Marcus Maye’s Agent Takes to Twitter to rip Gang Green

Marcus Maye

While it has been reported that the New York Jets are expected to apply the franchise tag to safety Marcus Maye, it seems his agent is none to happy about the plan.

…Yet refuse to take care of their best player, Captain, & team-voted MVP in his prime who had several All-Pro votes…and who played out his entire rookie deal and even changed positions on his contract year (after they got rid of last yrs All-Pro safety). ✌?

— Erik Burkhardt (@ErikBurkhardt) March 3, 2021

Erik Burkhardt, who works for Maye’s select sports, replied to a tweet from Field Yates that outlined the Jets ability to acquire premium talent this offseason and he didn’t seem to be the least bit happy.

The Jets, according to Burkhardt “refuse to take care of their best player (Maye), captain & team-voted MVP in his prime who had several All-Pro votes…and who played out his entire rookie deal and even changed positions on his contract year (after they got rid of last yrs All-Pro safety), before signing off with the most professional “peace” emoji you’ve ever seen.

A few things here. Maye is a nice player and the Jets should look to retain him, but he’s not the best player on a 2-14 team.  He’s a solid citizen and a guy who has proven a lot of doubters wrong by playing in 32 of 32 games since missing 10 contests a few seasons ago.  That being said, choosing to negotiate via twitter tantrum probably isn’t the best idea for Mayes reps.

The post Marcus Maye’s Agent Takes to Twitter to rip Gang Green appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/rUtfunp4cLk

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The days of the Jets paying good players at non premium positions great money are over.

Out with the McCagnan!!!!!!!  Adios Marcus Maye.

Yea! We will win with guys like cager catching the ball, Perrine running, and guys I don’t know playing in the secondary! Adios talent!! Who needs you!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Yea! We will win with guys like cager catching the ball, Perrine running, and guys I don’t know playing in the secondary! Adios talent!! Who needs you!!!

Winning is not the goal this year.  Building the foundation for long term success is.  This is year 1 of a complete rebuild.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

We're in the end times when agents are taking to twitter. Even I know it's a bad idea. Just STFU and do your job. I like Maye and wanted him back more before a tweet. At least we're not negotiating through TikTok yet. Thank God Jamal didn't figure that out

Edit: If I ever get fired for a social media presence it'll be Max selling my identity here. Yes I'm banned on Youtube and twitter with burner accounts but never did facebook or any of the other crap. I saw it as insane from the beginning and I didn't even foresee how bad it would get. You gotta be a GD tard to put out anything now not knowing what the purity test will be in 10 years and this dude from the agency is shoving it in out face today? He's YOLOing on us

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

At least we're not negotiating through TikTok yet. 

TELL ME YOUR CLIENT IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM; WITHOUT TELLING ME YOUR CLIENT IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

TELL ME YOUR CLIENT IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM; WITHOUT TELLING ME YOUR CLIENT IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM.

I don't know who the best player on this team is. It might even be Crowder given the sh*t he's played with on offense I can give you a dance though

Tik Tok Mason GIF by Comments By Celebs

48 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You should tweet this out.

I actually tried to join twitter at one point. Before I even signed on once it said my account was locked and they wanted me to provide my phone number to unlock it.  My tweeting career ended before it started.

55 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t understand when they get mad for getting tagged. They’re getting top 5 money, he’s still a young guy, and will still most likely get a contract after this year. Kirk Cousins made like a billion dollars getting tagged twice and then receiving his guaranteed contract. 

Yes, they are getting top 5 money, but many players would make even more money yearly on an open market. Maye is very likely to make more than the projected tag of 10-11 mil on an open market. Also Maye isn't young. He will be 29 in 2022 when the tag expires. His chances of getting a good deal after that is low.

If you applied this logic to any other job, you would be singing a different tune. Imagine if you were elite at your job, and companies were willing to pay a premimum for your services for several years. Instead of being able to look at what these jobs are offering, your current job forces you take 10-20% less money, with no long term security. 

Also Kirk Cousins is the exception to the rule. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

Yes, they are getting top 5 money, but many players would make even more money yearly on an open market. Maye is very likely to make more than the projected tag of 10-11 mil on an open market. Also Maye isn't young. He will be 29 in 2022 when the tag expires. His chances of getting a good deal after that is low.

If you applied this logic to any other job, you would be singing a different tune. Imagine if you were elite at your job, and companies were willing to pay a premimum for your services for several years. Instead of being able to look at what these jobs are offering, your current job forces you take 10-20% less money, with no long term security. 

Also Kirk Cousins is the exception to the rule. 

I don’t think this is the case with Maye. He’s good, but isn’t a top 15 safety. He wasn’t going to set the safety market in an offseason with a decreasing cap. I understand he wants a long term deal, and he might get one, but it has to be set value based on the cap this year. Douglas has way more leverage than he would with a free agent on the open market. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

I don’t think this is the case with Maye. He’s good, but isn’t a top 15 safety. He wasn’t going to set the safety market in an offseason with a decreasing cap. I understand he wants a long term deal, and he might get one, but it has to be set value based on the cap this year. Douglas has way more leverage than he would with a free agent on the open market. 

That is not how the market works. 

If he was content with the tag, you wouldn't be getting tweets from his agent saying he isn't being taken care of. Clearly he and his agent think they can get far more money and security on the open market.

1 hour ago, HamBilly said:

So this is two years in a row where Joe Douglas' negotiations have gone sour, for whatever reason.

If he just doesn't want to pay non-premium positions, I can understand, but this isn't a good look.

Eh?  Sour?  You pay guys that are really good and difference makers, the jets currently have none.

I'm not sure what Maye excepts at this point in time.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

That is not how the market works. 

If he was content with the tag, you wouldn't be getting tweets from his agent saying he isn't being taken care of. Clearly he and his agent think they can get far more money and security on the open market.

If that is the case, catch ya later Maye.

• Upvote 1