Saleh Having a Press Conference Tomorrow AT 12:15

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let's all let Joe Douglas get away with that while running Adam Gase out of town for lack of "patience".  

Douglas inherited a team with more talent than the one he's presiding over now.  He took a team that finished a respectable 6-2 and made it worse.  Isn't it about time he made it better?

SAR I

Hey, you're back lol...

So in reality, it took Douglas to do what he had to do, because he saw the moronic behavior and non talent of GASE, and knew if he wanted to stay with the JETS it would require getting rid of the SCHMUK... sorry I probably spelled that wrong.

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Hey, you're back lol...

So in reality, it took Douglas to do what he had to do, because he saw the moronic behavior and non talent of GASE, and knew if he wanted to stay with the JETS it would require getting rid of the SCHMUK... sorry I probably spelled that wrong.

I don't care about Gase.  He was awful.

What I care about is Douglas.  He looks awful too.  Purge all the Maccangan salary you like, that's fine, that makes sense.  But improve the team at the same time.  He sold off or released players and all I see in return is an oft-injured tackle and an oft-injured wide receiver.  We've got 27 players on expiring 1-year deals.  He'd better have a kick ass March/April.  Otherwise, get the airplanes and billboards ready.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What I care about is Douglas.  He looks awful too.  Purge all the Maccangan salary you like, that's fine, that makes sense.  But improve the team at the same time.  He sold off or released players and all I see in return is an oft-injured tackle and an oft-injured wide receiver.  We've got 27 players on expiring 1-year deals.  He'd better have a kick ass March/April.  Otherwise, get the airplanes and billboards ready.  

SAR I

This is like when Andre was given a small trophy for being undefeated and the following week, Hogan got the huge trophy for being champ for 3 years.

The heel turn is coming.  SAR is at his best when he is a heel so this is awesome!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

He seemed to get five starters out of that draft (Becton, Mimms, Davis, Hall and Mann) and (miraculously) two firsts for Jamalcontent.  It could still go either way bit I'd say overall he is doing great.  Really depends on how this draft turns out.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

He seemed to get five starters out of that draft (Becton, Mimms, Davis, Hall and Mann) and (miraculously) two firsts for Jamalcontent.  It could still go either way bit I'd say overall he is doing great.  Really depends on how this draft turns out.

Joe Douglas is putting on a GMing clinic.  Jet fans cant see it because they do not know what it looks like.

Jet fans have no concept of what a true rebuild is nor do they seem capable of realizing that winning games is not what is important right now.

So there is going to be alot of whining from the uneducated for the next year or 2, but that will eventually subside when the jets are one of the top teams in the AFC and are built for long term, sustainable success.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is like when Andre was given a small trophy for being undefeated and the following week, Hogan got the huge trophy for being champ for 3 years.

The heel turn is coming.  SAR is at his best when he is a heel so this is awesome!

I don't watch wrestling so I have no idea what that reference means.

So far, Joe Douglas looks like he can negotiate trades and woo coaches but doesn't draft players or recruit FA's any better than Mike Maccgnan.  Taking the best T and best WR available is not exactly rocket science.  Since his arrival, Sam Darnold has regressed, our best players demanded trades or opt-outs, our DC declared open rebellion, and our HC threw in the towel.  None of this is good.

May 1.  Either the NFL is raving about how great Joe Douglas did in March/April or its time to buy firejoedouglas.com

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

If one looks only at trade value, Douglas had a good 2020.

But in the end, he took a roster that finished a respectable 6-2 and made it worse.  CJ Mosley, Robbie Anderson, and Jamal Adams were far better than the nobodies that replaced them.  I get that Maccagnan left us a mess and it needed to be cleaned up.  But if we deliberately took steps backwards last year to get positioned for this year, I'd better see some results this year.

Yesterday's presser sounded like All Brake No Gas.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Just now, SAR I said:

But in the end, he took a roster that finished a respectable 6-2 and made it worse.  CJ Mosley, Robbie Anderson, and Jamal Adams were far better than the nobodies that replaced them.  I get that Maccagnan left us a mess and it needed to be cleaned up.  But if we deliberately took steps backwards last year to get positioned for this year, I'd better see some results this year.

