why the fields hate

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

but why?

Because I don't value his opinion in who the NY Jets should select in the draft at QB if they decide to go that route. 

Chris Simms rode his name and his fathers legacy in college and in the NFL he was never any good. 

He had horrible statistics as a starting QB what makes him a QB expert all of a sudden. 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

There is no statistical significance to what school a QB came from. Zero correlation.  None. ...if you feel regardless that the helmet deserves trepidation, ok I guess?... 

but Haskins couldn’t be further from Fields in strengths/style to which they play the position. It’s like comparing Jimmy Garapollo to Josh Allen. Completely obtuse  

Clearly you didn’t get it. I said too bad. Call it recent bias- please don’t accuse me of being racist. And YEAH we get it. You saw The Shawshank Redemption.

12 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Clearly you didn’t get it. I said too bad. Call it recent bias- please don’t accuse me of being racist. And YEAH we get it. You saw The Shawshank Redemption.

lol what? How the heck do you get Shawshank out of that? 

Look i don't really get you're trying to say. You think there's something coming out of Ohio that warrants concern. I can't get on board with that. Too many variables for why a QB who failed in 1995, or 2005 or 2015 isn't a meaningful predictor of Fields will be. You could say that if 40 years,  no meaningful QB from Ohio played in the nfl, so chances are this one won't either - sure - but looking specifically at Fields, right now - there's no reason to think that the last 40 years has anything to do with how he himself will play in the NFL. 

Social sciences can predict what people will do in group by the numbers sense, but is not at all a reliable estimate of what one person will do. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

This is why i only get casually involved in the draft 

i can enjoy every pick like a Christmas present instead of the agony of not getting the player I wanted 

Halloween is a better comparison for Jets draft picks.

d85873f73a24081ae43c987c6cd6e63e.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Larz said:

This is why i only get casually involved in the draft 

i can enjoy every pick like a Christmas present instead of the agony of not getting the player I wanted 

What if that Christmas present is socks ?

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

On 3/4/2021 at 10:02 PM, Paradis said:

To answer the OP's question -- I don't think anyone "hates" him, but i also don't think anyone consciously knows why its become popular to be disenfranchised with Fields. Have you ever read Gladwell's tipping point? It explores how social phenomenon's happen - how things essentially go viral in life. 

Anyway, happens all the time in the draft. It's like the opposite of FOMO in the investment world. 

I'm still holding 10k in Gamestop and AMC stock I won't sell ever. My AMC was back in the green though last I looked(days ago). I don't know why anyone would ever listen to me on anything. I don't know Galdwell, but I'm guessing he'd just shake his head at me. 

I don't even have that kind of money. I'm just not a Mets fan and found the bankrupting hedge funds funny

I was also just angry about them trying to short things I like out of existence. GameStop employees are the best. They played it all before I go in to ask and give me the best advice on what to get. I wish everyone was as dumb as me and willing to lose money for GameStop. The squeeze would have been epic when they bought back, lol

Edit

This is on now and sums me up. I didn't even go out tonight. I'm just waiting till it's late enough to fire up a chainsaw to cut up a tree that came down this week. Literally I'm bat sh*t crazy for the way I am or you guys are for not being like me. I think you're all on the wrong side, but that's also what any crazy person would say

• Upvote 1

Fields is an athletic freak with great raw natural skills. Explosive runner, strong arm. Overall an extremely gifted prospect, but i don't trust he will be able to handle complex NFL defenses

Wilson on the other hand is an extremely gritty player, who plays the game the right way, has great fundamentals, sneaky athletic. He is a grinder with great intagibles. Didn't you hear how he traveled 10 hours back and forth to train last off-season? Everything about him simply scream winner

29 minutes ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Fields is an athletic freak with great raw natural skills. Explosive runner, strong arm. Overall an extremely gifted prospect, but i don't trust he will be able to handle complex NFL defenses

Wilson on the other hand is an extremely gritty player, who plays the game the right way, has great fundamentals, sneaky athletic. He is a grinder with great intagibles. Didn't you hear how he traveled 10 hours back and forth to train last off-season? Everything about him simply scream winner

I think he has a shot to be a superstar ... dude is pretty freaking smart.   I think the same of Zach and like his style of play a bit more.  I am not a fan of dual threat QBs and have never been.   Going back to Fran Tarkenton.

I’m not disagreeing with you I think Fields is being wildly overrated 
I think that Wilson and Fields belong mid 1st round... which goes first depends on your preferences ... throwing ability vs dual threat athletic talent.

I have never liked running QBs ... all the way back to Tarkenton. List them all ... Vick, RG3 etc etc.... even Rogers. Though his arm is so special I'd make an exception.

I much prefer Brady, Brees, Aikman, Marino, Stafford style.

But the name calling of the physical appearance of a guy somehow affecting his play is nauseating ... I have never seen such ludicrous behavior on this board until Wilson started to climb the boards...

It's seriously 3rd grade sh*t.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I think the pocket passer is becoming an extinction. Not because they aren’t extremely valuable, but because the college game has changed so much and in the modern nfl you don’t have time to develop QBs anymore.

what you need now is an athletic player who has a big arm and is accurate. They don’t need to sit back and scan for three open receivers. If the first read is open , they need to hit them. If not, take off and run. That style of play is extremely difficult for a defense to play against. That is what Watson is. That’s what Fields is.

get fields and put receivers around him and we will be good right away if we use the rest of our capital to plug holes on defense and line. All assuming our coaching is good.

