Joe Douglas on Sam Darnold: "If calls are made, I will answer"

20 minutes ago, MARTIN said:

I have a source. He said one of two things will happen in the next week... Either Sam will be traded or he wont be.

Will report more as i learn it.

Bro I told you to keep it to yourself. This just exposes me as the insider scum. Not cool. 

• Upvote 1

Listening to people rationalize how the Jets should/will/have to keep Sam Darnold, to me at least, is what it would be like sitting through a meeting of the UFO Society or a Flat Earther convention. Highly entertaining, while at the same time highly perplexing, and a bit disturbing. Can't wait until he's finally gone so we can get past this mass delusion. Shout out to @genotfor keeping the faith on this though.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

My feeling is the Jets have Darnold rated similarly to Wilson and Fields.

If they get a good offer for Darnold they will trade him and use the #2 pick to reset the quarterback clock. If they do not get a good offer, they will keep Darnold, exercise his 5th year option, and try to build a team around him with a trade down or premium talent at #2.

"If calls are made, I will listen" does not signify much. Very few players in the NFL are untradable.

If they have them equally rated, it would be crazy to trade him. Use the picks you  could get in a trade down, and keep making this team better.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Listening to people rationalize how the Jets should/will/have to keep Sam Darnold, to me at least, is what it would be like sitting through a meeting of the UFO Society or a Flat Earther convention. Highly entertaining, while at the same time highly perplexing, and a bit disturbing. Can't wait until he's finally gone so we can get past this mass delusion. Shout out to @genotfor keeping the faith on this though.

Thank you. To me it's a much greater risk using that high a pick on those two QB's. If they bust, Douglas is done. If you look at Darnold's sophomore year at USC, he was very impressive. He took a dump the following season when JuJu got drafted and he had 4 new offensive lineman blocking for him. USC was not a very talented offensive squad. His best WR was Deontay Burnett. Why is it inconcievable to some people that with nore talent around him, and a system that fits him he can't take that big leap foward, the way he took that big leap backward because of diminished talent his last year at USC.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

people will interpret this anyway they want but guys like Wentz and Stafford have already been shipped

the Jets aren't really burning up the phone lines trying to move this dude 

just my .02 

the longer this goes without them trading Darnold, teams move on to other options and the harder it becomes to trade Darnold. 

Might be window dressing trying to entice teams to trade down with us

10 hours ago, genot said:

Thank you. To me it's a much greater risk using that high a pick on those two QB's. If they bust, Douglas is done. If you look at Darnold's sophomore year at USC, he was very impressive. He took a dump the following season when JuJu got drafted and he had 4 new offensive lineman blocking for him. USC was not a very talented offensive squad. His best WR was Deontay Burnett. Why is it inconcievable to some people that with nore talent around him, and a system that fits him he can't take that big leap foward, the way he took that big leap backward because of diminished talent his last year at USC.

Both Fields and Wilson are locks to bust.

Getting rid of Sam for chump change and drafting one of those 2 clowns will be the latest Jet debacle 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

This 

The GM literally said Darnold is “untouchable” last year , this year he actually said he would listen to trade offers and people still can’t see the writing on the wall.

Darnit Stans:

“He’s weighing what he can get for Darnold vs the 2nd overall pick” 

me: ??????

image.jpeg.3891315af1c8daf2f736845d007e3f34.jpeg

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, genot said:

image.jpeg.7046847de851ceeb501d38bbe24133ed.jpeg

^^SO stands for sophomore correct?? 

image.png.6fba408565224e89b963bc70be89c722.png

• WTF? 1

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

people will interpret this anyway they want but guys like Wentz and Stafford have already been shipped

just my .02 

the longer this goes without them trading Darnold, teams move on to other options and the harder it becomes to trade Darnold. 

This couldn’t be more incorrect, we until draft day when imo something will happen. I think he will be used as trade up bait with our lower first or we will get a second +

They are probably waiting until they get to meet the QB's in person.  It's just a final DD phase before moving on from Sam.

They've likely already made their choice of QB at 2, at least who they think they want - with their college pro days coming up they're waiting a few more weeks to meet him and see him in person.

I suspect they have offers on the table for Sam, but have one more step before they move him.  

The trade will happen right after they meet their guy.

Clemson March 11th

BYU is March 26th

OSU is March 30th.

I suspect he'll be traded the first week of April.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 4

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They are probably waiting until they get to meet the QB's in person.  It's just a final DD phase before moving on from Sam.

