Saleh Having a Press Conference Tomorrow AT 12:15

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just what I was going to post.  So the question is, Mac Jones or Trey Lance?

I really like Jones, and I think he will be ready to play early.

Lance's upside is huge, but he probably needs a year on the bench behind a veteran.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

It sounds like the main point of this presser was to beg teams to trade for darnold.

Yup.  The for sign sale was put in the front yard.

But just as important, it was to tell the fans what the expectations should be for this team.  Most jet fans want to spend like drunken sailors in free agency, win 8 games next year and be stuck in mediocrity moving forward.

And that is not happening.  This will be a patient rebuild through the draft.  Winning games is not the goal in 2021.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  The for sign sale was put in the front yard.

But just as important, it was to tell the fans what the expectations should be for this team.  Most jet fans want to spend like drunken sailors in free agency, win 8 games next year and be stuck in mediocrity moving forward.

And that is not happening.  This will be a patient rebuild through the draft.  Winning games is not the goal in 2021.

And if you read into it you have to figure the offers thus far have been underwhelming.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ahh, yes, the 'rebuild' of the 'rebuild' of the 'rebuild'. Let's hope it all works out in 3 more years!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

In Summary:

If Joe Douglas is to be taken at his word:

1. The Jets believe Sam Darnold will be the QB next year but will listen to offers
  2. Want to sign Marcus Maye to a long term deal, recent tweets have no impact
  3. Build through the draft, supplement with free agents
  4. Not willing to trade a bunch of picks for one player (i.e. Weshaun Datson)

Let's be honest.  This is likely the reality.

Sam is not getting traded unless the Jets can get a haul of picks for him, and that's not likely going to happen.

Watson is a complete pipedream unless the Texans are willing to trade him for reasonable compensation (i.e. #2 overall and a 2022 second rounder).

I get the feeling that none of the quarterbacks in this draft (other than possibly Lawrence) are really wowing Douglas and the Jets.

The closer we get to the draft, the more I think Douglas is going one of two options: 1) trade down or 2) Penei Sewell.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, in summary, before the presser, half the board assumed Sam would be back and half the board assumed he would be traded.  Now, after the presser, it still sounds like half the board assumes Sam will be back and half the board assumes he will be traded.

Glad they clarified it for us, lol.

I mean another press conference and still no commitment to Darnold and the GM actually said he would entertain trade offers for Sam. 

If this was anyone else it would be no questions on what happens next 

• Upvote 1

Jets’ Joe Douglas says he’s open to trading Sam Darnold — and of course he should be

Updated 1:21 PM; Today 1:07 PM 
New York Jets defeat Cleveland Browns, Dec., 27, 2020

New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold could be traded. Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

Jets general manager Joe Douglas said last season that quarterback Sam Darnold was untouchable, in terms of another team trading for him. 

Douglas on Wednesday said that is no longer the case — and that he is willing to listen to trade offers for Darnold, who has mostly underwhelmed through three seasons. 

This is the first time Douglas has this directly stated his openness to dealing Darnold. Earlier this offseason, Douglas essentially said he was open to it — by being noncommittal when asked about Darnold’s status with the Jets for 2021. 

“I will answer the call if it’s made,” Douglas said of trade inquiries about Darnold.

And of course he should answer the call, because it sure looks like Darnold isn’t a franchise quarterback. Yet maybe Douglas can still get something from a quarterback-needy team for him this offseason. 

Sure, some of Darnold’s struggles over the past three seasons stem from a lackluster supporting cast and porous offensive line. Yes, Adam Gase’s inept coaching the past two seasons did little to help Darnold. 

But unless the Jets really think new coach Robert Saleh’s staff can magically fix Darnold in 2021 — the likely final year of his rookie contract — then at least listening to trade offers makes perfectly reasonable sense. Douglas would be foolish to not listen. 

Saleh brought in Mike LaFleur to be his offensive coordinator. So LaFleur must determine if Darnold can succeed in his Mike Shanahan-style West Coast offense. Darnold played in that offense as a rookie — with Jeremy Bates as his coordinator and position coach — and he did have some success in the scheme. But he wasn’t able to build on that from 2019-20. 

