Saleh Having a Press Conference Tomorrow AT 12:15

4 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

We get it. Fans, especially New York fans, hate rebuilds. It would be a lot easier to just throw money at older free agents, deal picks for veterans, and be a competitive 9 or so win team now, rather than go through the pain of sucking while letting young players develop.

Truth is, Tannenbaum did it that way. It made the team competitive, but not a champion. Idzik and Maccagnan did not draft well enough for their "rebuilds" to have any steam.

We've never actually seen a rebuild where the Jets have a front office that can draft well.

If Sam Darnold were performing the way the experts thought he would, we would be 3 years ahead of the rebuild.  Because he sucks, we suck.  Or maybe he's great but didn't have any coaching or weapons.  But the last two years of Joe Douglas never happened, you see.  He gets to hide behind a cloaking device.

SAR I

1 minute ago, thebuzzardman said:

Did we trade for DeShaun yet? 

7bd1e2a81cc8b8714d9ff2be93081dd4.jpg

"We are rebuilding through the draft.  Doesn't get any better than that.  Look at our draft capital.  We lead the league in cap drafital.  Drafp catinal.  Whatever.  We believe in Sam, we are committed to Sam, we are taking phone calls for Sam, it's Sam's team."

--Joe Douglas

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Umm this is not how the NFL historically operates, when there’s questions surrounding the starting QB, the GM / team always will step in front of it. If Sam was the guy it would’ve been at least announced today, with free agency right around the corner

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I would argue that GMs and teams with a wide range of options do not typically show their hands prior to free agency and the draft.  I truly believe all options are still on the table: trade Darnold if they get a good offer, use Darnold as a bridge quarterback if they draft a rookie quarterback in round 1, or exercise Darnold's fifth year option and try to build the team around him.

In none of these scenarios does publicly announcing the plan on March 3 benefit the Jets.  They will continue to have a non-committal position publicly, and they will let their actions in the trade market, free agency, and draft do the talking.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I would argue that GMs and teams with a wide range of options do not typically show their hands prior to free agency and the draft.  I truly believe all options are still on the table: trade Darnold if they get a good offer, use Darnold as a bridge quarterback if they draft a rookie quarterback in round 1, or exercise Darnold's fifth year option and try to build the team around him.

In none of these scenarios does publicly announcing the plan on March 3 benefit the Jets.  They will continue to have a non-committal position publicly, and they will let their actions in the trade market, free agency, and draft do the talking.

GM last year:” Sam is untouchable “

GM this year : “I will listen to offers” 

???

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Sam Darnold were performing the way the experts thought he would, we would be 3 years ahead of the rebuild.  Because he sucks, we suck.  Or maybe he's great but didn't have any coaching or weapons.  But the last two years of Joe Douglas never happened, you see.  He gets to hide behind a cloaking device.

SAR I

He had one full offseason and one draft, so I'm not sure talking about the "last two years of Joe Douglas" is necessarily fair to him.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Correct SAR.  This rebuild was delayed because you could not fairly evaluate Sam in the mono season.  Joe needed to give him all of last year to see what he had.

Now that he knows unequivically that Sam is not the guy, he can begin to build from the ground up.

This is exciting that we are doing this the right way.  This is going to lead to long term success.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

He had one full offseason and one draft, so I'm not sure talking about the "last two years of Joe Douglas" is necessarily fair to him.

He was able to make some moves in Year 1.  In Year 2 he had complete control of the draft and FA and the team got worse, not better.

I'm all for building through the draft but I'm also for building through free agency and I'm not seeing much.  And whenever I've said "it's a 5 year rebuild" I'm reminded that many teams turned around in 2 or 3 years.  This is Year 3.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Joe could not make moves until he knew what he had a qb.  If you spend like a drunken sailor in free agency and Sam sucks, now ur really screwed.

Joe Douglas is putting on a clinic of how to take over a bad team, evaluate that team, realize there is not enough talent to patch work fix this and decide to start from the ground up.

We are lucky our owners are giving him the time to do this.  This is the best position the jets have been in since parcells.  

Sit back and watch the rebuild clinic Douglas is about to put on.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He was able to make some moves in Year 1.  In Year 2 he had complete control of the draft and FA and the team got worse, not better.

I'm all for building through the draft but I'm also for building through free agency and I'm not seeing much.  And whenever I've said "it's a 5 year rebuild" I'm reminded that many teams turned around in 2 or 3 years.  This is Year 3.

SAR I

Again SAR, you cant make any big time moves until you are 100% of the qb position.  Right now is the 1st time since he got here that joe Douglas is 100% sure of his qb position.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Again SAR, you cant make any big time moves until you are 100% of the qb position.  Right now is the 1st time since he got here that joe Douglas is 100% sure of his qb position.

Why did he draft James Morgan. 

Why didn't James Morgan see a snap in a 2-14 season. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Why did he draft James Morgan. 

Why didn't James Morgan see a snap in a 2-14 season. 

Because Morgan was a project pick that had zero camp to become acclimated to the NFL.  He may have plans for morgan.  None of us know anything about Morgan or what joe's plans are for him.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

GM last year:” Sam is untouchable “

GM this year : “I will listen to offers” 

???

He played poorly last year, and he's one year closer to contract expiration.  Positions and opinions change quickly and often in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Joe was very direct in his response  to Sam Darnold trade scenarios.  "I will listen to offers".  "I will take the call".   He would not say this if he was 100% sold on Sam so I feel Joe is  leaning towards trading him.  

