5.5 YPC isn't even top 70 in the nation. His running game carried? Gimme a break. With this idea, how come practically none of the other dozens of QBs on teams with 5 YPC had even close to his production?

He flat out improved greatly between seasons when he was healthy. Even go back to his freshman year, he was very impressive.  We didn't write of guys like Burrow and Murray for being last season studs because they showed legitimate play, and so did Wilson. How come every QB that played an easy schedule didn't put up what he did? Because he's worth something. Low competition being a reason to write him off is ridiculous, plenty of QB's have succeeded from small schools. He led the nation in pro and tight window throws which obviously show him not throwing to wide open super athletes, you can watch this all on tape. Some of his best plays were dropped ffs. 

Also the idea that he wasn't good against Coastal Carolina is false. The guy is a legitimate prospect and significantly better than a Trubisky or Rosen.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure some of you will read this and immediately think I don't know what I'm talking about.  This post isn't meant for you. You are the sheep. This post is meant for those that don't follow the adv

Officially reached the point where I'm rooting for Wilson to be the pick purely out of spite

All of these dicks are bums Jets fans have quickly pivoted from thinking that Lawrence is the savior, to then missing out on him and trying to convince themselves that there are no less than 3-4

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

The Wilson hate is comical at this point. I love him personally, but to each his own. I think its funny that you focus on his 2019 tape, as if his 2020 tape doesn't exist. He learned, he healed, he grew smarter, he got better. People beat the competition thing to death, dont care, I see throws and processing of information that will translate.  Not sure why thats so hard to understand. Oh yeah, and the shoulder thing., like everyone that gets drafted with a healthy background NEVER gets injured. Got it. 

This post had really good info. And by really good info I mean 0 good info and complete trash. Im looking forward to this place blowing up when the jets draft him though. Thats going to be fun. And because there so much negativity around him from jets fans for some reason, then you already know he will be the pick. Enjoy

You don’t throw out any of the tape. He’s not as good of a prospect as this year would indicate and he’s probably better than his 2019 showing. But notice the big difference is this year he only played coastal Carolina. And lost. I’m not saying he’s the worst but you don’t throw out the biggest red flag because you watched him make throws from pristine pocket against some of the worst defenses in college football. Again this like watching middle school basketball tape of me dominating the paint and saying I’ve seen his skills. He has all the stuff he’s going to be the Indian Kareem Abdul Jabar (complete with rec specs mind you, I was real cool in middle school).  He’s a guy that I would take in the middle of round 1. Has some plus skills but definitely a riskier pick due to completion and smaller sample size of success. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m glad I’m not Joe Douglas because this is not an easy decision. Although lately I’m starting to believe Wilson will be the pick.

Of course he's going to be the pick, he's by far the most Jetsy Pick possible.  I fully expect to hear his name at pick #2.  Same Old Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

The official explanation that Wilson sucked in 2019 was because he was playing with a shoulder injury that would require surgery (his second, this time in his throwing shoulder), hence he had no velocity, no accuracy, yada, yada, yada...

The surgery and rehab following the 2019 season, meant he was physically night and day between 2019 and 2020. He still played against a powder puff schedule in 2020, looking less than spectacular against CCU.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, manuvsteal said:

I'm sure some of you will read this and immediately think I don't know what I'm talking about.  This post isn't meant for you. You are the sheep. This post is meant for those that don't follow the advice of robo-dialers and and take the first offer from used car salesmen.

Zach WIlson is being bandied about as the second best quarterback behind Trevor Lawrence. What has he done to get this praise? I'll tell you.  He was the 70th rated passer in a field of 130 Quarterbacks.  He threw a whopping 62% against slightly better than garbage opponents.  Well what about his magic arm?  He threw 11 touchdowns to 9 interceptions.  What #2 pick in the draft has an almost 1 to 1 TD to INT ratio?

