Who are your dream picks at 2, 23 and 33?

maury77

Dream picks... 

Can't help but feel that our moves in FA will influence choices here but as of today--

#2 - Fields... pains me to turn my back on the trade-back-for-Pitts dream, but i just can't do another Darnold on eggshells season.

#23 - Terrace Marshall Jr... so long as this leg injury i heard about offline isn't a real issue, he's a 1st rnd talent with the highest ceiling.

#34 - Ronnie Perkins.... in a draft i hope to see a lot of O, I think we can sneak him in assuming Oline gets a boost in FA

• Post of the Week 1

If we're dreaming?  lol

Fields, Pitts, Toney, but I cant imagine Pitts falling to 23

Realistic?

Fields, Horn, Etienne/Harris.

I love the mid round WR's in this draft so I'm comfortable waiting to see who falls to the 3rd/4th round.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

If we're dreaming?  lol

Realistic?

I love the mid round WR's in this draft so I'm comfortable waiting to see who falls to the 3rd/4th round.

You think corner and RB that early in these schemes? I feel like both are designed for those positions to be waited on.

35 minutes ago, derp said:

You think corner and RB that early in these schemes? I feel like both are designed for those positions to be waited on.

I didnt really think about it from that perspective.  These were "dream" picks that I took a realistic route but probably a good call out.

I guess I was just thinking more so along the lines of how I feel the draft will fall and the players that I think could really help advance the talent level/performance on Sunday.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I didnt really think about it from that perspective.  These were "dream" picks that I took a realistic route but probably a good call out.

I guess I was just thinking more so along the lines of how I feel the draft will fall and the players that I think could really help advance the talent level/performance on Sunday.

Makes sense. I think certainly talent level and you’ve got more of a level of certainty with the backs (though I’ll never get the Harris fascination for a team that lacks explosive players).

I just think the line between the good players and the good scheme fits, particularly at those positions, is very thin. I also have massive corner fatigue, running back would be fun at least (I also really like what I’ve seen from Javonte Williams). Maybe when the Jets finally have a pass rusher I’ll be on board with a corner but it feels so pointless until then.

22 minutes ago, derp said:

Makes sense. I think certainly talent level and you’ve got more of a level of certainty with the backs (though I’ll never get the Harris fascination for a team that lacks explosive players).

I just think the line between the good players and the good scheme fits, particularly at those positions, is very thin. I also have massive corner fatigue, running back would be fun at least (I also really like what I’ve seen from Javonte Williams). Maybe when the Jets finally have a pass rusher I’ll be on board with a corner but it feels so pointless until then.

My thing with the pass rushers is, I think testing is the biggest part.  I'm not die hard combine/testing guy, I think it's a tool and part of the analaysis.  However, it's gospel when it comes to pass rusher. It's damn near fail proof, you're either a freak athlete, or you're not...bottom line and without that, I'm nervous. I like Williams and some others but I think Etienne and Harris are next level freakazoids.  I get Harris doesnt have the breakaway wow splash explosions but I think it's in there and I think he just proved his versatility is next level this year.  And we havent had a dominate RB in a sooo long...which goes a long way when you're breaking in a rookie QB.

In retrospect, maybe OL at #23 depending on who is there...but I really do like those to RB's at the start of RD2.  I just think there is a lot of value in OL/WR in the mids rounds...more so then RB and CB which I think are more top heavy.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

My thing with the pass rushers is, I think testing is the biggest part.  I'm not die hard combine/testing guy, I think it's a tool and part of the analaysis.  However, it's gospel when it comes to pass rusher. It's damn near fail proof, you're either a freak athlete, or you're not...bottom line and without that, I'm nervous. I like Williams and some others but I think Etienne and Harris are next level freakazoids.  I get Harris doesnt have the breakaway wow splash explosions but I think it's in there and I think he just proved his versatility is next level this year.  And we havent had a dominate RB in a sooo long...which goes a long way when you're breaking in a rookie QB.

In retrospect, maybe OL at #23 depending on who is there...but I really do like those to RB's at the start of RD2.  I just think there is a lot of value in OL/WR in the mids rounds...more so then RB and CB which I think are more top heavy.

Oh I totally get it with the pass rushers. My hope is actually that Douglas double dips in FA. I don’t *love* this FA class but I think about how the Packers’ defense got better when they added the Smiths in FA. Neither was a stud or a lock to produce but adding those two made a big difference. I think the Jets could maybe do the same this offseason even if nobody truly wows me.

I’ve said this before but I’d like Harris in a good offense that wants one primary back and gets explosive plays in the passing game - I don’t think the Jets meet or strongly project to meet any of those criteria. I’ve watched teams stack the boxes against the Jets and shut down the run without fear of explosive plays for years and I just think it’d be more of the same with Harris. Stud on the Steelers for a few years - don’t see it on the Jets.

I don’t buy that the explosive plays are coming - he had a ton of touches in college and what - one play over 50 yards he didn’t score on? He’s a versatile volume based guy and those dudes also get run into the ground faster too because they produce in a ton of touches. Exciting for a different team in the mid-late second to mid third, but I don’t see the first or early second round value if he’s not putting up silly numbers on a stacked Alabama teams. 

