Zach Wilson is a Bum!

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Of course he's going to be the pick, he's by far the most Jetsy Pick possible.  I fully expect to hear his name at pick #2.  Same Old Jets.

i don't. joe douglas is a former lineman, and i'm pretty sure he's not gonna waste a #2 pick on a one year wonder whose only college success came against crap competition

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Are you suggesting that Joe Burrow, who threw 60 TDs /6 INTs with a 76% comp pct while playing against 14 power-5 teams en route to winning the national championship is even REMOTELY similar to Zach Wilson’s “big final season”?

This is a joke right? 

No I made a comment based on your comment about a one year wonder who was a total but until that season.  I was suggesting that lots of players who where "one year wonders", who come on out of nowhere were more than worth drafting.  There's no timeline to when and how a player develops 

Relax, no reason to get so twisted.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JTJet said:

This tells me you didnt watch that game. At all. 

He threw for 240 and a TD and rushed for 50. 

He took that game down to the absolute last second of the clock to the CC 1 yard line after driving 90 yards on 6 completions in under 45 seconds with no timeouts and would have won it had his WR been able to carry 5 guys on his back another 1 yard. 

Dude did this after VOLUNTEERING along with his team to travel across the entire country on a short week to play a game they didnt even need to play and almost won it if not for a couple seconds left on the clock. 

If BYU took the chump route on the season that Ohio State and the Big10 did, then he would deserve the criticism in this scenario. 

Using the Coastal Carolina game against Wilson in any way will always tell someone that you didnt watch the game. Its widely considered one of the 10 best games of the entire 2020 season. 

We should be drafting this kid off this game alone.

I actually watched all his pass plays for that game. Twice. You’re using stuff that doesn’t matter in an evaluation all this chump stuff etc. ignoring all that, Wilson had some great throws dropped by his receivers he also had about 3 picks they hit defenders right in the bread basket that ended up being dropped. Ironically his one pick that actually happened I didn’t feel like was on him with the receiver falling down. He also got strip sacked with a fumble return for a TD. @maury77 and I have discussed this plenty of times. You’re not looking at the whole picture but rather a drive to say hey he did cool stuff. Also I don’t care if the game was exciting, that doesn’t alter how I judge an individual players performance. Like I said before I don’t think he’s an awful player by any stretch, just don’t think he’s the number 2 QB. Also don’t think it’s impossible for him to be good, just think he has a lower probability. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adobolo said:

Go watch the 2019 Washington @ BYU game, this is what wilson will look like in the NFL. Also don't tell me wilson didn't have the talent around him as his BYU team were after beating Tennessee and USC in the lead up to this game.

So, one game his Sophomore year - coming off beating two quality is reason he will be bad in the NFL.

This premise is comical.  They all have bad games, jeez look at TL in the playoff game this year (is that what he'll look like in the NFL? I mean, he did just come off a big win the week before)

The Wilson hate brigade really have to dig deep to find legitimate reasons not to hate him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Let me tell you sheep something, all this Patrick Mahomes hype is ridiculous.  Im not talking about 2016, im talking about 2015.

This is a guy who played 5 ranked opponents in 2015 and he lost to every single one.  He followed that up with losing to 3 ranked teams in 2016.  Isnt the point of being a QB winning games????

He consistently has bad mechanics where he throws off his back foot and just doesnt protect the football.  15 interceptions in 2015 and 10 this past season. On top of that, what type of competition does he even face in the Big 12, do they even play defense.

Wild overall post, with absolutely zero analysis on Wilson's actual game or skill set.   Should be a fun next month on here.

• Upvote 4

I'm hoping our pick is Fields , not because I think Wilson isn't worthy but I think Fields is more pro ready coming out .

Weird I think the exact opposite... I see Fields as more raw talent ... Wilson as more finished skills, better accuracy and arm talent and surprisingly agile.

Your comment about a lot of Wilson's throws would be picks ... spot on and scares me .. but the ratio is awesome and would hope his decision making would make the adjustment.

Watson ... hard pass.

My guess ... Darnold.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

47 minutes ago, TheMo said:

I actually watched all his pass plays for that game. Twice. You’re using stuff that doesn’t matter in an evaluation all this chump stuff etc. ignoring all that, Wilson had some great throws dropped by his receivers he also had about 3 picks they hit defenders right in the bread basket that ended up being dropped. Ironically his one pick that actually happened I didn’t feel like was on him with the receiver falling down. He also got strip sacked with a fumble return for a TD. @maury77 and I have discussed this plenty of times. You’re not looking at the whole picture but rather a drive to say hey he did cool stuff. Also I don’t care if the game was exciting, that doesn’t alter how I judge an individual players performance. Like I said before I don’t think he’s an awful player by any stretch, just don’t think he’s the number 2 QB. Also don’t think it’s impossible for him to be good, just think he has a lower probability. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Let me tell you sheep something, all this Patrick Mahomes hype is ridiculous.  Im not talking about 2016, im talking about 2015.