For those of you scratching your heads, I'm not talking about 2020 Zach Wilson. I'm talking about 2019 Zach Wilson. That's the only other year that he started a full slate.  In 2020 he threw 33 TD's, completed 73% of his passes and everyone forgot about who he was the year before.  The only thing that changed between 2020 and 2019 is the running game was better. BYU had a 4 yard per carry running back by committee in 2019.  BYU had a 5.5 yard per carry with a primary back the following year.  Why does this matter?  BYU ran the ball 465 times in 2019, and 423 times in 2020.  By comparison they threw it 468 times and 376 times in 2019 and 2020 respectively.  They went as their running game went, and the passing game prospered from that. Zach Wilson prospered from that.  Zach Wilson didn't put the team on his shoulders and carry them. The BYU running game put Zach Wilson on it's back and carried him.

This year's draft Wilson is being overhyped because he has a strong arm, and he throws a nice spiral.  So did Mitch Trubisky (the last one year wonder).  Josh Rosen had a nice arm, and threw pretty passes, and he is on his third team.  Zach Wilson is of that ilk.  Anyone clamoring for the Jets to draft him may as well watch his 2019 film (when you all didn't know his name), because that is more indicative of who he is than 2020 while BYU beat up on some bum teams, and folded to Coastal Carolina, the only ranked team they played.  

The sheep will still say "We need Zach WIlson!". That's fine.  I'm counting on the fact that Joe Douglas is not a sheep, and he won't hitch his wagon to the latest one year wonder to become popular just before the draft.  

So... You start out insulting people.

Totally not worth reading your opinion after that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TheMo said:

But notice the big difference is this year he only played coastal Carolina. And lost.

This tells me you didnt watch that game. At all. 

He threw for 240 and a TD and rushed for 50. 

He took that game down to the absolute last second of the clock to the CC 1 yard line after driving 90 yards on 6 completions in under 45 seconds with no timeouts and would have won it had his WR been able to carry 5 guys on his back another 1 yard. 

Dude did this after VOLUNTEERING along with his team to travel across the entire country on a short week to play a game they didnt even need to play and almost won it if not for a couple seconds left on the clock. 

If BYU took the chump route on the season that Ohio State and the Big10 did, then he would deserve the criticism in this scenario. 

Using the Coastal Carolina game against Wilson in any way will always tell someone that you didnt watch the game. Its widely considered one of the 10 best games of the entire 2020 season. 

We should be drafting this kid off this game alone.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm sure some of you will read this and immediately think I don't know what I'm talking about.  This post isn't meant for you. You are the sheep. This post is meant for those that don't follow the advice of robo-dialers and and take the first offer from used car salesmen.

Zach WIlson is being bandied about as the second best quarterback behind Trevor Lawrence. What has he done to get this praise? I'll tell you.  He was the 70th rated passer in a field of 130 Quarterbacks.  He threw a whopping 62% against slightly better than garbage opponents.  Well what about his magic arm?  He threw 11 touchdowns to 9 interceptions.  What #2 pick in the draft has an almost 1 to 1 TD to INT ratio?

For those of you scratching your heads, I'm not talking about 2020 Zach Wilson. I'm talking about 2019 Zach Wilson. That's the only other year that he started a full slate.  In 2020 he threw 33 TD's, completed 73% of his passes and everyone forgot about who he was the year before.  The only thing that changed between 2020 and 2019 is the running game was better. BYU had a 4 yard per carry running back by committee in 2019.  BYU had a 5.5 yard per carry with a primary back the following year.  Why does this matter?  BYU ran the ball 465 times in 2019, and 423 times in 2020.  By comparison they threw it 468 times and 376 times in 2019 and 2020 respectively.  They went as their running game went, and the passing game prospered from that. Zach Wilson prospered from that.  Zach Wilson didn't put the team on his shoulders and carry them. The BYU running game put Zach Wilson on it's back and carried him.

This year's draft Wilson is being overhyped because he has a strong arm, and he throws a nice spiral.  So did Mitch Trubisky (the last one year wonder).  Josh Rosen had a nice arm, and threw pretty passes, and he is on his third team.  Zach Wilson is of that ilk.  Anyone clamoring for the Jets to draft him may as well watch his 2019 film (when you all didn't know his name), because that is more indicative of who he is than 2020 while BYU beat up on some bum teams, and folded to Coastal Carolina, the only ranked team they played.  

