At this point you almost have to trade Sam

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not without the great Coach Gase, amirite? ?

I guess we're not gonna see the usual "I think we're starting 5-0, and going 12-4, and that's ok!" thread from you later this summer?

I am disappointed.

Half the team, literally, are free agents returning from 1-year contracts, we haven't announced a starting QB, and we haven't used all of that precious free agent windfalling drafting capital on anything.  Oh, but we have a boisterous head coach who only two press conferences in has already made his catchphrase cringeworthy.

I'll have an opinion on W's and L's when I see what the roster looks like.  It will be presented live on OnlyFans for $9.99 at some point in the summer.

SAR I

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed, we're all humans.  Uncertainty about whether you have job security should be incentive to work harder, not get worse.  He has a big 2nd contract as a reward to provide further incentive.  

Darnold was the unquestioned starter for the last 3 years.  How did that supposed confidence boost work out for him?

If somehow they do keep Sam (which is looking less likely by the day to me) it'd be a good idea to sign a high level back up to compete and push him.

After Chris Simms's rec tho I'm on the Zach Wilson bandwagon.

Really I just want someone to tell me who to love so I can commence doing so. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I am pretty sure JD has already informed Sam what the plan is. He’s not twisting in the wind. Let’s be realistic.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold twisting in the wind after Jets’ about-face

March 3, 2021 | 8:37pm 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Joe, I know your first instinct was to post this as a separate thread entitled “Steve Serby NY Post Sam Darnold Twisting In The Wind After Jets About-Face Sam Darnold Joe Douglas Robert Saleh Hymie Elhai NFL New York Jets Sam Darnold,” but instead you simply copied and pasted the title into this existing thread. I just want to say: I see you, and I’m proud of you.

Posted it because of the reference made by @section314 about Sam Darnold twisting in the wind. 

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

If somehow they do keep Sam (which is looking less likely by the day to me) it'd be a good idea to sign a high level back up to compete and push him.

After Chris Simms's rec tho I'm on the Zach Wilson bandwagon.

Really I just want someone to tell me who to love so I can commence doing so. 

Yep.  Please sign Winston or someone like Tyrod Taylor, Dalton, Fitzpatrick, etc.

47 minutes ago, football guy said:

As Joe said in the Jets press conference yesterday, the coaching staff will not sit in the draft meetings until next week. 

The coaching staff is pretty unanimous in sharing high opinions of Sam Darnold. They think he's a legitimate QB with the ability to execute their offense at a high level and the kind of talent to be a top 10 QB if realized. Whether their perspective carries weight, and how they feel about QBs in this draft, remains to be seen. 

What Joe is doing is being transparent. Sam's  been aware that this would be the plan since late last year, and does not have the kind of ego to let this bother him. He thinks he'll be a Jet, understands if he's not.

If anything, fans should appreciate the Jets transparency. There is a time and a place to play poker (i.e. draft prospects, game plan), but acknowledging the reality that you're keeping your options open is pretty obvious. Teams aren't stupid, and teams have sources. You're not fooling anyone. Just say it how it is and let the cards play out. If you come out and say "Sam's our guy" and you trade him, that looks worse. If you say "Sam's available", you kind of ruin your market the way Philly did (it worked with Matthew Stafford, but he's an elite QB with a reasonable contract and no projection required; Wentz/Darnold are not to that level). 

I feel like for years - especially under Idzik/Maccagnan - everything had to be a classified top secret. Everyone knows. Keep the real things tight to the vest and acknowledge the obvious. 

I really appreciate your posts and insight.  I just don't buy it.  They have several years NFL data/film on Sam, locker room insight, first hand work ethic, personality, college film and data etc etc.  JD and Rob know whether Sam fits the system and is the QB or not that will be successful - this on the fence stance is nonsense imo.  

For any of the college QB's, you have 2 maybe 3 yrs college  film data if you are lucky.  Sure some insight in college locker room and what the coaches say. But to say that a college QB is going to supersede Sam based on more evaluation up to the draft is again BS in my opinion - they know already.  

My guess is that JD is very high on one of the QB's (my guess is Lawrence) and maybe they believe there is a small chance they can get him and won't commit until he's off the board.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like what Joe Douglas should do is paint the opening to a fake train tunnel on the side of a mountain near Sam’s house and let nature take its course

Yeah but he'd probably miss the tunnel end up on the side of road where he'd get bit by a rabid racoon which wouldn't flare up and get diagnosed until like game 5 of 2021. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Sam was the 33rd ranked QB last year and the team went 2-14. If he’s a big boy he’ll understand why the starting job isn’t guaranteed to be his on March 4th.

yep, i think so too.  the qb needs to be comfortable in his own skin and have lots of toughness.  i look at a guy like derek carr in las vegas who has been rumored to be in gruden's doghouse and on the way out.  yet he came up pretty big last season.  some guys rise and meet the adversity head on.

6 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I'l admit that I am a Darnold fan and do think he can be very successful in the NFL.  I really believe he wasn't given a fair shot in the NFL.  No QB coach, no weapons, 2 different head coaches and 2 different offenses in his short stint.  If he does stay, I think he can turn it around and he might be able to turn it around somewhere else.