SAR I

Its actually "All build, no wins".  That is our strategy for the upcoming year.  We need a young, competitive hungry team that fights hard but loses games.  One more draft next year of high picks and then we strike in free agency.

Its rebuilding 101 guys.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You can't assign any blame to JD for Mosley.  That wasn't his signing and COVID wasn't in his control.  And to be honest, you can't just 'replace' Mosley at the last minute with available FAs.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its actually "All build, no wins".  That is our strategy for the upcoming year.  We need a young, competitive hungry team that fights hard but loses games.  One more draft next year of high picks and then we strike in free agency.

Its rebuilding 101 guys.

Ah, so Joe Douglas gets 4 years before being judged and Adam Gase gets 4 games.

Considering how much more damage a GM can create than a HC, that's one strange set of standards you have there.

It's scapegoating 101 guys.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You can't assign any blame to JD for Mosley.  That wasn't his signing and COVID wasn't in his control.  And to be honest, you can't just 'replace' Mosley at the last minute with available FAs.

Only a handful of players opted out across the league, most being dedicated enough to take the risk and/or believing that their organizations would keep them safe.  I have difficulty thinking that Mosely opted out specifically because of health concerns and not because he wasn't bought-in to what Douglas was doing.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ah, so Joe Douglas gets 4 years before being judged and Adam Gase gets 4 games.

Considering how much more damage a GM can create than a HC, that's one strange set of standards you have there.

It's scapegoating 101 guys.

SAR I

Comparing a up and coming, well respected gm and an awful, veteran, proven failure head coach is not apples to apples dude.

Its a lazy comparison on your part.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Comparing a up and coming, well respected gm and an awful, veteran, proven failure head coach is not apples to apples dude.

Its a lazy comparison on your part.

The two are independent.  Gase sucked.  Glad we've seemingly upgraded.

Maccagnan came in here preaching the same thing about a rebuild.  He axed a bunch of salary.  He drafted well in the first round.  He wooed some nice free agents.

This March/April means everything for Joe Douglas.  If he strikes out in FA its not because of rebuilding.  It's because he isn't good.  And if the Dolphins get Watson?  Forget it.

SAR I

Douglas did the smart thing last season, he purging all of the dead weight that Mac brought in.  He has now hired a competent HC set us up with $80M in cap space and 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Also started to bring talent in with Becton and Mims.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Maccagnan came in here preaching the same thing about a rebuild.  He axed a bunch of salary.  He drafted well in the first round.  He wooed some nice free agents.

This March/April means everything for Joe Douglas.  If he strikes out in FA its not because of rebuilding.  It's because he isn't good.  And if the Dolphins get Watson?  Forget it.

SAR I

Striking out means he tried to get free agents and couldnt.  Douglas is going to avoid spending big money in free agency cause our team is not ready for it yet.

Thats not striking out.

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And SAR, anyone can strike in free agency if they have an open check book.  Tannenbaum and mccagnan won free agency a few times.  It takes no skill to make players the highest paid players at their respective positions.  

Winning in free agency means pouncing when your team is ready for it and structuring the contracts that they do not cripple your team in the future.

Wildly overspending in free agency is not a sign you had a successful offseason.  Thats not happening this offseason and that does not mean Douglas has failed in free agency.

its mind boggling that people want to spend like drunken sailors, win 8 games and be the same jets we always are.

Its really unbelievable that is what fans want.

In 2020, JD cleared out the roster and traded his best player for future draft picks.  The year before he traded Leo.  Those are moves a team makes that does not have a QB yet.  

