Does JD plan on doing...anything?

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are 80 million dollars under the 180 million dollar cap, they are not in cap hell. 

As for the Jets they are using the cap space to buy bitcoin and its going really well 

OH you mean something to improve the roster? That's not what it's for. The team is designed to be Woody's piggy bank / atm machine. It's not designed to win games 

Maccagnan gave out (and Woody signed off on) plenty of big contracts, both to players who were already on the team (Wilkerson) and in free agency (Trumaine Johnson and Mosley).  The Jets have been in such bad shape partially because the big investments didn’t work out, not because they didn’t make them to begin with.

Joe Douglas has had one free agency period with the Jets, in which he took a very conservative approach because he knew that stockpiling cap space for after a COVID-impacted season would be a smart move.  He’s also made it pretty clear that his philosophy is to use free agency to supplement the draft, and won’t generally spend big bucks in FA to cover up years of bad drafting, as Maccagnan attempted to do.  

Despite all of the cap room, I expect that Douglas will go after 1 or 2 big ticket free agents, sign a bunch more non-superstar players to team-friendly contracts, and then leave some cap room in the vault for future needs.  And it will be because this is his philosophy for how to build sustained success, not because Woody is cheap.  If you want big-money splurges we can bring Maccagnan or Tannenbaum back.

6 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Despite all of the cap room, I expect that Douglas will go after 1 or 2 big ticket free agents, sign a bunch more non-superstar players to team-friendly contracts, and then leave some cap room in the vault for future needs

live look in from the vault 

pw scrooge GIF

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Oh, that's cool, so Gase got a "didn't count" for his two half-seasons without a starting quarterback, without a healthy WR corps, and with a DC who went rogue?  

I didn't realize we were handing out mulligans to 2-14 failures except for the ones we like, silly me.

SAR I

This is a wild take.  What move did Douglas make or not make in 2019 that you're mad about? 

i don't see where douglas has been cutting any great talent.  about the only player that he didn't make a good effort to keep was anderson but even there it's not like robbie was some great no. 1 receiver.  think the jets would've won more games had they kept him?  doubtful.  and don't be fooled by leo.  he was a good player but not really worth his draft position.  he still isn't.  same thing with adams.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Plenty of blame to go around for that. 

JD gets part of the blame. 

joewilly12

JD effectively made a non-confidence vote in Darnold and Gase last year.

That may have been defeatist, genius or not genius, but that is what he did.  

Maybe it was a functional tank, and Conklin and Anderson would have messed that up.  Robby wanted to be a FA again after this year.  Conklin could have been playing next year, subject to the tag etc.

But I did not love the 3rd and 4th round draft picks in particular, which are 4+ year contracts.  

Two other words:  Ryan Kalil.

But I am not going to find fault anymore with any of JD's prior moves.  He has the benefit of the doubt and a clean slate.  Let's see what the team looks like on opening day, 2021.

• Upvote 1

JD effectively made a non-confidence vote in Darnold and Gase last year.
That may have been defeatist, genius or not genius, but that is what he did.  
Maybe it was a functional tank, and Conklin and Anderson would have messed that up.  Robby wanted to be a FA again after this year.  Conklin could have been playing next year, subject to the tag etc.
But I did not love the 3rd and 4th round draft picks in particular, which are 4+ year contracts.  
Two other words:  Ryan Kalil.
But I am not going to find fault anymore with any of JD's prior moves.  He has the benefit of the doubt and a clean slate.  Let's see what the team looks like on opening day, 2021.
There is no defending Kalil ... that was near Gholston level fail.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 3/3/2021 at 7:34 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Mac traded away a million picks for Sam. Handed out ridiculous contracts to Mosley, Bell and Anthony Barr (which we got lucky on). How’d that all work out. Be patient with Douglas. 

A million picks ? Seriously ?  At the time most of JN was on board with it and hailed it as a steal once Darnold was there at #3. 