Sam Darnold is in a hostile work environment and these comments will effect his game performance if he stays now. 

They have no choice but to trade him. 

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

At least he ditched that bum coach. Good start. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

At least he ditched that bum coach. Good start. 

Bowing to fan pressure, not good.  Taking a 6-2 team and turning into 2-14, not good.  Having a draft class that has produced one dominant player, not good.  But let's give this guy a free pass mmm k?

You geniuses called for Gase's firing after 4 weeks.  What, Joe gets 4 years?  Joe Douglas had better have a strong March and April or its time to whip out the planes and the billboards.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bowing to fan pressure, not good.  Taking a 6-2 team and turning into 2-14, not good.  Having a draft class that has produced one dominant player, not good.  But let's give this guy a free pass mmm k?

You geniuses called for Gase's firing after 4 weeks.  What, Joe gets 4 years?  Joe Douglas had better have a strong March and April or its time to whip out the planes and the billboards.

SAR I

What is your definition of a strong March/April?  If its spending like a drunken sailor in free agency, then u will be disappointed.

My definition of a strong March/April is find players in the draft that can be long term play makers in Jet uniforms.  Thats it.

If we finish 4-12 but the young kids are competitive and show promise, it was an amazing March/April.

And now we have another draft of high picks in each round to find more talent.

I can see whats happening here.  Jet fans desperately want Tuney, Allen Robinson, finish 8-8 and be strapped for cash moving forward.  Same thing we always.  And then complain about why we always suck. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The key difference is that we knew Adam Gase sucked before he was even hired. He stunk the joint up for a division rival, alienated star players, gave weird press conferences and tried unsuccessfully to implement Peyton Manning's offense for three years before he arrived.

Douglas came with the type of pedigree the Jets never land. The honeymoon will end if the Jets continue to stink, but the guy is well respected and probably had the best Jets draft (not saying much) in a decade in his first attempt.

He's had one offseason. This one is huge for him. Let's see what he does.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The key difference is that we knew Adam Gase sucked before he was even hired. He stunk the joint up for a division rival, alienated star players, gave weird press conferences and tried unsuccessfully to implement Peyton Manning's offense for three years before he arrived.

Douglas came with the type of pedigree the Jets never land. The honeymoon will end if the Jets continue to stink, but the guy is well respected and probably had the best Jets draft (not saying much) in a decade in his first attempt.

He's had one offseason. This one is huge for him. Let's see what he does.

you know what is gong to happen.  He is going to find good, young talent in the draft but the jets wont win many games next year.  And then 80% of this board will be whining about Douglas and Saleh.  

And then 3 yeas down the road, when they jets are a top team and it is sustainable, dumb jet fans will claim they were onboard all along.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Let's be honest.  This is likely the reality.

Sam is not getting traded unless the Jets can get a haul of picks for him, and that's not likely going to happen.

Watson is a complete pipedream unless the Texans are willing to trade him for reasonable compensation (i.e. #2 overall and a 2022 second rounder).

I get the feeling that none of the quarterbacks in this draft (other than possibly Lawrence) are really wowing Douglas and the Jets.

The closer we get to the draft, the more I think Douglas is going one of two options: 1) trade down or 2) Penei Sewell.

Not sure where most of this come from.  ONE pick would do it for Darnold.  In what fantasy world would they get a haul?

I agree that Watson is unlikely and Houston will not take any one and two.

How could you possibly know who is "wowing" the Jets this year?  There wasn't a single leak last year.  I'd be surprised if Mrs. Douglas knows anything.

I think they are going to draft a QB, probably Wilson.  You don't get to pick 2 all that often.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Since Eric Gelfand came on board the Jets don't live stream their GM press conferences unless it is required. Expect the video to be posted later.

Good catch, I didn't realize that.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

It depends on how bad the previous GM left it.

When you have to jettison multiple bad contracts, and the team sits on 40 million in dead cap space it makes the rebuild kind of slower.  This year there had better be improvement, and next year more so.  Even this year, the team is sitting on 20 million dead cap space from Macc.   That still over 10% of the total cap space for the team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas has to set the jets up for long term success.  He doesnt care what bozo jet fans believe or not.

Imagine if there were 2 examples in this division of teams going from bad to relevant in 1 off season. 

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Imagine if there were 2 examples in this division of teams going from bad to relevant in 1 off season. 

Thats not the point.  The Jets numerous times have gone from bad to relevant in 1 offseason.  Anyone gm w/ a check book can do that.

What is it about "long term success" do jet fans not understand?

This is month one of a ground up rebuild.  Be prepared for the most awesome 4-12 season imaginable!!!!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not sure where most of this come from.  ONE pick would do it for Darnold.  In what fantasy world would they get a haul?

I agree that Watson is unlikely and Houston will not take any one and two.

How could you possibly know who is "wowing" the Jets this year?  There wasn't a single leak last year.  I'd be surprised if Mrs. Douglas knows anything.

I think they are going to draft a QB, probably Wilson.  You don't get to pick 2 all that often.

It could be a first, two 2s, or a 2 and a 3. Who knows? I don't think they are trading him for a single pick unless it's a first rounder. If they were, it would have happened already.

I specifically said "I get the feeling." It's just speculation. They very well could be wowed by one of the draft prospects. I'm not claiming to know.

• Upvote 1