Chris Simms ranks Zach Wilson as the best QB in the draft over Trevor Lawrence.

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We made up that he got a serious  injury in his throwing shoulder and did not play well against the only sorta legit defense he played against last year?

You made up the serious injury to his throwing shoulder yes.  That is not accurate.  It was a wear and tear injury from high school. It was fixed with off-season elective surgery.  The same surgery the generational Trevor Lawrence is getting right now.  I don't hear a single person saying TL had a serious shoulder injury.  NOT ONE.

He did play well, go watch the game.  For what he was given he played well.  Him team was simply outgunned.

I keep being told stats don't matter.  Watch the game and show me where he was missing open receivers or fumbling the ball or making dumb throws. 

• Upvote 1

What scares Chris Simms about Fields...

He has what I would call a "floppy arm" it's very floppy like a golfer who really reaches back to swing hard and you go "whoa" but the next hole he hits it 280 but 3 fairways over.  There's mechanical issues with his feet and his arm and when it falls apart, it really falls apart.

Besides never hearing "floppy arm" before... This is the first I've heard of Fields being inconsistent and inaccurate.  Fields is known for better accuracy than TL.  Interesting take.

Edit:  Also Simms describing Sam scrambling too soon as "He wants the pocket to break down" is unique.  

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You made up the serious injury to his throwing shoulder yes.  That is not accurate.  It was a wear and tear injury from high school. 

Holy Cow I had no idea there was a statute of limitations on serious orthopedic injuries

3D9A777E-D91D-4C34-B20F-E66B0B658C90.jpeg.c8a6c432d3a59895859256d221a9022e.jpeg

2 hours ago, dcJet said:

He has what I would call a "floppy arm" it's very floppy like a golfer who really reaches back to swing hard and you go "whoa" but the next hole he hits it 280 but 3 fairways over.  There's mechanical issues with his feet and his arm and when it falls apart, it really falls apart.

Besides never hearing "floppy arm" before... This is the first I've heard of Fields being inconsistent and inaccurate.  Fields is known for better accuracy than TL.  Interesting take.

Edit:  Also Simms describing Sam scrambling too soon as "He wants the pocket to break down" is unique.  

Fields stinks.  Geno 2.0.  How is he even being rated as a first round pick?

2 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

Oh. Well then it's useless discussing anything.

Lol what's really funny is how the favorable/unfavorable rationalizations really come out when it's to benefit Darnold's defense. When it's a lot of pressure against someone to replace Darnold, then that person sucks. Don't let it bother you. 

I'm not even saying Wilson is some must-draft QB. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I've only seen that one game.

Plus I can totally sympathize with the concern of just one year of really good production vs weak teams. They're legitimate concerns to have before the draft. There's a lot of draft history of one-year wonders in favorable situations, who then got exposed when those situations weren't so favorable. 

But Wilson didn't look bad at all that game. He had 3 possessions taken away through no fault of his own, plus arguably losing another possession by the defense letting CC eat up 9 min of the 2nd quarter on one drive. Plus his only pick was a 60-yard hail mary pass as time expired in the first half. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol what's really funny is how the favorable/unfavorable rationalizations really come out when it's to benefit Darnold's defense. When it's a lot of pressure against someone to replace Darnold, then that person sucks. Don't let it bother you. 

I'm not even saying Wilson is some must-draft QB. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I've only seen that one game.

Plus I can totally sympathize with the concern of just one year of really good production vs weak teams. They're legitimate concerns to have before the draft. There's a lot of draft history of one-year wonders in favorable situations, who then got exposed when those situations weren't so favorable. 

But Wilson didn't look bad at all that game. He had 3 possessions taken away through no fault of his own, plus arguably losing another possession by the defense letting CC eat up 9 min of the 2nd quarter on one drive. Plus his only pick was a 60-yard hail mary pass as time expired in the first half. 

I don't believe in sure things, but from what I've seen, he's got so many tools that can't be ignored. Strong arm, good decision making, mobility, accuracy, avoids turnovers. He's also a high character kid who wants to be great at football. The more you watch of him, the more you like him.

From what I understand he's a good fit for what the Jets want to do on offense.

Having said this, my very first choice is to trade for Watson. Drafting Wilson is second.

Third place is I'm fired (paraphrasing a quote from Glengarry Glen Ross) I'd be mentally checked out from this team if Sam Darnold is the QB.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Fields stinks.  Geno 2.0.  How is he even being rated as a first round pick?

Crazy path for Fields.  He went from being compared to maybe better than Lawrence to now, I just saw today on ESPN.. Who is better?  Fields or  Lance?  WTF?  They haven't played any games and he's dropping like a rock.

• Upvote 1

Heard Peter King on Sirius today, and he talked about Wilson. When his coach told me he would have to compete this year, he didn't complain or get angry he moved to California to work full time during the week with is QB trainer then would drive 8 hours each way over the weekend to continue training. King said he is incredibly dedicated and the word he would most use for him is work ethic. He's the real deal/

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Heard Peter King on Sirius today, and he talked about Wilson. When his coach told me he would have to compete this year, he didn't complain or get angry he moved to California to work full time during the week with is QB trainer then would drive 8 hours each way over the weekend to continue training. King said he is incredibly dedicated and the word he would most use for him is work ethic. He's the real deal/

That all sounds great but after two years of starting at BYU his position as the starting QB was questioned by his coach and now 12 months later he is going to he handed the keys to an NFL franchise.

