Chris Simms ranks Zach Wilson as the best QB in the draft over Trevor Lawrence.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simms has been the best QB evaluator in recent years. Seems to do his own analysis and not get caught up in the echo chamber consensus rankings. Refreshing. 

Just pimped my mock  

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

He is better than Lawrence.

he's better than everyone, they should rename the sport after Wilson is drafted. 

• Haha 1

If Simms says it, I could get on board with Zatch. 

But my takeaway from this is we should trade down from #2 for a windfall of picks, draft a playmaker like Waddle, then jump back into the top half of the first round (using Sam plus a pick) and then take Mac Jones. 

12 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

But my takeaway from this is we should trade down from #2 for a windfall of picks, draft a playmaker like Waddle, then jump back into the top half of the first round (using Sam plus a pick) and then take Mac Jones. 

If Wilson is as good as Simms says he is and his QB evaluations are insanely good, then why get cute? Just take the best QB in the draft. Now if we needed to trade up to get him that would be a different story but I would not get cute. We still have a #1 pick top 2 pick in second round and 2 1sts plus next year.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If Wilson is as good as Simms says he is and his QB evaluations are insanely good, then why get cute? Just take the best QB in the draft. Now if we needed to trade up to get him that would be a different story but I would not get cute. We still have a #1 pick top 2 pick in second round and 2 1sts plus next year.

I’d rather build a team (meaning add another 3 draft picks to the build) around a great QB, than put it all on the shoulders of a really great QB. 

Here is the full podcast. It's quite long but he goes through everything. In here he talks about his love for Wilson which was posted recently, and the other QB's. However with the unexpectedly low ranking the Fields portion was the most interesting. He said himself that he had the most notes and studies devoted to his game, so I found his analysis to be good. 

The Fields portion was somewhat concerning, but illuminating with regards to his contentious Mond>Fields ranking. He somewhat confirms what I saw in film as well. Even though their skillsets are different, him and Darnold have a lot of similar flaws. To sum it up, he criticizes him for locking on to receivers, trying to do too much, giving up and running if the first read isn't there compounding bad decisions (breaking down), lack of awareness, bad mechanics, and inconsistency with easy throws. However he did say that he loves his deep ball, and a lot of his mechanical issues vanish when he sets himself for the long ball. He straight up said he's the worst short thrower out of the top guys.

One important thing was that he believes his issues are fixable and he has great talent, which I fully agree with. I really like Fields, and was waiting for more in depth analysis to explain the sudden media drop off and this explains a bit. I might disagree with the ranking, but it's all valid criticism. I also find it interesting that people compare Fields to guys like Herbert, Allen and Watson, but Simms was much higher on those guys. 

• Upvote 4

Remember when we thought we were getting Baker Mayfield at 3 and we wound up with Darnold? If Simms keeps pounding for Zack we are liable to wind up with Trevor Lawrence. Do we want Lawrence or Zack Wilson after listening to Simms pump up Wilson for 2 hours?

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Remember when we thought we were getting Baker Mayfield at 3 and we wound up with Darnold? If Simms keeps pounding for Zack we are liable to wind up with Trevor Lawrence. Do we want Lawrence or Zack Wilson after listening to Simms pump up Wilson for 2 hours?

Simms had the rankings at 

1. lamar jackson

2. josh allen

3. baker mayfield

4. sam darnold

5. josh rosen

where most people had darnold and mayfield 1 and 2. 

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, maury77 said:

Wilson literally takes a 5 yard running start to make this "ridiculous" throw (into double coverage). I guess Lamar from Revenge of The Nerds also has a cannon after he won the javelin competition. 

Again (for the umpteenth time), Zach Wilson is a good NFL prospect, but you guys with your "he's better than Lawrence" and "arm on par with Mahomes" stuff are smoking banana peels. 

Must be Mahomes's uncle. 

I keep going back and forth, keep Sam or take Wilson.