The sheep will still say "We need Zach WIlson!". That's fine.  I'm counting on the fact that Joe Douglas is not a sheep, and he won't hitch his wagon to the latest one year wonder to become popular just before the draft.  

So you and others wouldnt have drafted Burrow.

Or any other player who develops and has a big final season.

OK

• Upvote 2

Well, that and Wilson not having an injured throwing shoulder. Not like that would impact his passing in 2019, though

31 minutes ago, JTJet said:

He took that game down to the absolute last second of the clock to the CC 1 yard line after driving 90 yards on 6 completions in under 45 seconds with no timeouts and would have won it had his WR been able to carry 5 guys on his back another 1 yard. 

Dude did this after VOLUNTEERING along with his team to travel across the entire country on a short week to play a game they didnt even need to play and almost won it if not for a couple seconds left on the clock. 

If BYU took the chump route on the season that Ohio State and the Big10 did, then he would deserve the criticism in this scenario. 

Using the Coastal Carolina game against Wilson in any way will always tell someone that you didnt watch the game. Its widely considered one of the 10 best games of the entire 2020 season. 

The Wilson detractors on this board think they can predict his NFL career by watching 10 minutes of YouTube highlights and reading box scores. I doubt the OP has ever watched a BYU football game from start to finish. 

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, JTJet said:

He should be taken off draft boards for that game alone.  

He showcased how mistake prone he is when playing scared; his teammates bailed him out. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Are you suggesting that Joe Burrow, who threw 60 TDs /6 INTs with a 76% comp pct while playing against 14 power-5 teams en route to winning the national championship is even REMOTELY similar to Zach Wilson’s “big final season”?

This is a joke right? 

People also had the opportunity to watch Burrow for a full year....the people who are all hysterical about Wilson have watched at most a 10 minute Youtube video to form their expert opinions.  These are also the same people who wanted Fields and after one bad game they have moved on.

This is not last season's draft.  Barrow and Herbert were clear starting prospects.  This year is Lawrence and Sewell.  Picks 3 - 15 are similar.  I do not think that any of the other QB prospects are worthy of a top 10 choice. 

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

So I did watch it on YouTube (or anyway, Wilson's possessions). All I knew before was his only pick was a Hail Mary as time expired in the first half, and that last pass that came up 1 yard short.

I am NOT solidly in the draft-him corner. I'd still rather pool that pick with a couple others (if such a deal can be made) for Watson. I'm not against it either; I just don't haven't seen enough of him to say he's omg must draft. Anyway this is now the only game of his I've watched from beginning to end. It wasn't the train wreck it's made out to be by a long shot.

Don't worry about how long this is; mostly it was me just making notes as I watched since my memory often stinks. There's a summary at the end, but if anyone cares to read this here anyway, since skimming this is still way-faster than watching:

1st half:

• 1st possession: started on its own 9, then backed up to the 4 on a holding penalty that erased a 91-yard TD pass. If his TE could hold a block for just 1 second without holding then it's a TD. On a 3rd & 8 Wilson ran for 18 yards (he has to learn to slide; his pretty little head will get separated from his body at the next level). All three 1st incompletions after the erased TD pass were under immediate/heavy pass rush. Drive died after a 3rd & 5 handoff run was stuffed for a loss. Punt. 
  • CC scored on a 94 yd TD drive that ate up 9 min of clock basically to the end of the 1st quarter. 
  • 2nd possessionBYU TD. The only 2 Wilson plays were a 12-yard run after a pump fake with one defender between him & some open running room, and a 16-yard pass (receiver was open but Wilson led him well), before a 42-yd RB rushing TD.
  • 3rd possession: run, then a backward sideline double-pass/option called, then another run, then a called double-pass on 4th & 1 Wilson hit his WR in the breadbox for a would-be 25-yard gain to CC's 25 but his receiver flat-out dropped it. Turnover on downs at midfield, and CC scored a TD on that next drive.
  • 4th possession: BYU TD. The 41-yard TD pass probably should've just been a 10-15 yard sideline completion. Blown coverage on his #1 WR with no one within 7 yards of him when the pass arrived. Then 3 defenders on him and 2 more past him on the RAC and no one so much as shoved him out of bounds, let alone wrapped him up. I think they thought he stepped OOB so they gave up on the play even though the whistle hadn't blown. Hard to give Wilson too much credit for that TD, but I don't know what else he's supposed to do on that drive to make up for it; I mean, it's a TD.
  • 5th possession: He did fumble without getting hit while rolling to his left (recovered it himself) by holding the ball too low while running & his knee hit the ball, knocking it out. Erased it with a nice running throw across his body on 3rd & 14 for a 21-yd 1st down. Next incomplete pass he was hit as he was throwing. Then came Wilson's lone pick (and one of just 3 he threw all season): a 60-yard Hail Mary with the clock expiring at the half, not an errant pass.
  • After that pick, edge rusher Gunter on CC tackled & bashed Wilson's head into the turf; then after Wilson got up he outright tackled him & did it again; then tackled him a 3rd time incl a forearm to Wilson's neck after that). In the NFL that would've gotten him suspended for the rest of the season; here he wasn't even tossed from the game. Was almost Haynesworth-level dirty, though I admit it was amusing seeing 40 Mormons rush to the field & act like they were going to rumble. More likely they sang the Hello! song to Coastal's players once they actually got out there. 