This is a guy who played 5 ranked opponents in 2015 and he lost to every single one.  He followed that up with losing to 3 ranked teams in 2016.  Isnt the point of being a QB winning games????

He consistently has bad mechanics where he throws off his back foot and just doesnt protect the football.  15 interceptions in 2015 and 10 this past season. On top of that, what type of competition does he even face in the Big 12, do they even play defense.

Wild overall post, with absolutely zero analysis on Wilson's actual game or skill set.   Should be a fun next month on here.

Yup. I'm not really a Wilson guy, but the OP is just a collection of opinion and innuendo that tells us little or nothing about Wilson's value as a potential #2 pick.

Not mentioning his injuries in 2019, for example, when decrying him as a one-year wonder seems more than a little biased.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, manuvsteal said:

I'm sure some of you will read this and immediately think I don't know what I'm talking about.  This post isn't meant for you. You are the sheep. This post is meant for those that don't follow the advice of robo-dialers and and take the first offer from used car salesmen.

Zach WIlson is being bandied about as the second best quarterback behind Trevor Lawrence. What has he done to get this praise? I'll tell you.  He was the 70th rated passer in a field of 130 Quarterbacks.  He threw a whopping 62% against slightly better than garbage opponents.  Well what about his magic arm?  He threw 11 touchdowns to 9 interceptions.  What #2 pick in the draft has an almost 1 to 1 TD to INT ratio?

For those of you scratching your heads, I'm not talking about 2020 Zach Wilson. I'm talking about 2019 Zach Wilson. That's the only other year that he started a full slate.  In 2020 he threw 33 TD's, completed 73% of his passes and everyone forgot about who he was the year before.  The only thing that changed between 2020 and 2019 is the running game was better. BYU had a 4 yard per carry running back by committee in 2019.  BYU had a 5.5 yard per carry with a primary back the following year.  Why does this matter?  BYU ran the ball 465 times in 2019, and 423 times in 2020.  By comparison they threw it 468 times and 376 times in 2019 and 2020 respectively.  They went as their running game went, and the passing game prospered from that. Zach Wilson prospered from that.  Zach Wilson didn't put the team on his shoulders and carry them. The BYU running game put Zach Wilson on it's back and carried him.

This year's draft Wilson is being overhyped because he has a strong arm, and he throws a nice spiral.  So did Mitch Trubisky (the last one year wonder).  Josh Rosen had a nice arm, and threw pretty passes, and he is on his third team.  Zach Wilson is of that ilk.  Anyone clamoring for the Jets to draft him may as well watch his 2019 film (when you all didn't know his name), because that is more indicative of who he is than 2020 while BYU beat up on some bum teams, and folded to Coastal Carolina, the only ranked team they played.  

The sheep will still say "We need Zach WIlson!". That's fine.  I'm counting on the fact that Joe Douglas is not a sheep, and he won't hitch his wagon to the latest one year wonder to become popular just before the draft.  

Wolf who dresses like a sheep.  I have a sheep fetish so thanks for the shout out.  

Wilson had a terrific freshman season at BYU followed by offseason shoulder surgery.  In 2018 as a freshman he had 12 TD's and 3 INT's, 8.7 yards per attempt, 65.9 percent completion percentage.  

Off season shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum.  He had a down year in 9 game starts as a sophomore.  9 games not a full season.  He followed that up with a huge season last year.

Arguing that the running game made the QB is a silly argument.  Unless you're running a WCO the running game is critical to all down field throwing QB's.  The way football is played is you control the clock and field position with the running attack and you bring the D up and get field position chunk plays out of your passing game.  This has been the formula in the NFL since OL men were allowed to extend their arms in pass protection.  Bill Walsh may have changed that with the WCO but most teams today are still using the run to set up the pass recognizing that TOP and field position also has a positive impact on their own defensive performance.  Not coincidentally Wilson yards per went up which also helps the running game by moving the safeties up.  It's very possible coming off surgery he wasn't throwing down field as much and it impacted the running game negatively.  When things are going well for the QB things go well for the running game and yes that works both ways.  It's a team sport and a competition with opponents who actually impact what you can do. 

