Does JD plan on doing...anything?

On 3/3/2021 at 7:28 PM, kevinc855 said:

JD seems to only be interested in cutting talent. What else has he done to build this team? 

His arrogant comments today basically hinting they won’t make a run at Watson because we have to “hit on draft picks” reinforces this strategy of draft only. And why? His last class was a meh class at best.

Around the league teams are actively making moves prepping for FA and making conditional trades. Much like last year seems like we are late to the dance. 

Let’s see how FA shakes out this year but man if boring is supposed to be sexy, 9 wins in two seasons isn’t showing me much. 

Shut up. Also yr 1 didn't count for him. He was hired after the draft and fre agency. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Shut the **** up. Also yr 1 didn't count for him. He was hired after the draft and fre agency. 

Oh, that's cool, so Gase got a "didn't count" for his two half-seasons without a starting quarterback, without a healthy WR corps, and with a DC who went rogue?  

I didn't realize we were handing out mulligans to 2-14 failures except for the ones we like, silly me.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 4

22 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

What exactly are we late to? Nothing has started yet. 

Ha ha ha ha.

Oh, so the rebuild just started now?  LOL.  You realize that half the team, 28 players, are on expired 1-year contracts.  That one year being JOE DOUGLAS' 2020 season, right?

Someone took a 6-2 team and turned it into 2-14.  Wonder who.  Hmm....

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, K Clue said:

Did I miss something, but when did Douglas cut any real talent that this team has? 

Also, as much I’d love the Jets to get Watson, they just can’t afford to give up all those draft picks the Texans would want for him, so I like how Joe Douglas is handling that situation. 

I was thinking that as well.

What talent has he cut?    Should he have resigned Robby, yes?  Other than that what has he done?

Oh yeah, he somehow got 2 first rounders for a safety who is a great blitzer, but can't cover or catch.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

JD seems to only be interested in cutting talent. What else has he done to build this team? 

His arrogant comments today basically hinting they won’t make a run at Watson because we have to “hit on draft picks” reinforces this strategy of draft only. And why? His last class was a meh class at best.

Around the league teams are actively making moves prepping for FA and making conditional trades. Much like last year seems like we are late to the dance. 

Let’s see how FA shakes out this year but man if boring is supposed to be sexy, 9 wins in two seasons isn’t showing me much. 

Boy, this didn't go the way you thought it would, did it?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Maybe JD should tap on Maccagnan's free agency skills.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

What exactly are we late to? Nothing has started yet. 

If you’re on time...you’re late. JD should have already signed a WR and drafted a QB. What the hell is he waiting for? Chop Chop

Who cares if FA is weeks away? Get it done now.

/sarcasm

6 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I am completely outraged he hasn't drafted anybody yet this offseason.

Forgive us if yesterday's press conference didn't instill any feelings of confidence that Joe Douglas is actually going to spend any money on players or hold himself accountable for a 2-14 season.  Last year we had 23 players on 1-year contracts.  Looks like his goal for this year is to have 46.  Nothing better than being poised for an exciting rebuild for 4 years.  I guess some new GM is going to be the one to, you know, actually rebuild the team.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Oh, that's cool, so Gase got a "didn't count" for his two half-seasons without a starting quarterback, without a healthy WR corps, and with a DC who went rogue?  

I didn't realize we were handing out mulligans to 2-14 failures except for the ones we like, silly me.

SAR I

You're  a funny dude. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Amen.  Preach it.  It's like we hired someone from the Ravens and Eagles who knows how to gut a team and negotiate picks from hype playoff contenders and is afraid to actually make a decision and do something with them.

Note to JN:  We have been "rebuilding" since 2017.  "Suck For Sam", remember?  Douglas didn't launch the Jets rebuild, he inherited it mid-stream.  Yet they give Gase 4 games and Douglas, what, 4 years?  Give me a break.

SAR I

4 games?   Have you been in a Covid coma?

