Joe Douglas should part with coveted draft capital to get Deshaun Watson

NYJ1

16 hours ago, MykePM said:

You can even toss in our extra 3rd this year to sweeten the pot, and we'd still essentially have a full draft complement this year and next (and ongoing) after acquiring Deshaun Watson.  I'd even toss Bless Austin in to allow Houston to say "we even got a young, cheap starting CB in the deal". 

So, the deal would be:

• 2 firsts (including the 2nd overall pick this year, and their choice of non-Lawrence QBs)
  • 1 second (2nd in the round, almost a first)
  • 1 third
  • Bless Austin

This assumes the trade of Darnold for a 2nd.  If we could get a low first for him, we can include that instead and make it 3 firsts instead of 2 firsts and a second.

That deal may very well walk the line between what Houston would accept and what Joe D can give up without crippling us.

Thanks for putting out a hypothetical trade. These Watson comments should always be accompanied with what you’re willing to trade. Otherwise it’s an empty debate. Of course we want Watson. But how much are you willing to trade is the question.

This is about the max I would offer. 2 1st, 2nd and a 3rd plus Austin is a good deal. Assuming we can get a 2nd for Darnold, that leaves us in position to build a good team over the next two years.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Totally agree.   I think Saleh and Watson (instead of Darnold and Gase) and this crappy team (which we can't upgrade) you probably increase wins 100%...very feasible I think.  So we go from 2 wins to 4.

Maybe 5 if things falls right.

Case in point.

Utter stupidity, no offense.

4 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Can't upgrade? Are we using all our draft picks to trade for Watson, or maybe all of our cap space to sign him?

No we aren't. If JD is what most of us think he is as a GM, he will have plenty of ammo to improve the team.

Yes we are on both accounts.

Well, all premium picks will be traded for two years - and yes, the cap space flexibility we had will be gone.  

So we'll be able to make slight upgrades to the worst roster in the NFL - which likely won't be enough to not be the worst roster in the NFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

What’s the cost that you think is a happy medium? And what’s the trade where you’re like that’s too much?

#2; #23; ‘22 #1; ‘23 #2...... can live with this

Any of the John McClain offers on Twitter ....... crazy offers of 4 #1’s and QW 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, all premium picks will be traded for two years - and yes, the cap space flexibility we had will be gone.  

So we'll be able to make slight upgrades to the worst roster in the NFL - which likely won't be enough to not be the worst roster in the NFL.

Going from the 30-32nd best QB in Sam, to a top 5 QB in Watson is literally the most important upgrade you can make to a roster. This team isn't as hopeless as you may think.

The cap space after Watson will be fine, and honestly it will be a bargain once new QB contracts start to surface. Trading Darnold reloads some of the lost picks and you know damn well JD will look to trade back and acquire even more picks. But again, the most important upgrade will be bottom 3 QB to top 5.

And Houston's roster is 100% worse than the Jets.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Can't upgrade? Are we using all our draft picks to trade for Watson, or maybe all of our cap space to sign him?

No we aren't. If JD is what most of us think he is as a GM, he will have plenty of ammo to improve the team.

I guess time will tell ... none of us know the real deal being discussed.

Edited by Dunnie

9 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Going from the 30-32nd best QB in Sam, to a top 5 QB in Watson is literally the most important upgrade you can make to a roster. This team isn't as hopeless as you may think.

The cap space after Watson will be fine, and honestly it will be a bargain once new QB contracts start to surface. Trading Darnold reloads some of the lost picks and you know damn well JD will look to trade back and acquire even more picks. But again, the most important upgrade will be bottom 3 QB to top 5.

Only a bargain if he brings us to the playoffs every year as any QB making 32million a year should. Its one of the reasons drafting wilson makes so much sense ... his salary would be nowhere near that and if he is the real deal we have built a team already before his huge extension.  If not we keep swinging till we hit or another Watson comes available.  Not outlandish as is illustrated by whats happening in Seattle (and what happened with Stafford).

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Case in point.

Utter stupidity, no offense.

No offense, but have a sense of humor.  I was just kidding.

Of course the team will be better with Watson, I think everyone understands that, but the cost to acquire him will make it very difficult to build a Super Bowl contending team around him in that 3 year window.  

Will the team this year be better with Watson than Wilson? most certainly...

But over the next 3, 4, 5 years I think as those picks develop - and the QB matures, we'll be in a much better position long term.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

#2; #23; ‘22 #1; ‘23 #2...... can live with this

Any of the John McClain offers on Twitter ....... crazy offers of 4 #1’s and QW 

This is too much for me ... 

My limit would be ...

#2, #34, '22 #1 ... thats it. No other team is in the running.... offering more is bidding against ourselves. 

Houston doesnt take it .. suck it .. we'll draft WIlson.

