Who should the Jets sign to backup Zach Wilson?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put some respect on James Morgan name sir

Gonna check in with Zack Wilson’s parents to see what they think:  

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:44 AM, Nixhead said:

image.jpeg.044a81a0ac7d8fdc8fee9b2f7506f205.jpeg

Who should the Jets sign to backup Zach Wilson? That guy right up there. Lol

the suck part makes me laugh every time i see it

• Haha 2
On 3/4/2021 at 8:49 PM, Guilhermezmc said:

Put some respect on James Morgan name sir

Seriously if for some reason Wilson can't go I'd really like to see what we spent a 4th rounder on last year. We're not winning or making the playoffs this season and to pay to have a legit backup who can maybe win an extra game or two serves no purpose but to hurt our draft picks next year.

Get a legit backup when we have a legit chance in one or two years.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

I've always said Hoyer should be the guy.  He'd literally cost $1M but it's his experience in the offense and the intimate knowledge of the AFC defenses that make him the best option.  We're not looking for a guy to win really.  Someone that can help Wilson.  Teach him the Patriot and Dolphin defenses. 

• Upvote 3
37 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I've always said Hoyer should be the guy.  He'd literally cost $1M but it's his experience in the offense and the intimate knowledge of the AFC defenses that make him the best option.  We're not looking for a guy to win really.  Someone that can help Wilson.

He sucks. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He sucks. 

No argument there.  I did say we're not looking for a guy that can win.  It's his knowledge that i think is valuable.  

whatever backup we sign will suck - unless a foles trade and he pretty much sucks too but sucks less than some others - it’s really simple - wilson shows enough to,start week one and while taking rookie qb lumps progresses nicely through the season - if he really falters or gets hurt and is out for any length of time we’re seriously screwed- there isn’t any backup that will make a difference

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Can we just sign Matt Moore then at half-time of home games,  have pre-selected season ticket holders come down from the stands and kick him in the 'nads?

1) Nick Mullens (if healthy)
2) Brian Hoyer (fallback option)

Hoyer was in for a workout with the Jets a few weeks ago.  My guess is the Jets' first choice is Mullens who knows the system well.  If he isn't healthy enough for the start of camp, they'll sign Hoyer.

Morgan will get every chance to earn the backup spot in camp, but they still need another camp arm.

• Upvote 4
6 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Not the most encouraging list. 

04B67066-2B20-420C-BA2E-16BC3C46AB31.jpeg

Gabbert re-signed with Tampa and Bortles just signed with GB.  I assume either Hoyer, who visited with us last month, or Mullens will be added to the roster for the start of camp.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gabbert re-signed with Tampa and Bortles just signed with GB.  I assume either Hoyer, who visited with us last month, or Mullens will be added to the roster for the start of camp.

Matt Moore wouldn't be terrible either.

Nobody is going to like this but IMO they aren't going to sign anyone for awhile.  They will look at Morgan thru OTA's and maybe June camp.  If He isn't where they can trust him to fill in as a back up, they'll sign Hoyer.  

Sorry, but I think that's the way it will go.  :( 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Mullens is still rehabbing.  They think he will be ready in time for camp, but you can never be sure.  Once he is cleared he will sign.  Good chance that it is with the Jets.  If he is not ready they will probably jump back on Hoyer

• Upvote 2
On 3/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, GreekJet said:

CJ Beathard makes a lot of sense. Don’t think I would re-sign the corpse of Joe Flacco. Let Beathard and Wilson battle it out in camp. 

No one. We have plenty of coaching for Zach. 

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson is going to start week 1.

Morgan is as adequate a backup as any of the losers available in FA.

This is, IMO, the single most overwrought question in sports.

There is no need whatsoever to sign some other JAG to sit behind Wilson.  Somehow other NFL teams manage to start young backup QB's and their teams don't all mass-ragequit over it.  I am sure ours won't either.