2nd half:

• 6th possession: Drive stalled on CC's 12. BYU FG. On it #94 Gunter with a late hit OOB. Plenty of time on 1st down pass for 23 yds; pass on the money but his receiver was also wide open over the middle. Then quick pass for another 5 as called. 3rd & 5 designed keeper & defender Gunter had him dead to rights with no blocker. Honestly pretty weak play calling at the end rather than poor play. FG.
  • 7th possession: BYU RB Allgeier fumbled on 1st play of the drive on his own 29. Free FG for CC.
  • 8th possession: 1st play plenty of time, 52-yard pass (65 yards of air) hits his WR Romney (yes, related to Mitt) in the gut & he drops another (though if caught it would've been one-handed because his left arm was locked up by CC's top corner; coverage was that tight; but the throw was right there). Next pass attempt under early pressure. A little behind the receiver but still hit his hands & should've been caught. Next play designed option, just a 2-yd run. Then a 16-yd pass on 3rd & 8 was a little low but good enough. Next play throws it fast under pressure for 2-yd gain (gotta say he's got a quick windup when he needs to). 2nd & 8 two rushers came in unblocked on a play action (nothing he could do), making it 3rd & 20. Punt. CC scored the go-ahead TD on the ensuing drive.
  • 9th possession: first series Wilson throws 1st down pass on 2nd & 7. Next series on 2nd & 10 Wilson again flushed out of the pocket & completed a short pass which should've been for a short gain. Instead his receiver Jackson broke one tackle but then figured he could run around everyone, and ran 20 yards backwards from midfield & got tackled on his own 30. So a would-be 3rd & 6 turned into 3rd & 26. Noting it because that not only killed any scoring chances on that drive, but it also subtracted about 20 yards from Wilson's yardage stats (plus any other yards that would've followed). Punt.
  • 10th possession: 1st down short completed pass, then 2 handoffs (the latter getting stuffed for a loss). Punt.
  • Crazy 11th & final possession, on a drive that began on his 18 then further backed up to BYU's 9 after a 1st down holding penalty, then an incomplete pass made it 2nd & 19 from BYU's own 9 with 35 seconds left. Somehow got downfield and on the last pass came 1 yard shy of the game-winning TD. 

So if you don't want to read all that (and I'll find out who skipped it and using site analytics & geofencing data I will come find you all):

• Wilson had a long TD taken away on a holding penalty; had another drive taken away when his WR dropped a 1st down pass on CC's 25; had another drive taken away due to his receiver running backwards 20 yards after the catch; and still came within 1 yard of a game winning TD pass at the end.
  • Also in between a handful of snaps where he had plenty of time, an early pass rusher or blitzer (or a couple guys) got through very quickly to pressure him quickly on most pass attempts. Whatever people say about the Jets' OL all year long, this performance was noticeably worse on balance. His average time nowhere near the crappy average 2.5 seconds-to-pressure Darnold had in 2020.