Zach Wilson on tape made a lot of NFL throws.   Yes he does throw a nice spiral.  The real question which none of us can answer is can he mentally make the jump to the NFL.  Does he have that innate ability to translate those nice spirals to the physical speed that he is going to face at the next level?

The fact that he had a major progression in 1 year doesn't mean he's going to regress to a lower level.  It might mean he made a leap and is now at a better level.  None of that answers the question can he make another leap and play at the NFL level as an elite QB. 

I have no idea what kind of QB Zach Wilson will be at the pro level.  He clearly is an excellent prospect who will be anally probed by the NFL process with gobs of information put into the same super computer which spits out the 28 teams that are still in the playoff hunt in week 14.

Years ago when I actually was a used car salesman I learned a lesson about people who work the price to the last dime.  They generally had buyers remorse and never really enjoyed the ride. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

i don't. joe douglas is a former lineman, and i'm pretty sure he's not gonna waste a #2 pick on a one year wonder whose only college success came against crap competition

You can tell that from all the awesome picks and signings he's made so far, eh?

You're a better man than I then, because so far, Douglas looks quite like a mixed bag, with most of his picks (so far) being disappointing or underperforming.

The wildcard is Saleh and his coaches.  If THEY get a hardon for Wilson, Wilson will be the pick, be assured.

• Upvote 2

You can tell that from all the awesome picks and signings he's made so far, eh?
You're a better man than I then, because so far, Douglas looks quite like a mixed bag, with most of his picks (so far) being disappointing or underperforming.
The wildcard is Saleh and his coaches.  If THEY get a hardon for Wilson, Wilson will be the pick, be assured.
This ... I am supremely curious of Saleh's impact on Ashton Davis.

Can this kid play or not ?

1 hour ago, Adobolo said:

Go watch the 2019 Washington @ BYU game, this is what wilson will look like in the NFL. Also don't tell me wilson didn't have the talent around him as his BYU team were after beating Tennessee and USC in the lead up to this game.

That game really makes me sour on Wilson. I know all QBs have bad games (Fields had 2 stinkers this season), but Wilson just looks so physically overmatched against Washington. Washington also had a secondary that could make plays on the ball and they still dropped 4-5 picks against Wilson that game. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, one game his Sophomore year - coming off beating two quality is reason he will be bad in the NFL.

This premise is comical.  They all have bad games, jeez look at TL in the playoff game this year (is that what he'll look like in the NFL? I mean, he did just come off a big win the week before)

The Wilson hate brigade really have to dig deep to find legitimate reasons not to hate him.

It's not 1 game his sophomore season, the entire season was pretty mediocre. He had 12tds and 9 INTs the entire season. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

That game really makes me sour on Wilson. I know all QBs have bad games (Fields had 2 stinkers this season), but Wilson just looks so physically overmatched against Washington. Washington also had a secondary that could make plays on the ball and they still dropped 4-5 picks against Wilson that game. 

Its strange, because he can throw it unusually deep, but it seems late arriving. I wonder if that is measured

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What's comical is people gushing over a qb who played trash defences for an entire year and had half a week in the pocket to throw the ball to open receivers.

This tread was about his 2019 season and how he preformed against a stronger strength of schedule than he had to in 2020 and I used the washington game as an example where he played a relatively good team.

Go trough the entire 2019 season and then tell me what you think of Wilson.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Joe Burrow was a one year wonder in college too.  Just saying.

I think it's silly for anyone (on one side or the other) to claim that they have it all figured out.  The truth is no one knows how Zach Wilson or any other player will do in the NFL.

There are plenty of things to like in Zach Wilson's college tape in 2020.  He seemed to put things together while playing in a system very similar to what the Jets are going to put in place under the new regime.  He can take snaps from under center and from the shotgun.  He has an excellent release.  He has a decently strong arm.  He looks off defenders and goes through progressions.  He makes aggressive decisions and throws into tight windows.  He takes care of the football and limits turnovers.  He moves within the pocket well and has the ability to scramble.  There are plenty of things to like, and if you judge objectively, the skills he showed this past season translate well to the NFL.

Are there concerns with the competition level, shoulder injuries, and a thin frame?  Sure, but by no means are any of these deal breakers in my opinion.  There is no such thing as the perfect prospect.  Zach Wilson has as good a chance as any other quarterback in this draft in becoming the next big thing in the NFL.

We are going to have to trust Joe Douglas and his team of evaluators.  The Jets future is largely riding on the evaluation of the quarterbacks in this draft.