5 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I think the pocket passer is becoming an extinction. Not because they aren’t extremely valuable, but because the college game has changed so much and in the modern nfl you don’t have time to develop QBs anymore.

what you need now is an athletic player who has a big arm and is accurate. They don’t need to sit back and scan for three open receivers. If the first read is open , they need to hit them. If not, take off and run. That style of play is extremely difficult for a defense to play against. That is what Watson is. That’s what Fields is.

get fields and put receivers around him and we will be good right away if we use the rest of our capital to plug holes on defense and line. All assuming our coaching is good.

I can respect that point of view ... and completely disagree ... The one read or run idea is mainly because QBs have not been trusted to read defenses.

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I can respect that point of view ... and completely disagree ... The one read or run idea is mainly because QBs have not been trusted to read defenses.

Absolutely agree with the reasoning. Also think that’s what qb is becoming in NFL. 

that’s also why I think paying an insane amount for Watson is crazy. That’s exactly what he is. He does it really well and it makes him really effective, but that’s what he is.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Absolutely agree with the reasoning. Also think that’s what qb is becoming in NFL. 

that’s also why I think paying an insane amount for Watson is crazy. That’s exactly what he is. He does it really well and it makes him really effective, but that’s what he is.

Yep - while i have different reason .. i simply think no QB is worth that amount of capital when building from ground zero .. which is where the Jets are.  Ive said this before .. Wilson/Fields ... to me save level ... different game ... can win with both ... but I prefer Wilson's game. Quick, accurate passing game that depends on reading defenses.

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, bitonti said:

Until they run 40's or something real, the only aspect of Zach Wilson that's better than Justin Fields is his public relations hype machine. 

he might have better film against worse comp 

he might run a faster 40 than Fields. 

Fields has signature wins against real competition, probably measures better, stronger and yes @FidelioJet taller than Wilson 

Fields is a known quantity, Wilson is the flavor of the week. 

Neither is really worth the 2 overall pick. JD probably wants to trade down and see who falls 

Bit, we are on the same side of this argument, but there is literally no f*cking way Wilson is going to run a faster 40 than Fields. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Bit, we are on the same side of this argument, but there is literally no f*cking way Wilson is going to run a faster 40 than Fields. 

How fast were Brady, Moon, Aikman, Brees, Marino, Bradshaw, Stafford, Stabler, Montana,  Elway, Favre ....

Edited by Dunnie

Fields is getting hate for 3 reasons:

1) Being an Ohio State QB - Since Ohio State has literally not put out a good professional QB in my lifetime, people want to assume that Fields will also be terrible. Aside from how bad this logic is because OSU has changed coaching staffs over the years, its just a bad practice. People were scared about picking Aaron Rodgers because he was a Jeff Tedford QB (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/37795-aaron-rodgers-will-flop-just-like-every-other-tedford-product). People thought Mahomes would be a bust because he came from an air raid system. I could go on, but you get the point. 

2) Accusations of being a 1 read QB - There are many videos dispelling this myth. Just to a search for @win4ever on this forum and he breaks down why this is a myth. 

3) Timing of bad play. If you are going to play poorly, do it when no one is paying attention. Fields started off 2020. ON FIRE. He literally had more TDs than incompletions in one of his early games this season. He started off so hot that some people were wondering if he was going to compete with Lawrence to go #1 overall. Then, with everyone paying attention to Fields, he had the Indiana and Northwestern games. So everyone soured on him. Then after Clemson, people were back onboard the Fields hype game. Then he did not repeat that performance against Alabama (I thought Fields was ok in that game), people were back to being lukewarm on him. 

Lawrence had a mediocre stretch of games at the beginning of his sophomore season, but it was a "long time ago" so people disregard it. With Wilson, everyone remembers how he played against his 2020 schedule, but if he ended 2020 with the tape he put on in 2019 against Washington and Utah, we would be a late 1st/early 2nd round prospect. The moral of the story is, if you are going to play bad, play bad when no one is watching. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

How fast were Brady, Moon, Aikman, Brees, Marino, Bradshaw, Stafford, Stabler, Montana,  Elway, Favre ....

Mobility is more important to the position now than it was when the QBs you listed played. Also, that was not the point of my post. I don't think Fields is better than Wilson just because the former is faster, I was simply refuting Bit's point that Wilson would run a faster 40 than Fields. 

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Mobility is more important to the position now than it was when the QBs you listed played. Also, that was not the point of my post. I don't think Fields is better than Wilson just because the former is faster, I was simply refuting Bit's point that Wilson would run a faster 40 than Fields. 

On that account i completely agree with you ...

regarding how important a dual threat QB is ...

I dont agree with that statement .. its a fallacy propagated by the NFL because of the number of QBs that are coming out that simply cannot read defenses.

You wont change my mind ... a smart, deadly accurate, quick release pocket passer in infinitely more important than a QB/RB.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:09 PM, joewilly12 said:

Because I don't value his opinion in who the NY Jets should select in the draft at QB if they decide to go that route. 

Chris Simms rode his name and his fathers legacy in college and in the NFL he was never any good. 

He had horrible statistics as a starting QB what makes him a QB expert all of a sudden. 

It’s fair that you don’t respect his opinion.  Not sure If his bad stats are a solid reason to dismiss him

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm trying to give this wilson kid the benefit of the doubt but you're probably right. Fields looks like a 4.6 dude and Wilson might be a 4.8

I'm trying to give this wilson kid the benefit of the doubt but you're probably right. Fields looks like a 4.6 dude and Wilson might be a 4.8

I think Fields is going to run in the 4.4s https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/how-fast-is-justin-fields-his-40-yard-dash-wouldve-been-fastest-for-qb-at-nfl-combine/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1