As for Darnold’s contract, Douglas likely won’t pick up his fifth-year option this offseason. The option — for 2022, at $18.7 million — is now fully guaranteed immediately, under the new collective bargaining agreement. That’s too much of an investment to make in Darnold, considering his lackluster track record. 

While saying Wednesday he is willing to listen to Darnold trade offers, Douglas also praised Darnold, because of course he did. It’s not like he’s going to say “we think this guy stinks,” because that wouldn’t do much to boost Darnold’s trade value, would it? 

“Sam is, we think, a dynamic player in this league, with unbelievable talent,” Douglas said. “He really has a chance to hit his outstanding potential moving forward. But if calls are made, I will answer them.” 

Douglas said he has “no hard timeline in the immediate future to make a decision” on whether Darnold might be traded. All indications point to Douglas entering free agency (which begins March 15) with plenty of quarterback uncertainty, since he probably won’t have a better handle on what he wants to do with the position until closer to the NFL Draft in late April.

21 minutes ago, Icer said:

JD is the master of saying nothing of value in these conferences and I love it. It's what a GM should do

If he told me the sky was blue I would have reservations

Right and there's no benefit to the GM giving real responses. Committing to clear direction lowers the value of his negotiation options.  I don't know why people get upset that nothing of substance has been said.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I mean another press conference and still no commitment to Darnold and the GM actually said he would entertain trade offers for Sam. 

If this was anyone else it would be no questions on what happens next 

What is the benefit of committing to Darnold right now?

He had a poor season in 2020, and a decision needs to be made on his 5th year option a few days after the draft.  The Jets are not going to "commit" to Darnold until after the first round of the draft is complete and a quarterback was not selected.  They are also not going to "uncommit" from Darnold until he is officially traded or a quarterback is selected in the first round.  A presser on March 3 literally means nothing.  This is the way businesses are run and position themselves for numerous options.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

What is the benefit of committing to Darnold right now?

He had a poor season in 2020, and a decision needs to be made on his 5th year option a few days after the draft.  The Jets are not going to "commit" to Darnold until after the first round of the draft is complete and a quarterback was not selected.  They are also not going to "uncommit" from Darnold until he is officially traded or a quarterback is selected in the first round.  A presser on March 3 literally means nothing.  This is the way businesses are run and position themselves for numerous options.

Umm this is not how the NFL historically operates, when there’s questions surrounding the starting QB, the GM / team always will step in front of it. If Sam was the guy it would’ve been at least announced today, with free agency right around the corner

• Thumb Down 1

36 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Right and there's no benefit to the GM giving real responses. Committing to clear direction lowers the value of his negotiation options.  I don't know why people get upset that nothing of substance has been said.

This is exactly right. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Umm this is not how the NFL historically operates, when there’s questions surrounding the starting QB, the GM / team always will step in front of it. If Sam was the guy it would’ve been at least announced today, with free agency right around the corner

The only thing that could be holding this off is the workouts and meet and greets with the QB's.

I suspect they like the QB they like - but aren't moving until they can meet the kid and see him in person - essentially due diligence at this point.  

My guess is Darnold gets moved very quickly after that.

They probably have an offer or two on the table for Sam, but will fish for more while they're waiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

We get it. Fans, especially New York fans, hate rebuilds. It would be a lot easier to just throw money at older free agents, deal picks for veterans, and be a competitive 9 or so win team now, rather than go through the pain of sucking while letting young players develop.

Truth is, Tannenbaum did it that way. It made the team competitive, but not a champion. Idzik and Maccagnan did not draft well enough for their "rebuilds" to have any steam.

We've never actually seen a rebuild where the Jets have a front office that can draft well.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This will be a patient rebuild through the draft.  Winning games is not the goal in 2021.

Let's all let Joe Douglas get away with that while running Adam Gase out of town for lack of "patience".  

Douglas inherited a team with more talent than the one he's presiding over now.  He took a team that finished a respectable 6-2 and made it worse.  Isn't it about time he made it better?

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2