Edited by Dunnie

36 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Some of you guys are overvaluing the everliving sh*t out of these draft picks. Yes, Quinnen and Mekhi are both good players and also 1st round picks. 

Now go back a few more years and look at the othet selections. Trading 3 1sts for Watson, given the Jets current situation, is a steal TBH.

Nah ... we got a haul for Jamal ... your leaving that out.

17 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Yes it is,  The roster is awful, literally the worst in the league. 

We have two good players - Williams and Becton and guess how we got them?

That's right, our last two first round picks.  Yet you guys want to give up 4 of them.  "Eh, it's only 4 picks" is what I hear until you really look at what you're giving up.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is some Chicken Little sh*t right here.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It's living in reality, not some pipe dream that Superman is going to come here - coming off a 4 win season and take this crappy roster to the Super Bowl in the next three years - without any first round picks for the next two years and his large salary.

I would love the idea of having a top 5 QB - and if the Jets roster were in better shape I would be all for it.  It's not, it's an F-in mess.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

c'mon man .. your better than this .. can you at least acknowledge the possibility that this line of thinking could potentially be accurate ? spending all your draft capital on a superstar to bring him to a sh*tty team ... it has never worked ... and never will.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's living in reality, not some pipe dream that Superman is going to come here - coming off a 4 win season and take this crappy roster to the Super Bowl in the next three years - without any first round picks for the next two years and his large salary.

I would love the idea of having a top 5 QB - and if the Jets roster were in better shape I would be all for it.  It's not, it's an F-in mess.

Enumerate for us the picks and cap space the Jets will have left after the Deshaun Watson trade. Feel free to use your most comically absurd Deshaun Watson asking price, but please be as specific as possible. Thx.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

c'mon man .. your better than this .. can you at least acknowledge the possibility that this line of thinking could potentially be accurate ? spending all your draft capital on a superstar to bring him to a sh*tty team ... it has never worked ... and never will.

It is not accurate to say the the Jets are giving up “all their draft capital” for Deshaun, my man,

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Enumerate for us the picks and cap space the Jets will have left after the Deshaun Watson trade. Feel free to use your most comically absurd Deshaun Watson asking price, but please be as specific as possible. Thx.

2, 23, 34 and the two 1st next year..  So we have two 3's this year and no 1st next year.

The likelihood of either of those 3rd rounders having any significant impact this year or next is minuscule.  The year after, maybe the two can turn into something but again - maybe he won't...Now you're two years into the three he has on his contract.  And Watsons' agent is already talking to Belichick about when he's a FA in a year.....

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It is not accurate to say the the Jets are giving up “all their draft capital” for Deshaun, my man,

Serious question, if this was for a “pasty”, kid rock loving player who was the exact same player production wise, would you still propose trading as much draft capital for Him? Asking for a friend.

I think any intelligent person can acknowledge that Watson is a huge talent.

I equally think intelligent people can reasonably expect the cost for him will be detrimental to the development of this team.

If we can get him for 2,34 and next years first rounder ... its a steal ...

But there is no way this will happen.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

It boggles my mind how many people are at ease with paying Darnold 20-25 mil instead of Watson 30 mil. All for those coveted extra draft picks.

• Upvote 1

My question is ,where was all this Watson love when we could have drafted him in the first place ? All I heard was how he was never going to be a good NFL QB or a strong pocket passer. This by many here who are willing to sell the farm to get him now.
How many here would have thought when we brought Vinny to the Jets we would become the team that we did ?
My point is, building a strong team on both sides of the ball and bring in a solid game manager to play QB can pay much high dividends then a great QB with no talent around him. Many argue that one player can make many players better. I say 10 players can make one QB a great QB, ie Vinny.
Keep every damn draft pick ,trade out of the 2 spot for more picks and don’t draft any QB before the 3rd round. Whoever we draft is going to be a project anyway and won’t play for a year or two. Then fill the roster with young talented players and a few Veterans FA to fill some needed holes and we have the beginnings of a long term winning team.
As far as the QB spot, there will be more then enough guys with starting experience to chose from. We also have the option to keep Sam and let him compete for the starting with the new veteran if he loses he becomes the backup. Maybe sitting and watching and learn for awhile would do him some good. We also have Morgan who if the coaching staff feels he has progressed enough could fill that role and allow us to move Sam for even more picks.
So as a over fifty year fan who has seen my fair share of of stupidity by the team I love, I say “stop trading away the future for instant gratification” ! Build through the draft develop our own players for the most part and great FA’s will want to come here. The rollercoaster ride will end and we can become a winning club who can compete for a championship for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

It boggles my mind how many people are at ease with paying Darnold 20-25 mil instead of Watson 30 mil. All for those coveted extra draft picks.