People dont like Wilson, happens with almost every QB, I was fine with Allen and called dumb for it.  

There are plenty of concerns with Wilson, but the BS about his arm nonsense.  The kid has a strong arm, yes he makes Mahomes like throws.  Before the tirade, that doesnt make him Mahomes anymore than Browning Nagles cannon arm didnt make him Elway back in the day

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I think we all want another drink.😃

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’d rather build a team (meaning add another 3 draft picks to the build) around a great QB, than put it all on the shoulders of a really great QB. 

The problem is that you need to hope and pray there is a really great QB for you too draft down the road.  If you think (JD) that Wilson could be the guy you take him now, you dont wait for the team to get staked and hope you can find one.  We've been searching for 50 years for one and haven't had one, now JD should pass up on one if he thinks Wilson is it?  

No, in that scenario you take the QB.

• Upvote 1

Chris Simms also has said,(referring to Darnold), that when you have crap around you, you get a little on yourself. Darnold can win a lot of games for you with an NFL supporting cast. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The problem is that you need to hope and pray there is a really great QB for you too draft down the road.  If you think (JD) that Wilson could be the guy you take him now, you dont wait for the team to get staked and hope you can find one.  We've been searching for 50 years for one and haven't had one, now JD should pass up on one if he thinks Wilson is it?  

Yeah, the position just matters way more. If any of these receivers hit, it doesn’t mean the team becomes a playoff team. If the QB hits, you’re already setting up the team to be a contender. That’s why teams should draft a QB every year until they hit (doesn’t have to be the first round). In this case, Wilson provides more upside for team success than a great wide receiver and that’s worth taking a risk on. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Sims flipped flopped on his infamous 2018 QB picks, so it’s not all gospel what he says 

He nailed Sam's habit of bailing early from a decent pocket if the first read isn't there.

That trait made our line look worse than it was.  

Nailed Sam's turnover machinery too.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

16 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Yeah, the position just matters way more. If any of these receivers hit, it doesn’t mean the team becomes a playoff team. If the QB hits, you’re already setting up the team to be a contender. That’s why teams should draft a QB every year until they hit (doesn’t have to be the first round). In this case, Wilson provides more upside for team success than a great wide receiver and that’s worth taking a risk on. 

Wilson vs. Mac Jones + two 1sts + 2nd

Which one do you believe makes the team better overall? 

(hint: Mac Jones was better in all statistically relevant categories playing superior competition) 

14 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I really don't like this idea.

Just take the more highly ranked QB in front of you.  If he busts like Sam, well sh*t happens.  But if we miss out on another FQB because we Macc'ed it up again, that stings way way more.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Wilson vs. Mac Jones + two 1sts + 2nd

Which one do you believe makes the team better overall? 

(hint: Mac Jones was better in all statistically relevant categories playing superior competition) 

To state the obvious, it depends on who's picked.

No one knows.  There's risk in both moves.

7 minutes ago, dcJet said:

To state the obvious, it depends on who's picked.

No one knows.  There's risk in both moves.

Well, let’s just say that it’s Mac Jones plus a top-3 WR (Chase, Smith, Waddle, Pitts) and a top-3 RB (Ettiene, Harris, Williams) plus a 2022 first round pick. 

A reminder that historically, competition played has little to no bearing on future success.

Teams that play weaker teams tend to have worse supporting cast in proportion, the EPA of Wilson's supporting cast wasnt good at all. 

Talent is talent. There have been lots of QBs who played easy competition, but only a handful of guys have ever put up the numbers Wilson has. Wilson had a higher QB rating any non SEC QB practically ever.

• Upvote 1

I haven't listened or read through all of Simms analysis, but what would be interesting is his thoughts on how the 2018 class rates with the this class.  The ratings are relative to each year ... so is Fields = Darnold since they are rated the roughly same spot for each draft class .. or in other words where would Darnold sit in this years class if he were coming out Or is Zach the same level as Lamar or Josh?