Dolphins inform LB Kyle Van Noy he will be released

Interested?

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-inform-lb-kyle-van-noy-he-will-be-released

A once lofty free-agent signing has morphed into a surprising cap casualty for the Dolphins.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday that Miami has informed linebacker Kyle Van Noy that he will be released after one season.

"I am surprised and disappointed in their decision. As a captain, I gave my all to the team," said Van Noy in a statement obtained by Garafolo. "I fought through a painful injury during the season, including spending a night in the hospital after a game. I was brought there to be a leader and I know my teammates looked up to and respected me. I am looking forward to making an impact on my next team, on and off the field."

Van Noy, 29, inked a four-year, $51 million contract last March, which included $30M in guaranteed money and a $12M signing bonus. The move is expected to free up about $9.7 in cap space.

A former second-round pick out of BYU, Van Noy began his career with the Lions before joining the Patriots via trade in October, 2016. While in New England, Van Noy compiled an impressive three-and-a-half year stretch that led to him being viewed as a top-notch free agent entering last offseason.

Playing under Brian Flores, his former position coach in New England, Van Noy recorded 69 tackles, six sacks and six passes defended in 14 games played (13 starts) in 2020. A three-sack, eight-tackle showing against the Bengals in Week 13 earned the veteran AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Although it didn't work out in Miami, Van Noy, a well-respected guy in the locker room, will likely have numerous suitors who hope to add the two-time Super Bowl champion at a cheaper price. As for the Dolphins, regrouping with a younger, less expensive LB corps led by Jerome Baker, Shaq Lawson and Andrew Van Ginkel figures to be the new focus moving forward.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel like people with Van as a prefix to their last name have disproportionate amounts of success to the rest of us. Martin Van Buren, Andy Van Slyke, Rob Van Dam, Rip Van Winkle, Van Halen, Van Gogh, Van Damme, Dick Van Dyke...etc. 

I don't know what this has to do with football but it's probably something Joe Douglas should look into. 

Vann McElroy was good safety for the Raiders.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel like people with Van as a prefix to their last name have disproportionate amounts of success to the rest of us. Martin Van Buren, Andy Van Slyke, Rob Van Dam, Rip Van Winkle, Van Halen, Van Gogh, Van Damme, Dick Van Dyke...etc. 

I don't know what this has to do with football but it's probably something Joe Douglas should look into. 

Van Heflin was a decent enough actor.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Loved this song:

My boss at the Greenwich Land Trust NGO that I worked for through high school was named Van. His success relative to the rest of us was disproportionately lacking. However, it is unfortunate that The Office came out right around the time he was hired, because he would have made a better Michael Scott than Carrell given that he wouldn't have had to act. 

• Upvote 1

Van Wilder!write-that-down.jpg.9a78d32221c084843e3750ce65b7bd02.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My boss at the Greenwich Land Trust NGO that I worked for through high school was named Van. His success relative to the rest of us was disproportionately lacking. However, it is unfortunate that The Office came out right around the time he was hired, because he would have made a better Michael Scott than Carrell given that he wouldn't have had to act. 

Alright so that notches us at one in the negative column for the Vans. Let's put him and Joren Van Der Sloot in the No column for now.

• Sympathy 1

Kyle Van Noy 'surprised, disappointed' after Dolphins release linebacker to free up cap space

The veteran didn't see this move coming after just one season in Miami

By Patrik Walker

3 hrs ago1 min read

© Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Time and again players are reminded the NFL is a business. The Miami Dolphins are the latest team to send that memo and the recipient of the moment is linebacker Kyle Van Noy, who was informed by the team he would be released, per Mike Garafolo of NFL Network. It's a decision that outright stunned the two-time Super Bowl winner, who made that clear not long following the news being made public.

"I am surprised and disappointed in their decision," Van Noy told Garafolo. "As a captain, I gave my all to the team. I fought through a painful hip injury during the season, including spending a night in the hospital after a game. I was brought there to be a leader and I know my teammates looked up to and respected me. 

"I am looking forward to making an impact on my next team."

The move will clear $9.775 million in cap space for the Dolphins, owners of approximately $28.08 million in cap space based upon the agreed upon floor of $180 million. That number might increase if the final 2021 salary cap figure goes north, but the Dolphins aren't waiting around to find out if that'll be the case. It's also been reported they did not approach Van Noy with an option to rework his current deal, per Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald -- a four-year, $51 million contract signed just one year ago -- instead opting to cut him loose entirely despite his deal including $30 million in guaranteed money. 

And with that, the one-year reunion with Brian Flores has come to an end, but Van Noy now gets the chance to find a new NFL home ahead of the free agency spending spree. He logged 13 starts for the Dolphins in 2020 and delivered 69 combined tackles (46 solo) along with six pass deflections and six sacks. It's unlikely he'll be unemployed for long, but he never expected to be unemployed at all this offseason.

What about Robert Van Winkle. Not so much

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Vanna White

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

As a Pirates fan, much respect for bringing up Andy Van Slyke! 

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

"I am surprised and disappointed in their decision. As a captain, I gave my all to the team," said Van Noy in a statement obtained by Garafolo. "I fought through a painful injury during the season, including spending a night in the hospital after a game. I was brought there to be a leader and I know my teammates looked up to and respected me. I am looking forward to making an impact on my next team, on and off the field."

I kind get why he was released. He loves him some Van Noy.