Marcus Maye’s Agent Takes to Twitter to rip Gang Green

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I’d pay him, assuming the parameters of a long term deal aren’t crazy. 

The guy was voted team MVP — you can’t preach about building “the best culture in sports” and constantly have homegrown players leaving because you won’t pay them.

That really means nothing on the Jets at this point.  One of the worst teams in recent history talent wise tip to bottom so an average safety gets named mvp.

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets make a living off the space between the cap floor and the cash spend. Right now it's like 80 million dollars to the cap, and 60 to the floor 

This team does not exist to win games. It keeps the lights on long enough to get paid. 

As for Marcus maye I don't believe he's a franchise player. But they will use the tag to avoid giving him long term security. This is why no one wants to play for the Jets btw they treat their team mvps like crap and some fans like Tom Shane think that's awesome 

What player should they have paid that they chose not to pay? Because I have a giant list of players they paid at a premium whom they never should have paid.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What player should they have paid that they chose not to pay? Because I have a giant list of players they paid at a premium whom they never should have paid.

I told you this already. Letting Robby Anderson go in favor of cap space was unforgivable 

9 hours ago, HamBilly said:

That is not how the market works. 

If he was content with the tag, you wouldn't be getting tweets from his agent saying he isn't being taken care of. Clearly he and his agent think they can get far more money and security on the open market.

His agent’s tweets and him being content w the tag don’t determine what his value is on the open market. Where do you think maye ranks among league safeties? What about just free agent safeties this offseason? Now with the cap going down unexpectedly, what is a comparable contract for a safety that you think maye deserves? How do you know Douglas hasn’t offered him a similar deal?

I don't think anyone doesn't want to pay him.
It is always a matter of what he wants vs. what Joe D feels he is worth.  As has been said, he can be franchised twice for 2 years, 24 million.  Given that, why would you sign him for a deal averaging 14-15 million per year?
Assuming they will spend money and not have $80M in cap space every year, they may want to pay more AAV than the tag number to bring the cap number down. The tag number may go up too with all of the quality safeties hitting FA this year.
That really means nothing on the Jets at this point.  One of the worst teams in recent history talent wise tip to bottom so an average safety gets named mvp.
Culture-wise, I think its more the fact that he's the guy his teammates voted for than 'he's the best of the worst'.

Maye is a good player and I was all for keeping him when I thought you could re-sign him for between $8-10 million a year.

But the $14-15 million a year that is being tossed around by multiple media outlets?

I’m sorry, but the guy doesn’t deserve that. He’s already pushing 30 and has a few games every year where he’s outright terrible and a total liability. Look no further than the game against Oakland last season. Darren Waller sh*t all over him repeatedly and there were times when it looked like Maye was giving piss poor effort (especially on Waller’s 2nd TD).

Slap the tag on him and either eventually sign him to a reasonable deal or hell, trade him to some dipsh*t team who will make him one of the Top 3 highest paid safeties in the league.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I told you this already. Letting Robby Anderson go in favor of cap space was unforgivable 

so Joe D should be fired for this?  no good GM has ever made a mistake?  wasn't the best move but would of not made much difference.  If he doesn't learn from his 1st offseason then I agree he might not be the man for the job

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rob Anderson is making $8 million dollars this year, on a one year deal. 

He's also top 5 in yards on that deal. The jets are Frugal to the point of Incompetence. 

How about Jason Myers? Pure cheapness and they still don't have a reliable pk. The vedvik signing literally cost them week 1 2019. Cheap. 

There are countless examples. Adam gase himself was a bargain hc. 

6 minutes ago, jbt said:

so Joe D should be fired for this?  no good GM has ever made a mistake?  wasn't the best move but would of not made much difference.  If he doesn't learn from his 1st offseason then I agree he might not be the man for the job

It's not all jds fault that the Johnsons don't let him spend. This is the job. They've been starving the beast since late Rex Ryan. Jd is a dummy for spending robby money on George Fant tho. Or extending Ryan griffin. Perriman. Jd free agents and general roster management has been garbage so far. 

