Giants release WR Golden Tate ahead of free agency to clear cap space

Giants release receiver Golden Tate ahead of free agency to clear cap space, per report

Tate was halfway through a four-year deal

By Bryan DeArdo

1 hr ago1 min read

USA Today

Golden Tate has become the latest salary cap causality ahead of the NFL's new league year. The New York Giants have released the veteran receiver, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The 32-year-old Tate was in the middle of a four-year, $37.5 million contract with the Giants. 

Tate's contract would have resulted in a cap hit of just under $11 million. Prior to the news of Tate's release, the Giants' projected 2021 cap space was under $500,000, according to Over The Cap. This year's salary cap, which would have been north of $200 million, is expected to be around $185 million. The lower salary cap is a result of financial losses due to COVID-19. 

The 60th overall pick in the 2010 draft, Tate spent his first four NFL seasons in Seattle, where he helped the Seahawks win the franchise's first Super Bowl in 2013. He spent the next four and a half seasons with the Lions, where he earned his first and only Pro Bowl selection in 2014. After three 1,000-yard seasons with the Lions, Tate was traded from Detroit to Philadelphia midway through the 2018 season. 

After an underwhelming stint with the Eagles, Tate signed a long-term deal with the Giants during the 2019 offseason. In two seasons in New York, Tate caught 84 passes for 1,064 yards and eight touchdowns. Tate endured a rocky 2020 season that saw him catch just 35 passes for 388 yards and two touchdowns, his lowest totals since his second NFL season. 

Tate's 2020 season included being a healthy scratch after he publicly demanded the ball during New York's Week 8 loss to the Buccaneers. Tate later apologized for his actions. 

Receiver was among the Giants' offseason needs before Wednesday's news of Tate's release. In their recent mock drafts, CBS Sports draft analysts Chris Trapasso and Josh Edwards have the Giants using the No. 11 overall pick on Florida receiver Kadarius Toney and Alabama wideout DeVonta Smith, respectively. Conversely, fellow CBS Sports draft analyst Ryan Wilson has the Giants using the pick on Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons. 

The Giants do have their top three receivers from last season under contract. Darius Slayton led the Giants with 751 receiving yards. Despite missing four games, Sterling Shepard caught a team-high 66 passes. Tight end Evan Engram earned Pro Bowl honors after catching 63 passes for 654 yards. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The difference right now is negligible. Golden Tate has had a far better career than Crowder. 

Not with Detroit and the Giants the last few years.  Their comparable years of Giants play and Jets play, Crowders been better.  With less around him.  I cant say what Crowder would have been capable of with R Wilson or Stafford but the years Tate played with those two Crowder wasnt playing NFL ball.  

And you also have to factor in the locker room issues.  

• Upvote 1

They also cut David Mayo, who was an ILB for them but who can also play SLB in a 4-3.

I wouldn't mind the Jets bringing him in, if he can be had at a reasonable rate. He could compete at SLB and also provide MLB depth behind Mosley.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Crowder fir me is the model of what I want ... productive team player the leads by example... Tate ... locker room issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

fuinny how you want a guy who cant get open when it counts and talents make him fit only for a role that most teams dont really have. Most team just stick the non WR1,.2 in the slot...albeit that has been changing a bit, but really only in the fact where they have thier number 1 stud run in the slot to take advantage of the opposing side 3cb. 

Crowder if garbage/

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Funny because the stats don't support that at all.

Tate has played about twice as many games as Crowder but their game and season averages are almost identical in every way.  And Crowder is five years younger, and a better teammate.  There is literally no reason to prefer Tate over Crowder other than maybe getting him cheaper, which isn't a top priority for us at this moment in time.

HARD pass.

Tate has 3 1,000 yard seasons. Crowder has none. I didn’t advocate one over the other. All I said was the difference between the two is very little. Crowder is overpaid for the production. If you can replace him cheaper, I’d rather do it in the draft. 

33 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Tate has 3 1,000 yard seasons. Crowder has none. I didn’t advocate one over the other. All I said was the difference between the two is very little. Crowder is overpaid for the production. If you can replace him cheaper, I’d rather do it in the draft. 

You don't sign or retain a player, for his age 33 season & beyond, because of what they most recently did 4 seasons ago at age 29. 

His 2019-2020 numbers combined are about what he used to do in 1 season back then. Not anymore, though. 

1003 --> 795 --> 676 --> 388 --> ???  is not an inspiring trend. Also while Crowder hasn't been an NFL Gehrig/Ripken himself, Tate missing games to injury on 3 different occasions with 3 separate injuries (week 1, week 9, weeks 15-16) this past year is a legit concern.

Also he's a douche. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't sign or retain a player, for his age 33 season & beyond, because of what they most recently did 4 seasons ago at age 29. 

His 2019-2020 numbers combined are about what he used to do in 1 season back then. Not anymore, though. 

1003 --> 795 --> 676 --> 388 --> ???  is not an inspiring trend. Also while Crowder hasn't been an NFL Gehrig/Ripken himself, Tate missing games to injury on 3 different occasions with 3 separate injuries (week 1, week 9, weeks 15-16) this past year is a legit concern.

Also he's a douche. 

TRUE

Mostly TRUE

TRUE

Also he's a douche. 

TRUE

BUT ALL THAT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT HIM RIGHT NOW WOULD STILL BE ABLE TO GET OPEN BETTER THAN CROWDER, THAT HE IS TOUGHER THAN CROWDER AND THAT HE WOULD OUT RIGHT BE BTTER SLOT GUY THAN CROWDER...

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

TRUE

Mostly TRUE

TRUE

Also he's a douche. 

