.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fields is a misfit in our soon-to-be Offense.  I like the kid, got heart and guts, probably my favorite in this class, but he isn't pro ready day 1 and I doubt he's ready to lead a Shanny-type O right off.

Will Fuller, another 500-600 yard a year 3rd option type guy, so impressed (not impressed).  Rondale Moore is fine, 2nd round/3rd round pick type guy, same as Mims last year, i.e. a 2nd tier guy this WR class.  Who knows what he'll be or how long it'll take.

So yeah, like I said, that Offense would suck.  Maybe it might not suck in 2024.  But in 2021 it's gonna suck.

Also not smoking anything yet, but in 2024 I'm going to smoke all the Reefer once it's legal.  ALL OF IT.  Yeah boy!

The bolded reeks of nonsense you picked up oline. Trevor and Justin are the only two guys who can step in play right away. I can't even go there with you because it's obvious you've taking in Wilson Dogma. Fields is actually more suited than the others in some ways - def more suited than Wilson

Beyond that - still doesn't make sense. Same old Same old? Whether or not you like Fields (sub in the name you like FFS), you take him at 2, add in Fuller, plus moore and Powell -- the fact you're not praising those moves speaks volumes about you're knowledge of him -- and you're bitchng up that Offense, w/ Everett 

lol dude. Get on the weed NOW.... you can't afford to wait to 2024

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, genot said:

You talked about quick decisions. Please consider the fact that Gase only realized at the end of the year that running backs and tight ends are allowed to catch footballs

Am I supposed to be impressed by a 200 yard game?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...