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

A million picks ? Seriously ?  At the time most of JN was on board with it and hailed it as a steal once Darnold was there at #3. 

We're fans we want the hype to be real.  I convinced myself that Jackie Polite showing up at his job interview with his dick hanging out of his pants was similar to Janet Jackson exposing her breast during the SB halftime show.  He was going to solve our pass rush.  Apparently, unlike Jackson's bra, it wasn't a fly malfunction that's just how he rolls.   

On 3/3/2021 at 7:28 PM, kevinc855 said:

JD seems to only be interested in cutting talent. What else has he done to build this team? 

His arrogant comments today basically hinting they won’t make a run at Watson because we have to “hit on draft picks” reinforces this strategy of draft only. And why? His last class was a meh class at best.

Around the league teams are actively making moves prepping for FA and making conditional trades. Much like last year seems like we are late to the dance. 

Let’s see how FA shakes out this year but man if boring is supposed to be sexy, 9 wins in two seasons isn’t showing me much. 

Question. What is the all time thumbs down @ JN.  This one is in for the running.

JD seems to only be interested in cutting talent. What else has he done to build this team? 

His arrogant comments today basically hinting they won’t make a run at Watson because we have to “hit on draft picks” reinforces this strategy of draft only. And why? His last class was a meh class at best.

Around the league teams are actively making moves prepping for FA and making conditional trades. Much like last year seems like we are late to the dance. 

Let’s see how FA shakes out this year but man if boring is supposed to be sexy, 9 wins in two seasons isn’t showing me much. 

You upvoted yourself. Lol

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2021 at 6:12 PM, SAR I said:

Amen.  Preach it.  It's like we hired someone from the Ravens and Eagles who knows how to gut a team and negotiate picks from hype playoff contenders and is afraid to actually make a decision and do something with them.

Note to JN:  We have been "rebuilding" since 2017.  "Suck For Sam", remember?  Douglas didn't launch the Jets rebuild, he inherited it mid-stream.  Yet they give Gase 4 games and Douglas, what, 4 years?  Give me a break.

SAR I

2 and 14.  

I know Gase is your hero and there is some confusion around the saying. So next time play it safe and only pick a hero that is wearing a cape.

I had to downvote this to get it to an even 40. That is impressive, I am sure it has happened but I can't recall a real post that got a worse reaction.

I would say let's wait for the offseason to start before we say the guy has no plan. Last year was Covid and he was probably under a $ restraint. Which is great news, even a little more talent might have been enough to have Gase keep his job.

Douglas ran the search and ended up with Saleh. The new league year hasn't started yet. So right now Douglas is 3 for 3 this offseason. Dropping Gase, and getting Saleh and his staff here, the third is having Saleh report to him. No more ownership meddling this is a big win.

image.png

• Upvote 3

On 3/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, Dunnie said:

There is no defending Kalil ... that was near Gholston level fail.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Not even close. One cost 10 million bucks in a year they were under the cap, the other was one of the worst draft picks all time.

This is in no way defending the signing of Kalil, he played terribly. But hiring a GM after free agency and the draft isn't a good idea. So Douglas didn't have a good backup Kicker option when the starter retired and he signed Kalil.  No GM is going to be perfect, but those mistakes are far from the most terrible in recent Jets history.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Not even close. One cost 10 million bucks in a year they were under the cap, the other was one of the worst draft picks all time.

This is in no way defending the signing of Kalil, he played terribly. But hiring a GM after free agency and the draft isn't a good idea. So Douglas didn't have a good backup Kicker option when the starter retired and he signed Kalil.  No GM is going to be perfect, but those mistakes are far from the most terrible in recent Jets history.

And those were rookie mistakes, made by a rookie GM.  Douglas seems to be getting better with experience, and hopefully his decisions during what may turn out to be the most important offseason in his career will bear that out.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I’m willing to give JD benefit of the doubt and say Kalil and Vedvik were Gase signings

• Haha 2