I also am kind of getting you say 23 is no man’s land for the Jets in this draft which I firmly believe, and I think it makes answering the OP pretty tough (which is why I haven’t lol). I don’t really expect the Jets to make a pick there. You can basically throw a dart in the top ten and be guaranteed a player at a position of need so I think being aggressive and going up for a guy would be ideal - particularly if they take a QB and there’s Darnold capital. But otherwise Douglas has absolutely shown he’ll move down too. You’re also guessing pre-FA but I think Freiermuth (not my dream), Moore, or Toney would make the most sense based on my FA assumptions and maybe someone like Mayfield or Vera-Tucker if he slips since I think the swing G/T ability could be valuable with lots of questions on the OL (also why I think Slater is a sleeper target if they move down since he’s got LT ability too and and Becton is awesome but misses snaps - just all kinds of team building value).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

23 is killing me in mock drafts especially if Jaelan Phillips isn’t there. I don’t believe there’s an OL worth the pick unless Vera Tucker is there and Jaycee Horn’s rise probably puts him out of range there too. That’s the spot to trade down and pick up some capital.

My dream pick at #2 is a trade down to ATL at #4 and taking Fields.  Of, if I'm dreaming big, then trading down to #5 or #6 and STILL getting Fields.  Then I am making dream picks not only at #23 and #34, but also at #36-#38 plus more dream picks in the top 2 rounds next year.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:10 PM, nycdan said:

My dream pick at #2 is a trade down to ATL at #4 and taking Fields.  Of, if I'm dreaming big, then trading down to #5 or #6 and STILL getting Fields.  Then I am making dream picks not only at #23 and #34, but also at #36-#38 plus more dream picks in the top 2 rounds next year.

I can see fields falling to 23.  The media hype is all going to Wilson.  The fields hype has died down as analysts have had more time to watch his tape

2. Kyle Pitts, TE/WR

23. Jaycee Horn, CB

33. Trevon Moehrig, S

We can't pick Pitts 2nd but would be great to trade back and do so. Horn would be great at 23. Moerhrig is listed as a top 16 players on some draft boards however I see him going late 20s and early 2nd round on mocks. The 3rd selection may sound comical to some but he's a beast and would work good with Maye. PFF said Maye has a 20 point grade difference from FS to SS. Plus our scheme ask for our S to be interchangeable. Davis seems to strickly be a FS.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, kdels62 said:

23 is killing me in mock drafts especially if Jaelan Phillips isn’t there. I don’t believe there’s an OL worth the pick unless Vera Tucker is there and Jaycee Horn’s rise probably puts him out of range there too. That’s the spot to trade down and pick up some capital.

It’s Jaelin Phillips for me at 23. Or Vera tucker .if gone then Maybe Rousseau or one of the WR’s - Marshall or Toney

17 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

2. Kyle Pitts, TE/WR

23. Jaycee Horn, CB

33. Trevon Moehrig, S

We can't pick Pitts 2nd but would be great to trade back and do so. Horn would be great at 23. Moerhrig is listed as a top 16 players on some draft boards however I see him going late 20s and early 2nd round on mocks. The 3rd selection may sound comical to some but he's a beast and would work good with Maye. PFF said Maye has a 20 point grade difference from FS to SS. Plus our scheme ask for our S to be interchangeable. Davis seems to strickly be a FS.

Pitts is the second best player in the draft we can absolutely take him at 2

F the haters.  These are the same people who were laughing at us and said the Seahawks robbed us of Adams a year ago

Two positions I absolutely want draft no later than 66th (Jets fourth pick of the Draft) are CB and WR.  This just seems like the right Draft to address those two important spots by Round 3.  Talented and pretty deep at both positions.

Coming away with a WR Terrace Marshall or Rashad Bateman and a CB Greg Newsome or Asante Samuel would be great IMO.

• Upvote 1

2: If we take a QB? Wilson or Fields

No QB, keep Darnold (unlikely) - we would trade back tho I think... lets say we are dumb and don't - Either Chase or Waddle (you dont draft TEs in top 5 (really shouldn't in top 10)... you don't switch a LT to RT and Becton is going to be an All Pro LT. 

23: either a guard Davis or Vera-Tucker 

or if they think he wont drop to 2nd round - RB Javonte Williams (one of my fav players this draft) 

2nd round pick - swap whatever I said for 23rd pick... if none available... draft best available (we have holes everywhere)

• 2 weeks later...

Zach Wilson

Vera-Tucker

Etienne

We can figure out the one remaining guard spot between Lewis, GVR and Cameron Clarke, put Vera-Tucker at the other guard spot with Etienne at RB  and really take a lot of pressure off a rookie QB.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:00 AM, JiF said:

If we're dreaming?  lol

Realistic?

This is probably what's going to happen IMO.  Much to the disappointment of the Terrace Marshall, Toney, etc. lovers out there I think the Jets don't have WR on their Day 1 (or even Day 2) list as a priority after using a 2nd round pick on Mims last year, signing Corey Davis to a big multi-year deal, and still having guys like Crowder on the roster while having some depth pieces in Keelan Cole, Vyncint Smith, etc. still around.  Perhaps at #86 (the second of the Jets 3rd rounders) but unless there's major value that falls into the Jets lap at #34 or 66, I think they're looking at OL, CB and other spots on Days 1 and 2.