In 2020, JD for the most part signed FAs to fill spots so the team would not embarrass himself and not necessarily with the view to build a team.  The team still embarrassed itself and was worse than 2019.   That being said, there were not alot of opportunities to do better in FA.  The Browns, with a QB drafted the same year, signed Conklin for reasonable money to a medium term deal.  Conklin will be on the Browns in 2021 and 2022.   If the Jets wanted to give Darnold a fighting chance next year, or potentially build for the next QB, they would have been more aggressive with Conklin and Robby Anderson.  He had the chance to sign Robby before his contract expired.  

In the draft, I am going to ignore the 4th round and below picks, and Mann and Hall were good ones.  One could argue that some combination of Wirfs, Claypool, Damien Lewis, Lloyd Cushenberry, Bryan Edwards, Solomon Kindley and Anthony McFarland could have been better than what JD walked away with, if the focus was building an offense to support Darnold or the next QB.  I think the two LSU linemen were big misses, and we are basically filling those slots this year too and wasted alot of money on Lewis and Van Roten and maybe McGovern.   Most of the above players were on the PFWA All-Rookie Team, in addition to James Robinson and Michael Onwenu who were also missed.  

Quite frankly, other than fleecing Seattle and the Giants in two trades, and locking up an average C even though they could have drafted Biadasz and Cushenberry (which was alot better than Mac did), JD did not do much in his first 1.5 years.   I would feel alot better if the Jets had a lockdown G for the next three years in exchange for Leo, who was getting paid too much money, than still trying to figure out Ashtyn Davis, who at this point was overdrafted.  

This team has to look this year like it is building upward and moving forward.  2019 was basically a JD pass, and 2020 he moved sideways and learned a little I hope.   JD gets a headstart if his 2020 draft picks show up in shape and engaged.  

JD is in the spotlight now. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Striking out means he tried to get free agents and couldnt.  Douglas is going to avoid spending big money in free agency cause our team is not ready for it yet.

Thats not striking out.

The roster purge started in Bowles last season and has continued through the entire Gase regime.  At some point Douglas has to stop purging and start building.  

May 1, 2021.  That's the go/no-go date for the billboards and the planes.  Douglas is on the hot seat.  Gase got 4 games.  We're not giving Douglas 4 years.

SAR I

And SAR, anyone can strike in free agency if they have an open check book.  Tannenbaum and mccagnan won free agency a few times.  It takes no skill to make players the highest paid players at their respective positions.  

Winning in free agency means pouncing when your team is ready for it and structuring the contracts that they do not cripple your team in the future.

Wildly overspending in free agency is not a sign you had a successful offseason.  Thats not happening this offseason and that does not mean Douglas has failed in free agency.

its mind boggling that people want to spend like drunken sailors, win 8 games and be the same jets we always are.

Its really unbelievable that is what fans want.

I do not want to spend like drunken sailors.

Crowder was a great free agent pickup.  Right price, outplayed his contract, high character, great teammate, busted his ass, makes fantastic plays.  Go Douglas.  Problem is, he needs to do that 25 more times and he's 1-for-10 so far.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

7bd1e2a81cc8b8714d9ff2be93081dd4.jpg

"We are rebuilding through the draft.  Doesn't get any better than that.  Look at our draft capital.  We lead the league in cap drafital.  Drafp catinal.  Whatever.  We believe in Sam, we are committed to Sam, we are taking phone calls for Sam, it's Sam's team."

--Joe Douglas

The resemblance is uncanny.  :-)

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, jeremy2020 said:

Ahh, yes, the 'rebuild' of the 'rebuild' of the 'rebuild'. Let's hope it all works out in 3 more years!

You got that right. We’ve been in about a 9 year rebuild. Ah....what’s 3 more years

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don't watch wrestling so I have no idea what that reference means.

So far, Joe Douglas looks like he can negotiate trades and woo coaches but doesn't draft players or recruit FA's any better than Mike Maccgnan.  Taking the best T and best WR available is not exactly rocket science.  Since his arrival, Sam Darnold has regressed, our best players demanded trades or opt-outs, our DC declared open rebellion, and our HC threw in the towel.  None of this is good.

