Jump to content

Who will the Jets draft with the #2 pick?


What will the Jets do with the #2 pick?  

140 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will the Jets draft with the #2 pick? Not what you want to happen, but think what will happen.

    • Zack Wilson
      58
    • Justin Fields
      10
    • Penei Sewell
      4
    • Chase/Smith
      3
    • Trade down the pick
      56
    • Trade the pick to the Texans for Deshaun Watson
      9


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a BYU QB with 1 year of notable production, two shoulder surgeries and zero experience managing pressure - has doubled the votes against obvious Watson clone with better accuracy and big game winning

After today comments from Douglas regarding Sam, seems like it’s a no brainer it’ll be Wilson 

It's kinda hilarious. When Fields beat Lawrence head-to-head, the reaction on this board was basically, "oh no! what if Jax takes Fields over Trevor, now?!?" Fields is hurt and loses the following wee

Posted Images

Any QB is eventually going to need a Chase/Smith or it’s just the hamster wheel of mediocrity 

take one of them 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, slats said:

It's kinda hilarious. When Fields beat Lawrence head-to-head, the reaction on this board was basically, "oh no! what if Jax takes Fields over Trevor, now?!?" Fields is hurt and loses the following week, and now he's trash. 

Wilson is flat out better than Fields. He just is, and the overwhelming percentage of evaluators think that as well. Simms, who has been fantastic at predicting QBs thinks there is even a significant gap above Lawrence. People here just do not want to accept how good Wilson is and that is fine, but he is a better prospect than Fields. I think there is a possibility JD prefers Fields because of size, but it would be shocking to me if LaFleur and Saleh do not fall in love with Wilson who is also a better fit for us. I am confident that Wilson will be the best QB from this class.  We will see if I am right, I have not been this sure of a QB since Mahomes and I was on a limb then too. I did not care much for D. Watson so not saying I am a QB guru. Wilson just jumps off the screen at you. Most of the Wilson criticisms are just bogus.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Houston Texans will take Zach Wilson with the # 2 pick.  

After the press conference there is zero chance of that. I think the Watson discussions have already happened and JD and Houston are FAR off in trade compensation.  He essentially said it in his answer to Connor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

After today comments from Douglas regarding Sam, seems like it’s a no brainer it’ll be Wilson 

Agree.  And I really think Wilson is going to be a bust.  I also believe the same of Fields.  Other than Trevor Lawrence, the only QB in the draft I'd want anything to do with is Mac Jones.  On the other hand... QB's are risky draft picks any way you slice it.   As of late, I've come to believe that the situation the QB prospect winds up in is far more important that the QB's abilities themselves. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

After the press conference there is zero chance of that. I think the Watson discussions have already happened and JD and Houston are FAR off in trade compensation.  He essentially said it in his answer to Connor.

This would be correct if GM's always told the truth in press conferences, and teams never came down on their trade demands approaching a deadline.

The closer to the draft we get, with the Texans facing the prospect of no 1st or 2nd round pick + AJ McCarron at QB, the less they'll be looking to get back in a deal for Watson.  

JD has proven to be a pretty solid negotiator in trades so far, so I don't think he'll have to give up any more than he's willing to in order to acquire Watson.  There's still plenty of time for Houston to fall in love with Zach Wilson and pull the trigger on a trade.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be correct if GM's always told the truth in press conferences, and teams never came down on their trade demands approaching a deadline.

The closer to the draft we get, with the Texans facing the prospect of no 1st or 2nd round pick + AJ McCarron at QB, the less they'll be looking to get back in a deal for Watson.  

JD has proven to be a pretty solid negotiator in trades so far, so I don't think he'll have to give up any more than he's willing to in order to acquire Watson.  There's still plenty of time for Houston to fall in love with Zach Wilson and pull the trigger on a trade.

True but if you look at comments within the contextual framework of past history they say more than it seems at first glance. We know JD is almost obsessive about draft pick value, and his comment essentially was he won't give away the farm where he has to hit on every pick. I think they pursued it and that has passed. We probably offered something like 2, 34 and Sam which would be around the 4 firsts value people initially thought for Watson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slats said:

It's kinda hilarious. When Fields beat Lawrence head-to-head, the reaction on this board was basically, "oh no! what if Jax takes Fields over Trevor, now?!?" Fields is hurt and loses the following week, and now he's trash. 

It’s unbelievable.... unbelievable. The hyper-short attention span and herd mentality in North America is simply staggering. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Wilson is flat out better than Fields. He just is, and the overwhelming percentage of evaluators think that as well. Simms, who has been fantastic at predicting QBs thinks there is even a significant gap above Lawrence. People here just do not want to accept how good Wilson is and that is fine, but he is a better prospect than Fields. I think there is a possibility JD prefers Fields because of size, but it would be shocking to me if LaFleur and Saleh do not fall in love with Wilson who is also a better fit for us. I am confident that Wilson will be the best QB from this class.  We will see if I am right, I have not been this sure of a QB since Mahomes and I was on a limb then too. I did not care much for D. Watson so not saying I am a QB guru. Wilson just jumps off the screen at you. Most of the Wilson criticisms are just bogus.