TRUE

BUT ALL THAT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT HIM RIGHT NOW WOULD STILL BE ABLE TO GET OPEN BETTER THAN CROWDER, THAT HE IS TOUGHER THAN CROWDER AND THAT HE WOULD OUT RIGHT BE BTTER SLOT GUY THAN CROWDER...

Meh, the summary to your attempt at fact-checking is an opinion, not the fact you present it to be. I don’t even agree with any of these obviously debatable opinions, let alone accept all them as being remotely close to objective facts. e.g. I don’t know how “tough” someone is when he needs to be pulled from the active roster 3 separate times in the most recent season, when he had to be concerned about maintaining a roster spot at $10MM. 

Right now, personality aside (though that only adds to it), I’d take Crowder over Tate, salary dollar for dollar. And that’s even just based on last season; a year later in 2021 and the separation between them is likely to only separate further in Crowder’s favor, not for an already Crowder-advantage to narrow.

Also my “mostly true” is totally true, not mostly true. His numbers from the past 2 seasons combined (84 receptions for 1064 yards) are about what he used to do in just 1 season. He eclipsed those figures in 2 of his first 3 seasons with Detroit. This is a fact. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Well people will debate whether JD wants more cap space vs a solid performer.

I think if he is let go it’ll be because of one (or both) of two reasons:

1. The FA WR Douglas adds is Juju, with the other 3 bigger names getting tagged. Or maybe Samuel, though I think he’s unlikely to end up here (he’ll have a lot of suitors, and I doubt Anderson talked up the Jets & Darnold very much last year). JSS has lined up outside for a good amount of time, but in their best roles all 3 play the same position.

2. They do somehow end up signing someone like Allen Robinson, his $20-22MM/year will make it even harder to justify Crowder at $10MM. He might then still stick if he agrees to a $3MM cut - I doubt anyone else forks over $10MM/yr for him either this spring, and Douglas has successfully gotten that done last year - but if it’s too much he’ll just see what he can get elsewhere. 

And maybe throw in reason #3 which is Crowder has no trade value at that salary. Douglas would have to eat half of it just to recoup a 2022 day 3 pick this summer, so he may as well cut him outright. 

It’s also possible that Douglas approaches him in late August with an offer of guaranteeing his slot in exchange for a salary reduction. Kind of an icky squeeze to put on the player, but the only reason it’s got teeth is Crowder - while he’ll definitely find work - may not be able to get $6MM in the week before the season when few teams have both a slot hole and also that cap room to burn on a 1 yr band-aid at the position. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, the summary to your attempt at fact-checking is an opinion, not the fact you present it to be. I don’t even agree with any of these obviously debatable opinions, let alone accept all them as being remotely close to objective facts. e.g. I don’t know how “tough” someone is when he needs to be pulled from the active roster 3 separate times in the most recent season, when he had to be concerned about maintaining a roster spot at $10MM. 

Right now, personality aside (though that only adds to it), I’d take Crowder over Tate, salary dollar for dollar. And that’s even just based on last season; a year later in 2021 and the separation between them is likely to only separate further in Crowder’s favor, not for an already Crowder-advantage to narrow.

Also my “mostly true” is totally true, not mostly true. His numbers from the past 2 seasons combined (84 receptions for 1064 yards) are about what he used to do in just 1 season. He eclipsed those figures in 2 of his first 3 seasons with Detroit. This is a fact. 

Lol this is a rather poor response.

Tate is a better player by all accounts. Stats, toughness, and getting open. Crowder can't play outside or compete with any teams first or second options at CB since being here. That is why we have this special role for him that usually just goes to the 3rd option or a nber 1 guy plays to take advantage of the mismatch, we just made him the slot guy so he could play. He literally doesn't nothing with it. 12 passes a game with 45 yards. Its a waste.

I mean I can't help of you don't watch highlights/games and don't understand basic offense.

Have you seen Tate play? Have you not seen crowder disappear on routes/entire quarters...etc.

Liking crowder at his salary ok guy... crazy.

I really like your "totally true" comment. Yeah it's totally just almost, I mean not exact but mostly true. Yeah got iti

It is all just opinion, we are on jetsnation arguing about two guys that shouldn't be starting for any team in the NFL especially not at that crowder salary

13 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Tate’s best days are behind him.  There’s a reason the giants are saying bye

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think if he is let go it’ll be because of one (or both) of two reasons:

1. The FA WR Douglas adds is Juju, with the other 3 bigger names getting tagged. Or maybe Samuel, though I think he’s unlikely to end up here (he’ll have a lot of suitors, and I doubt Anderson talked up the Jets & Darnold very much last year). JSS has lined up outside for a good amount of time, but in their best roles all 3 play the same position.

2. They do somehow end up signing someone like Allen Robinson, his $20-22MM/year will make it even harder to justify Crowder at $10MM. He might then still stick if he agrees to a $3MM cut - I doubt anyone else forks over $10MM/yr for him either this spring, and Douglas has successfully gotten that done last year - but if it’s too much he’ll just see what he can get elsewhere. 

And maybe throw in reason #3 which is Crowder has no trade value at that salary. Douglas would have to eat half of it just to recoup a 2022 day 3 pick this summer, so he may as well cut him outright. 

It’s also possible that Douglas approaches him in late August with an offer of guaranteeing his slot in exchange for a salary reduction. Kind of an icky squeeze to put on the player, but the only reason it’s got teeth is Crowder - while he’ll definitely find work - may not be able to get $6MM in the week before the season when few teams have both a slot hole and also that cap room to burn on a 1 yr band-aid at the position. 

I agree Sperm.  I should have prefaced the conversation with everything changes depending on who's signed this offseason.  

Nice job

• Upvote 1