May 1.  Either the NFL is raving about how great Joe Douglas did in March/April or its time to buy firejoedouglas.com

SAR I

Anyone who makes blanket statements about draft picks if less that a full year, one season under their belts.  A season without OTAs, real camps, preseason games has no idea of what they are talking about or are just trolling looking for responses 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone who makes blanket statements about draft picks if less that a full year, one season under their belts.  A season without OTAs, real camps, preseason games has no idea of what they are talking about or are just trolling looking for responses 

2-14 record is a reflection of the roster built by the GM. 

Other factors are in play here but the GM needs to be part of the blame. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whatever you say Fire Adam Gase after Week 4 hypocrite.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

This.

List all the players Douglas has cut or traded.  Then list all the players Douglas has obtained.  He's 2-14 on his moves, no different than he's 2-14 on his record.

Joe Douglas may turn out to be a great GM.  Right now?  No way.  Other NFL teams in similar shape have been turned around faster than this.  We have the worst roster in the league.  It wasn't that way when he was hired.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

List all the players Douglas has cut or traded.  Then list all the players Douglas has obtained.  He's 2-14 on his moves, no different than he's 2-14 on his record.

Joe Douglas may turn out to be a great GM.  Right now?  No way.  Other NFL teams in similar shape have been turned around faster than this.  We have the worst roster in the league.  It wasn't that way when he was hired.

SAR I

Of course.  its beneficial to have the worst roster in the league when you are in month 1 of your rebuild.  Why is this hard to understand?

This roster sucks because douglas wants it to suck.  This is a true rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Why do I have to keep saying this?

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course.  its beneficial to have the worst roster in the league when you are in month 1 of your rebuild.  Why is this hard to understand?

This roster sucks because douglas wants it to suck.  This is a true rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Why do I have to keep saying this?

Don't you try and improve the roster as you go along. 

Why didn't JD make an offer for WR DeAndre Hopkins great player to build a team around who would benefit any QB you drag in here. 

There were other players who were had cheap we had the money and the draft capital. 

Nothing was done and now all of a sudden we are going to fill all the needs in 1 off season. 

The rebuild that never ends NY Jets. 

I agreed with you!  In 2017!  "Suck for Sam", remember?

We've been "really rebuilding" since Bowles' last season.  Then Douglas came onboard.  And we're still rebuilding!  Great way to keep your job!  Just keep "really rebuilding this time".  I wait for the day that Douglas actually signs a Jet as, you know, a sign that we're coming out of this "really rebuilding now trust me" this time.

SAR I

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The GM is blowing up the team in order to reset and rebuild the team

Anyone should be able to see it and have the patience to see the plan through 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Whatever you say Fire Adam Gase after Week 4 hypocrite.

SAR I

Wanting Gase fired after 4 weeks was 4 weeks too many.  And has nothing to do with JDF, stop bringing your man crush up every time we talk Douglas.  They're on two distinctly different levels.  Why do you feel the need to bring Gase up, didnt anyone ask about that loser?  

Better than being the board troll or whatever youre trying to be this week.  

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I agreed with you!  In 2017!  "Suck for Sam", remember?

We've been "really rebuilding" since Bowles' last season.  Then Douglas came onboard.  And we're still rebuilding!  Great way to keep your job!  Just keep "really rebuilding this time".  I wait for the day that Douglas actually signs a Jet as, you know, a sign that we're coming out of this "really rebuilding now trust me" this time.

SAR I

Again, u cant make decisions until u know what u have at qb.  That could not be figured out until this past season.  If the Jets had hopkins and all these free agents u wanted, they have 8 wins, no qb and no opportunity to get a qb.

Because Douglas is smart and structured the roster a certain way: he can now do 2 things:

1- get his qb elite playmakers at the top of the draft.  Unfortunately, since Darnold blows, this didnt pan out.

2- so option 2 now has to take place.  You take an elite qb oprospect at 2.

Joe Douglas played this perfectly.

But Jets fans are dumb and are mad we dont have high priced free agents, an 8 win team in no mans land, no qb and no opportunity to get a qb.