Drivel. 

An overwhelming number of "evaluators" thought RG3, Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler were better than Russell Wilson

So there goes that. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

What do I think the Jets will do? I’m 90% sure they will draft Zach Wilson 

Sams contract situation just doesn’t fit the rebuild timeline, and going on hope that he fixes his issues is too risky 

Chris Simms is best friends with Kyle Shanahan, I am sure they share similar views on the QBs. I don’t see how Mike Lefleur isn’t in love with Wilson. 
 

The writing is on the wall IMO and I am a huge Fields guy 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not at all sure what will actually happen, but I am definitely preparing myself for major disappointment. And I trust JD. I just am very uncomfortable with the options that could present themselves. We should have gone full tank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't a clue what JD is going to do.  So I won't shout down other peoples opinions about JD's comments.

But it seems to me he said only one real statement.  He believes you build through the draft.

Everything else seemed liked bargaining points.

  1.   Like Sam, golly gee he's available for the right price.  Great athlete, etc.  Give me a call.
  2.   Watson?  Great athlete.  Would love to have him. Price has to be right.
  3.   Draft a QB?  They are all great athletes.  Won't complete our evaluations until after their pro days.
  4.   Trade down.  Jets need more great athletes.  Price has to be right.
  5.   Keeping busy?  Yup, we're evaluating all these great athletes.  Won't make any decisions til we're done.  But call if you have an offer.

So I don't think we know any more than we did before he went before the press.

I also think he did exactly what he should have done in a meaningless press event like that.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, QB1 said:

What do I think the Jets will do? I’m 90% sure they will draft Zach Wilson 

Sams contract situation just doesn’t fit the rebuild timeline, and going on hope that he fixes his issues is too risky 

Chris Simms is best friends with Kyle Shanahan, I am sure they share similar views on the QBs. I don’t see how Mike Lefleur isn’t in love with Wilson. 
 

The writing is on the wall IMO and I am a huge Fields guy 

This 

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.4b35305efe82efbcc253de81e4330e56.jpeg

 

You have to be insane to think the jets are keeping Sam, after the GM goes on record and calls him untouchable to the next year saying he would answer calls for him..  

 

We aren’t trading out the pick unless it’s for Watson. AND IMO I think the Jets are sold enough on Zach Wilson that they probably will play hardball with the Texans with one offer and stand firm on it.

 

We have enough draft picks and cap room where we can build a fine team around a rookie QB or Watson if the trade is reasonable.
 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Drivel. 

An overwhelming number of "evaluators" thought RG3, Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler were better than Russell Wilson

So there goes that. 

It seriously seems you have not watched him play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

It seriously seems you have not watched him play.

I can’t with you this year. You’re worse than my 16-year-old daughter with her stubborn self righteous takes. You’re completely unwilling to listen and entertain a different perspective. You’ve convinced yourself that Wilson is touched by the hand of God himself and that’s that

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I can’t with you this year. You’re worse than my 16-year-old daughter with her stubborn self righteous takes. You’re completely unwilling to listen and entertain a different perspective. You’ve convinced yourself that Wilson is touched by the hand of God himself and that’s that

 

Not true. If your argument is to dismiss him because he was not great in 2019 so be it. I do not think it means very much but you do you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watson.  

Trade the farm.  If Watson not traded by draft day, trade down for more ammo.

If no trade offer, take Wilson or Fields to use in a future trade for Watson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Wilson is flat out better than Fields. He just is, and the overwhelming percentage of evaluators think that as well. Simms, who has been fantastic at predicting QBs thinks there is even a significant gap above Lawrence. People here just do not want to accept how good Wilson is and that is fine, but he is a better prospect than Fields. I think there is a possibility JD prefers Fields because of size, but it would be shocking to me if LaFleur and Saleh do not fall in love with Wilson who is also a better fit for us. I am confident that Wilson will be the best QB from this class.  We will see if I am right, I have not been this sure of a QB since Mahomes and I was on a limb then too. I did not care much for D. Watson so not saying I am a QB guru. Wilson just jumps off the screen at you. Most of the Wilson criticisms are just bogus.

Perhaps.  But be fair. 

When was the last time a small QB went in the top ten picks?  Yes, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers worked out as did Russell Wilson.  But Brees went at the end of the first, Rodgers fell into the 20s and Wilson was a 3d round pick.  As for Kyler Murrey, he is a gadget player who has running ability that Wilson does not possess. 

We just finished 2-14.  How can you justify being the first team since the old offensive line era to take a small guy in the top ten?  Never mind the top two.  I just do not get the idea of Wilson at #2.  It is not reasonable. 