They've likely already made their choice of QB at 2, at least who they think they want - with their college pro days coming up they're waiting a few more weeks to meet him and see him in person.

I suspect they have offers on the table for Sam, but have one more step before they move him.  

Clemson March 11th

BYU is March 26th

OSU is March 30th.

Great take,totally agree. As I"ve posted a few times in various threads, JD was on Michael Kay in early January. In response to a question about how important the Senior Bowl, Combine and Pro Day process is in evaluating players, he said that about 90% of all the resume's are already done by the scouts. Unless something horrible comes out when they meet these kids in person, they already know who their guy is if they take a QB.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

?

I guess he means you ate a bowl of drugs. Don't feel bad, this team makes me feel like I ate a bowl of drugs every Sunday (please note: this includes the off-season). Being a Jets fan is like starring in that great film 'Drugstore Cowboy', only we don't always know it. I mean, how many times have you sat down to watch a game and after the Jets lose the first thing you say is that somebody left a hat on the bed? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetophile said:

I guess he means you ate a bowl of drugs. Don't feel bad, this team makes me feel like I ate a bowl of drugs every Sunday (please note: this includes the off-season). Being a Jets fan is like starring in that great film 'Drugstore Cowboy', only we don't always know it. I mean, how many times have you sat down to watch a game and after the Jets lose the first thing you say is that somebody left a hat on the bed?

This 

????

Sam, his agent, his family etc dont want to be here.  You think Sam is going to put it all on the line for a team that publicly wont commit to him and tells everyone they will listen to calls??  These guys have egos.  This is embarrassing for the player.

What qb has ever returned to the team in this scenario?  Answer - none

The Darnold camp has made it clear to the Jets they have no interest in being here.  And the Jets brass has no interest in keeping Darnold.

This is basically the perfect breakup.  Everyone is going to get what they want.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam, his agent, his family etc dont want to be here.  You think Sam is going to put it all on the line for a team that publicly wont commit to him and tells everyone they will listen to calls??  These guys have egos.  This is embarrassing for the player.

What qb has ever returned to the team in this scenario?  Answer - none

The Darnold camp has made it clear to the Jets they have no interest in being here.  And the Jets brass has no interest in keeping Darnold.

This is basically the perfect breakup.  Everyone is going to get what they want.

Exactly. You don't say you'll listen to trade offers for your QB and keep him. It's insulting to the player. He will be traded - hopefully JD can fleece a team for their lower #1 or a #2 and #4 type of deal.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Exactly. You don't say you'll listen to trade offers for your QB and keep him. It's insulting to the player. He will be traded - hopefully JD can fleece a team for their lower #1 or a #2 and #4 type of deal.

Correct.  Sam Darnold doesnt want to be anywhere near the New York Jets organization.  Thats what anyone who thinks he is coming back is missing.

But its tough to realize while your wearing your Darnold PJs and waking up to his bobblehead on your nightstand every morning.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

just my .02 

He might be waiting for pro days to get one last look at the incoming QBs before deciding if he wants to move on from Darnold. 

16 hours ago, section314 said:

If they have them equally rated, it would be crazy to trade him. Use the picks you  could get in a trade down, and keep making this team better.

Crazy?  To trade a player on an expiring contract who isn't part of the org's plans for the future?  That's never a crazy idea.

17 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

My feeling is the Jets have Darnold rated similarly to Wilson and Fields.

If they get a good offer for Darnold they will trade him and use the #2 pick to reset the quarterback clock. If they do not get a good offer, they will keep Darnold, exercise his 5th year option, and try to build a team around him with a trade down or premium talent at #2.

"If calls are made, I will listen" does not signify much. Very few players in the NFL are untradable.

This is a horrible strategy. Either you think Darnold is worth keeping or you don't. You don't let other teams make the decision for you. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He might be waiting for pro days to get one last look at the incoming QBs before deciding if he wants to move on from Darnold. 

that's probably what he's doing, I get that

the question is, how long will other teams wait on JD to make their plans at QB? 

and specifically, what teams are we talking about? New England? San Fran? Denver? Pittsburgh? Carolina if they lose out to Chicago for Watson? there's not too many destinations. maybe 4 or 5 serious teams all wanting to low ball. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Clemson March 11th

BYU is March 26th

OSU is March 30th.

Clemson pro day will not have Trevor Lawrence. He did his in Feb before a left shoulder surgery.