You could interpret that the BYU coach was just trying to light a fire under wilson going into his junior year but then again why would he need a kick up the arse to improve, did he not have the dedication.

Not against picking wilson, just genuine concerns.

6 hours ago, Adobolo said:

That all sounds great but after two years of starting at BYU his position as the starting QB was questioned by his coach and now 12 months later he is going to he handed the keys to an NFL franchise.

You could interpret that the BYU coach was just trying to light a fire under wilson going into his junior year but then again why would he need a kick up the arse to improve, did he not have the dedication.

Not against picking wilson, just genuine concerns.

I get it but it sort of makes the 2019 season when he played with an injured hand the one as having the most significance. College football players are young, and not only developing their skills but also their bodies, minds and maturity and for a QB their leadership skills. In the face of Covid-19 he did ALL of that, and had the best season by PFFs analysis ever. We should give him credit for realizing his potential not killing him because of an off hour. Keep in mind he did win the job, earned being a Captain and is widely loved and respected by his teammates. And the way he developed was not through a gimmicky system, but through developing exceptional QB technique and skills things that will translate to the next level. He was something like 20/27 on balls in the air longer than 30 yards. Few NFL QBs are that accurate. "Well they were wide open" Still have to hit them. NFL QBs routinely miss wide open receivers on long passes and some our really bad like our own QB.

Is he a 1 year wonder? Sort of, he had a really good 2018 too. Is he a function of a system? Not really. I just look at him and think he will maybe be even better at the next level.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:50 AM, BroadwayRay said:

I'm seriously thinking you're a bot that's been planted on this site by a lower-picking team that wants to draft Wilson or Fields. Your arguments, if you can call them that, consist of three lines: a) Fields is the next Geno Smith (I'll pretend I don't see a racial component to this), b) Wilson's arm fell off and was reconstructed (it wasn't) and c) Wilson sucked against Coastal (he didn't). 

So I’m lying about Wilson not playing well against the only semi-real defense he played last year?

19-30 1TD and 1INT in a loss— that’s “good”?

Oh yeah and thanks for calling me a racist because Justin Fields is a one read guy who has to see WRs get open first

• WTF? 1

On 3/6/2021 at 9:46 AM, johnnysd said:

If Peter King the pats fan who would love nothing more than us to draft an injury prone player at 2 over Sewell, Pitts etc blesses off I’m on board 

I do agree about Sam. He does seem to scramble too soon but I think part of it is that he has become use to the pocket collapsing and Wr’s not getting open. It’s a mental thing.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

So I’m lying about Wilson not playing well against the only semi-real defense he played last year?

Oh yeah and thanks for calling me a racist because Justin Fields is a one read guy who has to see WRs get open first

If you’re going to read a box score, then yeah it doesn’t look great. If you actually watched the game, the kid was pretty damn good. Some bad luck and ran out of time at the end. It’s not like he threw 4 picks and looked terrible.

I'm trying to remember specifically which players he was high on, but I remember someone on NFL radio saying Chris Sims has been money with a bunch of his predictions recently. Don't quote me, but I think last year he had Jefferson as his top WR and I think he was all over Herbert too. They all hit and miss but right now I'm definitely high on his predictions... More so than a lot of the other analysts, anyway. 

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I'm trying to remember specifically which players he was high on, but I remember someone on NFL radio saying Chris Sims has been money with a bunch of his predictions recently. Don't quote me, but I think last year he had Jefferson as his top WR and I think he was all over Herbert too. They all hit and miss but right now I'm definitely high on his predictions... More so than a lot of the other analysts, anyway. 

Simms doesn’t like Fields 

On 3/7/2021 at 5:31 AM, Philc1 said:

i felt the same way when i looked at the stats, but then i watched a video of all his throws in the game, and he played well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 3/6/2021 at 3:46 AM, johnnysd said:

Yeah but bit said football meant nothing to the kid, his Uncle started Jet Blue and would give him the 35M that the NFL would give him a month from now

On 3/7/2021 at 5:33 AM, Philc1 said:

If Peter King the pats fan who would love nothing more than us to draft an injury prone player at 2 over Sewell, Pitts etc blesses off I’m on board 

This has got to be in contention for some kind of award.  Not an award you want but an award.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah but bit said football meant nothing to the kid, his Uncle started Jet Blue and would give him the 35M that the NFL would give him a month from now

Not sure I get the rich dad argument to be honest. Even with his "small" rookie contract he will still make FU money for the next 4 years. Serious FU money. Like more money per year - pretty much more each year than 10 people with average salaries over the next 30 years. He will make the same as 100 people with 100,000 salaries each year, way before he makes the "big" money. A Top 5 pick makes so much that all of them could decide to take the money and run.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

Did you watch the video? I'm not saying he had some great game. I'm saying he played a decent game that he came within about 2 feet from winning

He’s not that good and has injury issues that will haunt him and this franchise