11 hours ago, HamBilly said:

So this is two years in a row where Joe Douglas' negotiations have gone sour, for whatever reason.

If he just doesn't want to pay non-premium positions, I can understand, but this isn't a good look.

Those "sour negotiations" got us two 1sts and a 3rd for the most overrated player in the game.

Would you prefer Douglas go with the Maccagnan approach, where you negotiate against yourself and massively overpay players compared to their actual market value?  That worked out swell.  

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

False. Griffin was not overpaid, and the Jets only signed Perriman to a 1 year deal. Most of his free agents may not have been elite/great, but they weren't terrible. 

lol they paid griffin 4 million guaranteed dude had under 100 yards for the season-yeah he was a real steal there

Perriman got 6.5 + 3 million dollar signing bonus

his free agents were terrible

he was gm of the worst jets team I have ever seen and the team got much worse on his watch

this is a make or break draft and offseason for him-if he cant nail the draft and get a real FA to come here he is not different than those that failed before him

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I’d pay him, assuming the parameters of a long term deal aren’t crazy. 

The guy was voted team MVP — you can’t preach about building “the best culture in sports” and constantly have homegrown players leaving because you won’t pay them.

Joe Douglas didn't draft Marcus Maye (and likely never would have) and has no obligation to sign players just to sign them.  Maye is a nice player but he's no superstar, is pretty replaceable, and at his age certainly would be a poor gamble on a 4+ year deal. 

I'm sure when Quinnen Williams and Becton's deals are coming up they'll get paid nicely.  Maye isn't in that category.  It's not enough just to be homegrown.  You have to be worth the coin. 

It's not Douglas' fault that the team lacks homegrown players worthy of 2nd contracts.  Some of the better players on this team the last decade wouldn't even start for many teams.  Leonard Williams just had a nice season, but even the Giants are hesitant to hand him a long-term deal.  Robby Anderson has 1 year left in Carolina and will likely head to his 3rd team afterwards.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those "sour negotiations" got us two 1sts and a 3rd for the most overrated player in the game.

Would you prefer Douglas go with the Maccagnan approach, where you negotiate against yourself and massively overpay players compared to their actual market value?  That worked out swell.  

The Jets trading these guys sends a message. The jets not paying maye sends a message too. Guys like Bell, mcclendon played in the super bowl, Avery Williamson and Jamal went to much better franchises...

The message is if you play well you can escape this hell hole and maybe get paid. the Jets are not going to pay you. But good luck in your future endeavors. 

It's not a great way to build a program. It's a garbage vibe in the locker room. Jd is so focused on draft picks because those players don't get to choose where they play. 

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Maye is a good player and I was all for keeping him when I thought you could re-sign him for between $8-10 million a year.

But the $14-15 million a year that is being tossed around by multiple media outlets?

I’m sorry, but the guy doesn’t deserve that. He’s already pushing 30 and has a few games every year where he’s outright terrible and a total liability. Look no further than the game against Oakland last season. Darren Waller sh*t all over him repeatedly and there were times when it looked like Maye was giving piss poor effort (especially on Waller’s 2nd TD).

Slap the tag on him and either eventually sign him to a reasonable deal or hell, trade him to some dipsh*t team who will make him one of the Top 3 highest paid safeties in the league.

I agree 100%.  Slap that tag on Maye, whether he likes it or not.  Make him a fair and reasonable offer to a 3 or 4 year deal, and if he doesn't take it, use the power that the NFL gave you and use that franchise tag on him.  

Net year he will be 29 years old, and not as valuable as he is this year, being 28.  Make him a fair offer, one that will make him $30 Million Dollars over the next 3 years.  Nothing wrong with that deal. I certainly won't cry for him if that's not good enough for him.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure when Quinnen Williams and Becton's deals are coming up they'll get paid nicely.  

Yes that's the hope isn't it 

they have a record of tagging, trading and generally treating their players like toothpaste tubes 

But yes it's going to be difficult for qw... Right? Because the Jets are actually huge spenders they just haven't done it in the last decade. Is this what we are telling ourselves? 