Not a banner day for Wilson, just looking at the numbers for his other games last year, but after actually watching the game it was hardly because of him crapping the bed like people repeat after looking at the final score or the box score. A couple of his worst throws were still caught or good enough to be caught anyway.

Admittedly this is again the only game of his I've ever seen. My issue is there isn't a lot more footage of him under this type of duress for a whole game. He's not going to face Texas State or Troy at the next level. Wilson may very well be Trubisky II in the NFL, but he really didn't look bad here and this was supposedly his worst game of the season.

• Upvote 2

Why can't we just draft a QB and allow a competition between the rookie and Sam? Either player could be traded and will stop this uncertainty. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

He should be taken off draft boards for that game alone.  

He showcased how mistake prone he is when playing scared; his teammates bailed him out. 

You are probably one of eight people that watch football that think that. 

Marching 90 yards down the field in 40 seconds with no timeouts all off 6 completions, and come within 1 yard of winning the game off a short week is exact opposite of mistake prone. 

This game exemplified character, perseverance, and skill. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So I did watch it on YouTube (or anyway, Wilson's possessions). All I knew before was his only pick was a Hail Mary as time expired in the first half, and that last pass that came up 1 yard short.

I am NOT solidly in the draft-him corner. I'd still rather pool that pick with a couple others (if such a deal can be made) for Watson. I'm not against it either; I just don't haven't seen enough of him to say he's omg must draft. Anyway this is now the only game of his I've watched from beginning to end. It wasn't the train wreck it's made out to be by a long shot.

Don't worry about how long this is; mostly it was me just making notes as I watched since my memory often stinks. There's a summary at the end, but if anyone cares to read this here anyway, since skimming this is still way-faster than watching:

1st half:

• 1st possession: started on its own 9, then backed up to the 4 on a holding penalty that erased a 91-yard TD pass. If his TE could hold a block for just 1 second without holding then it's a TD. On a 3rd & 8 Wilson ran for 18 yards (he has to learn to slide; his pretty little head will get separated from his body at the next level). All three 1st incompletions after the erased TD pass were under immediate/heavy pass rush. Drive died after a 3rd & 5 handoff run was stuffed for a loss. Punt. 
  • CC scored on a 94 yd TD drive that ate up 9 min of clock basically to the end of the 1st quarter. 
  • 2nd possessionBYU TD. The only 2 Wilson plays were a 12-yard run after a pump fake with one defender between him & some open running room, and a 16-yard pass (receiver was open but Wilson led him well), before a 42-yd RB rushing TD.
  • 3rd possession: run, then a backward sideline double-pass/option called, then another run, then a called double-pass on 4th & 1 Wilson hit his WR in the breadbox for a would-be 25-yard gain to CC's 25 but his receiver flat-out dropped it. Turnover on downs at midfield, and CC scored a TD on that next drive.
  • 4th possession: BYU TD. The 41-yard TD pass probably should've just been a 10-15 yard sideline completion. Blown coverage on his #1 WR with no one within 7 yards of him when the pass arrived. Then 3 defenders on him and 2 more past him on the RAC and no one so much as shoved him out of bounds, let alone wrapped him up. I think they thought he stepped OOB so they gave up on the play even though the whistle hadn't blown. Hard to give Wilson too much credit for that TD, but I don't know what else he's supposed to do on that drive to make up for it; I mean, it's a TD.
  • 5th possession: He did fumble without getting hit while rolling to his left (recovered it himself) by holding the ball too low while running & his knee hit the ball, knocking it out. Erased it with a nice running throw across his body on 3rd & 14 for a 21-yd 1st down. Next incomplete pass he was hit as he was throwing. Then came Wilson's lone pick (and one of just 3 he threw all season): a 60-yard Hail Mary with the clock expiring at the half, not an errant pass.
  • After that pick, edge rusher Gunter on CC tackled & bashed Wilson's head into the turf; then after Wilson got up he outright tackled him & did it again; then tackled him a 3rd time incl a forearm to Wilson's neck after that). In the NFL that would've gotten him suspended for the rest of the season; here he wasn't even tossed from the game. Was almost Haynesworth-level dirty, though I admit it was amusing seeing 40 Mormons rush to the field & act like they were going to rumble. More likely they sang the Hello! song to Coastal's players once they actually got out there. 