Joe burrow made it until week 9, when chase young murdered him 

5 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Its strange, because he can throw it unusually deep, but it seems late arriving. I wonder if that is measured

Its because his arm is overrated. He's got a beautiful, quick, whippy release and throws a great spiral, so it makes the ball appear fast coming out, but watch how many of his deep passes flutter out at the end. 

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This ... I am supremely curious of Saleh's impact on Ashton Davis.

Can this kid play or not ?

I can say that about most of the guys J.D. has signed or drafted tbqh.

The fact that Gase and his cronies were, IMO, one of the worst coaching staffs ever to shame an NFL sideline is the ONLY reason that I have any faith in Douglas or his FA's and draft picking at this point.  Because beyond the 1st round O-lineman, they just haven't done much or anything.

It's the same logic I see some have with Sam Darnold.  The kid has played in two bad offensive systems, with two bad Head Coaches,  and two bad rosters of supporting offensive talent, at both Oline and Skill positions.  There is a chance, slim tho it may be, that Sam really is a victim of our team's failed management, and that with a decent Coach and decent roster of O-talent, he might be ok after all.  I just doubt it, lol.

So yeah, lots to wait and see this offseason and season, JD should be on a warm seat at least (No, I dont want to fire him yet, but I DO want to see some improvement for a change).

1 hour ago, TheMo said:

You watched JUST the pass plays... and you're telling ME that I am not looking at the whole picture. Not sure if you're being serious or not here.

Everything I mentioned matters in an evaluation of a successful player, especially a QB. I flat out said he had a mediocre game, it's the intangible aspects that you need to watch happen and take the whole thing into context along with the play. 

That is something you have not done since you quickly YouTubed just his passing plays. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

And, arm chair fans really like to believe they have valid opinions on players they saw some highlights on.

We'll keep that kind of thinking in mind if you ever post any of your own armchair fan opinions, lol.

• Haha 1

So, are we to believe that Mac Jones, because he played against better competition, is the real deal when it was documented that he was helped immensely by his line and talent around him that he only had 33 tight window throws the ENTIRE year?! His receivers were WIDE OPEN almost every time he went back to pass - almost every single time! Because he was on a great team he had statistically the easiest year for a QB in history. That's why I don't buy your argument at all. Burrows really came into his own his last year - QBs actually can have a light go on and just 'get it.' How did he do his rookie year in the NFL? Wilson has the traits to succeed in the NFL. If we don't get Watson, I would be really surprised if he isn't our QB next year. Great arm, accurate, has moxie. I would be excited to have him.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Its because his arm is overrated. He's got a beautiful, quick, whippy release and throws a great spiral, so it makes the ball appear fast coming out, but watch how many of his deep passes flutter out at the end. 

Gotta admit, that is concerning.  Chad 2.0?

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We'll keep that kind of thinking in mind if you ever post any of your own armchair fan opinions, lol.

Please do. I wish there were a public scorecard of all of our predictions. I have said it many times here, I am not very much in the prediction business. I have looked stupid many times. And often, I don't have the proper criteria to make a prediction. Those that make predictions without all pertinent analysis are often proven wrong.  Those that take themselves seriously in doing so, deserve particular attention.

38 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Please do. I wish there were a public scorecard of all of our predictions.

If only, if only....someone needs to implement this on Sports Forum software, so everyone can look up all the predictions/projections a poster made and judge their accuracy.  Some of us would love it, others, not so much, and some (like one certain poster I used to know) would just continue to never ever post any predictions beforehand then tell everyone how right he was after the events happened, lol! 

38 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And often, I don't have the proper criteria to make a prediction. Those that make predictions without all pertinent analysis are often proven wrong.  Those that take themselves seriously in doing so, deserve particular attention.

I agree with a point here, we fans do in fact lack some of the really in depth stuff that would help form opinions.

With that said, we're also alot smarter and more knowledgeable than some folks give us credit.  Some of us are very highly educated, played football ourselves, and have literal decades of experience watching and analyzing the sport.  Some of us have been more right than many of our past General Managers, in fact, and without a huge staff of scouts and admin support to help us get there, lol!

