New York Jets would regret passing on Justin Fields at No. 2

NYJets8

Coming off of an ugly 2020 season, the New York Jets hold the second overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. The Jets have already improved this offseason, as the hire of new head coach Robert Saleh will be massive for this team. While they are heading in the right direction, the Jets’ priority this offseason has to be taking care of their quarterback situation. Having that No. 2 pick will obviously help.

I understand the appeal of moving forward with Sam Darnold and looking to build a team around him. That being said, Darnold has been bad and starting fresh with a brand new coach/quarterback combination feels like the best plan of attack.

The New York Jets must make the quarterback position a priority this offseason and simply targeting a new franchise guy at No. 2 makes the most sense. Zach Wilson has been the hot name connected to the Jets recently. While Wilson is undoubtedly a talented player who is coming off of a great season at BYU, he is not the right guy for the Jets.

Former Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has slipped down the board according to some, but when it comes down to it, Fields is an incredible quarterback prospect who has massive upside at the next level. He is the second-best quarterback (obviously, nobody is touching Trevor Lawrence at the top) in the 2021 NFL Draft class and would be the ideal choice for the New York Jets at No. 2.

Fields is an incredibly gifted player whose combination of arm talent and athleticism gives him massive upside at the next level. He rips the ball into tight coverage with impressive velocity and accuracy when needed, and also shows impact playmaking ability as a runner. Fields is a quick and explosive runner who displays a powerful running style that will make him a dangerous rushing weapon at the next level.

Why is he slipping?

Personally, I think that Fields is becoming a victim of over-analyzation throughout the 2021 NFL Draft. We do this every year. Pick and pick at top-tier draft prospects, finding minor negatives to stress about while forgetting about what these guys do best.

In the case of Fields, many doubt his ability to make quick decisions. In reality, I think he is just a patient quarterback who likes to read through his progressions before making a decision. Does this lead to him holding the ball a bit too often sometimes? Sure, but his ability to see the field and work through his progressions is incredibly impressive. Make no mistake about it, Justin Fields is a smart quarterback prospect who reads the field extremely well.

Fields is a smart and athletic quarterback who has a big arm and throws the ball with great accuracy and anticipation to all levels of the field. What’s not to like?

The New York Jets may opt to stick with Darnold or take Wilson with the second overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Those moves may work to an extent, but neither player is going to have the same kind of impact as Justin Fields. Fields is an incredible football player who is going to be a star at the next level. If the Jets go in another direction, they will regret not taking Fields.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

No they wouldn’t 

I’m officially taking the position that both Justin Fields and Zach Wilson can suck the wettest fart directly from my ass.

Either make a move for Watson, or stick with Darnold and trade down while gathering as many assets as possible over the next two years.

We finally have a strong GM with a superb scouting background and you dicks want him to do his best Mike Tannenbaum impression for a quick gain.

If we can get Watson for anything short of selling our souls for the next half a decade...awesome. Go get him.

Otherwise...we already missed out on the grand prize that is Trevor Lawrence.

Stop trying to overthink it and dupe yourselves into thinking that Zach Wilson or Justin Fields (much less Trey Lance or Mac Jones) are on the same level.

Trade down from #2 for a bounty over the next two years and see what Darnold looks like without a dogsh*t supporting cast and at least a semi-competent coaching staff around him.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love a good rant but this is where you lost me.   You're advocating trading for Watson, which would be very trader Mike and by definition, that would be a "quick gain".  We also saw Mikey T. do what you're advocating, holding on to the worst starting QB in the NFL

Justin Fields is 100x better prospect then Sam Darnold, IMHO and we've seen first hand, just how bad Sam sucks.  He missed wide open receivers on the reg and is guaranteed 2-3 wtf are you doing throws a game.  Talent, doesnt change those aspects of his game.  He sucks.  So I'll agree with the article, if passing on Justin Fields to stick with Darnold is the Jets decision, we're proper ****ed and yes, they will regret it.

It's ******* passing Watson/Mahomes for Hackenberg all over again.

I’m going to have to suck you into some of the main board threads lol. I’m tired of explaining why Wilson doesn’t pass muster as better prospect than Fields. And then having to state this does not indicate that I think he sucks entirely. Just that he’s much riskier and not the #2 QB. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Biggest game of his career, injuried, top OL down, RB down, defense getting steamrolled, and he still did great. Some really really good reps against a lot of pressure.

Agreed. Another thing about evaluating the QB prospects is that we have to evaluate how they are going to handle the biggest media stage in the world. Fields has been on TV since high school (QB1 show on Netflix) and appeared in the national playoffs every season in college. This doesn't mean he won't choke in NYC, but at least we have some evidence about how he handles the spotlight. What's been the biggest stage Wilson has played on?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, TheMo said:

I’m going to have to suck you into some of the main board threads lol. I’m tired of explaining why Wilson doesn’t pass muster as better prospect than Fields. And then having to state this does not indicate that I think he sucks entirely. Just that he’s much riskier and not the #2 QB. 

Yeah, it gets old.  The simple way to battle those dudes is just make a factual statement.  If Kilani Sitake had both Wilson and Fields in the program at the same time (he wouldnt because Fields was the #2 prospect in the entire country and had his choice of where he wanted to play and would never chose BYU of all places) but if he did, Zach Wilson would be in the transfer portal while we watched Fields dominate that cupcake schedule.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No they wouldn’t 

I’m officially taking the position that both Justin Fields and Zach Wilson can suck the wettest fart directly from my ass.

Either make a move for Watson, or stick with Darnold and trade down while gathering as many assets as possible over the next two years.

We finally have a strong GM with a superb scouting background and you dicks want him to do his best Mike Tannenbaum impression for a quick gain.

If we can get Watson for anything short of selling our souls for the next half a decade...awesome. Go get him.