• Upvote 1

I do think this offseason is critical in judging if JD is up to the job. He needs to sign some high end FA who fit the system and still have productive years left. Apparently the HC he hired is simeone with a great rep around the league with everybody. He needs to sell that and the Jet's future to whoever he might be wanting to sign. Obviously he has to nail his draft picks. Especially if it's a Wr, or a Pitts. Has to find a starting caliber linebacker that can cover and stuff the run. Big question marks at that will and Sam linebacker slots. The best thing JD has done so far is rid this team of a toxic coach and replaced him with a respected professional . Saleh, in turn, has done the same, assembling a quality staff. We need to chill, and wait what transpires this season. Definitely a turn the corner year. At least, it should be.

• Upvote 2

After FA and the draft there will be more people not happy with Douglas than happy with him because there are so many polarizing decisions to be made.

If the jets do not legit go hard after Qatson some people will be very mad at him.

If the Jets do not trade Darnold some people will be very  mad at him.

A trade down out of #2 overall and QB range and some people will be very made at him.

Stick at #2 and take a QB and some people will be very mad at him because in many cases there is a real Fields vs Wilson divide.

Should be fun times in here as usual!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Forgive us if yesterday's press conference didn't instill any feelings of confidence that Joe Douglas is actually going to spend any money on players or hold himself accountable for a 2-14 season.  Last year we had 23 players on 1-year contracts.  Looks like his goal for this year is to have 46.  Nothing better than being poised for an exciting rebuild for 4 years.  I guess some new GM is going to be the one to, you know, actually rebuild the team.

SAR I

9ac28e99b0b02e891dc6122584550eca.png

• Haha 1

For a second year in a row, the Jets do not have as much cap space as it looks.  

The Jets have 57 players under contract, including Lewis and Van Roten and Darnold who could be traded for more draft picks.   A lot of those 57 are jokers. 

They have 9 draft picks before any additional trades.

I think it is safe to say that there will be at least another 15 players on this team by August who are better than the 57 players under contract.  

This is what Douglas is doing:

Trade Darnold for a 2nd

Draft:

Round 1 - qb: Zach Wilson, wr: Rashod Bateman

Round 2 - rb: Travis Etienne, oline: Tre Smith

Round 3- te: Tommy Tremble, oline: Wyatt davis

So now your offense is young and exciting:

Qb- Wilson

Rb - Etiene/Perine

Wr- Mims, Bateman, Crowder

Te- Herndon/Tremble

Oline- Becton, tre smith, wyatt davis etc.

This team starts 1-9.  But the last 6 games of the season, the offense really comes together.  Wilson has some monster games, Etienne is ripping off big runs, the 2 wrs mims and bateman get used to nfl speed and start making big plays etc.  The win 3 of their last 6 games.

Jets finish 4 -12 and have the 4th pick in the draft.  Now you have another year of high draft picks and a young team that showed great promise as the season progressed.  Now you start addressing the defensive side of the ball in the draft.

Now, you get the best pass rusher coming out w/ the number 4 pick.  Now you start spending free agent dollars and bring big time guys in to shore up the weaknesses on the roster.

Now the Jets head into the 2022 as one of the most talked about young, up and coming teams in the league.

That is what Joe Douglas is doing!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Next week there is going to be the biggest massacre of teams cutting players they cant afford in NFL history.  It might actually be a once in a lifetime free agency period.  JD knew this and signed as many people to one year contracts last year so he would be flush with cash for this event I believe.  We are going to be in a great position to sign some players you never thought would be available...and because not many teams have a good cap situation we might even get them on a good deal for us from a $$ stand point. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/3/2021 at 7:55 PM, Grandy said:

Large contracts have been a thorn in our side for a longggg time.

The Jets are 80 million dollars under the 180 million dollar cap, they are not in cap hell. 

As for the Jets they are using the cap space to buy bitcoin and its going really well 

OH you mean something to improve the roster? That's not what it's for. The team is designed to be Woody's piggy bank / atm machine. It's not designed to win games 

On 3/3/2021 at 7:28 PM, kevinc855 said:

Its his 2nd draft and FA. His FA acquisitions were pretty much fill ins on low, short term contracts. His first draft is still to be graded.  Becton and Mims look like players.  Hall was a find late in the draft and could be a steal.  No GM is going to bat 1000 in the draft.  He was able to steal picks for that pariah Adams.  This year I look for JD to vastly improve this team.  He's done a decent job thus far with all things considered.  There is no such thing as a quick fix.