The problem isnt the one year my friend .. its the skyrocketing consistent drain Watson will be ... 32mill in 2023, 2024 .... Sam will be 25mill next year .. if he performs ... we extend him .. if he doesnt .. we trade or cut him ... personally i think we should cut bait right now, while there is any sort of trade value .. but i would be fine holding him for another year competing with Wilson.

Edited by Dunnie

8 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

I think what people are not recognizing here is that Watson has three years on his contract - We just gave up 4 first round picks to get him....Only two things can happen....

1) After three years he leaves and goes wherever he wants.

2) We redo his contract in his second year - which he will likely demand to be the highest paid QB in the league.

This idea that he's going to come here and play under his current contract, understanding the situation the Jets are in is naive.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The problem isnt the one year my friend .. its the skyrocketing consistent drain Watson will be ... 32mill in 2023, 2024 .... Sam will be 25mill next year .. if he performs ... we extend him .. if he doesnt .. we trade or cut him ... personally i think we should cut bait right now, while there is any sort of trade value .. but i would be fine holding him for another year competing with Wilson.

Well, that's the whole thing, "if he performs" is the problem I have. What does he have to do to merit that extension? My guess is it will be alot less than other QBs since he might be, at that point, the only game in town, realistically or at the very least someone you can talk yourself into, like Sanchez once was. He can just be mediocre and suddenly you're left with a dilemma that you don't need to be in.

Which is why I agree with you, we should cut bait on him asap

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Thanks for putting out a hypothetical trade. These Watson comments should always be accompanied with what you’re willing to trade. Otherwise it’s an empty debate. Of course we want Watson. But how much are you willing to trade is the question.

This is about the max I would offer. 2 1st, 2nd and a 3rd plus Austin is a good deal. Assuming we can get a 2nd for Darnold, that leaves us in position to build a good team over the next two years.

#2, #23, next year's first, plus garnish (3rd or 4th, or Maye, or Mims).  Throw in Lamar for free.. addition by subtraction.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, fltflo said:

My question is ,where was all this Watson love when we could have drafted him in the first place ?

Some of us wanted the NY Jets to draft him, but you know never good enough many said. 

There have been many others 

Here we are today after 1 of the worst seasons in NY Jets history. 

52 years and counting...........

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I think what people are not recognizing here is that Watson has three years on his contract - We just gave up 4 first round picks to get him....Only two things can happen....

2) We redo his contract in his second year - which he will likely demand to be the highest paid QB in the league.

This idea that he's going to come here and play under his current contract, understanding the situation the Jets are in is naive.

Yeah, but Fidelio, he has absolutely no leverage to renegotiate. I doubt after shooting his way out of Texas, he'd then what, hold out for more money?

I would think that any team trading for him would know that he wouldn't do that.

Also, teams are usually very good at not letting their franchise QB's go in free agency. If he's here, odds are he's here for as long as we want him.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Never would I ever had considered T0m Shane and I in agreement on anything!

On DW I’m your biggest fan!
Cheer Documentary GIF by NETFLIX  Go T0m, Go!!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

2, 23, 34 and the two 1st next year..  So we have two 3's this year and no 1st next year.

Wow, that’s a lot. Let’s review where we’d be if we spent that historic amount on a trade for Watson.

2021: 

~$70 million in cap space

Second round pick (return on Darnold trade)

Two thirds

Two fourths

A fifth and a sixth

2022:

~$100 mil in cap space

Second rounder

Third rounder

Two Fives, three sixes

Forgetting your fan fiction regarding Watson scheming to burn three years of his career as a stepping stone to play for the Patriots in 2025 for a 72 year-old Bill Belichick, I think the Jets will be ok in terms of putting a roster around him

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Serious question, if this was for a “pasty”, kid rock loving player who was the exact same player production wise, would you still propose trading as much draft capital for Him? Asking for a friend.

It is your belief that Zack Wilson will produce on the level Deshaun Watson has produced?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, that’s a lot. Let’s review where we’d be if we spent that historic amount on a trade for Watson.

2021: 

~$70 million in cap space

Second round pick (return on Darnold trade)

Two thirds

Two fourths

A fifth and a sixth

2022:

~$100 mil in cap space

Second rounder

Third rounder

Two Fives, three sixes

Forgetting your fan fiction regarding Watson scheming to burn three years of his career as a stepping stone to play for the Patriots in 2025 for a 72 year-old Bill Belichick, I think the Jets will be ok in terms of putting a roster around him

Plus Watson's plays for 15 more years.  We get a complete set of picks from year 3 on....  and we don't have to keep wasting our ones on  QB's that can't play.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is just not true. He has 3 years guaranteed and then 2 years with no guaranteed money around $30m/yr and then the franchise tag. If Watson plays like a top 3 qb, hell get a new deal, but the Jets will have a strong negotiating position bc of the contract he’s on. 

• Upvote 2