All I'm saying is, some of us are not so dumb as you might think for "taking our own opinions seriously".  That's all.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I'll some up my thoughts as briefly as I can. Wilson had very good tape this year. I don't think he had historic tape like some would have you believe, but his tape was very good. Fields also had very good tape this year (yes, Indiana & NW were bad, but the Clemson game was probably the best game by anyone in college football this year when taking everything into account). When we set the tape aside and look at all other factors:

Size: Fields > Wilson

Athleticism: Fields > Wilson

Injury history: Fields > Wilson

Level of competition: Fields > Wilson

Consistency over his career: Fields > Wilson

Room for growth: Fields > Wilson (Fields has started about half as many games as Wilson)

Wilson had very good tape this year, but there are too many potential red flags for me to feel comfortable selecting him at 2 (especially when I have a blue chip prospect like Fields available). 

We can't have nice things he will not be the pick

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Did he? Did he beat two quality teams, or did his kicker win both games in OT?

Yes. He’s also overrated as hell. 

First, read this back to yourself. Second, why so divisive? Not liking a guy at #2, when that pick can potentially be a blue-chip weapon (Pitts, Chase, Smith, Waddle) + a valuable player at top of 2nd round (CB, OG, RB) + a 1st round pick next year... doesn’t mean he is hated.  I don’t “hate” Zach Wilson, I  simply prefer the bounty of picks we can acquire over him.  He’s not a #2 overall pick. He’s a risky draft pick that needs more time to develop. 

• Upvote 1

The Jets brass blew it *TOTALLY* when they were coerced into going on a two game winning streak, thus ending their possession of Trevor Lawrence.

Fields and Wilson are busts waiting to happen.  Watson would be an expense that didn't need to be taken on had they maintained their hold on the first overall pick. 

As usual, the Jets brass do what they have to in order to ensure the Jets remain a laughing stock and a defective product in general.

Bottom line and summary.  It was all there for the taking, and they found a way to screw up in epic fashion. 

Joe Douglas does not matter.  Saleh does not matter.  What they do with their "consolation prize" second overall draft pick does not matter.

Same Owner = Same Garbage Organization With The Same Garbage Results.  

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I'll some up my thoughts as briefly as I can. Wilson had very good tape this year. I don't think he had historic tape like some would have you believe, but his tape was very good. Fields also had very good tape this year (yes, Indiana & NW were bad, but the Clemson game was probably the best game by anyone in college football this year when taking everything into account). When we set the tape aside and look at all other factors:

Size: Fields > Wilson

Athleticism: Fields > Wilson

Injury history: Fields > Wilson

Level of competition: Fields > Wilson

Consistency over his career: Fields > Wilson

Room for growth: Fields > Wilson (Fields has started about half as many games as Wilson)

Wilson had very good tape this year, but there are too many potential red flags for me to feel comfortable selecting him at 2 (especially when I have a blue chip prospect like Fields available). 

I am perplexed as to how Fields was the 1b to Lawrence’s 1a for the better part of two seasons, and somehow a two game slump bumps him down to the consensus third QB in the class behind Wilson. This after the best game (vs. Clemson) I’ve ever seen a college QB play. Fields is my slam dunk pick at 2. 

• Upvote 3

When I first checked out the highlights of the quarterbacks coming out this year I was totally unbiased and I thought the best fit for the Jets was Fields.

New York is like no other place in the world. Watch interviews from each QB Prospect. The only guy with an attitude and a set of balls is Fields.

Also feels has a Howitzer for an arm. Wilson may benefit from the new regime but he's just a skinnier version of Sam Darnold so in that case we should just keep Sam.

DeShaun Watson is an asinine pipedream backwards move where we give up all of our draft picks and half of our cap room in free agency. The only way this happens is if Woody gets involved so let's stop talkin about it.

Also we have the option of the redheaded trifecta! If you do draft Zach Wilson, keep Sam Darnold, and bring back Fitzmagic! Then we can have the redheaded stepchild New York Jet quarterback competition.

I think we're keeping Sam and trading down in the end. Different types of news slips through the cracks from time to time and I read somewhere that the Johnsons feel that we didn't put a good enough team around Sam and we've done him wrong.

If we do take a QB at number two, it should be Fields. We need a change of scenery and to stop bringing in milk toast white boys from all over the country who have no idea how to handle being a New Yorker.

I suggest you check out their highlights and then check out interviews with each QB Prospect. Who do you want leading this team and who do you want to see at the podium at the postgame press conference week in and week out?

• Upvote 2

It should be either Watson or Darnold.  We shouldn't be dicking around with the leftovers from the lost Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

Too many questions and concerns about Zach Wilson.  One year wonder, injury history, every highlight video shows the same 4 throws being completed against scrub teams, etc.  This would seem like an Akili Smith type pick.

Go all-in for Watson or keep Darnold and "monetize" the #2 pick in a trade-down to accumulate a boatload of solid players.

• Upvote 2