2nd half:

• 6th possession: Drive stalled on CC's 12. BYU FG. On it #94 Gunter with a late hit OOB. Plenty of time on 1st down pass for 23 yds; pass on the money but his receiver was also wide open over the middle. Then quick pass for another 5 as called. 3rd & 5 designed keeper & defender Gunter had him dead to rights with no blocker. Honestly pretty weak play calling at the end rather than poor play. FG.
  • 7th possession: BYU RB Allgeier fumbled on 1st play of the drive on his own 29. Free FG for CC.
  • 8th possession: 1st play plenty of time, 52-yard pass (65 yards of air) hits his WR Romney (yes, related to Mitt) in the gut & he drops another (though if caught it would've been one-handed because his left arm was locked up by CC's top corner; coverage was that tight; but the throw was right there). Next pass attempt under early pressure. A little behind the receiver but still hit his hands & should've been caught. Next play designed option, just a 2-yd run. Then a 16-yd pass on 3rd & 8 was a little low but good enough. Next play throws it fast under pressure for 2-yd gain (gotta say he's got a quick windup when he needs to). 2nd & 8 two rushers came in unblocked on a play action (nothing he could do), making it 3rd & 20. Punt. CC scored the go-ahead TD on the ensuing drive.
  • 9th possession: first series Wilson throws 1st down pass on 2nd & 7. Next series on 2nd & 10 Wilson again flushed out of the pocket & completed a short pass which should've been for a short gain. Instead his receiver Jackson broke one tackle but then figured he could run around everyone, and ran 20 yards backwards from midfield & got tackled on his own 30. So a would-be 3rd & 6 turned into 3rd & 26. Noting it because that not only killed any scoring chances on that drive, but it also subtracted about 20 yards from Wilson's yardage stats (plus any other yards that would've followed). Punt.
  • 10th possession: 1st down short completed pass, then 2 handoffs (the latter getting stuffed for a loss). Punt.
  • Crazy 11th & final possession, on a drive that began on his 18 then further backed up to BYU's 9 after a 1st down holding penalty, then an incomplete pass made it 2nd & 19 from BYU's own 9 with 35 seconds left. Somehow got downfield and on the last pass came 1 yard shy of the game-winning TD. 

So if you don't want to read all that (and I'll find out who skipped it and using site analytics & geofencing data I will come find you all):

• Wilson had a long TD taken away on a holding penalty; had another drive taken away when his WR dropped a 1st down pass on CC's 25; had another drive taken away due to his receiver running backwards 20 yards after the catch; and still came within 1 yard of a game winning TD pass at the end.
  • Also in between a handful of snaps where he had plenty of time, an early pass rusher or blitzer (or a couple guys) got through very quickly to pressure him quickly on most pass attempts. Whatever people say about the Jets' OL all year long, this performance was noticeably worse on balance. His average time nowhere near the crappy average 2.5 seconds-to-pressure Darnold had in 2020.

Not a banner day for Wilson, just looking at the numbers for his other games last year, but after actually watching the game it was hardly because of him crapping the bed like people repeat after looking at the final score or the box score. A couple of his worst throws were still caught or good enough to be caught anyway.

Admittedly this is again the only game of his I've ever seen. My issue is there isn't a lot more footage of him under this type of duress for a whole game. He's not going to face Texas State or Troy at the next level. Wilson may very well be Trubisky II in the NFL, but he really didn't look bad here and this was supposedly his worst game of the season.

This is extremely fair and on point. 

My biggest takeaways from that game (and I was watching it live) was the fortitude it took to have a mediocre game, on a short week, playing a game they didnt even need to be playing, and to do what he did on that final drive and come within a yard of winning the game. It was impressive as sh*t. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Why can't we just draft a QB and allow a competition between the rookie and Sam? Either player could be traded and will stop this uncertainty. 