With that being said, his confidence must be shot a this point the way that JD an Saleh are so non committal.  You DON'T act this way towards your starting QB as the GM or head coach and don't say you're open to calls.   Let's face it, QB's need their ego stroked a bit and confidence is everything for them AND the team.  By saying what has been said, and lack of commitment, they are undermining his credibility with the rest of the team.  All players, especially on offense, need to be all in with their QB.

Now maybe they are saying something different to Sam behind the scenes, who knows.  But if so, IMO this is a very dangerous game .  At the end of the day, unfortunately, I think he goes.  I am not sold they draft a QB early although if Sam is not the guy, not sure what other options they have but to do so.  I don't think the go Watson because of the asking price.  JD clearly stated, build the team through draft.

I appreciate your post but also wonder if Joe Douglas comes out and publicly blows smoke up Sams azz that he's our guy in 2021, how exactly does that help our draft position in attempting to trade down?  Doesnt JD doing exactly what he is doing in making everyone think we may take a QB drive up the chance for someone to want to blow us away with an offer for the #2 ? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

I appreciate your post but also wonder if Joe Douglas comes out and publicly blows smoke up Sams azz that he's our guy in 2021, how exactly does that help our draft position in attempting to trade down?  Doesnt JD doing exactly what he is doing in making everyone think we may take a QB drive up the chance for someone to want to blow us away with an offer for the #2 ? 

This could be a realistic strategy.  I often wonder why Sam's agent has been so quiet during this process.

I don't see why this is such a touchy subject.  Sam should know he played like a bottom 5 starting QB last year, even after adjusting for the horrible coaching and roster.  It's not a secret we need to beat around.  The guy hasn't played well enough to earn untouchable status.

Sam needs to take his lumps like a man, start over fresh somewhere else where he can reset his internal clock, and do better at his next opportunity.  He'll never be able to see the field well as a Jet given what he's been through.

17 hours ago, football guy said:

As Joe said in the Jets press conference yesterday, the coaching staff will not sit in the draft meetings until next week. 

The coaching staff is pretty unanimous in sharing high opinions of Sam Darnold. They think he's a legitimate QB with the ability to execute their offense at a high level and the kind of talent to be a top 10 QB if realized. Whether their perspective carries weight, and how they feel about QBs in this draft, remains to be seen. 

What Joe is doing is being transparent. Sam's  been aware that this would be the plan since late last year, and does not have the kind of ego to let this bother him. He thinks he'll be a Jet, understands if he's not.

If anything, fans should appreciate the Jets transparency. There is a time and a place to play poker (i.e. draft prospects, game plan), but acknowledging the reality that you're keeping your options open is pretty obvious. Teams aren't stupid, and teams have sources. You're not fooling anyone. Just say it how it is and let the cards play out. If you come out and say "Sam's our guy" and you trade him, that looks worse. If you say "Sam's available", you kind of ruin your market the way Philly did (it worked with Matthew Stafford, but he's an elite QB with a reasonable contract and no projection required; Wentz/Darnold are not to that level). 

I feel like for years - especially under Idzik/Maccagnan - everything had to be a classified top secret. Everyone knows. Keep the real things tight to the vest and acknowledge the obvious. 

I love JD's honesty. From when he admitted his mistake with Robby to now saying he'll take calls on Sam if there are any. There's no point in doing the run around, just be transparent. Hopefully this type of communication is happening with the players behind closed doors as well, don't give them the run around.

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

5th dimensional 3d but rendering in 4k chess, that is what Joe Douglas is playing right now.

Sheeple can't even see it and they be like Joe is overmatched. Joe isn't my GM.  Sit back and enjoy the show, we finally have a leader running this team.

Happy Half Baked GIF

22 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I'l admit that I am a Darnold fan and do think he can be very successful in the NFL.  I really believe he wasn't given a fair shot in the NFL.  No QB coach, no weapons, 2 different head coaches and 2 different offenses in his short stint.  If he does stay, I think he can turn it around and he might be able to turn it around somewhere else.

With that being said, his confidence must be shot a this point the way that JD an Saleh are so non committal.  You DON'T act this way towards your starting QB as the GM or head coach and don't say you're open to calls.   Let's face it, QB's need their ego stroked a bit and confidence is everything for them AND the team.  By saying what has been said, and lack of commitment, they are undermining his credibility with the rest of the team.  All players, especially on offense, need to be all in with their QB.

Now maybe they are saying something different to Sam behind the scenes, who knows.  But if so, IMO this is a very dangerous game .  At the end of the day, unfortunately, I think he goes.  I am not sold they draft a QB early although if Sam is not the guy, not sure what other options they have but to do so.  I don't think the go Watson because of the asking price.  JD clearly stated, build the team through draft.

Very mystical.

18 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep, i think so too.  the qb needs to be comfortable in his own skin and have lots of toughness.  i look at a guy like derek carr in las vegas who has been rumored to be in gruden's doghouse and on the way out.  yet he came up pretty big last season.  some guys rise and meet the adversity head on.

Some QB's rise to the occasion, and some QB's Faint when they see ghosts .  :)

image.jpeg.8c235594b5f2cb4e2d46b52ef362be6d.jpeg