More likely they trade Q for picks and we all pat ourselves on the back because DT isn't a premium position. That's the Jets reputation it's up to the owners to change it. But they have no interest in winning because it all pays the same. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets trading these guys sends a message. The jets not paying maye sends a message too. Guys like Bell, mcclendon played in the super bowl, Avery Williamson and Jamal went to much better franchises...

The message is if you play well you can escape this hell hole and maybe get paid. the Jets are not going to pay you. But good luck in your future endeavors. 

It's not a great way to build a program. It's a garbage vibe in the locker room. Jd is so focused on draft picks because those players don't get to choose where they play. 

It also sends a message when one of your players complains, that you fold and either trade the player or let him walk.  

I say to send another message.  You're not happy; too bad!  We will franchise you if you don't want to negotiate a fair and reasonable deal, one that is bent towards the favor of the player.  8-10M per year. Give the 10Mill per year for 3 years; 22 Million guaranteed if the Jets let him go after 2 years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, chad2coles said:

That’s a bit dramatic. I thought they should resign Robby, but unforgivable?

To find a 4.3 guy un drafted through the local scouts, develop this dude, build 1000 yard rapport with Sam and let him walk in favor of perriman and mims yeah it was pretty damn bad. It was almost like jd was tanking the roster to get rid of gase 

And here we are at rock bottom. Maybe it's not unforgivable but jd choices was a part of the worst season we've all seen for 25 years or so 

Just now, Alka said:

It also sends a message when one of your players complains, that you fold and either trade the player or let him walk.  

I say to send another message.  You're not happy; too bad!  We will franchise you if you don't want to negotiate a fair and reasonable deal, one that is bent towards the favor of the player.  8-10M per year. Give the 10Mill per year for 3 years; 22 Million guaranteed if the Jets let him go after 2 years.

I agree it sets a bad standard that the team can be pushed around on Twitter by its players 

The thing is that they don't have any interest in paying for anyone so they have to trade these dudes. The malcontents have nothing to lose because no one gets paid. Except for cj mosely somehow or trumaine Johnson still dead cap. They pay losers and let the home grown guys walk 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

To find a 4.3 guy un drafted through the local scouts, develop this dude, build 1000 yard rapport with Sam and let him walk in favor of perriman and mims yeah it was pretty damn bad. It was almost like jd was tanking the roster to get rid of gase 

And here we are at rock bottom. Maybe it's not unforgivable but jd choices was a part of the worst season we've all seen for 25 years or so 

To be fair, JD admitted he made a mistake with Robbie.  I made a mistake with Robbie as well.  I thought that he was more of a "one-trick pony", and he proved me and others wrong. 

It isn't unforgivable to me if you make a mistake and learn from it, especially a mistake that others who felt the same way at the time.

Sign Justin Simmons best free agent Safety available. 
image.thumb.png.814133dcbb71c070095eb0e682f383ae.png
I wrote above about all the quality safeties, but fully expected someone to say "why let Adams go just to sign Simmons for $$$$" or some variant of "when's the last time someone said a team was 'a safety away from a SB run'?"

And they'd he right. Sign Maye, or another of the similarly skilled FA safeties, but don't pay Simmons what he's gonna get.

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's also top 5 in yards on that deal. The jets are Frugal to the point of Incompetence. 

How about Jason Myers? Pure cheapness and they still don't have a reliable pk. The vedvik signing literally cost them week 1 2019. Cheap. 

There are countless examples. Adam gase himself was a bargain hc. 

Surely, the Panthers will be in a rush to extend Robby Anderson then. I mean, he was top five in yards! They didn’t let Anderson go over money. They let him go because he’s a loon.

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They tried to trade Anderson two years in a row and couldn’t get a fourth round pick for him, and “local scouts” found him? He played a Temple, not NJIT. He went undrafted for the same reason he’s making less than Jamison Crowder right now

• Upvote 1