Otherwise...we already missed out on the grand prize that is Trevor Lawrence.

Stop trying to overthink it and dupe yourselves into thinking that Zach Wilson or Justin Fields (much less Trey Lance or Mac Jones) are on the same level.

Trade down from #2 for a bounty over the next two years and see what Darnold looks like without a dogsh*t supporting cast and at least a semi-competent coaching staff around him.

DAMN!  Say it like you mean it!!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Biggest game of his career, injuried, top OL down, RB down, defense getting steamrolled, and he still did great. Some really really good reps against a lot of pressure.

You have a unique definition of the word great

21 hours ago, JiF said:

I love a good rant but this is where you lost me.   You're advocating trading for Watson, which would be very trader Mike and by definition, that would be a "quick gain".  We also saw Mikey T. do what you're advocating, holding on to the worst starting QB in the NFL

Justin Fields is 100x better prospect then Sam Darnold, IMHO and we've seen first hand, just how bad Sam sucks.  He missed wide open receivers on the reg and is guaranteed 2-3 wtf are you doing throws a game.  Talent, doesnt change those aspects of his game.  He sucks.  So I'll agree with the article, if passing on Justin Fields to stick with Darnold is the Jets decision, we're proper ****ed and yes, they will regret it.

It's ******* passing Watson/Mahomes for Hackenberg all over again.

I got a solution.

JD: Hi its JD with the Jets. Got a great offer for you. Our #2, #23, Darnold and our earliest  #1 2022 for Justin Herbert.  Good deal right? We both sucked last year so this would help you to.

Chargers GM: Hold on JD.  Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello You there? 

JD: Ring Ring Ring. 

I'm sorry the number you are trying to reach has been disconnected.

11 hours ago, maury77 said:

So now Matt Miller, Joe Marino, Jordan Reid, and Kyle Crabbs have Fields over Wilson. Did everyone just sober up over the weekend and realize the obvious? @win4ever, it looks like the turn around is taking place even before the pro days. 

It's going to be a whole litany of prospects, that interchange.  For example, we have the Chris Simms one where he predicted correctly, but it wasn't his "final prediction".  I think he had Rosen going to the Jets by the end.  However, that doesn't matter because after the draft, most people will only google "Team Picking - Player Picked Scouting Report" because I don't care if the Panthers got a steal or not.  And thanks to SEO, you'll get the one where that guy touted to your team article pops up.  

We saw today with Simms having Wilson over Lawrence.  That "Is Lawrence REALLY the No. 1 pick?" wave has to be coming soon, especially after some pro-days.  It just sells.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

It's going to be a whole litany of prospects, that interchange.  For example, we have the Chris Simms one where he predicted correctly, but it wasn't his "final prediction".  I think he had Rosen going to the Jets by the end.  However, that doesn't matter because after the draft, most people will only google "Team Picking - Player Picked Scouting Report" because I don't care if the Panthers got a steal or not.  And thanks to SEO, you'll get the one where that guy touted to your team article pops up.  

We saw today with Simms having Wilson over Lawrence.  That "Is Lawrence REALLY the No. 1 pick?" wave has to be coming soon, especially after some pro-days.  It just sells.  

Over on the cesspool of the Landing Strip, Chris Simms is now Nostradamus. It's f*cking awful over there right now (feel free to call me a draft forum snob). 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Over on the cesspool of the Landing Strip, Chris Simms is now Nostradamus. It's f*cking awful over there right now (feel free to call me a draft forum snob). 

Lol, I rarely post on the main one.  It's not that there isn't intelligent conversation, but it tends to get so sidetracked that it's not worth it.  I remember posting an article by Solak (back when it was NDT scouting or something) touting Lamar Jackson as being a stud QB.  In fact, I think most of the people in that thread agreed, that maybe we should take him at 6. There's lots of guys that have good track records, and he's on Fields this year at 2, when I last checked.  

In the end it doesn't matter, lol.  No matter who you pick, half the people will hate it.  Half the people will love it.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

So now Matt Miller, Joe Marino, Jordan Reid, and Kyle Crabbs have Fields over Wilson. Did everyone just sober up over the weekend and realize the obvious? @win4ever, it looks like the turn around is taking place even before the pro days. 

Didn't Miller have Wilson as QB 2 just a few weeks ago?

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

LOL, I thought he did as well and I called him out on twitter because of it, but he claimed that he had Fields at 2 "for a minute". Whatever. 

I will let it go.  Just thought it was funny how some of the experts also flip flop (which is fine).

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Miller is the absolute worst. Honestly, I had no clue Chris Simms had that much sway over the main board. It’s a little weird.

He suddenly does because he’s been good for two drafts. And was gruden-like in his praise of some previous QBs. Sorry to say but a sample size of two doesn’t impress me all that much. Sure he was spot on for two years call me when it’s five. Did watch the video and the thing  that him and I would fight about re: Wilson would be the competition stuff. I think it matters more. Also Kellen Mond/Mac Jones over fields is just stupid. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Miller is the absolute worst. Honestly, I had no clue Chris Simms had that much sway over the main board. It’s a little weird.

He didn’t until he said Zach Wilson was the best. This is why I came in so hot when I was debating you earlier this off-season. Having to deal with those fanboys over there is a lot different than having a reasoned discussion with you lol. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I remember when Matt Miller had Jake Fromm as his #1 QB and potential top 5 pick.  Pretty sure it was before his last season with the Dawgs.  Even remember listening to a Dawgs podcast where they were getting all excited that an NFL scout had Fromm going top 5, until they mentioned the supposed NFL scout was Matt Miller whose twitter handle is "NFLDraftScout."

Not sure which is worse.  Miller for thinking Fromm was a top 5 pick, or the DawgNation podcast for touting Miller as an NFL scout.