As for Fields, Ohio State Qbs always have excellent stats.  Haskins threw 50 TDs his senior year and did not have NFL touch.   Even then, he went 15th and the Washington Team Football (the WTF) knew he was a risk.  So is Fields.  If Fields was a four year starter, that would be one thing, but he is not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, QB1 said:

What do I think the Jets will do? I’m 90% sure they will draft Zach Wilson 

Sams contract situation just doesn’t fit the rebuild timeline, and going on hope that he fixes his issues is too risky 

Chris Simms is best friends with Kyle Shanahan, I am sure they share similar views on the QBs. I don’t see how Mike Lefleur isn’t in love with Wilson. 
 

The writing is on the wall IMO and I am a huge Fields guy 

I do not understand the concern for Woody's money as it pertains to Sam.  To me it is a no brainer that we pick up his option.  It would be the same as two years for 30 million.  15 million per season is the going rate for starting QBs.  It is not a lot of money.  The top guys are getting 40 million per and some of them are malcontents like Watson.  I cannot condemn or praise Sam since I have no idea what he would look like with competent receivers, a decent offensive line and good ground game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Drivel. 

An overwhelming number of "evaluators" thought RG3, Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler were better than Russell Wilson

So there goes that. 

You have to admit you are making the case for picking Sewell.  Offensive lineman are not as risky and we must hit on the #2 pick.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If the jets are smart and wake up and finally have a good offseason like my Knicks it will be one of these two at 2

 

 

As for the Knicks, isn't wonderful?  It has been so long.  They finally stopped hurling their picks at the latest star player and took the BAP and coached the basics.  There is a lesson there Jet fans. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Not true. If your argument is to dismiss him because he was not great in 2019 so be it. I do not think it means very much but you do you.

What bothers me is his size and injury history.  I see nothing to justify the #2 pick.  Really.  Same with Fields. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not true. If your argument is to dismiss him because he was not great in 2019 so be it. I do not think it means very much but you do you.

No I don’t. I think he’s not battle tested, and I’m not sure how much of his moxie highlight reel translates. Does that mean he’ll suck? Hell no. He might be great 

but I’m not rolling that fcking dice at 2 sonny. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Perhaps.  But be fair. 

When was the last time a small QB went in the top ten picks?  Yes, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers worked out as did Russell Wilson.  But Brees went at the end of the first, Rodgers fell into the 20s and Wilson was a 3d round pick.  As for Kyler Murrey, he is a gadget player who has running ability that Wilson does not possess. 

We just finished 2-14.  How can you justify being the first team since the old offensive line era to take a small guy in the top ten?  Never mind the top two.  I just do not get the idea of Wilson at #2.  It is not reasonable. 

As for Fields, Ohio State Qbs always have excellent stats.  Haskins threw 50 TDs his senior year and did not have NFL touch.   Even then, he went 15th and the Washington Team Football (the WTF) knew he was a risk.  So is Fields.  If Fields was a four year starter, that would be one thing, but he is not. 

I still don't get where this "small" thing comes from. He is not a big QB, but he's way bigger than Brees, and taller than Mayfield,  and bigger than RW and Murray. Yes they have not traditionally gone high but I would have thought that the success of smaller QB would have erased that. There have been pictures recently of Wilson with Brees (he towers over him) and working out with Fields where he is about the same size.

So Wilson is literally bigger than 2 of the last 3 QBs picked at #1 so I am do not understand where your statement of How can you justify being the first team since the old offensive line era to take a small guy in the top ten comes from. It is just not true. It has happened literally 2 of the last 3 years and Wilson is a better runner than Mayfield. People seem to think he is like 5'8"

Wilson might not be prototypical height but he is not small either compared to recent QBs that have hag good success.

I am all in on Wilson obviously and have been for like 5 weeks. Respected QB analysts like Greg Cossell and Simms really like him and both of those guys did not like Sam much and he is QB#2 on may analysts boards so it's not like I am banging the table for someone projected to go 3rd round. He is already in the #2 spot before we even reach the point where QBs start getting pushed up boards.

Taking a QB at 2 is always a risk. But his talent and throwing ability is off the charts. We do not have to trade for him like Sam, and we know that SF has liked him for a while so he is a perfect fit for our offense. Just seems like the clear pick to me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, clayton163v said:

As for the Knicks, isn't wonderful?  It has been so long.  They finally stopped hurling their picks at the latest star player and took the BAP and coached the basics.  There is a lesson there Jet fans. 

Just make smart draft picks and properly develop young players

3D9A777E-D91D-4C34-B20F-E66B0B658C90.jpeg.c8a6c432d3a59895859256d221a9022e.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I want Sewell but they will trade down. Wilson at 2 is a hype machine all smoke no fire 

If they trade down we gotta get Pitts at 4 like Kiper has been saying.  Dude is going to be a monster in the NFL

https://youtu.be/qCgLyoZ929E

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...