A "veteran backup" is basically only needed if you are a Super Bowl contender.  Otherwise, it's a waste of assets, teams should be developing their own young backups, not paying some old man to hold a clipboard and pat their #1 QB on the back and make jokes about "back in my day....".

JMO, I'm perfectly happy to go into 2021 with Wilson, Morgan, White.

Anyway, what's the worry, we were told endlessly in the leadup to this draft that Wilson's not an injury risk, his size isn't an issue.  So why are we worrying about him missing time?

Agree 100%. We do not need a backup.

A viable backup plan/QB is needed. 

All the decent free agent QB's have been signed. 

Once again its scrap heap shopping time for the NY Jets. 

If its James Captain Morgan so be it just hope he's not Luke Falk II

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

No one.

Counter Question:  Why do the Jets "need" to sign someone to backup Wilson?

"Need" is a strong word, but it would be nice if the QB room had someone with some starting experience under their belt.  Mentorship isn't the end all be all, but there is value to it.  It's nice to have a peer to bounce ideas or thoughts off of who is not a coach or someone you report to.

• Upvote 2
43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson is going to start week 1.

Morgan is as adequate a backup as any of the losers available in FA.

This is, IMO, the single most overwrought question in sports.

There is no need whatsoever to sign some other JAG to sit behind Wilson.  Somehow other NFL teams manage to start young backup QB's and their teams don't all mass-ragequit over it.  I am sure ours won't either.

A "veteran backup" is basically only needed if you are a Super Bowl contender.  Otherwise, it's a waste of assets, teams should be developing their own young backups, not paying some old man to hold a clipboard and pat their #1 QB on the back and make jokes about "back in my day....".

JMO, I'm perfectly happy to go into 2021 with Wilson, Morgan, White.

Anyway, what's the worry, we were told endlessly in the leadup to this draft that Wilson's not an injury risk, his size isn't an issue.  So why are we worrying about him missing time?

We don't even know if Morgan is adequate enough to make the roster yet. Last year he wasn't even good enough to be the 3rd string QB; it's a role he filled in name alone; whenever Darnold or Flacco was down, they signed White off the street to automatically leapfrog Morgan.

If they think Morgan's usable on the field this year, fine. I'm in favor of that. Presumably the reason he was drafted in the first place was to be the team's QB2. If he enters camp as the QB2 and looks both awful and clueless, they should bring in someone else.

What I'm not ok with is automatically naming Morgan - nor Mike White, who couldn't even make the Cowboys' practice squad - the QB2 for the season even if both look like Hackenberg2 or Falk2 on the field. Let alone that this is desirable for the team to lose on purpose in Wilson's absence (i.e. the idea there should be only two team options: either start Wilson, or tank any/all non-Wilson games for higher draft picks).

This has nothing to do with a reflexive desire to bench Wilson, nor because he might or might not be thought of as more injury prone. I'm hardly one of those already saying in May, before any full team practices, that he needs to be benched; quite the opposite. The default with him should be starting Wilson, unless they think they need to work on his delivery or footwork or if he's not grasping the playbook or something, in which case bad/panic habits can get reinforced. Absent that, he's the QB. 

It's more a matter of the offense needs to be able to run even if the starter is out (particularly if it's for a few weeks or more). Not just for winning games, but because there are other players that need work, and it's terrible for team morale if we're just trotting the next Luke Falk onto the field. The blind leading the blind is not a good extended situation to have, let alone to do it on purpose to maximize a future draft pick. 

A QB doesn't "develop" any better just because he's being promoted into a role if he's unsuited for that role (just like Wilson also shouldn't start if he looks totally awful/lost).

Anyway, other than serving to satisfying the GM's ego I don't see the big advantage of a drafted QB2 vs. a veteran QB2 making at/around the league minimum. Totally different animal to bringing in Josh McCown for ~$10MM, which I'd agree is stewpid.

• Upvote 3