Sure.  But don’t use the 2nd pick overall to do that

Fields and Wilson aren’t even worth a top 15 pick.  They’re getting hyped up because the media has nothing else to talk about and fans who were masterbating to Trevor in a jet uniform for 6 months now want to pretend there’s another Qb in this draft even close to Trevor 

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sure.  But don’t use the 2nd pick overall to do that

Fields and Wilson aren’t even worth a top 15 pick.  They’re getting hyped up because the media has nothing else to talk about and fans who were masterbating to Trevor in a jet uniform for 6 months now want to pretend there’s another Qb in this draft even close to Trevor 

95% of the fan base loved Darnold coming out and how did that work out? 

• Upvote 1

I really enjoy everyone's feedback, both positive and negative.  I could have written about all the typical things that I look at like his footwork in the pocket, how quickly I think he goes through progressions, etc.  I didn't want to make a 20 paragraph long blog, so I kept it simple.  

Wilson is the definition of a one year wonder.  There are no two ways around it. For those of you that made the who doesn't want to see progression from year to year, of course you want to see that.  But take the full picture into account.  What top competition, power 5 schools, or stiff defenses did the player play against?  Are you watching scouting video of game film vs each team, or just Zach Wilson highlights?  Where are the DB's set up on throws he makes? How many seconds in the pocket does he have on typical throws?  Where is the defensive line pressure at the point he is planting his feet and throwing? Still stuck on the line, or already in the backfield?  

For Wilson, I see a nice arm, playing a puff schedule for 2 years straight. If you take into account his 2 years of play, and put him in a  power 5 conference I think he falls in the middle of the pack.  He rarely looks off his first route option because he didn't have to.  I think he is Mitch Trubisky 2.0.  If you like Mitch Trubisky (and Mitch did make one Pro Bowl), you will like guys like Zach WIlson.  It's not a direct one to one comparison, so don't get your panties in a bunch.  

If you don't believe what I am saying I'll give you a quick snippet.  This is not what I like to do regularly, but here is 2 minute video vs San Diego State.  Usually I'd look at every throw from different angles, but no one is going to watch that.  For reference he was 25 of 34 with 3 TD's and 300 yards in this game.  Not a bad stat line.  Watch the film however:

There are 13 throws that they highlight by my count.  They are all designed plays, and he comes off his first read maybe one time.  The last play he holds the ball 5 seconds, and they comment how he is "under duress" as if this was an insane blitz that he somehow got the ball out despite of how long he has the ball.  I see this and I wonder how many times is he going to have a clean pocket? How many times is he going to be blitzed maybe a half dozen times the entire game?  How many times is he going to be able to sit in the pocket 5 seconds to throw the ball to his first read without looking someone off?  Does he have "arm talent"?  Sure.  I just don't think the guy I see translates to a Sunday QB. I see a guy who runs the script against bad comp, plays well and gets the media love for it.  

I'd personally put Mac Jones (starting prospect), even Kyle Trask (developmental) above him.  They have shown better decision making, accuracy, much faster processing, and have beat up much better defenses for the past 2 years.  Arm strength is great. It's just not more important than reading a defense, getting the ball out quickly, being accurate, going through progressions (which Zach Wilson has not), and throwing with timing.  Arm strength is probably 4th, maybe 5th on the list of most important to me, but definitely not 1st.  If you're a fan of this guy because he has a strong arm, you may see it differently.  

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just in case you guys don’t want to read the whole post from the OP. I’ll recap it. 

Wilson is a “Bum” because...

1) He had a lot of time in the pocket 

2) He has a very good arm and Josh Rosen also had a good arm

That’s the crux of the Wilson sucks crew argument.  

And, arm chair fans really like to believe they have valid opinions on players they saw some highlights on.

Go watch the 2019 Washington @ BYU game, this is what wilson will look like in the NFL. Also don't tell me wilson didn't have the talent around him as his BYU team were after beating Tennessee and USC in the lead up to this game.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Give me Watson or give me death.  

Patrick_Henry_001b.jpg

Looks like one hell of a tailgate at The New Dump. There's me being the voice of reason, bottom left, sitting quietly in the background, abstaining. Not abstaining from Wild Turkey, abstaining from kicking crazy woo woo bananas Patrick Henry in his ass.

I kid, I kid. I would never kick anyone in the ass at a tailgate. On the floor of Congress, definitely.

• Haha 2